Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Amazon is selling TW titles much cheaper than Steam is. Just thought I'd give you all a heads up! Shogun 2 Gold Edition for 24 pounds, and Rome 2 for 29.99 pounds, which is 15 dollars cheaper than what Steam is selling it for. Worth the steep difference in price, in my opinion, to order from Amazon. I'm going to order Shogun 2 Gold Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Loopoo posted:

Thought as much. So the way forward is to scrap this PSU and get a more powerful one? Can't even remember what PSU I got.

Would be beautiful to be able to play N:TW without the fear of power surging.

When you notice a problem with power or heat, you usually want to address it pretty quickly because that poo poo can have some awful consequences if you get unlucky. I don't really know the deals anymore but I'm sure you can find something useful quickly in SH/SC. I picked up a solid one last year for ~$70.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mazz posted:

When you notice a problem with power or heat, you usually want to address it pretty quickly because that poo poo can have some awful consequences if you get unlucky. I don't really know the deals anymore but I'm sure you can find something useful quickly in SH/SC. I picked up a solid one last year for ~$70.

Cheers man, yeah I'll get right on it. Will probably purchase a new PSU tomorrow, along with a new tower (gently caress small towers, they're a pain in the rear end when it comes to installing stuff).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been trying to play E:TW but it won't load for some reason. I made sure all files relating to E:TW were gone (including previous saves and settings under 'My Documents') and did a completely clean install from Steam.
Whenever I try to laucn the game, Steam does its "launching" thing, the splash creen comes up, then nothing. I don't even get the black screen before the game loads.
I completely uninstalled everything again and reinstalled using the discs. After letting steam run all the updates, I still end up with the same result.
Running as an admin and/or in compatibility mode does nothing. I'm at a complete loss as to how to launch this game.

You are missing cleaning out some txt file that I forget the name of.

It's the file where you specify mod load order, and it is not under my games. Look for any total war poo poo in:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ The Creative Assembly\...

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 8, 2013

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I am currently playing a Germania campaign because I love being the barbarian hordes that kick the poo poo out of Rome. Ive got the Julii stuck with 4 provinces in Spain, I havent taken anything from the Scipii yet (although I am eyeing Capua), and I just managed to push the Brutii out of Italy and am slowly annexing Greece. My main general is :black101: as gently caress. I will hop on in a bit so I can get the screen for my main general.

Gunderic beats the poo poo out of an army pretty much by himself:

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Haha, I love cavalry in Rome: TW. I usually just keep my infantry in reserve and send my equites around harassing, flanking and charging, picking off the straggling regiments one by one. :v:

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
That screenshot made me jealous. I've been playing Roma Surrectum II as Belgae and my generals are in chariots and they loving suck. They're lucky if they can take out half a unit of light infantry without getting decimated.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Was I the only one who found Waterloo in N:TW to be disappointing? The campaign was so great, and it was a pretty uninteresting end to it.
Napoleon got sneak attacked and taken out before I even knew he was being attacked. Ended up OK, because the Duke of Wellington got beaned by a lucky cannonball from across the map moments later.

Just wailed on the English for 10 minutes with a half stack and ta daa, roll cinematic. Sort of anticlimactic, and not particularly challenging.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Loopoo posted:

Amazon is selling TW titles much cheaper than Steam is. Just thought I'd give you all a heads up! Shogun 2 Gold Edition for 24 pounds, and Rome 2 for 29.99 pounds, which is 15 dollars cheaper than what Steam is selling it for. Worth the steep difference in price, in my opinion, to order from Amazon. I'm going to order Shogun 2 Gold Edition.

Aww yea just got fall of the samurai for 10bux.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

canyoneer posted:

Was I the only one who found Waterloo in N:TW to be disappointing? The campaign was so great, and it was a pretty uninteresting end to it.
Napoleon got sneak attacked and taken out before I even knew he was being attacked. Ended up OK, because the Duke of Wellington got beaned by a lucky cannonball from across the map moments later.

Just wailed on the English for 10 minutes with a half stack and ta daa, roll cinematic. Sort of anticlimactic, and not particularly challenging.

The British/Dutch side of the battle is pretty entertaining, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Waterloo bit should have had it's own miniature campaign.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Waterloo bit should have had it's own miniature campaign.

