Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Brett824 posted:

Yeah a dedicated community for a 12 year old game who donated a ton to breast cancer to get their game at EVO, and then proceeded to have the third most entrants (the most in the history of their game at any tournament) not being able to get any stream time is hilarious. :rolleyes:

I'm reminded of that article I linked where Sakurai vehemently claimed that Smash wasn't a fighting game. Except this time it's Nintendo bending over backwards to say it, and they don't give a flying gently caress how many people (all of them rabid Nintendo fans) they piss off in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Broken Loose posted:

Oh, wow.

So, Nintendo is bullying Evo. They're not allowed to stream Melee. Melee Finals are moved to Saturday afternoon.

Persona 4 is now first thing Sunday, with KOF immediately afterward.

lol nintendo

This. This is the greatest.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostpilot posted:

I wonder what the logic is behind this; it's free publicity.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"The Smash Bros community reflects on us so badly we'd rather have no publicity" -- shigeru miyamoto, inventor of nintendo

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Broken Loose posted:

Persona 4 is now first thing Sunday, with KOF immediately afterward.
I don't see an issue here

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Shoutouts to Nintendo for improving Evo

Edit: Oh god the comments section is blowing up so hard on Eventhubs. A full lake of pubbie tears.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dj_de posted:

I don't see an issue here

Yeah, at least P4A won't run late instead of literally every game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nintendo is really dumb and I also question how much legal backing they have in this. I guess it qualifies as a public performance, maybe disallowing that is in the eula somewhere? I'm like 65% sure that they could stream it anyway (sans ads) without repercussions, but I can see why Wiz wouldn't take that risk. The stream will be better for it anyway, smash players are awful.

I think they are a dead company walking anyway, unless they switch to making software ala Sega. They just don't 'get' online things, and it will be their downfall. I'll donate $100 to the Against Malaria Foundation if Nintendo makes two more home consoles after the WiiU. :toxx:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jeffrey posted:

I think they are a dead company walking anyway, unless they switch to making software ala Sega. They just don't 'get' online things, and it will be their downfall. I'll donate $100 to breast cancer if Nintendo makes two more home consoles after the WiiU. :toxx:

I was wondering how long it was going to take for this dumb post to happen

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Nintendo is really dumb and I also question how much legal backing they have in this. I guess it qualifies as a public performance, maybe disallowing that is in the eula somewhere? I'm like 65% sure that they could stream it anyway (sans ads) without repercussions, but I can see why Wiz wouldn't take that risk. The stream will be better for it anyway, smash players are awful.

I think they are a dead company walking anyway, unless they switch to making software ala Sega. They just don't 'get' online things, and it will be their downfall. I'll donate $100 to breast cancer if Nintendo makes two more home consoles after the WiiU. :toxx:

Might as well donate now!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If Nintendo ever discovers twitch TV, they'll poo poo

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Jeffrey posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this post.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Electromax posted:

If Nintendo ever discovers twitch TV, they'll poo poo

Quick someone hide cosmowright and siglemic in a bunker!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Ghostpilot posted:

I wonder what the logic is behind this; it's free publicity

Free publicity for a game 10 years old and from two generations ago.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Ryaomon posted:

Well, the better question is why do something that has any chance to do PR damage and pretty much no upside.

(Except for all the other FG players)

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Ryaomon posted:

Doesn't exactly stop people from playing ST or whatever.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I definitely understand the publicity angle, but really I can't see the venn diagram of "People Watching Evo Streams" x "People Who Aren't Fully Aware of Smash Already" having much overlap. The next Smash games aren't out for a while and N doesn't really care about marketing an old game that you'd have to get a used Gamecube to play anyway. However if they were savvy they would look into featuring the new Smash at demo events like this as it approaches launch, similar to SFxT or whatever. I guess that would require patching this situation up too, probably.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I don't like Smash, I hate the Smash community, but Nintendo is making a stupid decision here.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Yoo Fgc Iluminati making sure there is NO EVIDENCE of Melee at Evo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It sucks for the Smash community but anyone who thinks this is gonna affect Nintendo in the slightest is being ridiculous. Smash doesn't need exposure because everyone and their mom is gonna buy the new one when it comes out regardless of if a decade old game everyone already knows exists gets shown on a fighting game stream or not. They'd get next to nothing out of it if they did allow it and they're gonna lose next to nothing by saying they don't want it streamed.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Brother Entropy posted:

It sucks for the Smash community but anyone who thinks this is gonna affect Nintendo in the slightest is being ridiculous. Smash doesn't need exposure because everyone and their mom is gonna buy the new one when it comes out regardless of if a decade old game everyone already knows exists gets shown on a fighting game stream or not. They'd get next to nothing out of it if they did allow it and they're gonna lose next to nothing by saying they don't want it streamed.

