Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Re: Guns, bowls, bowl sizes, small batches, etc...

As has been said previously, too big a bowl and you risk losing a ton of heat. Your roast times will stretch and you run into the flavor risks I've outlined before (baked, other off flavors). I found this out the hard way when I said, with presumed logic, "Oh hey to get the agitation I want I'll use a 6 quart bowl on the full pound I'm roasting". Bad idea. Sure, I could stir like hell... but I held no heat. I pitched that batch after trying it on a few different brew methods.

What I settled on was a run-of-the-mill 2 quart stainless steel mixing bowl from Target. You can find suitable ones all over the place. Half a pound is the "perfect" batch size for this bowl, but I do full pounds in there as well, and my quarter-pound test batches. When I say half pound is "perfect" for this bowl size, I mean it's a good mass and I have just enough room to put a good stir on the beans while I'm roasting without losing a ton of heat. On the pound batches, it's harder to stir initially just because it's twice as much dense mass to move with your spoon, and then later in the roast when the beans expand you risk tossing them all over the place now that they're much less dense. You get used to it, you adjust your stirring, it's no big deal.

But quarter pound batches are a slightly different animal in the bowl. Technically the bowl is "too big", so you're losing a ton of heat. The offset? For 4 ounces of green coffee a heat gun puts out a shitload of heat, ergo you can scorch them anyway. The solution is just raising the gun from the surface of the beans. Enjoy the breezy sauna, open up the pores a bit because you're going to have a boatload of ambient heat flying around, but hey... you can stir the piss out 4 ounces in a 2 quart bowl, so it should be pretty even. I think the last time I did a 4 ounce batch I was 1-2 inches off the beans the entire time because of the scorching issue.

Once you go to the gun, half pounds and pounds become so trivial to roast that if you're like me, 4 ounce batches literally become roast level evaluations. Take a pound, do four different roast levels, figure out where you want to be, go nuts. After that, presuming you have enough of the bean you're testing, you just do the larger batches until you run out. The one-way valve tins from sweet maria's are god-sends in this regard. They work amazingly well. I've had beans go in them right out of the cooling process from roast, sealed immediately and then opened 2 weeks later you would think they were roasted right then. The oxygen purge is that good.

Bonus shot of 20 lbs of lovin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
I finally decided if I was willing to spend for beans from Hawaii, I could spring for an aeropress. I've used it a couple times and I have a couple questions for you guys...

I followed their directions to use 2 scoops, fill to the 2 line, stir a bit, then press until you hit the grounds and stop (and don't compress the grounds). Is the water supposed to get through the grounds before the plunger gets there? Or are you supposed to time it so the plunger gets there right when the water reaches that level? I end up pushing a bunch of air through the grounds...

This makes a double shot, and then I add some hot water to make an "Americano". It definitely makes good coffee, no question about it. But I have an aesthetic aversion to adding hot water to my brew. I want to brew a cup of coffee... Are there ways to use the aeropress that will just give me regular coffee? Will something "bad" happen chemically or whatever if I use two scoops of coffee, fill it to the 4 with water, and then get a full cup without adding the water after?

Also, any other aeropress hacks or whatever you'd like to pass along?

I also got a burr grinder and it does make really nice consistent grinds. I can see why this makes such a difference. The problem is I got a hand crank one, and realize they weren't exaggerating when they said it took a LONG time to grind. I'm going to have to get an electric one - no question about it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have an aeropress and I have found that everyone has their own weird way* of making a cup with it. You should probably just experiment until you find one that you like. But definitely choose on taste and not on "aesthetic aversion".

*Personally, I use 18 grams of coffee and boiling water, bloom for 30 seconds, fill to the top over 30 seconds, then press for 30 seconds. Then I add about a cup of cool water to get it to a drinkable temperature and concentration. This tastes the best to me and someone else is about to tell you to turn it upside-down and use a gold filter and that presumably tastes the best to them. The dose is small enough that you can try a lot of different ways without wasting too much money/coffee so just go for it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dump the Aeropress and get a Clever Dripper.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mu Zeta posted:

Dump the Aeropress and get a Clever Dripper.

