Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Guess who had nightmares about Marimo-chan?

This game is tearing me apart. :suicide:

Eat an apple. It'll help the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
And now Mikoto is rapidly forgetting I exist, I guess.

Damnit Takeru why couldn't you just stay in the other world where you belonged :mad: You hosed this all up!

I don't like where this is going.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Guess who had nightmares about Marimo-chan?

This game is tearing me apart. :suicide:

We've all been there (to varying degrees of mental trauma anyways). Just keep going. There's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shark Tower posted:

We've all been there (to varying degrees of mental trauma anyways). Just keep going. There's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

It's a Laser BETA. :smith:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A laser beta will never shoot inside a tunnel though :confused:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Krinkle posted:

A laser beta will never shoot inside a tunnel though :confused:

poo poo. Well clearly I'd never pass TSF training. :negative:

Didn't they shoot when they were in the base's tunnels and Takeru and the other Valkyries were flying around?

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Welp Sumika just got totaled by a basketball hoop

Takeru ruins everything, full stop.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

They'll shoot out of a tunnel but if you're looking at the light at the end of the tunnel you're already in the tunnel and they would never shoot into a tunnel :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Welp Sumika just got totaled by a basketball hoop

Takeru ruins everything, full stop.

Pretty freaky accident, isn't it? :v:

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
What I played: Muv-Luv Alternative.

What I expected: Animes and giant robots.

What I got: Man with PTSD who ruins everything gets to endure his own personal Groundhog Day.

You guys weren't kidding about this being the real MLA. :stare: I'm in the car with Yuuko-sensei now, and I keep expecting her to crash horribly or something. Maybe a BETA will start chasing her on the road like a dog.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

What I played: Muv-Luv Alternative.

What I expected: Animes and giant robots.

What I got: Man with PTSD who ruins everything gets to endure his own personal Groundhog Day.

You guys weren't kidding about this being the real MLA. :stare: I'm in the car with Yuuko-sensei now, and I keep expecting her to crash horribly or something. Maybe a BETA will start chasing her on the road like a dog.

Hang in there man. :smith:

I finally finished Rin's route in KS. That was certainly something. I kinda wish they delved more into Rin's past and explained how she got disabled but at the same time it makes sense that they didn't. Her crying really got to me. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Barent posted:

Hang in there man. :smith:

I finally finished Rin's route in KS. That was certainly something. I kinda wish they delved more into Rin's past and explained how she got disabled but at the same time it makes sense that they didn't. Her crying really got to me. :(

Yeah, her route is very different, but I definitely enjoyed it. I didn't expect such a quirky personality to have such a good route.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
God, Yuuko is brutal. I got to see the 00 Unit. Well, that explains why Sumika got hit by a basketball hoop in the old world, I guess, but Jesus, her freaking out and talking about how she's going to kill all the BETA... :smith:

And Yuuko planning the attack during the training exercise? I had a hunch, but wow. I wonder if it bothers her in the least that Marimo died pretty much because of her. The old Yuuko sure was bothered, but the MLA Yuuko might just be that far gone.

I'm going to guess that Sumika and Takeru were friends in this world too, grew up and became Eishi together, and Takeru got killed by the BETA while Sumika got taken to the hive for experimenting. Which is why Takeru was dragged to this world - because he was more important to Sumika than anything. Which means... he's probably going to have to kill Sumika, despite that, because she caused the causality leak or whatever.

I am so glad to finally know what that brain is for.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So is Majikoi as a whole dead? All three projects seem to have stalled out...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know what you're talking about, it hasn't even been six months since Yandere updated! Just 5 months and 3 weeks.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Shark Tower posted:

Welcome to the club. Now you can be like the rest of us and gleefully anticipate the next poor sap to post about his or her muvluv adventures.

Come to think of it, is klapman still uploading his playthrough vids?

Nah man, MLA got too real for that. It was really great while it was going on but when I went back to look through the videos, there wasn't a :stare: big enough. Around the time where I realized that since Takeru came from the world with the BETA, logic would lead that the BETA would find the Extra world he ran away to and began to mutter about how everyone was going to die, I just kinda turned off the video. I've still got the files on my computer but between not knowing how to edit censors onto the naked anime girls and not wanting any chance of people I know in real life finding my insane ramblings, I think i'm gonna at least shelve it for now.

By the way Irukandji, here's a video you might be able to appreciate. :allears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8CwtcM2ylw

I heard about automatic embedding or something being part of an extension for Chrome, so I hid the link behind a spoiler bar. Enjoy!

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Klapman, that video is amazing. I skipped around to where Marimo got her head chewed off and I loved your "What the gently caress".

