Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Jesus man. Well done, but I'm not sure I have the patience for that. Plus, with my luck there'd inevitably be a gently caress up along the way. Took Rogers 3 attempts to send me a nano sim despite very careful instructions and acknowledgement to that effect.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

This is the problem.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

This is the problem.

Thought I was safe by ordering over the phone (I.e. not online). Nope!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Big 3 file to overturn parts of the CRTC Wireless Conduct Code, including the retroactive application on current contracts.

Who didn't see this one coming?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I really hope the court of appeal tells them to screw off. They have knowledge of when all contracts will be subject to the new code, it's their choice if they want to keep selling 3 year contracts knowing that the code will apply to all contracts by June 3, 2015.

Their crying about the subsidy should fall on deaf ears, considering US carriers have supplied the same subsidies for years on 2 year contracts.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Only vaguely "cellular" related, but is the well of 416 numbers completely dry, or do they become available from time to time? I imagine it's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to get a 212 number.
There always seem to be a bunch available, but despite whatever the holding period is, be prepared for piles of wrong numbers and texts, and the occasional collections call.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

I really hope the court of appeal tells them to screw off. They have knowledge of when all contracts will be subject to the new code, it's their choice if they want to keep selling 3 year contracts knowing that the code will apply to all contracts by June 3, 2015.

Their crying about the subsidy should fall on deaf ears, considering US carriers have supplied the same subsidies for years on 2 year contracts.

Not just the US - the whole drat world, or at least the part where handset subsidies exist.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

teethgrinder posted:

There always seem to be a bunch available, but despite whatever the holding period is, be prepared for piles of wrong numbers and texts, and the occasional collections call.

I've had this 416 number for the past 5 years and just the other week some collections agency called me asking for someone else, I think I recognized the name as someone who used to have the number before me because when I first got it I got a lot of calls asking for her.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

DarkJC posted:

I'm still waiting for the subsidy from providing my own phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I'm still waiting for the subsidy from providing my own phone.

I get a whopping $2.50 off of my bill for bringing my own phone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah me too, 10% off the 'base price' ($25) of my plan, even though with data realistically I'm paying $50/month after taxes. Of course it makes perfect sense that 'addons' don't count. They're addons! Perfect sense!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it possible? Yes

Is it profitabe? No. See, if they tell you after, they make more money

This completely explains why my bandwidth use doesn't update on Rogers' website until 48 hours later.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

This completely explains why my bandwidth use doesn't update on Rogers' website until 48 hours later.

With Rogers, you never quite know whether to blame incompetence or greed...

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

With Rogers, you never quite know whether to blame incompetence or greed...

I think that can be expanded to all 3, really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the main reason I have 6gb with them.

I don't even use 500mb, but according to Rogers I might. There's no way they can ever misreport me up to 6gb.

(It was a promo price, only $5 more a month than 500mb.)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's the main reason I have 6gb with them.
There's no way they can ever misreport me up to 6gb.

That sounds like a challenge!

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Well, pack it up everyone - we're a world leader in wireless. The funny thing is I bet that 40% figure comes from Wind/Mobi plans even though they withdrew from the CWTA due to the massive incumbent bias.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha wow, what bloody brilliant propaganda.

So, the Wall Communications Report, the first article states a drop of 13% across the board for services (5% decrease for plans with data) as of April 2013 (was not able to find the July report) (full April report here). That's a bit off the 40% they said in the report.

Wasn't able to find any source on the second statement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just assume the "world" they're referring to is the third world.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Martytoof posted:

I just assume the "world" they're referring to is the third world.

Cell phone service, plans, prices are all much better in the third world than in Canada. Sorry marty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But I mean you gotta worry about getting kidnapped or machete'd so I guess I'd pay a little more to talk on my cellphone and not have to worry about all that :3:

Wait I forgot what my point was.

