Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
It's beena long-held dream of mine to obtain an AFA-graded Beast Wars Neo Randy, then shake the poo poo out of it until he crumbles into gold fragments. It would be the centerpiece of my MISB collection-- an homage to GPS and the stupidity of AFA grading at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty sure Black Zarak had the special head that was more proportional compared to Scorponok who had that huge body with a regular headmaster size head with a silly hat on top.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Keldroc posted:

That's due to two things. First, a large chunk of the fandom likes Black Zarak a whole lot more than Scorponok, for reasons I have yet to really understand. I just hope it doesn't make Takara decide to reissue Black Zarak as an Encore before/instead of Scorponok. Second, Black Zarak is arguably the most notorious sufferer of Gold Plastic Syndrome, and it's not uncommon to find that Black Zaraks' gold pieces have crumbled while still in a sealed box. Therefore a MISB Black Zarak is an interesting collector's item, because what's inside it could be broken and worthless, or it could be one of the most sought-after figures in the franchise's history due to how few intact ones survive. So you end up with people who keep that box sealed, because as long as it's sealed, it might not have succumbed to GPS. It's like Schroedinger's Transformer. It's both worthless and super valuable. Opening it forces it into one state or the other, so most people choose to keep the box sealed.

I find it funny that the numerous reports that it is often cracked and broken inside of MISB packages actually manages to make it somehow more valuable instead of altogether worthless. Like there is literally no way of telling unless you open the box and are met with disappointment, so a whole bunch of people decided never to open the boxes and just throw money around on a theoretical reality. It's like playing the stock market but somehow more and less secure all at once.

EDIT: What would you even do if you did find a perfect one? You'd basically have to immediately seal it in a hermetic bubble and never, ever take it out just to be safe.

LightsGameraAction fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 10, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
You could probably use one of those high frequency scanners or an x-ray or something to find out whether it's crumbled or not.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

EthanSteele posted:

I'm pretty sure Black Zarak had the special head that was more proportional compared to Scorponok who had that huge body with a regular headmaster size head with a silly hat on top.

Yeah, it was nice that he didn't look retarded if you lost the Headmaster. I bought one loose and he's pretty neat-o.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You people and your cute 'bought one'. I still have my Scorponok from when I was 8. :smug:

I wish I knew where his many, many parts are. :saddowns:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I'm hoping for an Encore Scorponok. Thanks to Encore Fort Max, Scorponok is now one of only three Headmasters I'm missing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I never even realized they had different heads. It looks like Black Zarak's Headmaster head is just completely covered up by a bigger PVC head, while Scorponok's is at least poking through a helmet hole.

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/06/masterforce-d-311-black-zarak-mib-part_28.html

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

You people and your cute 'bought one'. I still have my Scorponok from when I was 8. :smug:

I wish I knew where his many, many parts are. :saddowns:

Well to be fair when I was 8 Scorponok was still three years away from being made, although I did get him on layaway with a buddy when he came out.

I had no idea Black Zarak existed until around 1998 or so when I started collecting TFs again. I think I paid about 120 bucks for mine, which is in great shape but has pretty much no accessories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Every so often a tiny orange part will surface from the house (usually from a box in the loft/garage) and I'll realise what it is about 2 days after I shrug and put it back/throw it away. :sigh:

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Clears that up for me then. Not that I don't spend enough money on 80's robots from my childhood but that's insane.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's beena long-held dream of mine to obtain an AFA-graded Beast Wars Neo Randy, then shake the poo poo out of it until he crumbles into gold fragments. It would be the centerpiece of my MISB collection-- an homage to GPS and the stupidity of AFA grading at the same time.

If you ever do this, you must somehow upload a video and keep the comments open. It'll be a gold mine. (Now that I remember there's already a video of someone crushing Randy, only it wasn't AFA graded)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Keldroc posted:

I'm hoping for an Encore Scorponok. Thanks to Encore Fort Max, Scorponok is now one of only three Headmasters I'm missing.

I hope that CHUG Metroplex sells well so that CHUG Scorponok becomes a possibility.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If we're doing MTMTE characters as new molds, I sure wouldn't mind a Voyager-sized Fort Max.

I'm not getting a Metroplex unless I find one on clearance. Just don't have the space, unless I also buy a baby seat and keep him in my car.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Silhouette posted:

I hope that CHUG Metroplex sells well so that CHUG Scorponok becomes a possibility.

I'm hoping for both a CHUG and an encore, with any luck.

Also I'd kind of like an Encore Monstructor, or some kind of update of that mold maybe, considering he was another pretty terrible GPS sufferer and he's been featured a lot in the comics lately.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Silhouette posted:

I'd be into that, but preferably after CHUG Trypticon.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Trypticon was one of the first holes I filled in my collection once I got purchasing power. Even though he totally sucks in the cartoon he's a really big dinosaur! I'd love a CHUG Trypticon and Scorponok. Also a Beast Wars Scorponok update.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

If you ever do this, you must somehow upload a video and keep the comments open. It'll be a gold mine. (Now that I remember there's already a video of someone crushing Randy, only it wasn't AFA graded)

I remember one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on TFW was a video review of G1 Bludgeon where the dude unceremoniously rips it off the card in the first thirty seconds. I mean like you probably put more trepedation, thought, and care into blowing your nose. The rest of the thread was just pages of "OMFG how dare you it belongs in a MUSEUM" outrage.

