Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

Cask 9, Montreal - Verse 5

Victoria Hospital stuff

I was actually thinking about the hospital last night, too. I can't post the picture until I get home, but if you want to check it out in Google Earth or something, look at the black iron fire escape on at the end of the right wing under the gables. With all of its overlapping angles and such, and right by the gables that form the stepped-v collar, could it represent the cross hatching element from the picture?

Along with verse 5, the verse with "sovereign people built palaces to rest their head for a night" could be a possibility, referencing both Victoria as sovereign and "for a night" as a temporary stay. I like that yours seems to pick of specific elements of the hospital, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Guuse posted:

I was actually thinking about the hospital last night, too. I can't post the picture until I get home, but if you want to check it out in Google Earth or something, look at the black iron fire escape on at the end of the right wing under the gables. With all of its overlapping angles and such, and right by the gables that form the stepped-v collar, could it represent the cross hatching element from the picture?

Along with verse 5, the verse with "sovereign people built palaces to rest their head for a night" could be a possibility, referencing both Victoria as sovereign and "for a night" as a temporary stay. I like that yours seems to pick of specific elements of the hospital, though.

While trying to keep an open mind, I am strongly of the opinion that the Sarmiento quote ("sovereign people") locks that verse to New Orleans. It's a verbatim quote.

I really like Mount Royal and Pine St as "weight and roots" and the metal bird weathervane as the wingless bird ascended by dreams of ancient flight.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Merlot, I do like many of you're interesting discoveries on the Montreal search, but I don't follow you're wingless bird conclusion. I consider ancient to be a reference to an early civilization or pre-civililization time. A metal object doesn't seem like something that would have any tendency, hope or capacity to "dream", although I can see the word "dreams" as a way of saying "sleeping" which may be applied to any object that is at rest. A weather vane is attached but allowed some freedom of movement, so I don't see it as something at rest unless there's an absence of wind.

Just curious to know more on what motiviates you're conclusion.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

I was pretty keen on the hospital at one time - even put together a PDF for it and emailed it to the groundsman. Couldn't get any interest though, and my attention eventually wandered off to Percy Walters. Here's the old hospital file FWIW.

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/misc/thesecret/montrealpuzzle.pdf

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Urban Smurf posted:

Merlot, I do like many of you're interesting discoveries on the Montreal search, but I don't follow you're wingless bird conclusion. I consider ancient to be a reference to an early civilization or pre-civililization time. A metal object doesn't seem like something that would have any tendency, hope or capacity to "dream", although I can see the word "dreams" as a way of saying "sleeping" which may be applied to any object that is at rest. A weather vane is attached but allowed some freedom of movement, so I don't see it as something at rest unless there's an absence of wind.

Just curious to know more on what motiviates you're conclusion.

Allow me to break it down for you like a Seahawks touchdown celebration.

Think of those lines in two parts:

"A wingless bird ascended" - The metal (wingless) bird is perched on top of the building.

"Born of ancient dreams of flight" - The weathervane, as weathervanes are ancient instruments that were invented because of man's fascination with wind/flight.

Translation - There's a fake bird high up somewhere and it's there because it's part of the design of the ancient flight related instrument (the weathervane).

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

BJG posted:

I was pretty keen on the hospital at one time - even put together a PDF for it and emailed it to the groundsman. Couldn't get any interest though, and my attention eventually wandered off to Percy Walters. Here's the old hospital file FWIW.

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/misc/thesecret/montrealpuzzle.pdf

With the addition of the collar match on the building with the crow stepped gables, in conjunction with verse 5, I think this is an extremely strong lead.

I'm very biased toward the Mount Royal and Pine St interpretation of the Weight and roots. You have the mount, and you have the street, with the hospital (citadel) in between. It isn't some street three blocks away forcing any hoop jumping. Add the weathervane to the verse, being on the building with two matches, and it really seems to come together.

