Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazarenth
Mar 28, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Just a heads up to anybody actually reading Brett posts, this is pure conjecture and Tom and Tony Cannon have both said they received no money from NRS or Warner Bros except pot bonuses. I mean you could believe Brett and think the only reason the most popular non-Capcom fighting game at the moment is only at EVO because they were literally paid but then you'd also have to wonder why the gently caress Persona 4 is there because there's no way in hell they were given money for that and MrWiz absolutely hates the game.

Actually Tom Cannon said on Ultrachentv Monday that they did pay for the expenses for Injustice (but nothing extra to the organizers), unless I misunderstood him. I'd link the archives but I'm on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

wixard posted:

Both NRS games should be at EVO if they have the entrants, but it seems pretty unlikely no money changed hands when NRS basically has their own stream for the whole weekend.

That's on the streamer - the person doing the NRS stream pretty much only streams MK9 and IJ so it makes sense.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
To back up Brett and lazarenth, Tom Cannon did confirm on UltraChen that WB/NRS put in money for setups+overhead to have Injustice at Evo. NRS contacted the Evo staff about having Injustice in Evo, staff told them how much money it would cost to run Injustice, WB/NRS gave them that money.

Chen also talked about why MK9 and Injustice are getting their own streams. The main room will have only setups to play games and is where all the other games will be ran, while the second room will have vendors+BYOC+indie games (I think)+setups and is where MK9 and Injustice will be ran.

edit: Now that I'm not on my phone anymore, here's the link to the UltraChen episode http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/427844809
Chen talking about the room/stream situation is at 22:00
Cannon talking about money being provided to run Injustice is at 41:30

Also worth noting is that Evo is supporting other people to stream over 4G. IE Battlegrounds will be doing Tekken and ST, FinestKO is doing P4A I believe

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 10, 2013

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

It's not really on the streamer, the TOs decide who the streamers and commentators are. It doesn't make sense for the biggest fighting game tournament in the world to assign streamers randomly and say "Here you go, stream what you like."

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but it seems naive to think it just happened that NRS games have more time on-stream than the games that way more people watch and play.

edit: Simply put, if no one paid to have Injustice added does anyone think the 2nd official EVO stream would be MK9 for 2 days straight? They would have found a way to set it up to show other games.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 10, 2013

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.
Tom Cannon also mentioned part of the reason MK9 is getting so much stream time stems from it sharing its room with Injustice, but not overlapping in times, due to there being a lot of overlap between the MK9 and Injustice players. Since those games are what's being run in that hall, it makes sense that the stream station in that hall streams those games. I at least found that story pretty plausible from a tournament running logistics perspective, with the stream essentially being a secondary consideration.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
To distill what other people are saying: if you put together the facts Tom Cannon provided the real reason MK/Injustice are alone in the second room is because NRS paid for those ten setups and won't let them be used for other games. Sucks for P4A/TTT2 to have between them 3x as many entrants as MK9 and 1/3rd the total time on the main streams, sounds like side streams will be holding it down though (4G the god).

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

iPodschun posted:

Also worth noting is that Evo is supporting other people to stream over 4G. IE Battlegrounds will be doing Tekken and ST, FinestKO is doing P4A I believe

Don't forget Clashtournaments streaming Melee.

e: VGbootcamp too. drat I like Smash but even I think that's a little excessive. It would be more expedient to have one stream and just record the other matches for later.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 10, 2013

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
More side stream info: According to the SRK viewing guide ( http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/how-to-watch-evo-2013-a-viewers-guide/ ), Karastorm will stream SFxT, IE Battlegrounds will have ST, and IE Battlegrounds 2 will have TTT2.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I hope 4G in Vegas isn't as bad as is rumored, I really wanted to see Tekken top32.

Webb
Dec 28, 2008

Yes I am made from the excrement of spiders what of it
Twitch speedrunner Cosmowright made this little video explaining some melee mechanics for those curious about how the game is played competitively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwo_VBSfqWk

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Live on Three will have Gootecks as a host tonight and Wizard as a guest later on. Show just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoregametv

edit: Arturo has Battle Circuit https://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 11, 2013

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
:siren: :supaburn: :burger: :catdrugs: :burger: :supaburn: :siren: THREAD IS CLOSED UNTIL EVO IS OVER!!!!! CLICK BELOW TO WIN A FREE EVOLUTION 2013 THREAD :siren: :supaburn: :burger: :catdrugs: :burger: :supaburn: :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559225

I'll reopen the thread on monday.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Welcome back to the world of Pro Fighting Games (TM).

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

When's marvel?

VXG two weeks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Can someone post some stuff about VXG? I know it was a minor deal in the Carribean last year and gootecks was there, and I know that this year there's tons of money being thrown around to draw in tourism and a bunch of it went to EMP, but that's it.

Are there any dates or schedules or games announced? Any names other than the obvious EMP people going?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can someone post some stuff about VXG? I know it was a minor deal in the Carribean last year and gootecks was there, and I know that this year there's tons of money being thrown around to draw in tourism and a bunch of it went to EMP, but that's it.

Are there any dates or schedules or games announced? Any names other than the obvious EMP people going?

What you posted is pretty much what's happening. They're putting a big pile of money in, and paid for a number of winners from other tournaments to go down and compete. They want to make it a big deal, so they're pouring money into it. Also, it's not just a fighting game tournament - it's being billed as a weekend-long party with all kinds of beach parties, DJs and dance hall stuff going on too.

As far as games, expect all the rgulars - SF4, Marvel, MK9, Injustice, Tekken, KOF...I think P4A will be there. Oh also it's got FPS stuff too.

