Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I read the whole thing. 6th-grade grammar, spelling mistakes, crazy stream-of-consciousness, and opinions presented as facts. The whole document is unedited whiny-ranty pseudo-expert garbage.

The icing is repeating "points", sometimes back-to-back. I'm imagining this as a .txt left open on his computer, and he'd just come back in from the garage and plop down another paragraph, never ever reading what came before. Then one day, too irritated to continue, just copy/paste into Dreamweaver and up to the internet for all to behold.

I mean, I sort of sympathize on some level. There's a bunch of poo poo in there that I was aware of, some stuff that I know is incorrect, but it's glorious in that sort of timecube-esque "how deep does the rabbit hole go!?!?!" kind of way.

Also his hardon for the Sportster engine cracks me the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zool posted:

I always have a 1/4 inch of rubber left. Maybe you're running tires with a shorter profile though.

Stock suspension geometry? :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Also his hardon for the Sportster engine cracks me the gently caress up.

The sporty engine is excellent :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

It's pretty widely accepted that the Evo big twin was better than the twin cam, from a dependability perspective. You can find TC88s for less than a comparable late model Evo all day long.

Take it with the grain of salt that, according to the Harley community, whatever came before is always better than what just came out, even if it was a janky rear end Shovel built at the height of AMF incompetence. It's a miracle any Harley engineer makes any technological progress without getting tarred and feathered.

You're a Buell rider, look at the treatment of Buell (or the V-Rod) and tell me this ain't true

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
To be fair, when the community accuses those bikes of not being a REAL HARLEY they're not lying. The V-Rod engine was co-designed by Porsche and Buell is Buell.

As a rule though, yeah they hate new poo poo.
The new 6 speeds are getting a lot of flack for having the nerve to include an additional gear that creates additional parasitic oil drag, and for having yet another gear to whine or blow up.
They hate dual discs because there's another gear in the way of their beautiful bike's spoke wheels.
They hated fuel injection, and many still do. So much so that there are guides on how to revert your EFI to a carbed setup.

H-D doesn't really seem to have a lot of choice in the matter of upgrading their tech. They make bolt-on upgrades for hydraulic clutches and better oil coolers, and all kinds of other stuff. If they put any of it on stock there would be a small uprising and unless they fit it across all models all at once they would have to deal with suffering sales while 'the bugs got worked out'.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Halo_4am posted:

To be fair, when the community accuses those bikes of not being a REAL HARLEY they're not lying. The V-Rod engine was co-designed by Porsche and Buell is Buell.

As a rule though, yeah they hate new poo poo.
The new 6 speeds are getting a lot of flack for having the nerve to include an additional gear that creates additional parasitic oil drag, and for having yet another gear to whine or blow up.
They hate dual discs because there's another gear in the way of their beautiful bike's spoke wheels.
They hated fuel injection, and many still do. So much so that there are guides on how to revert your EFI to a carbed setup.

H-D doesn't really seem to have a lot of choice in the matter of upgrading their tech. They make bolt-on upgrades for hydraulic clutches and better oil coolers, and all kinds of other stuff. If they put any of it on stock there would be a small uprising and unless they fit it across all models all at once they would have to deal with suffering sales while 'the bugs got worked out'.

I particularly liked the section on clutch cable replacement. :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

Stock suspension geometry? :v:

I have the rear raised a few mm, running a 190/60 rear. Really though, you don't need to use up the whole tire to go (fairly) fast. And if you hang off you don't even need to go that fast to get a knee down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I have the rear raised a few mm, running a 190/60 rear. Really though, you don't need to use up the whole tire to go (fairly) fast. And if you hang off you don't even need to go that fast to get a knee down.

Rear dunlop? Stiff sidewall means it's really hard to get the rear tire all the way over when you pinch a 190 on a 5.5 inch rim.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Rear dunlop? Stiff sidewall means it's really hard to get the rear tire all the way over when you pinch a 190 on a 5.5 inch rim.

The 190/60 was designed for a 5.5 but you're still going to need insane lean angles to fully scrub them. In either case, the reason he's got the unscrubbed strip is the 190... I'm really not seeing someone actually dragging knee (not just dabbing the thing) without fully scrubbing a tire unless there are 190s on a 5.5 or the rider is insanely tall and crawling off the side of the bike just to try and touch a knee.

It doesn't make sense to me... what does make sense is everyone that has never actually dragged a knee thinks they are so close because they feel leaned over so far. Anyone can go to a big parking lot, hang off like a monkey while doing figure-8's and dab a knee - actually carrying puck down through a corner is a different matter entirely.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 8, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

I particularly liked the section on clutch cable replacement. :v:

This Harley owner hates the old school stuff and wishes like hell they would modernize a bit more. Having confirmed a few different ways the cable has done all it can do, my next step is a Muller Power Clutch, which is just a higher grade set of ramps.

