Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

evilwaldo posted:

When you are low man on the totem pole you go along with the crew no matter what. He has to live with them every day for months on end. To someone like Freddy who never had someone say no it is like a slap in the face.

So that makes the grief and abuse ok? Really?

That was rhetorical. All the kid wanted to do was work hard, get paid, come back and do it again. Oh yeah, that sounds like a really loving lovely greenhorn to me. And what's worse is that it was all over a stupid hair cut of all things. About the fight; let's be honest, it was what Freddy wanted the entire time and what he was working toward after targeting the poor kid for abuse. He and the captain were determined to make this kid's life miserable however they could get away with it. This is the loving definition of BULLYING. And what's he gonna do? Run? Where? He's on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Keith, try as he might, seems physically incapable of rationally or professionally handling any situation put in front of him. It's disgusting.

And it's probably not over. Keith feels his ego so personally injured by this that he's probably done quite a bit between when that happened and when this episode aired to make sure that kid can't get a decent job on any other boat. I would not be at all surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Keith has serious emotional problems and his boat is full of unhinged individuals with no sense of discipline as a result. Just because they all respect him and each other doesn't mean they have discipline. I can't remember seeing anything like what happened on the Wizard this year on any other boats.

Elliot also has seriously mental issues, as I have said before. He obsesses over his ex, constantly trying to get back with her. Starts seeing someone else, but lies to her about it to her face and tries to make it like she is wrong, then gets mad when the mistress is cheating on him, which results him in relaying death threats to the other guy, and... proposing to the mistress.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ToastyPotato posted:

Keith has serious emotional problems and his boat is full of unhinged individuals with no sense of discipline as a result. Just because they all respect him and each other doesn't mean they have discipline. I can't remember seeing anything like what happened on the Wizard this year on any other boats.

Elliot also has seriously mental issues, as I have said before. He obsesses over his ex, constantly trying to get back with her. Starts seeing someone else, but lies to her about it to her face and tries to make it like she is wrong, then gets mad when the mistress is cheating on him, which results him in relaying death threats to the other guy, and... proposing to the mistress.

Don't forget the Saga listing 15°+ to port and Elliot brushing it off as no big deal seemingly because he failed to order to break ice prior to stacking on. And while all that potential disaster is happening, the boat is limping along on one engine knocking about at half it's normal oil pressure. This guy is going to loose his boat and entire crew.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

trouser chili posted:

Don't forget the Saga listing 15°+ to port and Elliot brushing it off as no big deal seemingly because he failed to order to break ice prior to stacking on. And while all that potential disaster is happening, the boat is limping along on one engine knocking about at half it's normal oil pressure. This guy is going to loose his boat and entire crew.

Well, someone has to carry on Keith's tradition, since he only bullies Greenhorns now, not tries to kill them together with the rest of the crew any more.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

trouser chili posted:

This guy is going to loose his boat and entire crew.

Better to be loose and drifting than stuck and fully functional, I guess.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Wow, gently caress the Wizard and the whole crew at this point. Lenny tells Mouse to gently caress off and the greenhorn gets blamed for it?!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Wow, gently caress the Wizard and the whole crew at this point. Lenny tells Mouse to gently caress off and the greenhorn gets blamed for it?!
BAD ENERGY MAN BAD ENERGY

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

BuhamutZeo posted:

So that makes the grief and abuse ok? Really?

That was rhetorical. All the kid wanted to do was work hard, get paid, come back and do it again. Oh yeah, that sounds like a really loving lovely greenhorn to me. And what's worse is that it was all over a stupid hair cut of all things. About the fight; let's be honest, it was what Freddy wanted the entire time and what he was working toward after targeting the poor kid for abuse. He and the captain were determined to make this kid's life miserable however they could get away with it. This is the loving definition of BULLYING. And what's he gonna do? Run? Where? He's on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Keith, try as he might, seems physically incapable of rationally or professionally handling any situation put in front of him. It's disgusting.

And it's probably not over. Keith feels his ego so personally injured by this that he's probably done quite a bit between when that happened and when this episode aired to make sure that kid can't get a decent job on any other boat. I would not be at all surprised.

If the kid ever watched the show he would know how close they were as a group. it is lighthearted and a way to bring the group together. The kid should have gotten a mohawk with the group. He is a greenhorn and has to earn respect from the group.

I am sure there was some editing there because the kid did have an attitude during interviews and how everything spiraled out of control afterwards was a mess. Freddy never should have started with him throwing the octopus and the kid jumping Freddy was wrong. What did the kid expect to get out of jumping another crew member?