Also, is it just me or are some of the BETA kind of... cute? Like, if they weren't 5 stories tall. Kind of like a Pokemon.

Hopefully my sloppy artistic representation will show you what I mean.

:3:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
drat it guys :( Seeing :stare: and :gonk: when speaking of a series makes me want it even more. My backlog weeps. I'll have to track down a copy of MLA now to see what the horror is.

Also, Steins;Gate on steam potentially? :flashfap:

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

klapman posted:

Nah man, MLA got too real for that. It was really great while it was going on but when I went back to look through the videos, there wasn't a :stare: big enough. Around the time where I realized that since Takeru came from the world with the BETA, logic would lead that the BETA would find the Extra world he ran away to and began to mutter about how everyone was going to die, I just kinda turned off the video. I've still got the files on my computer but between not knowing how to edit censors onto the naked anime girls and not wanting any chance of people I know in real life finding my insane ramblings, I think i'm gonna at least shelve it for now.

That's too bad. I can see what you mean though. Like I said, we've all been there. Heck, that's why that particular vid's so interesting in the first place.

Irritated Goat posted:

drat it guys :( Seeing :stare: and :gonk: when speaking of a series makes me want it even more. My backlog weeps. I'll have to track down a copy of MLA now to see what the horror is.

Do it, and report in to the thread. You know the drill. :devil:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Irritated Goat posted:

It's a sequel that will have no impact without playing Muv-Luv Extra first for your information.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

are some of the BETA kind of... cute? Like, if they weren't 5 stories tall. Kind of like a Pokemon.

:3: http://i.imgur.com/vBn53gf.jpg from one of the side stories.

Also that is really great.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Klapman, that video is amazing. I skipped around to where Marimo got her head chewed off and I loved your "What the gently caress".

Also, is it just me or are some of the BETA kind of... cute? Like, if they weren't 5 stories tall. Kind of like a Pokemon.

Hopefully my sloppy artistic representation will show you what I mean.

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. You're totally right, I didn't even think about it. Aww, whosa cute lil' Destroyer that's coated in the blood of thousands? You are, you precocious little scamp! :3:

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

.Clash posted:

:3: http://i.imgur.com/vBn53gf.jpg from one of the side stories.

Also that is really great.

Oh my god :3:

klapman posted:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. You're totally right, I didn't even think about it. Aww, whosa cute lil' Destroyer that's coated in the blood of thousands? You are, you precocious little scamp! :3:
"Go fetch, boy! ... Hey, that's a severed head, not a stick! Aww, I just can't stay mad at you. Time for walkies!"

The true future of humanity: cramming BETA into pokeballs and training them as household pets.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Irritated Goat posted:

If Agarest War can get through Greenlight, then this can to.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Why is it going through green light?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

DamnGlitch posted:

Why is it going through green light?
I guess it's because no other big publisher in the west are willing to publish a VN?

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I haven't been on this thread in quite some time, so just a bunch of various things:

USGamer has a reporter that's pretty into the VN scene. There's been a lot of new articles in general about visual novels, but there was also this intro to visual novels. I'm not sure that someone into Walking Dead would go the route of reading any of those titles, but it's interesting to see this stuff on a more "mainstream" video game website.

We've also got some announcements about localizations: DanganRonpa is being brought over by NISA, and Aksys is bringing over the latest Hakuoki, as well as another otome game called Sweet Fuse: At Your Side.

Personally, I've been playing through a bit of Hatoful Boyfriend. Hilariously enough, some of my friends that are not into anything anime-related really got into this game. We played the Nageki route up on the big screen TV, and there was much yelling and shouting and fun to be had. I haven't finished all the routes yet, but I'm eager to learn more about the backstory of the world that this game takes place in. Because man, there's something sinister afoot. The first time that the main character goes for that jog, and you jog past all those burned-out high-rises... yeah.. Hatoful Boyfriend is way better than it has any right to be.

Finally, I've been inching my way through Higurashi, and am somewhere near the beginning of Minagoroshi-hen. I had no idea going into the game that Rika was stuck replaying everything over and over again, the same way we are. I just got to the part that they're hinting that she might have a disease (L5?) and might be experiencing some delusions. How this game seriously jerks you around! I was afraid after playing through Meakashi-hen that the Kai chapters were just going to be rehashes of the original four, but I'm really, really excited to see that they aren't. Can't wait to see what's going to come next.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

futurememory posted:

We've also got some announcements about localizations: DanganRonpa is being brought over by NISA, and Aksys is bringing over the latest Hakuoki, as well as another otome game called Sweet Fuse: At Your Side.

