Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
CJ7 was pretty bad, too. Same with Dragonball, even though he only produced it.

Which is a drat shame because Kung Fu Hustle is one of my favorite movies ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Anyone know any good films that have a distinct feeling of getting faster and faster without ever slowing down or stopping the intensity of events? Like the film equivalent of Super Hexagon.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Anyone know any good films that have a distinct feeling of getting faster and faster without ever slowing down or stopping the intensity of events? Like the film equivalent of Super Hexagon.

Run Lola Run seems like it would fit the bill of rising stakes and faster scenes.

Inception and Requiem for a Dream both get more chaotic as they go on.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Evil dead 2
Frontier[s]

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone suggest a few good movies in the Magical Realism style?

I already know of Amelie and don't care for Woody Allen.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

No Gravitas posted:

Synecdoche NY

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Would The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus count or is that too far in to the fantasy genre?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No Gravitas posted:

Children of Nature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJP8NDaqFU
Don't let the really cheesy trailer fool you it's actually really good.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Fanny and Alexander

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Maybe http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477080/?ref_=sr_1

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

You know of Amelie, but have you seen any other films made by Jean-Pierre Jeunet? Because they pretty much all fit the bill (except for, eh, Alien: Resurrection, but he was just doing that to pay for Amelie) and most of them are really good. Micmacs is very weird and funny, Un Long Dimanche de Fiançialles/A Very Long Engagement is a bittersweet WW1-version of Amelie, and City of Lost Children is just fantastic. I haven't gotten around to seeing Delicatessen yet, so I don't really know anything about it. But really, if you just watch one film from this list, make sure it's City. For Christ sakes, it has Ron Perlman speaking French, and he learned his lines phonetically!
Oh, and another good film is L'écume des jours/Mood Indigo. Different director, though.

If you don't want French films or Audrey Tautou (but really, who doesn't like her?), then you should try The Adjustment Bureau, pretty much anything from Gilliam (I think you'll like The Fisher King), Looking for Eric (a bit unknown but absolutely wonderful), Moulin Rouge! (if you like Baz Luhrman), The Hudsucker Proxy, Stranger then Fiction, The Illusionist (don't really know if it counts, though) and, if Kafka-adaptions count, Orson Welles' version of The Trial.

If I can think of any more I'll post them. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh, and a wildcard! Revolver from Guy Ritchie is what happens when he throws Snatch and magical realism together. I quite like it for that, though I seem to be alone in that opinion.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 10, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you, everyone. This is was very helpful.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A lot of Kim-Ki Duk's films fit the magical realism bill, especially 3-Iron and Dream. Might be a bit darker than what you're looking for though.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Some of the the most famous screwball comedies, like His Girl Friday, kind of do this. They completely and unceasingly drown the viewer in gags.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just watched Pan's Labyrinth and I'm really confused how the Captain deduced that the Doctor was working with the Rebels just by noticing that the Doctor's vial of antibiotics has been slightly used. He's a doctor, doctors use medicine to treat patients. Is it really so surprising that a doctor would have administered antibiotics to somebody at one point or another?

There's just a extremely huge jump from "vial of antibiotics has been used" to "he's a motherfucking rebel traitor."

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 10, 2013

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just watched Pan's Labyrinth and I'm really confused how the Captain deduced that the Doctor was working with the Rebels just by noticing that the Doctor's vial of antibiotics has been slightly used. He's a doctor, doctors use medicine to treat patients. Is it really so surprising that a doctor would have administered antibiotics to somebody at one point or another?

There's just a extremely huge jump from "vial of antibiotics has been used" to "he's a motherfucking rebel traitor."

It's been a while since I saw it, but didn't they find an identical vial in the rebel camp at one point? Anyway, I thought he only shoot the doctor because he'd killed the dude they caught and tortured?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

SubG posted:

You mean comparatively modern Hong Kong directors, or historically? I think my overall favourite currently-working Hong Kong director is Johnnie To. He's pretty loving prolific and most of his stuff is at least worth a watch. He's a very mainstream, high-profile director, so his films are pretty easy to find. Some recommendations: The Heroic Trio (1993) (a modern action film deconstruction of wuxia), Running Out of Time (1999) (light-ish police procedural/thriller), The Mission (1999) (psychological drama buried in a triad film), PTU (2003) (arthouse mood piece in a police procedural).
It's not exactly a Hong Kong cop movie in the Hard Boiled sense, but I think my favorite Johnnie To movie is Breaking News, and it is about Hong Kong cops. Really, I've enjoyed everything I've seen of his, although a few of the triad-related ones have kind of blended together in my mind.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shanty posted:

It's been a while since I saw it, but didn't they find an identical vial in the rebel camp at one point? Anyway, I thought he only shoot the doctor because he'd killed the dude they caught and tortured?

Yeah, it's because the doctor euthanizes the rebel mid-torture.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 11, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh are we still doing spoiler tags for 7 year old movies? I had no idea.

Shanty posted:

Yes, they do find that at some point earlier in the film. And yes, it was identical. So what? My bottle of Aspirin probably looks identical to your bottle of Aspirin.

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, it's because the doctor euthanizes the rebel mid-torture.

When the Captain goes to his office and compares the Doctor's vial with the vial they found in the woods he screams "son of a bitch" or something to that effect and from that moment already made the jump that the Doctor was working with the rebels.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh are we still doing spoiler tags for 7 year old movies? I had no idea.