But Keith was right about the kid bringing a lot of negative vibes on board. On a tight boat where there is no place to get away you have to try to get along with a lot of different personalities. If someone is not a part of the group then things will spiral out of control quickly.

Honestly, I think the kid went stir crazy and a LOT was edited out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

What got me was his constant bitching that he didnt want to be apart of some fraternity...you joined an Alaskan crab boat it doesn't get any more fraternity than that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What was pretty great too was Dane deciding to quit, and Keith just getting angrier and angrier while talking to Dane even though all Dane was doing was basically saying nothing but "yes" or "no", and then threatening to tie him to his bed, and all while he's getting this angry about Dane quitting even though he can't wait to fire the guy.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 4, 2013

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

evilwaldo posted:

What did the kid expect to get out of jumping another crew member?

Well I'm sure he had planned it hours, if not days in advance before lunging at Freddy between 3 other crew members in a tightly cramped space. :haw:

evilwaldo posted:

But Keith was right about the kid bringing a lot of negative vibes on board.

I'll make this as simple as I loving can: BAD VIBES is not a valid reason to gang up on someone 5:1 to emotionally, mentally, and physically abuse them when they can't get away from you. Yes, squids and octopi count as physical. If he was a bad fit for the ship, they should have just let him be, told him it wasn't working out, and let him off at the next offload. Not even in the same ballpark as what went down on that boat.

We all knew Keith was quite violent. He regularly attacks cameramen and once took a swing at another captain, both over nothing. But this episode showed us how much he ENJOYS acting that way. And then Freddy...I really liked him too, but I believe you can judge a man by those he doesn't have to treat well.

gently caress Freddy, he'll always be an rear end in a top hat to me now, and I honestly fear for the future of that new kid of his. Just one disappointment over the wrong thing at the wrong time will be all it takes. :(

This episode sucked.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
This incident made me lose a lot of respect for Freddy. I always thought he was cool but the way he turned on the kid was pretty poor.

I think more will come out in the after show and a LOT of stuff was edited out.

The more I think about it the kid was a bit of a loner focusing on his work but didn't seem to fit in well with the group for whatever reason.

They do a group thing that makes everyone laugh and he refuses. Kid is not fitting in which is huge when you are low man on the totem pole on a boat in the middle of the ocean. You do stuff to fit in and try to be friends with the crew. You are going to work with them on 72 hour shifts. You live in close quarters. You need to try and get along even if they do things you may not agree with you go along with it. It is a hair cut.

Freddy starts harassing the kid (octopus incident).

Then the kid jumps Freddy but the cameras were not around so nobody caught anything on tape. Could something have happened when the cameras were off? Then again the kid was talking about doing something like jumping Freddy. We will never know because the crew will always back each other up.

Morale drops and Keith blames the kid. Keith being a jerk but that is par for the course when he is on the boat for a few months.

I think a lot was edited out.

It doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Everyone just looks bad.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 4, 2013

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
That's a bunch of crap. Other captains don't attack other captains, let alone the camera men. Other crews don't throw poo poo at greenhorns or tell them bold face that they're going to do everything they can to get them fired.

My point is this would have never come close to happening on any other boat by sheer virtue of the fact that other boat captains don't have a "punch what makes me mad" attitude that infects the rest of their crew. I also genuinely hope that kids sues the boat for whatever he can and we never have to see Keith's face on the show again except for flashbacks now and then, most likely the time he charged another captain around the barrel fire. Probably won't happen since the kid did finally snap. Too bad.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BuhamutZeo posted:

That's a bunch of crap. Other captains don't attack other captains, let alone the camera men. Other crews don't throw poo poo at greenhorns or tell them bold face that they're going to do everything they can to get them fired.

My point is this would have never come close to happening on any other boat by sheer virtue of the fact that other boat captains don't have a "punch what makes me mad" attitude that infects the rest of their crew. I also genuinely hope that kids sues the boat for whatever he can and we never have to see Keith's face on the show again except for flashbacks now and then, most likely the time he charged another captain around the barrel fire. Probably won't happen since the kid did finally snap. Too bad.

He's already still on that thing they show before each episode with the captains isn't he? That tells you right there that nothing happened to him or his boat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BuhamutZeo posted:

Because Keith talking poo poo about a horn means anything. The captains all know each other's quirks in that fleet; I'm sure there's captains who want a guy who will just show up and work hard and doesn't want any nonsense or drama.

