Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

I've got an eighteen minute window.

flyboi posted:

if you want to really sperg out about signals and the sort this guy has a ton of information about it
http://www.infocellar.com/television/

welp i know what i'm doing today. thanks buddy! *closes outlook*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow posted:

Here is a cool photoshop action for doing the film desaturation curve I talked about.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9h993k9mhph32k9

It will make your SLR images look more filmic. Then throw this image on top with an overlay function and boom.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7314861896_292120872b_o.png

Here's a sample for the lazy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

~Coxy posted:

I use VGA on my xbox 360 because it's the only way to get authentic 4:3 resolutions

what kind of tv/monitor are u using

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

speasking of lovely video codecs

watch the "720p" version. you'll have to check your settings repeatedly to make sure its on 720

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

eh not liking interpolation is a sign of good tatse (most people leave it on) ind interp motion is weird looking

actual hi fps looks good though, i will watch a live sport sometimes for it and i dont even like sportsball that much

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hey guys i just fixed iOS 7

pagancow fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 9, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

hey guys i just fixed iOS 7

its still an apple product tho???

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so how bad is avchd

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sony's implementation of it in their professional cameras is really good.

its still 8-bpc 4:2:0, so take that for what it's worth.

If you're in a 5 year old workflow it sucks as FCP7 needs to convert it to prores, saving all that disk space savings you may have had.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

eh not liking interpolation is a sign of good tatse (most people leave it on) ind interp motion is weird looking

actual hi fps looks good though, i will watch a live sport sometimes for it and i dont even like sportsball that much

i'm fine with people not liking interpolation

yet somehow people prefer 24fps content that's been telecined to 30fps, over content actually recorded at the rate the tv displays

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DONT LOOK FOR 3:2 PULLDOWN

once you see it it can't be unseen

just be happy with your movies

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I get legit angry when i see a movie not on 24hz display.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

remember kids dont get to the level pagancow has.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

already ruined on the 3:2 pulldown :sigh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

I get legit angry when i see a movie not on 24hz display.

i was h*cka mad when an update for my wdtv broke the auto frame rate switching

i didnt buy this tv to look at telecining :doom:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

pagancow posted:

this makes star track look really bad sometimes, but supposedly it looks better on a CRT because of interlacing???

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also I just switched to VGA so my raspi could use the hdmi port and I don't really notice any difference

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

it's not just interpolation at fault

people that watch content that was recorded at 60fps say that it looks awful and fake and weird even when viewing it on a 60fps display

it was called the soap opera effect because soaps were the first to record content in full 60fps 1080i and the first content to be broadcast at 1080i

our eyes/brain are so used to the slower frame rate that the lack of the blur our brains create to compensate for the lack of information is jolting once that is removed

jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

I've got an eighteen minute window.
Ahaaha, this is hilarious:

Wikipedia posted:

Color eraser (mekhikon)

In the 70's, the Israeli government considered the import of color televisions as frivolous and a luxury that would increase social gaps. Therefore, the government ordered the Israel Broadcasting Authority to erase the color from color-taped telecasts by erasing the "burst phase" signal. The "damaged" signal triggered the "color killer" mechanism, installed in color TV sets to prevent the appearance of color. This method was named mekhikon (Hebrew: מחיקון‎ "eraser").

Color anti-eraser (anti-mekhikon)

Soon after its introduction of the "Color eraser", special TV sets with an anti-mekhikon (Hebrew: אנטי-מחיקון‎ "anti-eraser") device were offered. This device re-constructed the burst phase signal according to several known standards. The client had to turn a switch until the pictures on the screen appeared in natural colors. According to a report in Yediot Aharonoth from January 1979 clients had to manipulate the switch every 15 minutes on average in normal conditions, or up to 10 times an hour when special problems occurred, in order to restore natural colors or if the picture suddenly turned black and white.
Based on information from owners of electricity appliance stores, the report estimated that 90% of those who bought color TV sets also bought the anti-mekhikon device, whose price ranged between 2,500 and 4,000 Israeli lirot (the TV set itself cost 40-50 thousand lirot).
Eventually, the mekhikon idea was proven to be futile, and the Israeli television stopped using it in 1980, allowing color transmissions to be received freely.

You would think there was a better way, like just stripping the chroma data entirely before broadcast. This is pretty lol though, reminds me of the sily poo poo CATV companies would do to scramble premium channels.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

flyboi posted:

it's not just interpolation at fault

people that watch content that was recorded at 60fps say that it looks awful and fake and weird even when viewing it on a 60fps display

it was called the soap opera effect because soaps were the first to record content in full 60fps 1080i and the first content to be broadcast at 1080i

our eyes/brain are so used to the slower frame rate that the lack of the blur our brains create to compensate for the lack of information is jolting once that is removed

its not 60 fps

its 29.97 interlaced.

