Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

My wife is a baker and did culinary school. She's dying for a proper gas range / convection oven. Have any goons purchased any lately and can recommend? Aiming for $1500 or less but I can be flexible if it's really worth it.

I've seen an LG and a Frigidaire that look decent but a goon with firsthand experience on their product is infinitely more valuable than what's on the label.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.

mod sassinator posted:

I haven't cooked with copper core stuff but from what I understand it's not a big difference in everyday cooking. Go for a nice clad stainless steel cookware--that's stainless on the outside with a core of aluminum on the inside. Pure aluminum or anodized aluminum is nice too because it heats up quickly and evenly, but it's usually a bigger pain to clean (most can't go in the dishwasher).

You mentioned cooking on electric ranges--if you're cooking on a smooth top range that isn't induction, I would look into cookware with a big aluminum disc on the bottom. I have a smooth electric range and have unfortunately found any clad stainless cookware will warp over time and end up wobbling & not making good contact with the smooth top. On gas or even induction it's fine because the cookware doesn't have to touch the surface for best heat transfer, but on a smooth electric it sucks because you get worse heat transfer and stuff takes longer to heat, cooks unevenly, etc. I've found aluminum disc cookware is usually very thick and less likely to warp. For example this Farberware disc bottom skillet has been a workhorse in my kitchen for almost 10 years now and cooks fantastically on my smooth top electric range: http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Millennium-Stainless-Nonstick-Skillet/dp/B000U60464 In general look for something with a thick and heavy bottom. IMHO the best 12" skillets should just about be uncomfortable to lift because they're so dense.

Awesome, thanks a ton! I'm going to look into something with an aluminum core instead of copper. I'm only in NC for 18 months, so I might skip the aluminum disk and get something that will work well with gas once I'm back in the northeast. I appreciate all the advice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

feld posted:

My wife is a baker and did culinary school. She's dying for a proper gas range / convection oven. Have any goons purchased any lately and can recommend? Aiming for $1500 or less but I can be flexible if it's really worth it.

I've seen an LG and a Frigidaire that look decent but a goon with firsthand experience on their product is infinitely more valuable than what's on the label.

Thanks!

Bosch.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok guys-immersion blenders. But here's the caveat. If anyone else can suggest something different, I'm all ears.

The only thing I used my old immersion blender for was soups, maybe 3-4 times. The main function was the mini food processor. I use it to make my pizza sauce. Throw 1-2 cloves garlic, chop, then add whole peeled tomatoes, salt, oregano, crushed red pepper, basil, splash of olive oil, blend it all up.

Sadly, the processor part is cracked and done for so it's in the trash.

Anyone recommend an immersion blender with a good attachment for processing/chopping? Or maybe some other tool? I have a food processor but it's a big 7 cup one I think. I also have a Ninja Blender with the single serve attachment so I've been thinking of just using that instead.

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No Wave posted:

Edge faux has been working basically 100% for me. And it's not like it's illegal or anything - the patent on the Edge pro expired in 2010. Up to you.

As a warning the stones for the edge pro suck for hand-grinding because they're so small.

Where do you find the Edge Faux at?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Can anyone recommend a good cherry pitter? I got one from my parents but quickly found it's too small to actually pit any cherries at all. :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mod sassinator posted:

I wouldn't buy a big set--you'll get one or two big useful pieces and a lot of smaller less useful pieces that will just take up cabinet space. If I had to start over, here's my short list of must have cookware with rough costs--this is what I use 99% of the time in my kitchen:
12" stainless skillet - $120
12" cast iron skillet - $20
12" nonstick skillet - $50
8" nonstick skillet - $10
4 qt. sauce pan - $80
6-7 qt. enameled cast iron dutch oven - $250
8 qt. pressure cooker - $200

Get nonstick stuff from a restaurant supply store since it's cheap and will need to be replaced every few years. That's still about $250 shy of $1000 so there's room to buy a decent chefs knife, lots of OXO gadgets (can opener, spatulas, strainer, etc.), and maybe a Thermapen thermometer too.
I get a lot of use out of my 2 quart sauce pan, as well, but the others you wrote are all great pans. Some 8" pans are absolutely tiny, but it honestly depends on the brand, too - the t-fal one was stupidly small (the sides sloped quite a bit), but my roommate's 8" is quite useful.

I would recommend getting a cheaper pressure cooker and cheaper dutch oven first to see if you actually use them. A roasting pan is good, too.

Realistically you could get all your pans for under $500 (cuisinart MultiClad) and put the rest of the money towards a VitaMix and a ThermaPen, which I would strongly, strongly recommend. You'll see a lot of high-end kitchens without dutch ovens, but you'll never see any without a VitaMix.

nwin posted:

Where do you find the Edge Faux at?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400374509003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I just ordered a protractor off Amazon so I'll measure and write in the knife thread what the angle markings actually correspond to.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No Wave posted:

I get a lot of use out of my 2 quart sauce pan, as well, but the others you wrote are all great pans. Some 8" pans are absolutely tiny, but it honestly depends on the brand, too - the t-fal one was stupidly small (the sides sloped quite a bit), but my roommate's 8" is quite useful.