That's pretty cool news, might be interesting to play it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

futurememory posted:

USGamer has a reporter that's pretty into the VN scene. There's been a lot of new articles in general about visual novels, but there was also this intro to visual novels. I'm not sure that someone into Walking Dead would go the route of reading any of those titles, but it's interesting to see this stuff on a more "mainstream" video game website.

School Days and Kana? Is this guy serious those are horrible recs. The rest of them are ok I guess?

Pfffffft I just noticed the panty shot in the Corpse Party image.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 10, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah.... those are not the recommendations I would make, even with the 'available in english' restriction.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is there a translation of Takeru's speech at the end of Unlimited? I don't think there was anything plot important, but I'd like to know anyways.

e: Also, can I just go straight from Unlimited to Alternative, or do I have any reason to get multiple endings? I got Meiya normal according to the ending list.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 12, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Readme in the Muv-Luv directory (after you apply the translation patch) has a translation for the speech. Alternative has a few like that too, though the game usually has a pop up to inform you to read the .txt files. Though there is some dialogue at the very very end that's also untranslated and you'll have to google (I think it can be found on TV tropes of all places).

You can jump straight into Alternative after one route of Unlimited, as Unlimited's routes are 99% identical.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone posted it a few pages back, look for a post that's almost all spoilered and formatted like a poem. And no, once you've seen one ending to Unlimited you've basically seen them all. Every girl has more or less the same scene with dialogue rewritten to fit her.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The Readme in the Muv-Luv directory (after you apply the translation patch) has a translation for the speech.

You can jump straight into Alternative after one route of Unlimited, as Unlimited's routes are 99% identical.

:doh: Yeah, that would be where they'd put it. Thanks.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Is there a translation of Takeru's speech at the end of Unlimited? I don't think there was anything plot important, but I'd like to know anyways.

e: Also, can I just go straight from Unlimited to Alternative, or do I have any reason to get multiple endings? I got Meiya normal according to the ending list.

Check the readme.

Unlimited is linear, you might want to reload at the very last choice to get the "true" ending for your girl. But don't bother getting any of the other girls, because the only difference is the sex scene and palette swaps in the ending.

You might want to get the Yuuko ending, which has poorly done foreshadowing that tells you nothing, just so you can experience how the Japanese players felt waiting 4 years for the conclusion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He should make sure he got both the ends though, even if it's just for one chracter. Those are different, even if all but one of the character ends are the same.

Cake Attack posted:

It wasn't on screen? Hum. I remember seeing it there.

It was posted a little way back:

Barent posted:

For more sadness here's Takeru's translated speech at the end of Unlimited:

I had a dream.
A dream of people living innocently, without knowing the meaning of peace.
I had a dream.
A dream of people risking their lives and living for the sake of protecting something.
I think...only God knows which it was.
But I still ask myself...was there something I could've done?
I wonder, was that why I came to this world in the first place?
If this was my unavoidable destiny,
then what exactly was I to this world?
Sad partings...the fate of humanity...and my own...
I still wonder if I could've changed them.
If I'd had a strong will to protect what I was meant to protect...from the start...
Then maybe there was something only I could've done.
I think there was.
So...so...
At the very least...I'll live on...and try to protect everything.
I want to survive and protect this planet everyone gave up on.
I think I can do that.
The people left behind...the feelings left behind...the people I love...
I'll protect them all with my life.
I should be able to do something.
There must be something.
Humanity won't lose.
I'll never lose.
Because...I'm here...
Because...I'm...still here...

You don't really need to get the other endings. this is a route spoiler, not a story spoiler: it's incredibly easy to get them though. Only the choice right at the end about the gifts is what matters, and that's where it splits, IIRC. They are all pretty much the same; a sex scene with that girl, that girl at the end.

Now that you have one end, you SHOULD get the second run Yuuko ending though. It's sort of a joke end, but it has a LOT background details that come into play a bit in ALT. If you never got the Marimo 'bad end' in EXTRA you should consider getting that, just for a lark. It's the best end in EXTRA IMO.
You should get both the STAY and LEAVE ends though. It's the last choice I believe. It should take you just a half hour at most.

EDIT: jesus christ you guys :argh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Davzz posted:

Check the readme.

Unlimited is linear, you might want to reload at the very last choice to get the "true" ending for your girl.

Oh, thanks for heads up here. I figured the true ending would be an affection point thing or something, but if it's that easy I'll do it now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Oh, thanks for heads up here. I figured the true ending would be an affection point thing or something, but if it's that easy I'll do it now.

Unlimited is very straightforward in that way. Alt is the same.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't think there's any affection points whatsoever in Ult aside from the Chizuru/Ayamine split thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yes aside of whichever one of the those two you don't side with, you just pick from a list at a certain point.

• Locked thread