Oh yeah, gently caress Canadian Telco.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
They made sure that one of the cities sampled was Regina in order to get SaskTel numbers in there, thus making the average look ever-so-slightly more reasonable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Michael Geist has a quick summary of the report here. The full report is here Basically lower tier wireless/internet service is not that expensive, but mid- and high-level services are comparable to and in some cases even more expensive than in the US, not to mention every other country in the sample except maybe Japan (when adjusted for PPP).

Right now I pay $22 for unlimited voice/text/data from Mobilicity in Toronto. Wind has comparable deals at around $30. Meanwhile, Rogers is advertising similar service for 60 drat dollars a month, and only with 500mb data. Phone subsidies come nowhere near making up the difference. Of course if you're not in one of the cities covered by Wind/Mobilicity or a decent regional carrier like SaskTel you are going to be completely boned.

I guess it's also true that Telus tends to have better deals for BC than they do in Ontario, if the posts I see on redflagdeals are accurate.

Oh, they also included Public Mobile, which is going to bring down the low-end service basket even more.

The important data:

code:
Canada U.S. U.K. France Australia Japan
Wireline Service
Level 1 (low-volume use) $ 35.33 $ 45.88 $ 31.68 $ 33.53 $ 46.30 $ 30.45
Level 2 (average use) $ 55.77 $ 70.85 $ 42.35 $ 51.93 $ 77.05 $ 61.70
Level 3 (high-volume use) $ 61.53 $ 76.08 $ 61.35 $ 55.03 $ 96.00 $ 97.17

Wireless Service
Level 1 (low-volume use) $ 30.71 $ 33.08 $ 21.97 $ 20.24 $ 21.82 $ 28.09
Level 2 (average use) $ 44.86 $ 76.14 $ 38.85 $ 44.08 $ 35.04 $ 44.36
Level 3 (high-volume use) $ 93.59 $ 145.79 $ 63.52 $ 58.90 $ 49.54 $ 125.24
Wow, are land lines ever expensive. It's remarkable that people still use them. Meanwhile, it seems like only the PPP adjustment keeps Canada competitive, and I guess some remarkable price gouging in some American cities.

Also of note:

code:
Table 3
2013 Canadian Mobile Wireless Service Rates
Incumbents versus New Entrants

Baskets Vancouver Toronto Montreal Average

Level 1 Basket (150 min/month)
Incumbents $ 30.38 $ 32.05 $ 30.65 $ 31.03
New Entrants $ 22.09 $ 23.72 $ 29.58 $ 25.13
Percentage Differential -27% -26% -4% -19%

Level 2 Basket (450 min and 300 text per month)
Incumbents $ 44.41 $ 44.41 $ 44.68 $ 44.50
New Entrants $ 38.10 $ 37.07 $ 40.18 $ 38.45
Percentage Differential -14% -17% -10% -14%

Level 3 Basket (1200 min, 300 text and 1GB data per month)
Incumbents $ 95.03 $ 94.36 $ 94.63 $ 94.67
New Entrants $ 53.30 $ 50.53 $ 69.95 $ 57.93
Percentage Differential -44% -46% -26% -39%

Simple unweighted averages used in all cases.
Like you might have suspected, the price drops in the high usage basket have everything to do with new entrants and nothing to do with the incumbents. They're just biding their time waiting for Wind/Mobilicity to fail.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2013

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Does anyone here get good corporate rates? I got a job with one of the big banks and I'm hoping to get something better than the absolutely lovely contract I've got now.

bowser fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bowser posted:

Does anyone here get good corporate rates? I got a job with one of the big banks and I'm hoping to get something better than absolutely lovely contract I've got now.

Rogers is so loving stupid that if I want to take advantage of the generous discount (no sarcasm), I have to sign up for a new 3 year contract. They can get hosed.

Also I know people love Wind but my buddy got an iPhone 5 that works on Wind and his reception is garbage unless he's in the downtown core. Not worth it in my opinion.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Koodo just launched a plan with unlimited national calling, and 3GB of data for $60 monthly:
https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

That's definitely progress of a kind. 4-5 years ago, this would've been utterly unthinkable.