I wasn't going to throw this out there lest I get accused of Urbansmurfing, but I how about the 222 as a drug reference (the codeine infused Canadian Tylenol)? I came up with that before zeroing in on the hospital and just remembered now.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 8, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Merlot Brougham posted:

I wasn't going to throw this out there lest I get accused of Urbansmurfing, but I how about the 222 as a drug reference (the codeine infused Canadian Tylenol)? I came up with that before zeroing in on the hospital and just remembered now.
There's also a punk band from Montreal named after the drug, but it's probably just a coincidence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_222s

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

With the addition of the collar match on the building with the crow stepped gables, in conjunction with verse 5, I think this is an extremely strong lead.

I'm very biased toward the Mount Royal and Pine St interpretation of the Weight and roots. You have the mount, and you have the street, with the hospital (citadel) in between. It isn't some street three blocks away forcing any hoop jumping. Add the weathervane to the verse, being on the building with two matches, and it really seems to come together.

You're right next to a stadium with a track. It could be lane 2 (the track), 22 (yard line, football field), arc of lights (stadium lighting). I suspect that the capitalization difference is going to turn out to be important, though, and I'm not quite feeling it in relation to a track/football field.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Merlot Brougham posted:

Allow me to break it down for you like a Seahawks touchdown celebration.

Think of those lines in two parts:

"A wingless bird ascended" - The metal (wingless) bird is perched on top of the building.

"Born of ancient dreams of flight" - The weathervane, as weathervanes are ancient instruments that were invented because of man's fascination with wind/flight.

Translation - There's a fake bird high up somewhere and it's there because it's part of the design of the ancient flight related instrument (the weathervane).

"A wingless bird" to me just screams helicopter. "Born of ancient dreams of flight" seems like it's alluding to Da Vinci, although that's not ancient so much as...uh...in the past? But even if it is a helicopter, that would work very well with the hospital. I bet even back in '82 they had emergency airlifts.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Montraal

Domus posted:

"A wingless bird" to me just screams helicopter. "Born of ancient dreams of flight" seems like it's alluding to Da Vinci, although that's not ancient so much as...uh...in the past? But even if it is a helicopter, that would work very well with the hospital. I bet even back in '82 they had emergency airlifts.

Good one! Hospitals with helipads were common enough. They weren't as shady as today (at least in US): hospitals moving, closing, consolidating, etc., but if the one you're thinking of is an oldy, that's an interesting fit.

Subliminal Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 9, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Montreal, Cask 9, Verse

Sounds from the sky/ Near Ace Is High

Sticking to verse 7, wandering around dorchester square this statue of st. patrick on the cathedral evaded my gaze until yesterday afternoon. That's a pretty high Ace of Clubs. Notice: it's not a 4 leaf clover.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
For what it's worth, the only kind of wingless birds I could think of were blimps and rockets. Technically, they have small wings but now the kind that generate lift.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Helicopters don't really work because they have propellers blades which are wings. The best mechanical represrntation of a birs that flies without wingsis a rocket, which has fins, but nt for the purpose of lift. I had a conversation with a retired navy engineer who says they called rockets birds on a regular basis. Ive never heard of that kind of reference before.

Anyways, It was important to me to link the reference to a specific or permanent structure if possible. I originally thought of a play on words "Beacon Rock" because a thing with a "Beak on" it must be a bird. I recall thinking the silhouette of the bird on the rock in image 6 had no beak and so that was my attempt to make use of that clue . I've seen a lot of potential word play ideas but they are all stretches. Here's another, "beneath the only standing member of a forest" was at one time a bench in my mind. I thought there might be a bench dedicated by some organization and being a place to sit and rest, "for-rest" was the word play. Wordplay sucks... its weak. The occasional homonym I can consider but there's too many pitfalls when it comes to twisting words or their meanings. The best way to go about this is follow the strict definitions of words and where there is a riddle, find the unique answer.

Ive settled on wingless bird / ancient dreams as a reference to Mt. St. Helens erruption. The national news archives used the word plume regularly to describe the phenomenally huge ash cloud. The problem I had with that idea is it failed to give a close visible marker to my spot. If I had to make use of its location I'd have to use a map to take a compass reading. The other consideration was it could be less specific and be a reference to any volcano, the key being dormant (sleeping/dreaming). If it weren't for some reference in verse to a mountain I wouldve been without any supporting reason to justify a white stone where there was literally no white stone.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 9, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Nocheez posted:

For what it's worth, the only kind of wingless birds I could think of were blimps and rockets. Technically, they have small wings but now the kind that generate lift.