I would recommend getting a cheaper pressure cooker and cheaper dutch oven first to see if you actually use them. A roasting pan is good, too.

Realistically you could get all your pans for under $500 (cuisinart MultiClad) and put the rest of the money towards a VitaMix and a ThermaPen, which I would strongly, strongly recommend. You'll see a lot of high-end kitchens without dutch ovens, but you'll never see any without a VitaMix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400374509003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I just ordered a protractor off Amazon so I'll measure and write in the knife thread what the angle markings actually correspond to.

One last question...how do you keep the blade straight? Does the spine of the knife just lay flat against it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

nwin posted:

One last question...how do you keep the blade straight? Does the spine of the knife just lay flat against it?
Sort of - you'll have to angle it a bit when you go towards the tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6DJ0PQxyA (just skip to 2:40 if you're ADD like me)

I never even bothered using the stones that came with it, as everyone who's used them has said they're total poo poo - I got the shapton glass ones (320, 1000, and recently 4000 arriving soon) off of chefknivestogo, the ones specifically made for the edge pro. This significantly ups the price, but still the right solution for me. For now.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

nwin posted:

Ok guys-immersion blenders. But here's the caveat. If anyone else can suggest something different, I'm all ears.

The only thing I used my old immersion blender for was soups, maybe 3-4 times. The main function was the mini food processor. I use it to make my pizza sauce. Throw 1-2 cloves garlic, chop, then add whole peeled tomatoes, salt, oregano, crushed red pepper, basil, splash of olive oil, blend it all up.

Sadly, the processor part is cracked and done for so it's in the trash.

Anyone recommend an immersion blender with a good attachment for processing/chopping? Or maybe some other tool? I have a food processor but it's a big 7 cup one I think. I also have a Ninja Blender with the single serve attachment so I've been thinking of just using that instead.

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Costco sells the Cuisinart for 20-30 depending on location and sales. That's the 2-speed with attachments version, MSRP 70. Had mine 4 years, still perfect.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

nwin posted:

Anyone recommend an immersion blender with a good attachment for processing/chopping? Or maybe some other tool? I have a food processor but it's a big 7 cup one I think.

I use my Bamix for pizza/pasta sauce. Just throw ingredients together in the beaker thing and blend the crap out of them.

The little mini-food processor attachment that I figured would be useless takes care of herbs/spices/garlic/etc if you couldn't be bothered with a knife/mortar... but it might be a bit too small for what you want.

http://www.bamix.com/processormuehle-208.html

feelz good man posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cherry pitter? I got one from my parents but quickly found it's too small to actually pit any cherries at all. :(

I have an Oxo one. Does the job. Doesn't feel like it will break anytime.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cherry-Pitter-Black/dp/B000NQ925K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373353744&sr=8-1&keywords=cherry+pitter

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Didn't know Bosch made ranges. Nice. Found a seller in town -- will go look.

Thanks!

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

feelz good man posted:

If you have any significant amount of cherries to pit, I like this style of cherry stoner. Every summer my mother would sit me down with this and 15 gallons of sour cherries. It makes a bit of a mess, but it works well if you need to process a lot of cherries.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

feld posted:

Didn't know Bosch made ranges. Nice. Found a seller in town -- will go look.

Thanks!

I got a Bosch range in November, no complaints yet. It does convection.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Chemmy posted:

I got a Bosch range in November, no complaints yet. It does convection.

My Bosch has a huge interior relative to exterior dimensions, and is true convection. Excellent so far.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I haven't used the convection. What's something it's really good at?

(Don't say bread, my wife has celiac. :( )

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Chemmy posted:

It makes amazing crispy skin on a roast chicken.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Chemmy posted:

(Don't say bread, my wife has celiac. :( )

For convenience cooking. Frozen foods have no preheat time, nor "turn after 7 minutes.". Put in, set temp, turn on, start timer. Baking is good, has proofing setting. Bakes faster, preheats faster.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone used the downdraft vent ranges marketed by expensive home range companies to people who have way too much money?

I just.... it boggles my mind. heat rises. why would you have a downdraft vent? I don't even understand.

edit : part two - vent hoods. anyone have recommendations on vent hoods? professional or consumer grade. I eventually want to get one, and I'm willing to install ducting and mount my fan outside if need be. primary concern is sucking every loving vapor, and being quiet as humanly possible.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 10, 2013

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

It might have been posted in this thread before, but I really like the Joseph Joseph garlic press, It's so much easier to use and clean than any other one I've tried.