I disagree. Keep the Aeropress and get a Clever Dripper.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mandalay posted:

I disagree. Keep the Aeropress and get a Clever Dripper.

You can never have too much coffee poo poo.

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

You aren't making espresso, you're doing bypass brewing. Essentially making a concentrate and then cutting it to your desired strength. I'm partial to Brandon Weaver's WAC recipe which is on google. It yields about 6oz. If you want more than that, but don't want to bypass brew then you should buy a kalita 185 or an eva solo. Those are great for recipes yielding 16+ ounces, and they require minimal technique.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I do a standard ratio for pourover coffee brew, but with finer grind and shorter extraction time. I typically bloom, add the remaining water, stir, and plunge. It has been said that you should stop plunging once you hear the air fizzing through the coffee as from that point on all you're extracting is bitter stuff. I don't know if that's necessarily true or not but I do know that it is a hell of a lot messier to clean if you don't plunge into a dense puck.

These days I seem to have come full circle. I'm really enjoying chasing the perfect extraction with a V60. I've relegated my aeropress to cold brew dripper duty. And I use a CCD at work. As with all coffee habits though, it'll probably change soon.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Fino Martini posted:

You aren't making espresso, you're doing bypass brewing. Essentially making a concentrate and then cutting it to your desired strength. I'm partial to Brandon Weaver's WAC recipe which is on google. It yields about 6oz. If you want more than that, but don't want to bypass brew then you should buy a kalita 185 or an eva solo. Those are great for recipes yielding 16+ ounces, and they require minimal technique.

I concur. I usually only drink espresso at home, but on rare occassions mix it up with some Aerobi Aeropress. For the lazy here's Brandon Weavers Championship recipe. (-and seriously, an Aeropress championship)

15 g coffee.
220 g of water at 204 degrees Fahrenheit.
Inverted.
Filter: Able Disk.

ALSO - inverted. gently caress the haters- it makes a better cup.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright-I noticed something today.

I originally bought two air poppers. One was a poppery II (1200 watts I think) that I never used-got it at goodwill for 7 bucks. I also got a poppery (1500 watts) off ebay.

I've been using the 1500 watt version and can do a little over 1/2 cup each roast no problem. Today I tried to use the 1200 watt version using 1/2 cup. I turned it on and the beans weren't even spinning. I ended up being able to roast maybe just over 1/4 cup in there so the beans were agitating normally. Definitely not worth it.

So, due to me wanting to be able to do 1/2 lb at a time, looks like I'm going to take the advice here and grab a heat gun!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
How long does cold brewed coffee last? I have two toddy cold brew makers and I want to do them both at once than store them in a glass pitcher in my fridge, using about 1/4 cup every morning. Will it last me a while or should I just make one at a time and rotate the two systems each week? The packaging says stays fresh up to three weeks but I don't really trust that.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Flaggy posted:

How long does cold brewed coffee last? I have two toddy cold brew makers and I want to do them both at once than store them in a glass pitcher in my fridge, using about 1/4 cup every morning. Will it last me a while or should I just make one at a time and rotate the two systems each week? The packaging says stays fresh up to three weeks but I don't really trust that.

I keep mine either in the toddy container with the lid on or a mason jar that I vacuum seal and it seems to last over a week without a problem. I don't know that I'd buy 3 weeks however, I feel like it would oxidize by then.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
My girlfriend just got a job at a coffee shop/bar... So much for ever being sober/non-caffeinated again. Also the manager said she'd sell me green coffee at wholesale...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Alright guys, where am I buying coffee in San Francisco? Besides blue bottle. SF proper, but I'm mobile as long as I don't need to take a bridge (or bart tube).
I like Africans and a good Cappuccino (5-6oz, none of that milky poo poo)

nm fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 12, 2013

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

nm posted:

Alright guys, where am I buying coffee in San Francisco? Besides blue bottle. SF proper, but I'm mobile as long as I don't need to take a bridge (or bart tube).
I like Africans and a good Cappuccino (5-6oz, none of that milky poo poo)

Four Barrel, Ritual, Trouble, Sightglass... Also beans at Graffeo are apparently the best, though I haven't been up there yet (loving North Beach).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

firebad57 posted:

Four Barrel, Ritual, Trouble, Sightglass... Also beans at Graffeo are apparently the best, though I haven't been up there yet (loving North Beach).