Helicopters

.random
May 7, 2007

Cask 12
Just stumbled on this thread. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I couldn't help but take a guess.

Isle of B, as in the Bronx (e: and I do realize the Bronx is not actually an island. Alright. this is a bad idea :() Just south of that? Randall's Island. Randall's Island has a really weird traffic loop that almost matches up with her hair like so...

(e: Derp. How to shrink the size of already-attached images? :saddowns:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

.random fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 9, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

Helicopters don't really work because they have propellers blades which are wings. The best mechanical represrntation of a birs that flies without wingsis a rocket, which has fins, but nt for the purpose of lift. I had a conversation with a retired navy engineer who says they called rockets birds on a regular basis. Ive never heard of that kind of reference before.

I think the average puzzle writer and/or solver would say, if asked, that a helicopter does not have wings. Other wingless birds:

• The moa, an extinct wingless bird
  • Balloons
  • Kites
  • A statue or image of a bird head
  • Some depictions of angels
  • The middle finger

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I think the average puzzle writer and/or solver would say, if asked, that a helicopter does not have wings. Other wingless birds:

• Balloons
  • Kites
  • The middle finger

Oh you left out...volcano?

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Very Nice Eraser posted:

• Balloons
  • Kites
  • The middle finger

In the case of the hospital, there's an enormous mansion next door called Ravenscrag. When the hospital took it over in the 1940s, though, apparently it lost that as its official name, so that could be a direct reference to "ancient dreams."

Unfortunately, it lost a lot of the details after the 1940s, but the grounds are enormous and its style is Italian, which would lend itself to finding another legeater if someone wanted to try.

Urban Smurf, here's a question for you: How did you come by your theory that the first line of the verses in some way also references the dig spot?

Ceciltron posted:

Montreal, Cask 9, Verse

Sounds from the sky/ Near Ace Is High

Sticking to verse 7, wandering around dorchester square this statue of st. patrick on the cathedral evaded my gaze until yesterday afternoon. That's a pretty high Ace of Clubs. Notice: it's not a 4 leaf clover.

If verse 7 is the correct verse (and Dominion Square the right location) now we have three of those to choose from. How obvious is the St. Georges one? Do you know if there are any plaques or anything outside that would let someone know that one of the windows is a war memorial? The one you found might be an better fit.

On an unrelated subject, do you have any idea if the Churchill Pub Complex on Crescent (I think) and Maissonneuve Blvd was there in 1982?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

rookhunter posted:

Helicopters

Helicopters have lots of wings, they just spin around in circles to generate lift and provide turning.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Cask 2 - Charleston SC

No one at the City of Charleston Parks and Recreation really wanted to look at my application before the holiday, so only now am I finally getting a response, and it's not an encouraging one.

At first I was told that a permit to dig in the planting bed along High Battery might be issued if I was willing to put up a large damage bond. The latest word, though, is that no permit will be issued to me or to anyone else who wants to dig for a cask in or around White Point Gardens. There is a blanket prohibition against metal detecting or digging in any public park in the city of Charleston, and for White Point Gardens in particular digging is a violation of SC's antiquities preservation act and can result in a large fine and\or jail time. I was told that the only way digging for the cask could be authorized at WPG is if the request is coming as part of a formal archaeological survey sponsored by an accredited college or university, complete with a detailed dig plan that has been signed off on by the Preservation Society. There have been digs like that before in peninsular Charleston, but the permitting and approval process takes literally years before anyone has been allowed to break ground.

So, that's that. :( I had a brief, wild moment of wanting to sneak down there one night and just wildcat it, but I have to hold a security clearance for my job and getting arrested would definitely jeopardize that. I'm not going to risk it. If anyone else wants to take up that cudgel, feel free.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Very Nice Eraser posted:

• Balloons
  • Kites
  • The middle finger

The Beach Boys' 1975 song "Spirit of America" referred to the car as "a jet without wings".

Hand Model
May 13, 2013
Wow I finally caught up from page 1!

