Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trioculus is best friends with a guy called Grand Moff Bertroff Hissa and their plan is to locate the Glove Of Darth Vader (TM) so Triocolus will receive the "dark blessing" of the Supreme Prophet Of the Dark Side, which will entitle him to Palpatine's throne. Along the way, Trioculus tries to marry Princess Leia in a Dark Side wedding with Hissa reading from the Dark Side Bible (except it's not really Leia, it's a life-like android decoy that attacks him in the middle of the ceremony with its laser vision) and they put their sinister quest on hold so they can go and hunt an endangered species while polluting a planet.

Their co-conspirators include a guy with miniature blaster earrings, another guy who looks like Josef Stalin, and another one who looks like Eugene Levy.

The same series featured Jabba the Hutt's father, Zorba, a Hutt with dreadlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Metal Loaf posted:

Trioculus is best friends with a guy called Grand Moff Bertroff Hissa and their plan is to locate the Glove Of Darth Vader (TM) so Triocolus will receive the "dark blessing" of the Supreme Prophet Of the Dark Side, which will entitle him to Palpatine's throne. Along the way, Trioculus tries to marry Princess Leia in a Dark Side wedding with Hissa reading from the Dark Side Bible (except it's not really Leia, it's a life-like android decoy that attacks him in the middle of the ceremony with its laser vision) and they put their sinister quest on hold so they can go and hunt an endangered species while polluting a planet.

Their co-conspirators include a guy with miniature blaster earrings, another guy who looks like Josef Stalin, and another one who looks like Eugene Levy.

The same series featured Jabba the Hutt's father, Zorba, a Hutt with dreadlocks.

That pretty much sums it up, but since pictures speak louder than words (and I'll take any excuse to post this picture):

THIS IS CANON

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Over the years I think I've matured enough to develop my own personal canon for Star Wars and am able to block out the tremendous amount of poo poo that's out there. I treat all those other terrible stories as if they're from Infinities or whatever that comic series was that does alternate-universe Star Wars stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

thrawn527 posted:

That pretty much sums it up, but since pictures speak louder than words (and I'll take any excuse to post this picture):

THIS IS CANON

Did you ever get around to sticking your Lets Read of that series in a blog as a shining example of the EU at its more craziest?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I guess there's the Tales Of the Jedi comics, which have been collected in omnibus editions by Dark Horse. They're hardly stellar but they're okay for what they are.

(Please note that this may be my nostalgia talking)

I started a "let's read" of em a few months ago, but that quickly died.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, I remember.

"ULIIIIIIIIIIIIC! THEY CUT OFF MY AAAARRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM!"

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Srice posted:

It could certainly be worse, spikes all over an outfit is a lot better than being covered with lightsabers for one :v:

Spikes?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alright those pics have convinced me I was wrong, mostly by virtue of multiple terrible spiky suits and only one guy who wears armor covered in lightsabers.

...that I know of, at least. I'm sure Wookiepedia would prove me wrong.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Calax posted:

I started a "let's read" of em a few months ago, but that quickly died.

The thread got locked by someone, but you could continue in here if you want...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Srice posted:

Alright those pics have convinced me I was wrong, mostly by virtue of multiple terrible spiky suits and only one guy who wears armor covered in lightsabers.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen it, take a look at this dude. He has lightsaber knees.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

thrawn527 posted:

THIS IS CANON

"I'm sick of these goddamn Star Wars"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I might buy Tale of the Jedi in trades. It might be kinda nuts, but I guess I like the cut of its jib.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TOTJ is fun if you remember what the EU was like before the prequels. The Jedi are very mystical and stories are far more creative and "out-there". They weren't beholden to any previously established continuity and as a result, they were much more willing to experiment and tell really cool stories. The art design is pretty great too, lots of greebly ships and medieval looking armor and locations. When Dawn of The Jedi was announced, I had really hoped it would be the spiritual successor to TOTJ, but I just couldn't get into it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I think I might buy Tale of the Jedi in trades. It might be kinda nuts, but I guess I like the cut of its jib.

I think the whole run is collected in two or three of Dark Horse's Omnibus series. That's probably your best bet - the Omnibus editions were released a few years ago so you can probably get them used pretty cheap by now, and the original trade versions of TOTJ were notoriously hard to find (and expensive) by the time the Omnibus editions came out. Particularly Freedon Nadd Uprising and Redemption, those are basically impossible to get your hands on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the whole run is collected in two or three of Dark Horse's Omnibus series. That's probably your best bet - the Omnibus editions were released a few years ago so you can probably get them used pretty cheap by now, and the original trade versions of TOTJ were notoriously hard to find (and expensive) by the time the Omnibus editions came out. Particularly Freedon Nadd Uprising and Redemption, those are basically impossible to get your hands on.
Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. I can certainly find them but I'm not about to pay $100 for a single TPB. I was hesitant about buying the omnibus editions because I own a few (Rogue Squadron and Indiana Jones) they're downsized slightly from comic book size, but they actually look like the best bet.

I picked up the Dawn of the Jedi novel tie in on audio, I'm going to give it a shot. One of the nice things about Audible is the option to return something if you don't like it, which I'm planning on doing when I hate-along with Crucible next week.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

IMO, the best of the trades is probably Dark Lords of the Sith. Sith war is just weird (with Cthulu president of the senate)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TOTJ is fun if you remember what the EU was like before the prequels. The Jedi are very mystical and stories are far more creative and "out-there". They weren't beholden to any previously established continuity and as a result, they were much more willing to experiment and tell really cool stories. The art design is pretty great too, lots of greebly ships and medieval looking armor and locations. When Dawn of The Jedi was announced, I had really hoped it would be the spiritual successor to TOTJ, but I just couldn't get into it.