Keith is a dude who got legit angry nobody woke him up when they saw walruses or some poo poo because it would ruin the season.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The ongoing saga of greenhorns being chewed up and spat out on that boat makes so much more sense when you look at it as not just Keith being an unstable prick, but the entire crew being a bunch of abusive shits as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Doesn't the Northwestern have a near perfect record with greenhorns? They seem to genuinely like the new guy, and Jake did just fine as well. I think earlier seasons had some other new guys but I don't remember drama with them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, Sig wouldn't put up with the crap that goes on on the Wizard. I can see him giving some motivational speech about how he'll understand why they wanted him to do it someday and it's good to go along with things like that etc etc if he didn't want to get a mohawk, not flip out about being disrespected.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 4, 2013

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just watched the latest episode of Deadliest Catch and my god Keith and company are assholes. Even as he's in the process of getting off of the boat they had to gently caress with him. I hope he found that octopus before it sat too long.

Also those previews for the next episode. I really was not expecting to see that hand injury. :gonk:

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Smelly posted:

Just watched the latest episode of Deadliest Catch and my god Keith and company are assholes. Even as he's in the process of getting off of the boat they had to gently caress with him. I hope he found that octopus before it sat too long.

Also those previews for the next episode. I really was not expecting to see that hand injury. :gonk:

Did you see the next Wizard disaster we get to see with Freddy in the loving water? Surprise surprise.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BuhamutZeo posted:

Did you see the next Wizard disaster we get to see with Freddy in the loving water? Surprise surprise.

My recording cut off just as the kid stepped off the boat and they chucked his bags off, with Freddy kinda standing there. Didn't see what happened next or the preview :saddowns:

Anyway, KARMA anyone? Jesus. I bet that despite all of their superstitious beliefs, they won't think that an accident like that had anything to do with their behavior, because awful, superstitious people like that blame everything in the universe on other people and bad luck.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey, at least that was (probably) an accident and Elliot's taking up Keith's intentionally try to kill your crew every year mantle.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

My recording cut off just as the kid stepped off the boat and they chucked his bags off, with Freddy kinda standing there. Didn't see what happened next or the preview :saddowns:

Anyway, KARMA anyone? Jesus. I bet that despite all of their superstitious beliefs, they won't think that an accident like that had anything to do with their behavior, because awful, superstitious people like that blame everything in the universe on other people and bad luck.

There was an edit there where Freddy got on the boat and the kid walked away. Nobody saw what was said between the two.

Like I said before the overall arc looks edited and maybe stuff comes out on After the Catch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This idiot immediately gets sunburn, lays on the ground for a week bitching that the girl keeps bringing him coconuts to survive, then he digs a well at a massive expense of energy. The well water gives him diarrhea, and he shits all over the camp. He's been selfish and indignant the whole time, and then it comes out that he lied about his survival abilities.

Hahhaa now this rear end in a top hat cuts his foot on the coral and the girl has to catch an eel for him.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I missed Warlocks Rising and it hasn't been on since Friday. Is this show worth watching?

All of the new Discovery shows I'm really enjoying. I watched all blood and oil and absolutely loved it and also am having a good time watching naked and afraid. Street outlaws is also a fun one to watch.

I just wish they had more episodes online so I didn't have to wait for a certain day of the week to watch the show.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

This idiot immediately gets sunburn, lays on the ground for a week bitching that the girl keeps bringing him coconuts to survive, then he digs a well at a massive expense of energy. The well water gives him diarrhea, and he shits all over the camp. He's been selfish and indignant the whole time, and then it comes out that he lied about his survival abilities.

Hahhaa now this rear end in a top hat cuts his foot on the coral and the girl has to catch an eel for him.

What show is this, it sounds amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you must know, it's called "Naked and Afraid", and looks absolutely retarded.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It's terrible. The only episode I watched had a 40 something guy with a 20 something girl, and the guy was a belligerent rear end in a top hat who broke down crying. The girl was trying to maintain some sort of stability but the guy kept screaming random poo poo about hating people.

In the end they both got excellent survival grades. Moron show full of morons.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

It's terrible. The only episode I watched had a 40 something guy with a 20 something girl, and the guy was a belligerent rear end in a top hat who broke down crying. The girl was trying to maintain some sort of stability but the guy kept screaming random poo poo about hating people.