(as a side note, does anyone know if Koodo's data is LTE? And if so, is it throttled with respect to Telus speeds in the same area?)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's downright nice. Giving serious thought to ditching Rogers. I might wait to see how this Verizon thing shakes out though, since I'm not DESPERATE to find something better. A cheaper bill would be nice no matter what, though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 9, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Looks like it's actually 2GB for $60 monthly though, and unless you need the minutes the Talk and Text plans with Pay Per Use data are still a better value.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
They're getting into the ballpark of what I'm willing to pay. Something around $50-$60 a month with no headaches unlimited calling and a chunk of data big enough I don't have to worry about it as long as I don't do ridiculous things like download Infinity Blade on the bus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, 2gb is more or less reasonable IMHO. For sporadic "checking poo poo on the go" and occasional "downloading a thing" use it's pretty good. People on the go more than me could probably easily burn through 2gb quickly, but I think 2 is a REASONABLE thing to include in a basic plan. Like 500mb was borderline ridiculous. I never once went over, but I also had to majorly restrain myself.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Actually, looks like only in Quebec do they offer it with 3GB. Still... pretty good deal.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canada sees progress over time in the amount of services you get but the price never seems to come down. I don't want a $60+ phone bill and will never sign a contract until that comes down to $30.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Canada sees progress over time in the amount of services you get but the price never seems to come down. I don't want a $60+ phone bill and will never sign a contract until that comes down to $30.

At least at $60, and with a 10% discount for bringing your own phone, that's into the realm of affordably bringing your own device and eschewing the contract system entirely.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Oddly last summer Koodo had basically that same plan but with 6gigs of data. Actually all the budget carriers had something like that going I think, or at least Fido did. I don't know why they've backed off so much to 1/2/3gigs since then. I haven't seen anything with more than 2 or now 3gigs at that $60 price point since the big sale ended in august or september last year.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Oddly last summer Koodo had basically that same plan but with 6gigs of data. Actually all the budget carriers had something like that going I think, or at least Fido did. I don't know why they've backed off so much to 1/2/3gigs since then. I haven't seen anything with more than 2 or now 3gigs at that $60 price point since the big sale ended in august or september last year.

I suspect they probably realized in retrospect just how valuable data is as it can replace every other service. They first introduced 6GB plans back in 2008 - a generation ago in mobile computing terms. That was when they still treated minutes like gold dust, and was in the heyday of charging for CID and such. Now data is virtually the only discriminant between price tiers.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm on rogers pay as you go and it's massively cheaper for me to buy an iphone straight up and put a $100 card on it (lasts 1 year). I then get the text messaging package which is $3 a month, grab a skype yearly subscription, and grab the $5 for 60mb data (or 1 week) vouchers as needed when I'm away from wireless. Works out to $15 a month for me.

I just do all my long distance calling at home or work where I have wireless, use text messaging for all my usual communication and use pay minutes for the occasional voice call.

Paying four times that much money for the same service is basically flushing money down the drain.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 9, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well yeah, if you don't use your phone as a phone it's pretty cheap.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lexicon posted:

I suspect they probably realized in retrospect just how valuable data is as it can replace every other service. They first introduced 6GB plans back in 2008 - a generation ago in mobile computing terms. That was when they still treated minutes like gold dust, and was in the heyday of charging for CID and such. Now data is virtually the only discriminant between price tiers.

If I could get a $25-$30 a month 2gb data only no phone/texting plan I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. The ability to make calls is a secondary feature to me. I just want to be able to browse forums, IM, email, check Twitter and play the odd online game while on the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

BGrifter posted:

If I could get a $25-$30 a month 2gb data only no phone/texting plan I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. The ability to make calls is a secondary feature to me. I just want to be able to browse forums, IM, email, check Twitter and play the odd online game while on the bus.

You sort of can, with an iPad plan. I'd be tempted to go that route entirely if I knew an iPad provisioned sim would reliably work in an unlocked iPhone.