Is trouble the guys with the artisan toast?
Do they just serve intellegenisa coffee? Looking for things I can't get in LA.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 12, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You can get Four Barrel at Cognoscenti, so I'd suggest Graffeo or something more esoteric. My fav multi-roaster shop last visit was Ma'velous on Market.

Orrr you could go to Oakland and see sweet maria's GREEN BEANS in person.

e: if you are in SOMA, do check out Sightglass's shop. It's beautiful. De La Paz is in the area as well, I believe, but I didn't have time to stop by last time around.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have some links to decent videos or directions about the heat gun method? I know there were a few posted somewhere in this thread.

Going to YouTube gave me a few results but mostly failed attempts.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I threw up my Saeco Aroma I am no longer using on SA-Mart. Has a few issues (see post), but I think it's a pretty good price for a good little machine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559601

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Have any of you heard of/used a cafe solo? I saw it in a coffee shop today (Joe in Philly) and I've never heard of it in my coffee ventures before. The description said it was good for bringing out the acidity of the coffee - which isn't really my thing, but I'm still curious.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

nwin posted:

Anyone have some links to decent videos or directions about the heat gun method? I know there were a few posted somewhere in this thread.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLeO6YQTorw. Someone posted their method a page or two back too.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

nm posted:

artisan toast

I would think you got that from a Portlandia skit if I didn't know that you aren't kidding...

Anyway, have figured out that Aeropress makes GREAT coffee. Inverted is definitely the way to go - use about 1 1/2 scoops fine grind (no scale, yet - easing myself (and the wife) into the joys of coffee paraphernalia). After having a couple accidents where the plunger angles off and leaks, have decided that the aforementioned "aesthetics" is bullshit and I leave ample room at the bottom which decreases the size of the brew chamber. Then I add 1/4 cup hot water after the press to make a proper sized cup (mug).

Now for the horror - I add lots of 1/2 and 1/2 (which is why my cup is actually a mug). Do I have to leave the thread?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

nwin posted:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions.php has a lot of info on roasting.

Otherwise:

-Oven mits
-Wooden spoon
-Heat gun
-Dog bowl
-Green coffee
-Strainer/Colander
-Medium/large bowl

Add coffee to dog bowl. Turn on heat gun to low setting and place about 3 inches from coffee and start slowly stirring with the wooden spoon. As the coffee starts to turn yellow you can turn up the heat gun to high setting and start to slowly get closer till you're about an inch away.

Don't ever stop stirring.

The more you stir the bigger your arm muscles will get and the more even your coffee will roast. After about 5 minutes or so the coffee will be getting to the point of looking like typical roasted coffee, around then you'll start to hear popping sounds. This is called first crack and technically you could stop once the coffee goes through first crack, but typically i'll keep going for about a minute after if I want something like a medium/light roast. This is kinda the tricky part and it'll take a couple batches and some practice to get the feel for it. The coffee will roast much quicker after you hit first crack and only after 1 to 3 mins it'll probably hit second crack.

First crack is typically City roast
Right before second crack is typically Full City
Second crack is typically Full City +
After that you're getting into French roast

First crack is pretty loud and obvious. Second crack is a little quieter. For your first attempts I would suggest going through First crack and as soon as you start to hear Second crack dump it in the colander or another bowl and stir/shake it to cool it down. If you have a fan this will also work well to help cool it quickly. Careful the dog bowl is loving hot and so is the end of the heat gun. Use them oven mits.

For your first couple batches I'd stick with just a small handful of coffee. Also remember that coffee expands a bit so don't fill the dog bowl up too full. Your first attempt or two will probably suck, but after that it's a pretty easy learning curve. I think I hosed up my first two batches and then after that everything was fantastic. I stopped too early on my first batches, you can tell cause after it's cooled the coffee smells really grassy and not really like coffee.