I'm pretty sure nobody's saying it's gonna affect Nintendo but it's still kinda lovely to do

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jeffrey posted:

I think they are a dead company walking anyway, unless they switch to making software ala Sega. They just don't 'get' online things, and it will be their downfall. I'll donate $100 to the Against Malaria Foundation if Nintendo makes two more home consoles after the WiiU. :toxx:

Posts like this are making my night. Keep them coming. Glad I won't have to sit through boring no-item final destination matches.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

What is the deal with this, did she lose a bet?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sure it's kinda a dick move for Nintendo, but I'm thrilled that P4 and KOF get the Sunday spot now.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Considering they did donate a pretty substantial amount to charity in order to get this game in the runnings, this really seems like a bad decision by Nintendo. Even if the Smash community is awful, even if this event holds no real PR advantage for them, this just seems like a mindless decision by their legal department.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

They donated for the game to have a competition at Evo, they never said there was going to be a stream.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
I'm glad to see anime on the final day but apparently LK booked his flight home for Sunday at 7 AM? Please deliver us from JP-on-JP grand finals Banana Slab :ohdear:

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Mio Bison posted:

I'm glad to see anime on the final day but apparently LK booked his flight home for Sunday at 7 AM? Please deliver us from JP-on-JP grand finals Banana Slab :ohdear:

LK said he'll figure out what's happening if he makes it in so there's a chance he might end up playing in the round of 8 anyway. I hope he does, at least

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

They donated for the game to have a competition at Evo, they never said there was going to be a stream.

I misread it, I thought they were outright preventing them from having the competition in the first place.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Amazon?

Are they usually more than that?

Sorry, thought you said "stick" and not "pad". My reading comprehension isn't too good today!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp. Smash is back, everyone can stop crying about it not being streamed from EVO and resume complaining about the fact that it will be.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
gently caress, I was really psyched about Persona and KOF as well as the amazing drama.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
So SF4 finals are at 7pm LV time? that's like 5am central european time.. poo poo, there goes my monday

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
:siren::siren::siren::siren:Goons that are attending EVO.:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

We're making a LINE chatroom for groupchat so you can know where other goons are playing games.

idongs: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/line/id443904275?mt=8

andorks: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.naver.line.android

Once you register, go to: Settings > Profile > User ID.

Set a User ID and post it in this thread and we'll invite you to the groupchat. You can check the messages in the chatroom to figure out what other goons are doing/playing and generally keep in touch with your spergy forum citizens over the weekend.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in the middle of writing an Evo thread so I'll throw that info into the OP.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I'm going to temporarily close the Lets Watch Pro FG thread during the weekend so people post in the Evo thread.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Waterbed posted:

I'm going to temporarily close the Lets Watch Pro FG thread during the weekend so people post in the Evo thread.

but what if they want to talk about that jp cvs2 tourney what then

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Brosnan posted:

I'm in the middle of writing an Evo thread so I'll throw that info into the OP.

link it in here when you're done please

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Plane to Vegas is about to take off. I'm hype to body all you chumps in UMVC3 when I get there.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

interrodactyl posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren:Goons that are attending EVO.:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

We're making a LINE chatroom for groupchat so you can know where other goons are playing games.

I'm Renleve, put me in coach! Flying east coast to Vegas arriving at 10 PM local time tomorrow, got my SF4 pool at 8 AM Friday morning. Gonna be running on nothing but hype by Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

interrodactyl posted:

idongs: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/line/id443904275?mt=8

andorks: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.naver.line.android

Once you register, go to: Settings > Profile > User ID.

Set a User ID and post it in this thread and we'll invite you to the groupchat. You can check the messages in the chatroom to figure out what other goons are doing/playing and generally keep in touch with your spergy forum citizens over the weekend.

Leaving from the East at 8:30 AM, should get there about 10-11 am Pacific. Looking forward to fighting Tokido in Tekken Friday morning!

• Locked thread