It's about 3x as pricey as the Harley kit, but doesn't require a different spring for the primary (less of the bike to dig into) and folks are very convincing that it's worth the money. Installing it Wednesday. Wish me luck in not snapping or stripping anything. :patriot:

:edit:
There is not a Harley owner out there that will confess to looking at this sort of thing without an injury or wife as an excuse. If this were my bike I would be looking at this poo poo just for the extra clutch control and general comfort. I am clearly not man enough to be a proper Harley owner.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 8, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Yeah, D211 GP-As only come in a 190, but they are meant to fit on a 5.5. Same deal on Spiffness's bike though and he's running a 180 Q2. And yeah knee planted through just about every corner on the track. Maybe its just a Dunlop thing.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 8, 2013

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone can go to a big parking lot, hang off like a monkey while doing figure-8's and dab a knee - actually carrying puck down through a corner is a different matter entirely.

You do realize that this was a class with lowish speed drills specifically targeting body position during turns, as in practicing cornering and hanging off in a parking lot doing figure-8's, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Yeah, D211 GP-As only come in a 190, but they are meant to fit on a 5.5. Same deal on Spiffness's bike though and he's running a 180 Q2. And yeah knee planted through just about every corner on the track. Maybe its just a Dunlop thing.

Oh right, I totally forgot that dunlop is going the direction on tires, taller, wider tires on the 600s. Of course, I can't talk, I ran a Pirelli 200/60 on my 675 but that scrubbed to the edge without any issues.

I'd say you should get harder on the gas to help deform the rear tire, but with your record with highsides I'm just going to say it's literally impossible to scrub that last bit off :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Angryboot posted:

You do realize that this was a class with lowish speed drills specifically targeting body position during turns, as in practicing cornering and hanging off in a parking lot doing figure-8's, right?

Nope, I do now.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You plant knee at Ridge at every corner and many of the kinks at speeds ranging from 20 MPH at apex to 110+ at apex. I've run Dunlops, Michellins and Pirellis and the only tires I ever scrubbed to the very edge were the Michellin Pilot Power Ones. I no longer pay attention to what the scrub on peoples tires are at the track. I've seen people run well into podium times with chicken strips left, and B group drop outs riding on the ragged edge of the tires at slower than outlap pace. It comes down to the bike, tire construction, the track and mainly riding style. I hang off a lot with the explicit purpose being to use as little of the lean angle on the tire as is needed. You gotta be running some pretty awesome times to use 100% of the tire that way.

TL;DR chicken strip talk is mostly stupid. Measure your speed in lap times.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\ That's what we were told in class too. Maximize traction was the overall theme of the day.

BlackMK4 posted:

Nope, I do now.

This is not to take away from anything you posted of course; you're absolutely right, most people think they're almost scraping pucks but they still have a long way to go. In my case they showed photos taken during the course and I saw where my knee was.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 8, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

You plant knee at Ridge at every corner and many of the kinks at speeds ranging from 20 MPH at apex to 110+ at apex. I've run Dunlops, Michellins and Pirellis and the only tires I ever scrubbed to the very edge were the Michellin Pilot Power Ones. I no longer pay attention to what the scrub on peoples tires are at the track. I've seen people run well into podium times with chicken strips left, and B group drop outs riding on the ragged edge of the tires at slower than outlap pace. It comes down to the bike, tire construction, the track and mainly riding style. I hang off a lot with the explicit purpose being to use as little of the lean angle on the tire as is needed. You gotta be running some pretty awesome times to use 100% of the tire that way.

TL;DR chicken strip talk is mostly stupid. Measure your speed in lap times.

This. I'm a crap rider on a huge heavy lumbering bike yet my rear tyre has the little Michelin men almost completely murdered. :ohdear:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Slavvy posted:

This. I'm a crap rider on a huge heavy lumbering bike yet my rear tyre has the little Michelin men almost completely murdered. :ohdear:

Do they put markers (besides arrows) on things not in the Power line? I know Powers have the little arrow, Power Pure's had the 3 lines on the edge, etc.

I guess I've never really paid attention to Michelin's other offerings. Do any other manufacturers put on strange markers?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know Metzler tires have those little elephants but that's about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:lol:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Is that actual carbon fibre on the sidewall or just an applied pattern? Either way it's sexy as gently caress.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo I spelled that wrong.

I guess if you're gonna put markings on tires you might as well go all the way, eh?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I think even the 5 on those would be gone in no time even if you're a squid. That elephant though :getin:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Go to any roundabout in Essex on a Sunday and you can see how it's possible to get your knee down without even leaning the bike.

Behind the bushes in the centre of it doesn't count, you slag.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JP Money posted:

Do they put markers (besides arrows) on things not in the Power line? I know Powers have the little arrow, Power Pure's had the 3 lines on the edge, etc.

I guess I've never really paid attention to Michelin's other offerings. Do any other manufacturers put on strange markers?

My PR3's don't have any that I'm aware of. I'll have another look when I get home.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Insurance talk:

I currently have statefarm, however geico is cheaper by almost $40/month (this is for my car + renter's insurance, bike is only like $21/mo) I wanted to see if anyone had anything good to report about geico when it comes to handling claims?