Keldroc posted:

I'd be into that, but preferably after CHUG Trypticon.

And we're right back to common ground. Especially since there's already a CHUG Omega Supreme (and a reportedly good 3rd Party Omega Supreme). Right now I've got Knight Morpher Cyclops holding CHUG Omega at bay and that poo poo aint right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The CHUG Sky Lynx shaped hole in my life will not stand for much longer.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The CHUG Sky Lynx shaped hole in my life will not stand for much longer.

Agreed. They chose the worst drat Beast Hunters mold to homage him too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

I remember one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on TFW was a video review of G1 Bludgeon where the dude unceremoniously rips it off the card in the first thirty seconds. I mean like you probably put more trepedation, thought, and care into blowing your nose. The rest of the thread was just pages of "OMFG how dare you it belongs in a MUSEUM" outrage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiSjn7Y6l7E

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If they did a Trypticon, I'd hope it was a pretty radical redesign. As an original 1986 owner, I can testify that it's a pretty poo poo toy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh, Peaugh. :allears:

LightsGameraAction posted:

I like Skystalker but I suspect it might be because I got one with non-loose leg joints. If it had loose hind legs it'd be a nightmare. As simple as his transformation is, the robot mode is decent enough for me (he looks somewhat ninja-esque) and the dragon mode is badass. I just took the drat discs away since they're pretty much useless anyway, and he looks much better unarmed.

Ripclaw is still the best however. I'd get Skylinx if it wasn't a Target exclusive.

vvv It also doesn't help that mold that though he's super easy to transform, he is somehow mistransformed in every drat picture on the net vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's a Sky Lynx homage? Excuse me I have to go check the BH lineup.

Edit: oh man, that's hideous.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

If they did a Trypticon, I'd hope it was a pretty radical redesign. As an original 1986 owner, I can testify that it's a pretty poo poo toy.

As another original 1986 owner, you can shut the hell up. :colbert:

But yes, a 2-foot CHUG version would need to be pretty heavily reworked. Maybe even as an anatomically correct T-Rex with horizontal tail? With defense towers as multicolored feathers? As long as the color scheme is the same I'd love to see them just go nuts with it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I wouldn't mind them going more Fall of Cybertron with it, really. 2 foot tall T-Rex that turns into the Nemesis? Sure, take my money.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah, Nemesis would be the obvious alt-mode. Especially since Metroplex's city/battle station modes turned out mediocre at best. Nemesis as the main alt-mode plus a half-assed "battle station" and a kickass T-Rex mode? I'm in.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

I would love to see this happen!

How much does it cost to get something like that AFA graded?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I used to know during my brief love affair with AFA graded items (before they made the cases available separate from the ridiculous arbitrary grading process). It's not too horrible. Unless you factor in the realization that they are selling you absolutely nothing (besides a bitchin case).

To reiterate: you can order custom-made cases from them for $20-$30, and they rule. My X-9 Ravage lives in one. The custom cases open and close, so I can pull him out, fiddle with him, then back in his box, and back into the case. It's a great display piece.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Lepecard posted:

I would love to see this happen!

You're in luck!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I had a Pyro, one of the only G1 era toys I owned other than some Micromasters cars. Had I known that GPS was a thing, I'd have bought a Headmaster instead.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the TRU Masterpieces have been scrubbed from the site entirely. Before they still showed up in the drop-down search results but led to a "no results" page. Now they don't even show up in the drop-down menu.

Also, I keep hearing people referring to SDCC exclusives when talking about how they got mistakenly put up on eBay. Do TRU actually sell them there, or were there exclusives put up on there at the same time?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

No Your Other Left posted:

Looks like the TRU Masterpieces have been scrubbed from the site entirely. Before they still showed up in the drop-down search results but led to a "no results" page. Now they don't even show up in the drop-down menu.

Also, I keep hearing people referring to SDCC exclusives when talking about how they got mistakenly put up on eBay. Do TRU actually sell them there, or were there exclusives put up on there at the same time?

TRU in the past has sold their SDCC exclusives online after SDCC. So it looks like their plan this year is to release everything at the same time, both at SDCC and online.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

TRU in the past has sold their SDCC exclusives online after SDCC. So it looks like their plan this year is to release everything at the same time, both at SDCC and online.

This is normal, products will also disappear and reappear on the website frequently, it won't mean anything.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I had a Pyro, one of the only G1 era toys I owned other than some Micromasters cars. Had I known that GPS was a thing, I'd have bought a Headmaster instead.

I have G1 Bristleback (the green and gold griffin guy from Monstructor) that I've owned since a child and ironically as much as I've heard about GPS being a huge deal with the figure, the only part that broke on him so far is one of his wings which snapped clean off and was molded in green plastic.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
How I long for the day when the word "exclusives" is excised from transformers.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009

Bristleback!!! GPS!?!?

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Hopes and dreams crushed*

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yesterday marks the second time I've seen a parent eyeing one of those huge rubbery looking TFP Optimus and Bumblebee "statues". It's like I'm taking crazy pills!

I mean I always like when TF toys sell here, it gives me hope that they won't stop selling Transformers in local stores.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I was kinda hoping he'd just thump his fist down on top of it and the legs would splay out like one of those Volkswagens. Randy? *thump* Stanced Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23058556&skuid=16503857

Kind of expensive for Sandstorm, but there you go. TRU ships internationally.