It'll be interesting to see how it comes off. I just looked through their rules, and they are...uh...way more strict than FGC rules usually are.

edit: runs July 25-28

uhh... reading more about the event, this is really weird. There's a Mortal Kombat "reenactment lunch hosted by Shang Tsung", a couples discount where you can get a sensual massage, and all sorts other things you'd expect from a resort hotel. This is going to be one weird loving culture clash.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 15, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I remember Triforce was trying to hook Skullgirls up with booking at VxG in response to smash winning the Evo Charity Drive, I wonder if that's still happening.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Platypus Farm posted:

What you posted is pretty much what's happening. They're putting a big pile of money in, and paid for a number of winners from other tournaments to go down and compete. They want to make it a big deal, so they're pouring money into it. Also, it's not just a fighting game tournament - it's being billed as a weekend-long party with all kinds of beach parties, DJs and dance hall stuff going on too.

As far as games, expect all the rgulars - SF4, Marvel, MK9, Injustice, Tekken, KOF...I think P4A will be there. Oh also it's got FPS stuff too.

It'll be interesting to see how it comes off. I just looked through their rules, and they are...uh...way more strict than FGC rules usually are.

edit: runs July 25-28

uhh... reading more about the event, this is really weird. There's a Mortal Kombat "reenactment lunch hosted by Shang Tsung", a couples discount where you can get a sensual massage, and all sorts other things you'd expect from a resort hotel. This is going to be one weird loving culture clash.

I really hope they have a stream up for FGC beach parties or whatever. I'm trying to picture all the most well-known FG players in ugly swimsuits trying to act cool while dance music plays in the background.

edit: And Marn inevitably vomiting on someone.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I just realized VxG is the same weekend as SGDQ, gently caress. I'm not going to get any sleep at all.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I really hope they have a stream up for FGC beach parties or whatever. I'm trying to picture all the most well-known FG players in ugly swimsuits trying to act cool while dance music plays in the background.

edit: And Marn inevitably vomiting on someone.

After their love-in after the SF4 evo finals, I hope Chris G and FChamp go as a couple so they can have a free romantic dinner for two with a free bottle of wine from one of the participating resort eateries, and so they can share a couples massage.

edit: And so it'll be streamed.

VVVVV - then he could REALLY use that massage.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 15, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think ChrisG is going to be salty from losing all his evo money to Nemo.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Tae posted:

I think ChrisG is going to be salty from losing all his evo money to Nemo.

And then some

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Oh god. That loving sucks.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I'm not entirely sure anyone is even going to go to VxG at all. The website is literally one of the craziest things in a while

VXG FAQ posted:

There were about 80 entrants last year for MK9. Previously VxG was the major tournament of the Caribbean but now it has become a major international tournament. We expect the numbers to be at least 200 due to the tournament being sanctioned by Shang Tsung, who will have a special dinner for the first 200 signups.

Oh, it'll get more MK players than EVO because it's the only major officially sanctioned by Shang Tsung himself. Of course.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What if everyone rocks up on this island for a Shang Tsung hosted tournament and then they slowly, but surely, realize there are no videogame consoles.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
You guys don't realize that Shang Tsung has won the nine previous VXG tournaments and if he wins this one our realms will merge :derp:

Who will be our VXG hero?

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
I recorded Apologyman vs MarlinPie in losers if anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XxOwEt1I0

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
So is there any chance of VxG actually making money, or is this one of those esports bubble things that will happen once and disappear off the face of the Earth?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Redmark posted:

So is there any chance of VxG actually making money, or is this one of those esports bubble things that will happen once and disappear off the face of the Earth?

Erm... did you see the quote about Shang Tsung? Sounds like a legit tournament to me.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
They had VxG last year, so I can only assume it did well.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

From what I've heard, the guys running VxG have a lot of tourism money from the government of St. Maarten and are using it to sponsor and attract a bunch of top players. They've also made some sort of deal with EMP to sponsor the tournament.

I doubt this tournament will be profitable for them, but it will certainly generate a lot of publicity for them and maybe attract more vacation goers who will spend money on other stuff on the island.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Redmark posted:

It's wholly funded by the St Maarten government, if it brings people to the island it will happen again

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
Goon and cool guy BananaKen is streaming Persona 4 training mode and chatting about stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/denjinj

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
So AGE is kinda dead? http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jul/16/onehandedterror-no-longer-team-manager-age-not-sure-if-team-will-survive/

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Battle Circuit is up on Arturo's channel right now since Spooky is still in California.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Xian just mentioned he won $5700 for winning AE, was on djWheat's Twitch show.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
It's too bad there wasn't a $25K pot bonus for Xian to reap this year.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I still believe that the payouts in the community are far too low.

$5700 for winning the world championship of a 1600-player tournament stacked with most of the absolute best players on the planet is ridiculously low.

Also the biggest game tournament in the world still only paying out to Top 8 is a joke. Given the level of competition, getting to Top 64 in a 1000+ entrant tourney at EVO is the equivalent of winning a major.
Especially when EVO has historically made money off those players with stream viewership and DVDs (I don't know if EVO still sells DVDs of finals, though).

I don't know how anything will change unless game companies get more involved however. Why Capcom doesn't donate a pot bonus for their games every single year at EVO, I have no clue.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The EVO 2013 Injustice champion just got beat by a Hawkgirl who had no combos.

e: on battle circuit stream

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I can't remember who it was, might have been someone on OBS one of the few times I watched it, but they speculated that part of the reason the console games have a hard time getting more sponsorship money was because with the consoles there isn't much to sell. With PC games like LoL you can have sponsors in there selling all kinds of parts and peripherals, but that the consoles are a lot more limited. Most people have the console and probably have the game, so it's just maybe buying a stick or monitor and then some merchandising. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it was an interesting thought.