Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Hahaha pocket sarlacc coming to the cartel packs. I can just imagine the pitch to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95pefd50uus

I actually picked up one of those out of the couple packs I opened today. It's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres a slow clap emote in the new packs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Why do people hate Quinn?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bonds0097 posted:

Because they have bad opinions?

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
Who hates Quinn? Let me talk to them.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
He's a million times more enjoyable than the Inquisitor healer, whose name escapes me at the moment.

"Are we dead ye.... oh weeeeeee wooooooon"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres a slow clap emote in the new packs.

Isn't that pretty much what /ironfist is already? :D

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But hes the only sane person on the crew!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ajax posted:

He's a million times more enjoyable than the Inquisitor healer, whose name escapes me at the moment.

"Are we dead ye.... oh weeeeeee wooooooon"

Talos Drellik. That is by far his worst line, and I used him a lot towards the end of the storyline so I got to hear it all the time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

But hes the only sane person on the crew!

Sanity is for the weak. :black101:

And Quinn can take his MOLE and go kick rocks. Stupid game should have let me kill him. I don't need a healer anyway.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

bonds0097 posted:

I'm in the "Quinn can go to hell" camp. I was okay with his mannerisms and VA and all (and I loved having a pocket healer), but I could see how someone would find him really annoying. And then not only does the little poo poo betray me to Darth Baras, he then turns around and tries to romance me right after. I shut him right down on that, and if they had kept the thing from beta where you could permanently kill companions, I would have chucked him out the airlock and learned to let Pierce tank for me. "I hope we can still be friends after this." :downs:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I would honestly end up murdering at least two companions from every character, were it an option.

Haha what am I saying, no I wouldn't, it'd probably stop me from getting their +10 presence and I need all the stats.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Devorum posted:

Talos Drellik. That is by far his worst line, and I used him a lot towards the end of the storyline so I got to hear it all the time.

I laugh literally every time I hear that line. It never gets old. "*gasp* We won." :allears:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
There's only one companion worth hating: Skadge. No, I don't want the implied rapist on my crew, what the gently caress

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Any That's No Goon officers on, Kinomer could use an invite

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

I would honestly end up murdering at least two companions from every character, were it an option.

Quinn, Skadge and SCORPIO would all have been shot out the airlock if that was available. Especially Skadge. Wouldn't even have made it to my ship.

I'd keep Lord Scourge though. It's fun to go: *LS option* / "Lost -1500 affection with Lord Scourge"

EDIT:

Gasoline posted:

There's only one companion worth hating: Skadge. No, I don't want the implied rapist on my crew, what the gently caress
:hfive:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'd probably launch Kaliyo, SCORPIO, Skadge, Quinn, Broonmark, Tanno Vik, Akaavi, and oh... every Consular companion.

I know it's the Goon thing to love the consular, but holy poo poo their companions all suck and I wish affection losses weren't nerfed to hell so I could get to -10000 with all of them.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

KittyEmpress posted:

Before I knew he was a companion I wanted to murder the poo poo out of Languss Tuno for being both a total dickwad lying to me, and also naming himself a horrible pun.

Now I actually use him and he's OK but god drat I was so pissed off for weeks.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Sergeant Rusk can go too, or he probably would and nobody would notice because of how boring he is.

Blizz is cool though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

KittyEmpress posted:

I'd probably launch Kaliyo, SCORPIO, Skadge, Quinn, Broonmark, Tanno Vik, Akaavi, and oh... every Consular companion.

I know it's the Goon thing to love the consular, but holy poo poo their companions all suck and I wish affection losses weren't nerfed to hell so I could get to -10000 with all of them.

Tharan is great if you don't help him with his symposium thing. He learns a lesson.

Nadia isn't too bad if you aren't a Male.

Zenith is kinda there. I kinda want to see what happens if you just encourage him to be an rear end when running for office.

I see how you could find them bland and inoffensive. But to actively hate them is weird.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gasoline posted:

No, I don't want the implied rapist on my crew, what the gently caress

Stop talking bad about Forex. :argh:

Dexo posted:

Tharan is great if you don't help him with his symposium thing. He learns a lesson.

Nadia isn't too bad if you aren't a Male.

Zenith is kinda there. I kinda want to see what happens if you just encourage him to be an rear end when running for office.

I see how you could find them bland and inoffensive. But to actively hate them is weird.