Yes, they do find that at some point earlier in the film. And yes, it was identical. So what? My bottle of Aspirin probably looks identical to your bottle of Aspirin.

When the Captain goes to his office and compares the Doctor's vial with the vial they found in the woods he screams "son of a bitch" or something to that effect and from that moment already made the jump that the Doctor was working with the rebels.

Well I guess A) There probably aren't that many doctors around, but mainly B) The captain is a psychopath. He's probably going off his "read" of the doctor, just using whatever as evidence of what he already "knows". He's characterized as the type of dude who stares people down and judges character on strength-of-handshake and poo poo like that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its also important to keep in mind that the rebels probably have an extremely difficult time obtaining medical supplies since they are out in the middle of the woods and are considered criminals by the government. Its not that big of a leap to assume someone working for the military is helping them out.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Did Jack Reacher mostly bomb because it came out around the time of the Sandy Hook Massacre? I just saw it, I guess it didn't really have summer blockbuster potential but its better than the loving Lone Ranger for gods sake and it seems massively underrated and unappreciated

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

cargo cult posted:

Did Jack Reacher mostly bomb because it came out around the time of the Sandy Hook Massacre? I just saw it, I guess it didn't really have summer blockbuster potential but its better than the loving Lone Ranger for gods sake and it seems massively underrated and unappreciated

You say this like The Lone Ranger isn't bombing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

DetoxP posted:

Hahahaha I just looked it up and Lone Ranger's opening weekend ($29,210,849) is almost exactly double Jack Reacher's ($15,210,156) on a budget 3.6 times greater. When the big ones bomb, they bomb hard.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

DetoxP posted:

no i said it like is bombing...

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

cargo cult posted:

The problem with Jack Reacher is that the people that didn't read the books don't know what the gently caress it's about, and a significant number of the people that _have_ read the books were turned off by Tom Cruise being cast as a character who is supposed to be built like a linebacker. I know he owns the rights and why the decision was made, but that doesn't mean people didn't automatically veto going to see it.

It's a shame, because it was a decent movie.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Isn't $200mil against a $60mil budget a pretty good success?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the title is like one big tugjob joke.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Isn't $200mil against a $60mil budget a pretty good success?

I think so. I've read on a few sites that movie has to make twice it's budget back to be considered successful. The 2x budget figure also includes international totals.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think so. I've read on a few sites that movie has to make twice it's budget back to be considered successful. The 2x budget figure also includes international totals.

Not always true. TV deals, DVD/Blu-Ray, streaming media and licensing deals is still a huge factor.

The overseas take also factors in differently, since most studios have an office operating in even the smallest countries, a movie needs to make a baseline amount before the studios starts to seeing any money and even at that point they don't get more than 25-30%.

I once saw the release budget for The Matrix. It's an old movie, but iirc the danish distributor needed to make 1,2 DKK million before it broke even and they could start funneling money to WB.

Trump fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 12, 2013

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Last fall was really strong for movies, too. I saw Skyfall 4 times in theaters, plus several other movies. The kkkasual viewers had a lot of options.

Still thinkin about WHD. What other movies are about pre-emptive war? Dr Strangelove and Sum of all Fears come to mind.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

effectual posted:

What other movies are about pre-emptive war? Dr Strangelove and Sum of all Fears come to mind.

W.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

effectual posted:

The kkkasual viewers had a lot of options.

Lots of racist movies appearing in cinemas last year?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

effectual posted:

Last fall was really strong for movies, too. I saw Skyfall 4 times in theaters, plus several other movies. The kkkasual viewers had a lot of options.

Still thinkin about WHD. What other movies are about pre-emptive war? Dr Strangelove and Sum of all Fears come to mind.

Fail Safe. It is an awesome movie and got screwed over by Dr. Strangelove.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lots of racist movies appearing in cinemas last year?

Just a joke term from wow, sorry.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll watch each and every one of them and perhaps the adrenaline will unlock some sort of dormant power within my body.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trump posted:

Not always true. TV deals, DVD/Blu-Ray, streaming media and licensing deals is still a huge factor.

The overseas take also factors in differently, since most studios have an office operating in even the smallest countries, a movie needs to make a baseline amount before the studios starts to seeing any money and even at that point they don't get more than 25-30%.

I once saw the release budget for The Matrix. It's an old movie, but iirc the danish distributor needed to make 1,2 DKK million before it broke even and they could start funneling money to WB.

This is true but the BO figure is used as a proxy for estimating what other media will get. On 2x BO alone nobody comes near recouping. Only about 30-60% max goes back to studio, from which is deducted massive P&A (expenses) and distribution fees. Whatever is left goes towards covering production costs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

effectual posted:

In the Loop.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

effectual posted:

What other movies are about pre-emptive war? Dr Strangelove and Sum of all Fears come to mind.

The Lord of the Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vulpes posted:

The problem with Jack Reacher is that the people that didn't read the books don't know what the gently caress it's about, and a significant number of the people that _have_ read the books were turned off by Tom Cruise being cast as a character who is supposed to be built like a linebacker. I know he owns the rights and why the decision was made, but that doesn't mean people didn't automatically veto going to see it.

It's a shame, because it was a decent movie.

I liked it a lot. It's basically about a blue collar American James Bond. I loved how women literally got wet by looking at him (This happens like 3 times in the film) and it's surprisingly brutal for a non R-rated movie.