In the end they both got excellent survival grades. Moron show full of morons.

just finished the first episode and this was a pretty accurate review. It being so absolutely retarded is why I will watch it with my wife and we'll make fun of it. :allears:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yes, every episode so far has placed a mentally unstable man who gets injured due to his own bravado with a woman who is completely reasonable and rational. She takes care of him, and in the end he realizes that women can survive too. I'm not a men's rights activist or anything, but they present the same narrative every time.

I am interested to see what they're doing every day, and what they're eating, instead of crazy people drama. It seems they find a marginal source of water and then sit around and starve for 3 weeks. Survival is boring I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And then people complain that Bear drinks his own piss for no reason and does stupid poo poo that would get a normal person without a whole crew killed.

Not doing stupid poo poo for no reason isn't good tv!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

IRQ posted:

Not doing stupid poo poo for no reason isn't good tv!

Counterpoint: Survivorman. :colbert:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The ongoing saga of greenhorns being chewed up and spat out on that boat makes so much more sense when you look at it as not just Keith being an unstable prick, but the entire crew being a bunch of abusive shits as well.

It's a boat full of loving psychopaths. It bears pointing out that all of this poo poo happened because the kid didn't want a loving haircut.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, every episode so far has placed a mentally unstable man who gets injured due to his own bravado with a woman who is completely reasonable and rational. She takes care of him, and in the end he realizes that women can survive too. I'm not a men's rights activist or anything, but they present the same narrative every time.

I am interested to see what they're doing every day, and what they're eating, instead of crazy people drama. It seems they find a marginal source of water and then sit around and starve for 3 weeks. Survival is boring I guess.

You beat me to it. 3 episodes so far, and the first and third are completely about a whiny, terrible guy who needs to be completely supported by a capable girl. The 2nd episode wasn't as bad but even then the guy was injured for a big chunk of time as well.

Not that I don't appreciate the narrative that women can kick rear end, but can't they do a better job of casting men who know poo poo about surviving so we can see some actual partnership at play?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

qbert posted:

You beat me to it. 3 episodes so far, and the first and third are completely about a whiny, terrible guy who needs to be completely supported by a capable girl. The 2nd episode wasn't as bad but even then the guy was injured for a big chunk of time as well.

Not that I don't appreciate the narrative that women can kick rear end, but can't they do a better job of casting men who know poo poo about surviving so we can see some actual partnership at play?

The 2nd guy does not need his toughness questioned at all, and definitely didn't whine at all, but at the start he did have that "I know better than a girl" attitude.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

The 2nd guy does not need his toughness questioned at all, and definitely didn't whine at all, but at the start he did have that "I know better than a girl" attitude.

I think he was just saying that because he felt so useless due to being injured so long.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Naked and afraid rules. I laughed so hard during this island episode. It wasn't even the end of the first day and the giant military guy was covered in a head to toe nuclear meltdown sunburn that looks like it would put anyone on the ground. He spent 6 days wallowing in pain while the girl did everything. As things continued he treated her like poo poo and she wanted to be his best friend. It was hilarious watching him drink obviously deadly water (why didn't they boil the water? am I missing something about sea water?).

This show is awesome. I wish there was more like it because there is no gimmick except you might fuckin die because all you have is your weiner and your memories of the book hatchet. My kinda show.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Meowbot posted:

It was hilarious watching him drink obviously deadly water (why didn't they boil the water? am I missing something about sea water?).

Clearly he did not watch Survivorman, where he would have learned you can boil water in a plastic bottle.

Garbo
May 30, 2011
jesus christ, just catching up on deadliest catch. "Thanks for being the bigger man!" *heckles him as he walks away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This has probably already been discussed to death (and I read through most of it), but:

Throughout watching this series, I'd always liked Freddy, seeing him as a class act and mentor-type, which is the type of guy I like to watch at work in this series.

Then he pulls the poo poo he did riding Dane like a mule over a mohawk, causing Dane to snap. You can argue Dane probably should've gone along with it due to the whole crew bonding/crew tradition thing, but Freddy could've backed the hell off and done his job. Not a fan of Freddy anymore, and that's disappointing because he was one of my favorites (and a guy I picked for my "Fantasy crew" game on Discovery, which I basically made an All-Star Team of the show).

Keith? Nothing surprises me with him anymore. gently caress that prick and the Wizard.

Maybe it's the pilot training and crew resource management stuff I've learned, but while they were all wrong in their own ways, Keith and Freddy look like the biggest assholes in this mess. Kid doesn't want a haircut? Kid doesn't get a haircut. Do your jobs and work as a team, not as a petulant veteran deckhand.

• Locked thread