Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up my new Tele today. Love it.

I used to only have one guitar and one amp before I started reading posts here. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

'sup Amp buddy?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I got this really awful Kingston amp today. Actually I bought it a few years ago and gave it to my dad who kept it in his office to play at work. He's retiring and clearing out his office and asked if i wanted it.

It sounds truly awful but in an oddly cool kind of way. The reverb borders on insane and the cab looks like it has 2 6" speakers. It's not very loud, like maybe 20 watts Solid State.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 21, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

New Lakland Skyline 44-02, fretless.

Fredescu
Jun 19, 2006

Mustang III V2. I ordered this over three months ago. It took forever to come into stock in Australia. It's been out for ages elsewhere but has only just come into stock in this last weekend.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Need to lay some bass down on some recordings, so decided to pick up one of these:

Plays very well. Active 3-band EQ which is very flexible. Looks edible. Result!

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

Not a super recent purchase, but it's my baby! (A Yamaha VA5 viola)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have a hihat now! Set of fairly old Zildjians and a Tama stand, bought from Craigslist. They've obviously seen some miles, but everything works great and sounds great. Unfortunately, fitting it into my existing kit is like playing Trauma Center and Tetris simultaneously, except you're bent double trying to get all the stands to fit together and everything weighs a jillion pounds.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

Allen Wren posted:

Unfortunately, fitting it into my existing kit is like playing Trauma Center and Tetris simultaneously, except you're bent double trying to get all the stands to fit together and everything weighs a jillion pounds.
Rebuttal: vegas style custom hi hat stand

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I just got one of the baller deals of the decade. TC Helicon VoiceTone Synth, brand new, in box and sealed, for, somehow, $109. Can't find it anywhere else online for under $212. A lot of places have it at $299.

Nothing else on the website seems to be as good a deal as this, so I guess it's just one of those crazy things that comes up once in a while. If anyone wants to join me in adding some hot autotune goodness to their band, jump on this son:

http://www.proaudiostar.com/tc-heli...CFciY4AodWE4ABA

treble
Feb 14, 2001
My newest bass... a Mosrite.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Does it count if it's a whole bunch of wood I've bought and assembled myself from plans?

2x Bill Fitzmaurice T60 pro audio folded horn subwoofers.

aaand a pair of Omnitop 12s to go with those.

The subs are complete and got caned at a DJ gig on Saturday and the existing pair of Omnitops handled the top end. The entire system hammered the poo poo out of the venue with crystal clear sound and naff all distortion. It sounded amazing. I'm doubling up though because y'know, overkill...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There is no overkill. Just open fire and WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Nice job.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

treble posted:

Unghhhh.

Unghhhhh fuckkkkkkkkkkk.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

When Arturia's Spark first came out I didn't think much of it; especially since I had just gotten NI's Maschine. I've since become a huge fan of Arturia's stuff. It's getting better and better and is really fun. I got the Spark Vintage Drums with the V Collection 3 (which is a must if you're into synths) and when I started playing around with it I finally began to see how awesome the controller would be with the software. So, my Spark just arrived in the mail today. This is such a fun instrument. For anyone who has Maschine or other drum machines, I would still whole-heartedly recommend getting a Spark.

For anyone into synths, I would also recommend checking out Arturia's new Analog Lab as well. It's predecessor, Analog Laboratory, never did much for me and seemed buggy as gently caress. The new Analog Lab though is fuckin' great. I have the old Arturia keyboard (Analog Experience 49) and it instantly recognizes it and automaps the best parameters for any synth. Also, if you have the V-Collection, you can open the synths up directly in Analog Lab for more extensive editing. It's sweet; buy it.

Fake edit: My apologies for my huge boner for Arturia; I'm just getting more and more stoked on what they're doing.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I bought a used PA for a $500 show out in the middle of the desert. We needed a PA and nobody would lend us one, except for one guy who wanted to rent it out for $100. Fifty dollars extra and now I have my own.

EDIT: broken link, bleh; different site, different price. We got it for $150 along with a couple of good quality stands.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 3, 2013

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

treble posted:

You have good taste.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

After 12 years of playing a Yamaha Pacifica, I've finally bought a real electric, and it's essentially the guitar I lusted after when I was a kid :swoon:

American Special!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Didn't mean to post anything yet, just a big fan of seafoam/surf green guitars!