The CRT updates it every 60 times a second and gives the appearance of "60 cycles per second" but the transport is only at 29.97

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh for reals i know bad taste abounds

there is a trend of shooting tv shows and commercials at 24 fps because its "more cinematic" at a time when movies are seriously starting to play with higher frame rates

lol

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

pagancow posted:

its not 60 fps

its 29.97 interlaced.

The CRT updates it every 60 times a second and gives the appearance of "60 cycles per second" but the transport is only at 29.97

woops my fart

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh for reals i know bad taste abounds

there is a trend of shooting tv shows and commercials at 24 fps because its "more cinematic" at a time when movies are seriously starting to play with higher frame rates

lol

the hobbit and????

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

the hobbit and????

well its a start isnt it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

24 is going to stay around for a looooong time

:feelsgood:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yeah idgaf all that much since actually going to a theater is for suckers. i do want to see the second hobbit movie in 48 fps just to see it (even the 24/3d wasnt bad)

for some reason the closest theater that shows hfr is in a smaller city almost an hour away :psyduck:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

48fps honestly did add to the hobit experience because you could see what was going on in the action scenes better

on the other hand you can sorta see the shutter more easily too? maybe? I only noticed it when some embers were floating by during that one scene

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

lets get 1080/48p added to blu-ray spec

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

a professional color grader will tell you that tastefully saturing certain color channels is what will give your image a premium look. Using a full 1D LUT on your image will certantly make it look shittier unless it's shot in some goofy log space on an arri alexa.

got any links regarding this? or that satureation vs luminace thing? how do you do that sat vs lum thing in photoshop

i wanna gently caress around with this stuff! its generally cool to do

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
look at this

pure poo poo

so pixelated

how can anyone even look at that

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

pagancow posted:

PAL supremacy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Qwertycoatl posted:

PAL supremacy

euros are just used to high squeaky voices i guess

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
here's some good reading. very informative and interesting

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=167428

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

4:2:0 vs. 4:4:4 is definitly very noticeable on videogame footage for example IMHO.

Also, regardless if noticeable or not: hey, we're in the year 2013, FULL-HD should be true FULL-HD and not just 1080p luma and a mere 540p chroma...

And so on...

Also, by the way:

See here: http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/misc/jpg_vs_gif/JpgCompTest/JpgChromaSub.html

The 4:4:4 example over there looks much better than the 4:2:0 counterpart IMHO. Much better. It looks much cleaner and therefore has much better definition.

And look at that mess in the magnified picture .

As already mentioned, chroma subsampling is a very evil thing .

quote:

quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutnik
as the eye is using colour subsampling as well.
Quote:
What else are cones, if not pixels, even if not arranged in rectangular net ? And eye provide to brain higher resolution for intensity than for color.
All invalid points to me, because i can perfectly see the difference between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 with, guess what, my own eyes .

And it's a HUGE difference i tell ya .

quote:

Quote:
If there is sufficient resolution you do not notice bleeding.
I always notice the bleeding. And it's very annoying.

quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
But that's no reason why it shouldn't be specified and supported
IMHO, 4:4:4 should be mandatory and the be the only supported format. 4:2:0 (or 4:2:2) shouldn't be supported any longer IMHO.

It's quite sad to see how many of you in here seem to be okay with chroma subsampling...

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

euros are just used to high squeaky voices i guess

yeah we hate deep bass sounds in tv because its "uncinematic"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

chumpchous posted:

All invalid points to me, because i can perfectly see the difference between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 with, guess what, my own eyes .

And it's a HUGE difference i tell ya .

I always notice the bleeding. And it's very annoying.

IMHO, 4:4:4 should be mandatory and the be the only supported format. 4:2:0 (or 4:2:2) shouldn't be supported any longer IMHO.

It's quite sad to see how many of you in here seem to be okay with chroma subsampling...
[/quote]

it's ;) really ;) not ;) the ;) same ;) if ;) you ;) don't ;) include ;) the ;) all ;) important ;) smiley ;) punctuation

e: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by paradoxical

Yes. I've seen tons of people since the beginning of HDTVs that walk into stores like Best Buy and watch stock content of upscaled DVDs and 480i TV content and are amazed at the "HD" picture. Your point of view is so far from the average consumer's that it's hilarious.
My POV is not hilarious then. Instead the POV of the average consumer is sad.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

chroma subsampling, not even 4:2:2

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

spankmeister posted:

chroma subsampling, not even 4:2:2

unless you have sperg eyes its really hard to tell chroma subsampling from normal viewing distances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really want to know what he watches

i mean there's literally nothing on television worth seeing in perfect color

• Locked thread