Good luck, have fun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Goddammit, why did none of you tell me Graffeo only sold beans?
Hauled my rear end up to north beach for nothing

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

Goddammit, why did none of you tell me Graffeo only sold beans?
Hauled my rear end up to north beach for nothing

http://www.yelp.com/biz/graffeo-coffee-roasting-company-san-francisco

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I didn't yelp it because it was sa coffee spurgers recommended. Plus yelp for coffee is loving stupid.
Handsome coffee gets bad votes for no mochas. Augies for no non-fat milk. Temple for lovely seats. All of the good coffee places for being massive hipster douchebags (turns out hipster douchebags make great coffee). Plus starbucks gets 5 stars because they "make my soy vanilla frappachinno (hold the coffee) perfectly!"

Tommorow or tonight (my cars clutch blew up yesterday, so I am less mobile today) I'm doing spyglass and maybe something else.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 13, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I would suggest actually reading reviews rather than blindly looking at stars.

Also, the Yelp reviews seem to indicate that coffee drinks are made at Graffeo. was that incorrect?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Also, the Yelp reviews seem to indicate that coffee drinks are made at Graffeo. was that incorrect?
Yes, yelp lied. The front counter is a scale and a couple of grinders. I even asked and the guy looked at me like I was stupid (because i was, it would seem).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

Yes, yelp lied. The front counter is a scale and a couple of grinders. I even asked and the guy looked at me like I was stupid (because i was, it would seem).

turns out hipster douchebags sometimes don't make great coffee

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I have a hard time calling my favorite cafe's staff hipster douchebags because they just seem really earnest about their hipster-ness. I prefer to say they are "selective".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mandalay posted:

turns out hipster douchebags sometimes don't make great coffee

These were old italian dudes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Someone wrote up a mini-guide on when using x method for brewing was appropriate for x beans but I don't know how to find it. I think it was something like sweeter coffees go much better with the Chemex but I'm not sure. Could someone repost that?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

First time trying out a cold drip, turned out really nice. It's winter here at the moment but an iced latte in the morning is amazing.

I'll probably try a larger amount of coffee though next time with a coarser grind - I think the grind was a little too fine and it didn't drip through the aeropress as easy. How coarse should I be aiming for?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tried the dog bowl method today with my new heat gun.

This house is so old I don't think it supplies enough power, especially at the outside outlet. I had 1/2 pound of beans in. 2 qt bowl and it took about 30 minutes to finish first crack. My arm was sore as gently caress from stirring the whole time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nwin posted:

This house is so old I don't think it supplies enough power, especially at the outside outlet. I had 1/2 pound of beans in. 2 qt bowl and it took about 30 minutes to finish first crack. My arm was sore as gently caress from stirring the whole time.

Yeah something might be weird with your power. It takes me no more than 15 minutes to roast a half pound with hgdb. Also, first and second crack are usually very close to each other using this method, in my experience at least.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

nwin posted:

What kind of wattage does your heatgun supply? And if you've got the adjustable type did you close the vent up to go to high heat?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

o muerte posted:

What kind of wattage does your heatgun supply? And if you've got the adjustable type did you close the vent up to go to high heat?

The Wagner 2 speed 1200 watt one posted about a page ago. Not sure what vents you're talking about.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nwin posted:

The Wagner 2 speed 1200 watt one posted about a page ago. Not sure what vents you're talking about.

I have the same one. Is there anything else plugged into the outlet you're using? Are you going straight into the wall or a power strip?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

I have the same one. Is there anything else plugged into the outlet you're using? Are you going straight into the wall or a power strip?

Nope. But the outlet was made as an afterthought some time ago. The house was built in the sixties and none of the wiring has been updated. I noticed the same thing with the air popper, actually. I'm guessing dog bowl and heat gun wouldn't be something I'd want to try indoors. Might have to stick with the air popper until I move next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

nwin posted:

Ahh, I have the ~1700W wagner gun, to go to high heat you close the side vents.

nwin posted:

Nope. But the outlet was made as an afterthought some time ago. The house was built in the sixties and none of the wiring has been updated. I noticed the same thing with the air popper, actually. I'm guessing dog bowl and heat gun wouldn't be something I'd want to try indoors. Might have to stick with the air popper until I move next year.

You could run an extension cord from a circuit that has solid power too.