Cask 11 Boston, Cambridge Common

In reading a post on the 'Sheraton Commander' sign, and how it could relate to "All the letters / Are here to see", my mind jumped to 'see' = 'c'.
Or, all the letters are here, up to the letter c. Using an anagram solver the possible words are:

'Sheraton' is an anagram of:
Anothers
Asherton
Estranho
Hanserot
Hansrote
honraste
Norheast
northeas
Northsea
North Sea
North-Sea
R.H. Seaton
rosneath
sanother
Shantero
Sotheran

'Sheratonc' is an anagram of:
anchorets
Archontes
Archstone
Arch-stone
Atcherson
Charontes
Chaterson
Crane shot
rachetons
Sonartech
Stone arch
trasnoche
tronchase

God I hope it's Tron (released July 9, 1982)! Does any of this ring a bell to people on the ground? Is there a stone arch nearby when you are looking at the Sheraton Commander?

Is there another way of interpreting this as an anagram within the verse itself? I couldn't think of a way, but now my head hurts. The word 'here', not 'there' makes me feel that it could be an internal anagram.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

bonestructure posted:

Cask 2 - Charleston SC

No one at the City of Charleston Parks and Recreation really wanted to look at my application before the holiday, so only now am I finally getting a response, and it's not an encouraging one.

At first I was told that a permit to dig in the planting bed along High Battery might be issued if I was willing to put up a large damage bond. The latest word, though, is that no permit will be issued to me or to anyone else who wants to dig for a cask in or around White Point Gardens. There is a blanket prohibition against metal detecting or digging in any public park in the city of Charleston, and for White Point Gardens in particular digging is a violation of SC's antiquities preservation act and can result in a large fine and\or jail time. I was told that the only way digging for the cask could be authorized at WPG is if the request is coming as part of a formal archaeological survey sponsored by an accredited college or university, complete with a detailed dig plan that has been signed off on by the Preservation Society. There have been digs like that before in peninsular Charleston, but the permitting and approval process takes literally years before anyone has been allowed to break ground.

So, that's that. :( I had a brief, wild moment of wanting to sneak down there one night and just wildcat it, but I have to hold a security clearance for my job and getting arrested would definitely jeopardize that. I'm not going to risk it. If anyone else wants to take up that cudgel, feel free.

Could you catch me up on the Charleston puzzle? What is the pear and tree supposed to mean? What about the red/yellow/green stripes and the single star? There's nothing on the wiki yet for Charleston.

I'll toss this out there for Urban Smurf: The tree is a Douglas Fir, the state tree of Oregon. The Pear is the state fruit of Oregon. The number 33 in the lion's hair represents Oregon, the 33rd state to join the union. The faint tower outline in the skull thingy is the outline of the Astoria Column. The Oregon state animal, the beaver, is represented by the scantily clad lady's... ok I'll stop there.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Guuse posted:

In the case of the hospital, there's an enormous mansion next door called Ravenscrag. When the hospital took it over in the 1940s, though, apparently it lost that as its official name, so that could be a direct reference to "ancient dreams."

Unfortunately, it lost a lot of the details after the 1940s, but the grounds are enormous and its style is Italian, which would lend itself to finding another legeater if someone wanted to try.

Urban Smurf, here's a question for you: How did you come by your theory that the first line of the verses in some way also references the dig spot?

If verse 7 is the correct verse (and Dominion Square the right location) now we have three of those to choose from. How obvious is the St. Georges one? Do you know if there are any plaques or anything outside that would let someone know that one of the windows is a war memorial? The one you found might be an better fit.

On an unrelated subject, do you have any idea if the Churchill Pub Complex on Crescent (I think) and Maissonneuve Blvd was there in 1982?

The St. George's Connection seems really tenuous to me. I went inside looking for something, anything and couldn't really find anything that spoke logically or immediately to me. There's nothing on the outside of the church.

And I'm pretty sure that Winnie's has been around in some context since the 60s. But I don't know what kind of connection is to be made there.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Is there any chance the progress made in this thread could be outlined in the OP?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Could you catch me up on the Charleston puzzle? What is the pear and tree supposed to mean? What about the red/yellow/green stripes and the single star? There's nothing on the wiki yet for Charleston.