Seconding the Tharan bit, if you use your Jedi status to pull strings for him he stays a douche, but if you make him do the work himself he becomes a not-douchey character.

Zenith is probably the character with the most tenuous reason to be on your ship, even if it does make sense. I get the feeling he was mostly put in so that DS dick Consulars would have someone to buddy-buddy with.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dexo posted:

Nadia is fine as I played a female consular, I forgot to include her as an exception. But all of the other ones just evoke no emotional reactions (except shame for Tharan) at all. At least Kaliyo made me laugh once or twice. They're just there, and I'd rather they not be there because they are all terrible.

If all I can feel about a companion's existence is 'nothing' then why would I want them around. Their stories are not interesting, their conversations are not interesting, nothing about them is interesting. I'd rather have characters I actively hate exist (Broonmark, Akaavi, Skadge) because they at least let me be a dick to them and be entertained, but bland boring shameful ones just literally invoke nothing.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

KittyEmpress posted:

Haha what am I saying, no I wouldn't, it'd probably stop me from getting their +10 presence and I need all the stats.
Doc can kiss my character's big green rear end. That's exactly what my ball-busting dark side female Jedi Knight needs, a PUA following her around. Very realistic. :jerkbag:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

How can you say all the Consular companions are crap when Qyzen exists? Qyzen is awesome. Space Bros 4 lyfe. :c00l:

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
I don't know how you could hate SCORPIO. She's my favorite companion in the entire game.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Aw I really like Felix Iresso. He's a chill guy who's had some pretty bad luck. He's not the most exciting character but I liked having him around.

Tanno Vik (Trooper) would have never gotten to set foot on my ship if I'd have had a say.

Neither would Xalek (Inquisitor) No, you don't get to wait until someone else does all the hard work and then stab him in the back right in front of me and take his homework and hand it to me and THEN become my Padawan.

Zenith should have stayed on Balmorra. I have nothing against him, it's just a big wtf that he ever even came with you.

Same for Sgt. Rusk. No idea why he's on my ship.

I'm still not a fan of Qyzen. And even though Theran does get some decent development, I'm still meh about him and his hologirlfriend.

I started out hating Khem Val but as the Iniquisitor storyline progressed and I've gone through his dialog, I like Khem more and more.

Favorites would be Aric Jorgan, Elara Dorne, M1-4X, (Trooper), Iresso (Consular), Kira and Doc (Knight), Andronikos Revel, Talos and Ashara (Inquisitor). I've only gotten two of the Agent companions so far and they're both okay.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 10, 2013

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Skadge is no different than all the hired muscle losers you regularly waste on missions. Taking him on as a companion (esp as a Light V BH) makes no sense. Mako really should have shut that one down.

Plus he looks like a big pile of mucous. Space thug loogie. Get in the airlock.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Agraya posted:

I don't know how you could hate SCORPIO. She's my favorite companion in the entire game.

Agreed. She's the only droid companion with a chrome finish! And that voice :allears:
I can see how her personality could clash with people, but I like it. Homicidal droids are the best droids.

I just wish she could use the Cathar Warstaff. Or hell, double-bladed lightsabers.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Annakie posted:

Neither would Xalek (Inquisitor) No, you don't get to wait until someone else does all the hard work and then stab him in the back right in front of me and take his homework and hand it to me and THEN become my Padawan.

Really? Because that's an extremely Sith thing to do.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Nipponophile posted:

It's an extremely Sith thing to do but I was playing my Inquisitor as a power-hungry, artifact-loving archaeologist. I don't want an apprentice that can't bring me artifacts off his own back :colbert:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Annakie posted:

I'm still not a fan of Qyzen. And even though Theran does get some decent development, I'm still meh about him and his hologirlfriend.

Favorites would be Aric Jorgan, Elara Dorne, M1-4X, (Trooper), Iresso (Consular), Kira and Doc (Knight), Andronikos Revel, Talos and Ashara (Inquisitor). I've only gotten two of the Agent companions so far and they're both okay.

Qyzen would be without a doubt my favorite companion so far.

He starts off pretty simple. MY POINTS, and "Why would you do that?!" to the Consulars first couple actions on Tython, so I can see why people dislike him. But his first little arc is proving he's not an rear end in a top hat, it's just his code. He just wants you to teach people to be strong on their own, rather then go do everything for them. And there's something satisfying about a character in a game telling me that when I give my holo to random civvies and tell them I'll come at any call, that I'm a horrible person because THAT'S A LIE. The only time he breaks this is for Nalen, but that's because he is personally angry at the guy for stealing his points.