I haven't paid for Imgur, so I don't think I can link images the way I want to. I thought it was free, but I think I am mistaken.

Here's the 1988 JEM77FP with the new Seafoam Green "Premiere" JEM70V. Bridge Evolution replaced with a Crunch Lab, in parallel by default but series is available by pulling up the tone knob.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 6, 2013

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

88h88 posted:

Does it count if it's a whole bunch of wood I've bought and assembled myself from plans?

2x Bill Fitzmaurice T60 pro audio folded horn subwoofers.

aaand a pair of Omnitop 12s to go with those.

I'd love to see a step by step construction of this. Maybe not appropriate for this forum, but I'm curious.

Hypnolobster posted:

American Special!

Congratulations. Does it live up to expectations?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Automatic Slim posted:

Congratulations. Does it live up to expectations?

It does. It feels very very alive compared to my Yamaha. Obviously it sounds a lot better, but just the feel of a note is huge.

I don't adore the finished maple neck, but it's not bothering me. I think eventually I might pick up a rosewood board neck for it, and I want to load a pickguard from Warmoth with P90's :getin:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Gimme that floral Jem now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Automatic Slim posted:

I'd love to see a step by step construction of this. Maybe not appropriate for this forum, but I'm curious.

They're built from plans purchased from Bill Fitzmaurice and there's a forum where people post their builds. You can vary the width of these designs for more output, mine are both 18" wide (so internal panels are 17" wide, plus the two 0.5" sides = 18"). There's a guy building 16 full width ones for a club install he's doing and he's documenting it all really well, his craftmanship is also exemplary, the thread's here if you want to take a look http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=19854 it's not quite step by step but gives you an idea of the amount of work that goes into putting one together.

The end result is worth it though if you have the time and are willing to learn the processes involved, the bass from these things is amazing, the folds filter out distortion so your bass notes are all stupidly clear and defined, if you've not heard a folded horn they're really a different experience. And these big bastards have output down to 25hz so they're serious bits of kit.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 6, 2013

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

It does. It feels very very alive compared to my Yamaha. Obviously it sounds a lot better, but just the feel of a note is huge.

I don't adore the finished maple neck, but it's not bothering me. I think eventually I might pick up a rosewood board neck for it, and I want to load a pickguard from Warmoth with P90's :getin:

Put another $200 into a project like that and you'll have a whole separate guitar!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Perhaps I'm crazy but I loving LOVE maple necks, seriously. I love everything about them and I dunno why people prefer rosewood fingerboards.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I like ebony otherwise, but maple fingerboards with a tung oil finish on strats should be federally mandated.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 8, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

cat doter posted:

Perhaps I'm crazy but I loving LOVE maple necks, seriously. I love everything about them and I dunno why people prefer rosewood fingerboards.

Aesthetics. Tonal differences.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've never believed there's a tangible tonal difference between fingerboard material, but the feel between a glossy finish neck and an oiled neck is massive. I stray to rosewood or ebony just because they're usually oiled, and for some goddamned reason maple necks are ruined with laquer/urethane/whatever.

no dad im not gay! posted:

Put another $200 into a project like that and you'll have a whole separate guitar!

So you're saying I'm doing everything perfectly?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Maple necks can have stability problems without a hard finish, which is why most manufacturers apply one.

I hate those thick lacquer coats on necks too, but there are plenty of maple-necked instruments with thin finishes out there. I have a maple-on-maple necked SX Jazz 5 with a very nice finish that a luthier friend of mine applied. It's perfectly stable, but so thin that you can feel the wood grain.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Hypnolobster posted:

After 12 years of playing a Yamaha Pacifica, I've finally bought a real electric, and it's essentially the guitar I lusted after when I was a kid :swoon:

American Special!

I just bought this also, same surf green color. It's my first electric in about 5 years as I've only been playing classical. It's probably in the top 3 guitars I've ever played. It is the best Strat I have ever played. The only con so far is that I am not in love with the tremelo. It feels a little cheap, sort of like the ones on the Squiers.