I'll toss this out there for Urban Smurf: The tree is a Douglas Fir, the state tree of Oregon. The Pear is the state fruit of Oregon. The number 33 in the lion's hair represents Oregon, the 33rd state to join the union. The faint tower outline in the skull thingy is the outline of the Astoria Column. The Oregon state animal, the beaver, is represented by the scantily clad lady's... ok I'll stop there.

Very Nice Beaver, I love it when you talk dirty. I don't have much to say about the pear or the branch. As far as symbolism goes, I think we get a mythological reference from identifying the moth:

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

MustelaFuro posted:

Is there any chance the progress made in this thread could be outlined in the OP?

Progress?

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

Very Nice Beaver, I love it when you talk dirty. I don't have much to say about the pear or the branch. As far as symbolism goes, I think we get a mythological reference from identifying the moth:

You know I thought I actually had something for a bit, but unfortunately the pear wasn't decided upon as the state fruit until 2005. :(

(God forbid one of these casks actually turns up in the pacific northwest; you'll never let us hear the end of it! :) )

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Bolkovr posted:

Progress?

I know it doesn't feel like progress unless there's a shovel in the ground, but I'd say we've made significant progress (arguably more than the last 5-10 years combined elsewhere on the internet) in just a few weeks/months on multiple casks.

I think we've made what you can call progress in Houston, Milwaukee, "Montreal" ;), Boston, and possibly Houston.

We've ruled out ages old internet theories that had to be covered first, stuff that other forums have tossed around for years but could never get people to visit (Charlesgate, Ghiradelli Square, etc.)

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I predict that we'll unearth cask 6 this fall! I know that's bold talk, but with the property owner on board for a September timeframe and a lot of very strong explanations for clues, I'm thinking it will be the first of the remaining 10 to be found.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

xie posted:

I know it doesn't feel like progress unless there's a shovel in the ground, but I'd say we've made significant progress (arguably more than the last 5-10 years combined elsewhere on the internet) in just a few weeks/months on multiple casks.

I think we've made what you can call progress in Houston, Milwaukee, "Montreal" ;), Boston, and possibly Houston.

We've ruled out ages old internet theories that had to be covered first, stuff that other forums have tossed around for years but could never get people to visit (Charlesgate, Ghiradelli Square, etc.)

I'm just mad because I don't have any good ideas and you guys aren't digging up casks! :mad:

New York

Since Russia is country of New York's puzzle, maybe the seagull refers to Chekov's play "The Seagull." I've never seen it so I don't know if it can relate to the other clues.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Cask 10 - Montreal

Ceciltron posted:

The St. George's Connection seems really tenuous to me. I went inside looking for something, anything and couldn't really find anything that spoke logically or immediately to me. There's nothing on the outside of the church.

OK, lets use the one you found then. It seems like a church this big must, but are we sure it has bells? Even if it doesn't I suppose the line could first mean the bells at St. George's and then come here to the visible ace anyways. This puts us in a really interesting spot.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

We're right at the street that bisects the park, so using it like you (I think) suggested for "Twain" instead of having to decide between which particular Mark Twain thing to focus on is good.

The figure just cardinal north of St. Patrick is holding "a cross." So that's neat.

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Two figures on is holding a "giant pole?" Then the next is "giant step?" Or is maybe St. Stephen up there too? This actually looks like it could work, all nice in a line like that.

I don't want to be presumptuous but drat, dude, you may have just dunked this. It really closes out the verse strong. Awesome find.

So, maybe on the corner of the church at the end of the line of saints. Or, interestingly, I just read this:

quote:

Inside, on the left, a gated crypt contains the tombs of the city's archbishops and cardinals, including that of Bishop Ignace Bourget

Maybe along the wall around the corner lining up with where the literal casks are inside? I think I'd bet on the saints, though, unless the bit about the tombs is really obvious.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
Has there been any progress on the riddle in verse 11?

quote:

Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing

I see four ways to parse the riddle:
  1. Something that, when it is first seen, is standing and that you touch last.
  2. Something that you first see when you are standing and that you touch last.
  3. Something that, when it is first seen and last touched, is standing.
  4. Something that you first see and last touch when you are standing.