So then you get to learn about the shikyo-yagu, the ancient rite of passage for Trandoshens. The coolest thing about this to me was not only learning more about the culture of a race that no other bit of Star Wars talks about, but realizing that the entire LS Consular Act 1 is a shikyo-yagu for the PC. You take the vile toxins inside yourself, and make yourself weaker, then fight off a great threat at your weakest, proving you are worthy of your "clan". It really helped connect me and Qyzen as space bros, especially since we'd basically duoed Act 1 as healer/tank with no thought of Tharan.

So finally you get to his act 3 arc, the traitor. And during this, you get to finally point out that's he's old as gently caress now, and it's time for him to train new Trandos. That the decline of his race is because he's so busy hunting, all the greasy politician type Trandos are the ones training young hunters. And you make him realize that hey, maybe it's time to settle down after he's done serving the Herald.

He just had a solid arc to me, from beginning to end.

I also just loved the little things about his arc, talking about taking on a being of pure sith energy and beating it while missing an arm, then lamenting the lost points because it fell into the swamps. Or his Rancor fight story, where he went to hunt a young one to prove himself to a mate, got caught unarmed pissing by an elder rancor and killed it with it's own tooth. Or even stuff like the Trando pal you meet, and his "AHA, I TRICKED THEM BY BRINGING YOU INTO THEIR TRAP! I NEVER MENTIONED THE JEDI :D". Or him giving my Consular top class Wookie Pelt from a hard kill to use to seal the deal with Iresso, because that's how things work in Trando culture.

The only stickler point I could imagine is the wookie killing, but he's a loving Trando, and your job is supposed to be understanding of other cultures, not shunning. And it's not like he went and hunted the women and children, he only kills them in the Shadowlands, where they would be hunting him back, because he's full of old manness.

He's just this really old cantankerous racist old man who exists entirely to point out how stupid traditional RPG tropes are, and make sure you stay on the honorable path. And I love him for it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Agraya posted:

It's not that I particularly hate her, her conversations were amusing, but I have a thing about recruiting people who literally just tried to murder me, and then promised to murder me once I recruited her, then had her first conversation talk about how she wants to murder me, and her second be about how she's adapting to where she will murder me soon, her third about how she needs technology and you will provide it (or she will murder you), etc.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

It's not that I particularly hate her, her conversations were amusing, but I have a thing about recruiting people who literally just tried to murder me, and then promised to murder me once I recruited her, then had her first conversation talk about how she wants to murder me, and her second be about how she's adapting to where she will murder me soon, her third about how she needs technology and you will provide it (or she will murder you), etc.

After the torture scene on Corellia her line is something like "Three more hours and you would have succumbed. Now I know." Delightfully creepy.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

That's the appeal for me, personally. A killbot wife is pretty awesome.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I don't get why people like Aric Jorgan. I can't loving stand him.

If it was up to me it'd just be me, Yuun and 4X.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Would be nice if you could eventually do a Legacy 2nd active companion unlock. Just a thought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should have a legacy ability like that Stampede move Hunters in WoW have, where for 30 seconds all of your companions come out and attack a guy.

Preferably in a cartoon cloud with random limbs popping out.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Also, look up Dark Initiate's Robe. It's 150 on the cartel market and it's essentially a color-customizable version of the Saber Marshall Robe. :iamafag:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Nipponophile posted:

I'm a light-side Sith, working to restore sanity to the order. You gotta work to earn your power and respect with me. :colbert:

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I don't get why people like Aric Jorgan. I can't loving stand him.

If it was up to me it'd just be me, Yuun and 4X.

<--- See this guy in my avatar? That's Aric Jorgan's VA, who I've loved on Psych (where the picture/quote is from) for many years longer than SWTOR has been out. Plus I'm a sucker for hard-nosed by the book characters. :)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So since this Sage is the first character I've gotten to the level cap, gearing question: How quickly can you move on to Basic+ stuff? Should I get myself a full set of Makeb mods first, or would it be more efficient to spend those comms on mods for my companions in the expectation that I'd move on to better ones pretty quickly?

e: Also I tried respecing to Sage DPS but ugh, it just doesn't click for me. I just went back to Disruption/Project/Weaken Mind/Forcequake spam with a healing build. :negative:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 11, 2013

• Locked thread