Yep. Even if it was some sort of "endurance mode" with the three other battles of the three previous days leading up to it.

4 consecutive battles with the same army and a little bit of reinforcement in between (as the actual campaign was) would probably be really fun to play.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Captain Beans posted:

You are missing cleaning out some txt file that I forget the name of.

It's the file where you specify mod load order, and it is not under my games. Look for any total war poo poo in:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ The Creative Assembly\...

Finally got a chance. Tried and didn't work :saddowns:
I hit Play, I get the 'computer working' cursor, then nothing.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Another campaign photo dump. These are all post-marian Romans. Not that it stops the AI from making poo poo armies all the time.

1. My :black101: as gently caress general. Too bad hes getting old.

2. Turned FoW off to get a pic of the world map.

3. Gunderic again (I think the same guy) beating the poo poo out of besieging Romans.

4. Didnt end up being as massive a defeat as the first one was, but Gunderic still cleaned house.

5. Lifting a siege of my Capitol. loving Brutii started conquering Dacia just so they could avoid getting their poo poo kicked in by Verritus.

6. Not as boss as Verritus or Daddy Gunderic, but still doing pretty good.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Seems like that second stack of yours did nothing, though. Did they at least tie up some of the enemy reinforcements?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe he got a "Reinforcements...?" thing. Sometimes in M2TW the game doesn't send me or the enemy guys the reinforcements because it's apparently too much for my computer to handle or something.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I think its something to do with the fact that I am playing on a lovely laptop. Neither my reinforcements nor enemy reinforcements showed up to the battle. Unfortunately I have to refight that battle because Rome crashed after the results screen.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg42DC4EpMY

Battle of the Nile - Roman perspective

Also this is the guy they are talking about at the end of the video

https://twitter.com/hiro_tachiki/status/348380895092281346]

Khagan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 10, 2013

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, is there any truth to this or what? I can't see the Philippine-American Wars being broad enough for a Total War game myself.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It depends. Don't forget that war was the after match of a slightly bigger scale conflict in which the United States pretty much stripped Spain of its oversea colonies.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There is no way there will be a Total War title based on the Philippine-American War. It is a complete absurdity. I'm toxxing myself right now that it will never happen as a full, standalone title on the PC at regular market price.

The most I could possibly imagine is some weird DLC if they make a game in the same time period and go crazy with alternate campaign DLCs. Or maybe some a mobile games spinoff like what they did with Shogun. Even that is extremely unlikely.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 10, 2013

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I can't wait for the total war game focusing on the Emu war.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

It depends. Don't forget that war was the after match of a slightly bigger scale conflict in which the United States pretty much stripped Spain of its oversea colonies.

A game running from the early 19th century (picking up where N:TW left off more or less) and going up through the end of WW1 would make sense, would include the US Civil War, Franco-Prussian War, several Latin American wars, etc. I could see the Philippines War being added to that as a DLC the way that the Peninsular Campaign was for Napoleon.

Victoria: Total War

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Earwicker posted:

A game running from the early 19th century (picking up where N:TW left off more or less) and going up through the end of WW1 would make sense, would include the US Civil War, Franco-Prussian War, several Latin American wars, etc. I could see the Philippines War being added to that as a DLC the way that the Peninsular Campaign was for Napoleon.

Victoria: Total War

But by the end you'd have biplanes and armoured cars. The technological level in FotS just barely squeaked by, and that's because completely modern mid-19th century gear was kept to a minimum.

I dunno - I think the American Civil War may be the limit here.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ChaosSamusX posted:

But by the end you'd have biplanes and armoured cars. The technological level in FotS just barely squeaked by, and that's because completely modern mid-19th century gear was kept to a minimum.

Total War is all about big, cinematic, decisive battles and the ACW was literally the opposite of that. It would be a terrible game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

ChaosSamusX posted:

While I agree the idea would be hard to implement, I think its harder for us to imagine a TW game of that style then it would be for them to implement. I mean armored cars would really just be the elephants of their time if the game was designed for the era. They pulled off the change in dynamics pretty well with FOTS and E/N, for them to step even further and produce something good isn't that improbable.