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Rocker-Garlic-Crusher-Stainless/dp/B003Y3AZSM

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mindphlux posted:

just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone used the downdraft vent ranges marketed by expensive home range companies to people who have way too much money?

I just.... it boggles my mind. heat rises. why would you have a downdraft vent? I don't even understand.
My parents have one (the stove is on an island in the kitchen and they can't put a thing above it). It works better than nothing but not overly well. Heat rises, sure, but the idea is to catch smoke, yes? And smoke can be sucked with a fan.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

mindphlux posted:

edit : part two - vent hoods. anyone have recommendations on vent hoods? professional or consumer grade. I eventually want to get one, and I'm willing to install ducting and mount my fan outside if need be. primary concern is sucking every loving vapor, and being quiet as humanly possible.

https://www.bestrangehoods.com

I have the 36" WP29 for my 6 burner bluestar range. You cannot tell you're cooking fish/bacon/anything when this thing is running. I can sear anything and cause a huge amount of smoke and there isn't even a trace of it in the house. It is great to pull off the heat in the summer for stove top or baking as well. The built in lighting is fantastic. Variable speed control on the blower so you can get it quieter, but I have the 1200cfm motor and it can be pretty loud when you have it up more than half way.
Highly recommended.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

It might have been posted in this thread before, but I really like the Joseph Joseph garlic press, It's so much easier to use and clean than any other one I've tried.

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Rocker-Garlic-Crusher-Stainless/dp/B003Y3AZSM
Use a microplane!!! Jeez guys!!!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Use a microplane!!! Jeez guys!!!

I just use a knife. or a mortar and pestle if i want a paste.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I just use a knife. or a mortar and pestle if i want a paste.
Same. I mean I really don't care what other people do in the kitchen, but I absolutely do not get all the weird convolutions people go through over garlic.

I will, however, use a microplane on ginger because that poo poo is like magic.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I smash cloves with the side of my knife, then mince. What is the point of a garlic press exactly? To solve a problem that doesn't exist?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I want minced garlic I just get a spoonful out of the jar. Who needs fancy tools for that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

When I make dishes like noodles with ragu I've frozen for a quick (and delicious) meal, I usually don't have my cutting board or knives out. The microplane's gonna get used anyways for parm, so I can use it to cook off some extra garlic before putting the sauce in the pan.

Probably half my meals don't require the use of a cutting board or knife - because my breakfasts are often just scrambled eggs and toast. Or whatever. Being able to microplane garlic saves time and effort and I can do it directly over the pan. Paul Qui does it so it's okay.

Plus, I mean, if you don't own a microplane anyways, ehhh... gently caress that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well there's your problem, your cutting board isn't always out at the ready!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I have four roommates, and two of them are obsessed with neatness/putting poo poo away. It's annoying when I manage to piss them off about once a month, but in general helps me build good habits and honestly is much better than the alternative. When I move this will be remedied!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

When I make dishes like noodles with ragu I've frozen for a quick (and delicious) meal, I usually don't have my cutting board or knives out. The microplane's gonna get used anyways for parm, so I can use it to cook off some extra garlic before putting the sauce in the pan.

Eh, if I'm one-offing a quick meal like a ragu I can't be arsed to add extra garlic. Even still, cutting board is always on the counter and it's not very hard at all to mince a bit up.

And as we know from the knife thread, any excuse to use these things I've spent way too much money on :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

And as we know from the knife thread, any excuse to use these things I've spent way too much money on :v:
This is, of course, the best reason - I mean it's a hobby, go hog wild! I plan to do the same when I get my own place in a few months.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I tell my wife I need the knives for work, but really, I want them because they're shiny. :chef:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

My cutting board isn't on the counter because I don't have a cutting board; I have a stack of them in a drawer next to it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think the rocker thing is kinda cool looking and am going to buy one as I enjoy shiny things and love messy drawers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I think the rocker thing is kinda cool looking and am going to buy one as I enjoy shiny things and love messy drawers.
Just put the money into a mutual fund instead. Sixty cents, every year, for the rest of your life!

EDIT: Okay, officially off-topic. Apologies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Just put the money into a mutual fund instead. Sixty cents, every year, for the rest of your life!

EDIT: Okay, officially off-topic. Apologies.

Hah, yeah, if I were the kind to do that a $15 gadget would not be the first thing on the chopping block.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I smash cloves with the side of my knife, then mince. What is the point of a garlic press exactly? To solve a problem that doesn't exist?

It solves my problem of being a babby who takes forever to chop anything but likes putting lots of garlic in stuff :shobon:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
If anybody was waiting on a price drop, the electric Fagor pressure cooker that many of us (including myself) would recommend for multi-cooking purposes is around half off ($63): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A62O1G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zenzirouj posted:

If anybody was waiting on a price drop, the electric Fagor pressure cooker that many of us (including myself) would recommend for multi-cooking purposes is around half off ($63): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A62O1G

Says $92 to me

• Locked thread