Finally, it's something that the cask (or maybe you) can be underneath. And it's probably found in the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island or at the Wright Brothers monument at nearby Kill Devil Hills.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Boston

I'm new to the search but have been obsessing on it for a week or so now. I've only read about half of this thread and half the image11/verse 3 threads at q4t so forgive me if I've just missed this, but has any attention been given to the North End?

If we take the Horace Walpole/Mann tack for the Thucydides/Xenophon line in Verse 3 (the images on the BPL aren't in proper north/south alignment and I don't buy the idea that this is an If...Then...Else clue) to my eye it seems to be pointing there.

"The area of his direction" seems an odd phrase. Not "in his direction," in the area. If Thucydides' direction is north, the area of north might be the North End. Hey, it's riddle logic, right?

Granted, I don't have a lot else lining up yet. I haven't spent much time in that part of town. I've been looking at old pictures of the Central Artery or maybe the Bunker Hill Monument to see if they could be the "green tower of lights." The Italian connection to the peridot stone in image 11 is strong in that part of town, as is the Paul Revere angle. I read somewhere a suggested meaning of the USS Constitution (Ole Ironsides) for the metal walls, and the ship can be seen from the baseball diamond ("feel at home") in Puopolo Park. There are some nice stairs across the street from the park ("face the water/your back to the stairs"). Something nags at me to try to find a particular staircase with "five steps." If only I could nail down a post office across the harbor near the Naval yard I'd have the letters thing sewn up as well.

Anyway, it's kind of scattershot and I don't have a lot tying to the image yet. I hope to get out there and wander about with a camera in the next couple of weeks, and maybe try to line up the lady's hair with various sections of wharves and whatnot.

Or I could be completely off track and barking up all kinds of wrong trees. A distinct possibility.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Catch up on Boston, read my posts by hitting the ? under my name. I personally think we have a strong lead on a possible dig site.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

head58 posted:

Boston

Anyway, it's kind of scattershot and I don't have a lot tying to the image yet. I hope to get out there and wander about with a camera in the next couple of weeks, and maybe try to line up the lady's hair with various sections of wharves and whatnot.

Run with it. There are a lot of people working on Cambridge Common right now and the last thing we need to be doing is suppressing new exploration by hiveminding CC as the certain cask location. For context, the guy who found the Cleveland cask was ridiculed by the rest of Q4T, which had already decided the cask was in Philly.

But uh, you're not allowed to be mad at me if you're hanging around the harbor on the day forums member xie pulls the cask out of Dawes Island Park or wherever.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Yes, please do explore more in Boston, I definitely didn't mean to stifle that. More boots on the ground are always welcome. If you get some time I suggest hitting some of the other "popular" sites like Copley, Charlesgate, Mother's Rest, Longfellow Park, etc.

Another perspective never hurts, and I think you get a good feel for what you're looking for.

xie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 10, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Guuse posted:

Cask 10 - Montreal

OK, lets use the one you found then. It seems like a church this big must, but are we sure it has bells? Even if it doesn't I suppose the line could first mean the bells at St. George's and then come here to the visible ace anyways. This puts us in a really interesting spot.

The cathedral has huge motherfuckin' bell towers. I'll drop by in a day or two to see if they are rung with any frequency. Maybe ask at the rectory if there's been any priests who've been there since 1982.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

The cathedral has huge motherfuckin' bell towers. I'll drop by in a day or two to see if they are rung with any frequency. Maybe ask at the rectory if there's been any priests who've been there since 1982.

I don't think it matters if the bells actually ring so long as someone from outside would get the impression that they do. And we do have St. George's nearby so the verse would still work. Nothing says they have to be on the exact same building.

Maybe take a look at the iron/bronze work at the end where I guess the presumed dig spot would be? Not being a photographic match it obviously won't be perfect, but maybe it looks close enough in person to the cross-hatching pattern in the picture around the guy's neck to be confirmatory? It does look like there's a tree nearby, though. :(

I wonder who all the saints are up there. I'm trying to find out on the internet but amazingly I can't actually find a comprehensive list anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 13, 2014