I still imagine the Star Wars galaxy to be like this, just farther back. A thousand years before Exar Kun or something, then things started to look a lot more Kotor-y.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One I the main issues with TOTJ is that it wasn't released as an ongoing comic, but rather as a collection of miniseries. Like Dark Empire, this has the consequence of making everything feel like it's a bit rushed. I would say Redemption is the exception, though, since it has a smaller cast and covers events occurring over a shorter period of time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I lovehate all of the dumb ways Star Wars EU authors come up with to avoid using real-life curses in an effort to keep their stuff rated PG.

"Sithspawn!"
"Emperor's black bones!"
"Sleemo!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Did you ever get around to sticking your Lets Read of that series in a blog as a shining example of the EU at its more craziest?

I did not, I kind of let it die with that thread. It may still be worth doing at some point, as the thread is still there in archives, but it's more difficult now because a lot of the pictures aren't showing up anymore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

thrawn527 posted:

I did not, I kind of let it die with that thread. It may still be worth doing at some point, as the thread is still there in archives, but it's more difficult now because a lot of the pictures aren't showing up anymore.

Awww, a drat shame. I'm sure some goon still has the books and a scanner if we've lost Throb.

Also, yeah EU PG curses are silly. Especially since real PG rated ones were used in the movies are are a lot more impressive.

On the subject, gently caress the words Bantha Poodoo. Stupidest collection of words in Star Wars and that really is saying something.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've been running some of the premade adventures for the new Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG for my friends, and the fake curse they seem to like is "kriffing." Just terrible.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Stang, anyone?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If anyone's jonesing for more Glove of Darth Vader, a guy on TheForce.Net is doing his own readthrough of the whole series, and I think he's doing a pretty fun job of it. He just finished the third book:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/join-me-and-achieve-perfection-a-reread-of-the-glove-of-darth-vader.50011595/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cru Jones posted:

Stang, anyone?

There's also "kark". As in, "kark on you".

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Can't forget Fierfek!

No matter how hard you try.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

And if Sithspawn is just a wee bit to racy with that whole "Spawn" thing

There's always sithspit.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Well it does avoid having writers try to shoehorn even worse explanations for why Han Solo says "See you in hell!" when there probably isn't Christianity in the Star Wars galaxy or the god awful, "Are you an angel?" dialog from Episode I.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Didn't TCW actually have Anakin go to the planets Heaven and Hell? So yes, in all official Star Wars media there's something worse than the EU in some way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cptn_dr posted:

Can't forget Fierfek!

No matter how hard you try.

At least that one is ostensibly a different language (its Huttese for 'poison').

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

At least that one is ostensibly a different language (its Huttese for 'poison').

Most of these curses are apparently Huttese, according to Wookieepedia.

Stoopa sleemo. :rolleyes:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else, I did enjoy the explanation of why 'poison' is a Huttese curse. Since its so notoriously difficult to poison a Hutt due to their digestive system giving zero fucks about what's ingested into it, anything that actually could poison a Hutt is seriously nasty.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Calax posted:

And if Sithspawn is just a wee bit to racy with that whole "Spawn" thing

There's always sithspit.

I got my hands on that Book of Sith thing, and it turns out Sithspawn are just Sith alchemy monsters. Because we needed an explanation for that, you see.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... I know this is a "books" thread, but apparently the guys at Squeenix want to put Star Wars in their next Kingdom Hearts game.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That was actually one of the first things I thought of when news of the Disney buyout happened. That, and Star Wars characters appearing on Once Upon a Time.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

That was actually one of the first things I thought of when news of the Disney buyout happened. That, and Star Wars characters appearing on Once Upon a Time.

I am so down for this. I really am ready to embrace disney running this poo poo into the ground.

I would love a marvel/star wars tie in. The stuff Patton Oswalt says during his filibuster on Parks and Rec sounded just fine to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, they've already had Mark Hamill doing voicework for Kingdom Hearts so that'd make part of it easier on them!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I made an account on TheForce.net like ten years ago and haven't touched it since I was a teenager. Until a few days ago, when I decided to wander in to a thread about how good Vol 1. of Legacy is.

It has now devolved into some terrible conversation about Kotor 2 and how complexity is a bad thing. "STAR WARS IS ONLY ABOUT GOOD AND EVIL AND NOTHING ELSE."

Now I see why I don't really delve into the fandom anymore. It has arguably more manchildren than Star Trek.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Legacy is really really dumb, though.

myself, in an earlier time posted:

It's an example of everything that's wrong with modern Star Wars EU.

1) "edgy" "gritty" characters
2) re-tread of prequel/OT storylines
3) Sith-of-the-Day (as opposed to Superweapon-of-the-Week, but can't have everything)
4) dumb-as-poo poo characters
5) new ships that just look exactly like the old ships

It's also not nearly far enough into the future so now you know that everything Luke/etc. worked for was worthless, and he and his descendants, despite having defeated the most complete Sith rule over the galaxy ever and put an end to the Bane Sith, also managed to not notice an entire second Sith empire building under his nose.

Thematically it gets only one thing right but it invalidates everything that came before it to get there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What is the one thing it got right in that post?