As Z3n preaches, I've had two bike related claims with statefarm, and have come out on top both times so I won't be switching that any time soon. Neither of them use bikes as a multi-policy item so that doesn't matter either.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We have Geico right now. No experience on motorcycle claims but they're pretty good to us on car so far. My fiancee got dinged by somebody driving too fast and not paying attention and Geico got everything processed like the next day. Car was fixed less than a week, and we got the deductible back since it was all the other dude's fault.

Then we had a ding from some rear end in a top hat backing into us in a parking lot and left without any contact info. Called Geico, went down to the shop, fixed a few days later, paid deductible. That was it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://vimeo.com/55420992

This video is so bad it loops back around to some kind of amazing parody of itself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

Behind the bushes in the centre of it doesn't count, you slag.

There are no roundabouts in Epping Forest, get your geography right.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

This video is so bad it loops back around to some kind of amazing parody of itself.

But dude, they went on an epic 334 mile adventure. They didn't even have their cell phones on.

Can you imagine riding all day before getting to your pre arranged camp where you can finally get your artisan cheese board and a gin & tonic?

HAHAHa

quote:

Sorry, comments have been disabled by the owner of this video.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

But dude, they went on an epic 334 mile adventure. They didn't even have their cell phones on.

Can you imagine riding all day before getting to your pre arranged camp where you can finally get your artisan cheese board and a gin & tonic?

HAHAHa

We woke up with the sun...
*sun is already up, using alarm on cell phone they're not supposed to have to wake everyone up*

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I feel genuine pity for people who need a corporate 'adventure' so they can 'develop character and provoke courage'. They remind me of church day camps when I was 8. How boring must their lives be if they do, once a lifetime, what others do every weekend?

Those men were so manly they started a fire with nothing but a pile of wood and a propane torch. Rarr.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Lead Men on adventure. Sorry girls.

Jesus this gets worse the more I watch it. I thought the cheese board comment was a joke. These guys must feel really emasculated to have to do this. I almost pity them.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

$2500

That is not a joke.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 9, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ Yeah but standing around the water cooler at your marketing startup, talking about how you really felt like you knew what oscar wilde, or mark twain, or some guy was on about is priceless. Also, if the pricing is "from 2500", does that mean it's more if you want to ride the weestrom?

nsaP posted:

I feel genuine pity for people who need a corporate 'adventure' so they can 'develop character and provoke courage'. They remind me of church day camps when I was 8. How boring must their lives be if they do, once a lifetime, what others do every weekend?

Those men were so manly they started a fire with nothing but a pile of wood and a propane torch. Rarr.

I don't feel a loving ounce of pity for someone when they are so unwilling to even try to push their comfort levels that they can't make it out of the city without a range rover, a support team, a propane torch, artesianal cheese, cell phones, a support team of cooks, a supply of fresh fish, individual tents, all so that they can ride just over 100 miles of asphalt and fire roads in a day.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I empathize I guess cause I came from a Range Rover kinda family. When you've spent your whole childhood insulated and in your comfort zone even a 2500 dollar adventure weekend can be empowering and 'character building' haha.

I have friends who refuse to sleep in a tent and 'just have to have a shower every day' so I rate these guys a bit higher.

Thanks for the tip on lubing my rotor buttons btw, I haven't had the brakes shudder again since I did that.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 9, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

^^^ Yeah but standing around the water cooler at your marketing startup, talking about how you really felt like you knew what oscar wilde, or mark twain, or some guy was on about is priceless.

Thoreau, it's always Thoreau

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

I empathize I guess cause I came from a Range Rover kinda family. When you've spent your whole childhood insulated and in your comfort zone even a 2500 dollar adventure weekend can be empowering and 'character building' haha.

Thanks for the tip on lubing my rotor buttons btw, I haven't had the brakes shudder again since I did that.

Man you missed out on so many masculinity points by not paying someone else to do it for you while you ate artesianal cheese and drank tiny gin and tonics while sharing stories about how being a man was so much easier before we had to worry about the perils of petticoat rule.

But seriously: You managed to make it out of your comfort zone, and found some pretty cool poo poo on the way. There's literally nothing, probably less than nothing, stopping those guys from spending 2k on a KLR and riding around. Or spending 150-300 bucks on learning to ride their bikes at a dirt school, or one of a thousand other things that would actually be some kind of meaningful experience that educated you or changed your outlook on the world. If you've got 2.5k to spend on a catered overnight trip where you ride up dirt roads and pretend like you're a badass, the only thing that's holding you back is yourself.

I want to do that route on my 675 and then post a video about it calling them all tremendous douchebags. You could do that entire trip in a day, no problem.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 9, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Is this it? Is this how those weekend warriors and "real riders" we mock feel when they tell us we don't ride real bikes or aren't real bikers?

It just comes off as so pathetic to me. "No, gently caress you dad! I may not have joined the Army like you, but I can afford to have someone cater a weekend trip for me! I rode on dirt! I am a MAN!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Take cheese and pre-mixed gin and tonics. That way they can't claim you didn't do the /whole/ trip.