Luna fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 9, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Apropos of maple necks, I built this guitar to be my "blues guitar" in 1992 because a friend of mine at NCSU had this Schecter neck and was willing to sell it to me for $50.
It's all maple, 22 frets, flat radius with big frets. When I bought it, it didn't have an excess of finish on it anywhere. Sure, it's pretty thick compared to something crazy like an Ibanez Wizard ruler-thin neck, but I've built this Swamp-ash guitar around it and I clean it with steel wool and the neck feels great and does not move.
When the seasons change and I am adjusting truss rods on my other necks, this guitar just stays the same. It's not a baseball-bat neck dimension, either.

I have had the frets leveled (it's 21 years old) and it is ready for another leveling. Otherwise, it's the same neck as I put on it in 1992.

Now, I started out with a three-ply white pickguard and various brands of "authentic" single coils. Eventually I put the Fender pearloid pickguard on it (which has yellowed a LOT) and a Pearly Gates with push/pull series/parallel switch on it, and the other two pickups are mid and neck Texas Specials (I did this before the Jimmy Vaughan guitar came out, so I'll just take the credit) and until I got my RG471AH it was my only fixed-bridge go-to all-purpose guitar.

Years of scrubbing and oiling this neck means there's little finish left anywhere on this maple neck, and yet it's more solid to temp/humidity changes than the rest of my collection.

Maple doesn't have to be a glazed doughnut to be awesome.

What have I done for the body? Well, I initially put Benwood paste-wood filler into the end-grain which turned it that ugly orange color. I fully expected to paint it, which is why I filled the grain and ruined the color.
Instead, I've just kept it as-is and maybe, someday, I'll fill in the dents and dings and have it painted grand piano black. I'll probably just leave it alone.

I know you have all heard this before, but this is what she sounds like through Amplitube 3.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Maple fingerboards age wonderfully.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
seriously, old rear end maple that has been around the block a few times is the best option for fingeboards.

In other news, I just ordered a Matrix GT1000FX to power my Axe-Fx 2. I'm pretty excited for it to get here!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

Maple fingerboards age wonderfully.

No argument here:

Although to be totally honest my preference (based solely on looks, not tone) is rosewood or ebony.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
I have a hand-me-down strat with a worn down maple fingerboard and it rules. Rosewood always looks cheap to me.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ragehaver posted:

Rosewood always looks cheap to me.

You and I are opposite people. All of my guitars have rosewood fingerboards. I didn't realize how much of a hassle a terrible maple board could be until I got my '85 MIJ Tele. It was so glossy that my gross sweaty fingers would prefer to stick to it rather than astroglide gently along it. Bends were a nightmare. Swapped it for an AVRI Strat neck with Rosewood board and will never ever under any circumstances buy a guitar with a maple board as long as there's the rosewood option. That being said, my uncle's '73 Strat has a maple board and it plays wonderfully.

Nope, my man, rosewood is where it's at. It's always at least a little bit gritty and sandpapery, always dry and never sticky. The tactile sensation that you get from it that lets you know it's there, and that you're actually pressing the string into something and getting a feedback response in return. What a terrible way for me to explain what I'm trying to get across. Reading that back, I don't even think what I just said makes sense, but that's what I get from rosewood.

I would post a picture of my most recent gear purchase but it's just 10 male/female XLR jacks and 25' of DMX cable from Mammoth Electronics. Gonna solder this motherfucker up some little baby patch cords is what I'm gonna do. :colbert:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The maple necks on the current American Deluxe Strats are the best I've ever played. Very hard sturdy wood with a smooth feel and the tone is clear and punchy. You get a tactile feel of how each note pops off of the neck from your pick and blooms throughout the body.

That said, I'm also fond of the mahogany + ebony top combo. You get the warm woody tone from the mahogany with a nice maple like snap bringing the sound to the forefront.

Wood :3:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I like rosewood fretboards so much that I bought a guitar with a solid rosewood neck. :smug:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

sofullofhate posted:

I like rosewood fretboards so much that I bought a guitar with a solid rosewood neck. :smug:

"Whatever motherfucker." - George Harrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So my Fuzz Hugger Algal bloom arrived a couple days ago. It was wait listed 3-5 weeks but it ended up arriving in less than 3. It came highly recommended from this forum and I gotta say it really is the exact fuzz that I wanted, it really is the most versatile fuzz I've ever owned.