WWI is probably the limit though, combat just gets way too different from that point on without completely redesigning the battle phases of the game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mazz posted:

While I agree the idea would be hard to implement, I think its harder for us to imagine a TW game of that style then it would be for them to implement. I mean armored cars would really just be the elephants of their time if the game was designed for the era. They pulled off the change in dynamics pretty well with FOTS and E/N, for them to step even further and produce something good isn't that improbable.

There's a WWI mod for N:TW that has armored cars and proto-tanks. I don't think it has planes though. I want to try it but I'm playing on a Mac so not sure if I can.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FOTS had some post US Civil Wsr tech, late 19th century can certainly be done.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Total War could stick to its fairly traditional format up until the end of infantry line formations towards the end of the 19th century. A Total War game set in the 20th century would be super sweet, but battle management would have to be changed up so drastically that half of the TWC community's heads would probably explode. Combat would probably have to be scaled in at battalion or brigade level, or do like Wargame: EE/ALB did by pulling out into a macro scale.

I do like the idea of having regiments earning traits and skills much like legions will in Rome 2 though.

As far as political and economic management goes, the slave economy system from Rome 2 could probably be adapted to worker unrest. The harder you gently caress your working classes in the rear end, and the longer your pointless bloodbath conflicts go on, the more likely a proletariat revolution might be likely. And who doesn't want to conquer the world as a Communist Ottoman Empire in 1907?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think that a Total War game that's geared for 20th century fights would really be a "Total War" game as we know it. Not that I'd mind these guys trying to make a game in the same general style, but there certainly wouldn't be any big piles of infantry duking it out in melee. For me, that's really what makes it a Total War game. That and taking history and shoving it into the garbage disposal and conquering Europe as Scotland or something.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plus I want to conquer the world with Teddy Roosevelt and the rough riders :black101:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
drat it, I'm never going to get my China focused Total War game :(

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, is there any truth to this or what? I can't see the Philippine-American Wars being broad enough for a Total War game myself.

There's no mention of it anymore so it was probably wikivandalism.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

It'd be a fun exercise in "hosed up massacres of the United States" but yeah I don't think that will ever be a Total War game.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't think that a Total War game that's geared for 20th century fights would really be a "Total War" game as we know it. Not that I'd mind these guys trying to make a game in the same general style, but there certainly wouldn't be any big piles of infantry duking it out in melee. For me, that's really what makes it a Total War game. That and taking history and shoving it into the garbage disposal and conquering Europe as Scotland or something.

Maybe it's time Creative Assembly moved onto a different type of wargame altogether. After all, the only thing that's really changed since Shogun is the move from a Risk Style map to something more Civ-lite (and that happened in the third Total War). They could start a 20th century/modern wargame from scratch, but still keep the turn-based strategy/real-time battles dynamic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Maybe it's time Creative Assembly moved onto a different type of wargame altogether. After all, the only thing that's really changed since Shogun is the move from a Risk Style map to something more Civ-lite (and that happened in the third Total War). They could start a 20th century/modern wargame from scratch, but still keep the turn-based strategy/real-time battles dynamic.

You are the kind of person who auto-resolves every battle and CA scratch their heads trying to work out why you are buying their tactical battle game, aren't you?

And the strategic game has changed immensely since Rome.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't think that a Total War game that's geared for 20th century fights would really be a "Total War" game as we know it.

Which is ironic, given the name of the series :v:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Earwicker posted:

There's a WWI mod for N:TW that has armored cars and proto-tanks. I don't think it has planes though. I want to try it but I'm playing on a Mac so not sure if I can.
Which perfectly encapsulates the feel of fighting in World War One more than any other ww1 game I know. Just like some poor bastard in a trench, you want it to end as quickly as possible and ever take part in it again.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Ragingsheep posted:

drat it, I'm never going to get my China focused Total War game :(

Yeah, China's military history was huge. Medieval and ancient China's wars make European conflicts look tiny in those ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

A more realistic expectation is that CA will never do this because the strongpoint of the series are the tactical battles. There's plenty of other eras for them to explore where the battle engine works.

The amount of people who want a 20th century Total War game is pretty bonkers to me. That WWI mod is pretty awful. It seems like a good way to exploit an AI that barely understands muskets, and little else. It could also be good to bore your friends to death.