Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Line and WeChat are the bigger ones now. WhatsApp seems to have kind of fallen off a bit.

Also typhoon season is off to a great start - there's a good shot at one this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
That's what I was afraid of. I wish the FTAs would affect air fare too. Welp, anyway, Taiwan in a typhoon on vacation is still better than Korea in a typhoon on vacation.

I keep walking by our soysauce braised pig feet places in Korea and it reminds me of this distinct Taiwanese food smell. I smell it in the little bento like boxes on the train and in a lot of meat dishes. Sort of spiced soy and it's the most wonderful glee inducing thing.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Also typhoon season is off to a great start - there's a good shot at one this weekend.

Looks like it is quite a ways off, and the kind that will dissipate before it actually reaches the island. Still, that means the weather will probably be poo poo this weekend.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

Looks like it is quite a ways off, and the kind that will dissipate before it actually reaches the island. Still, that means the weather will probably be poo poo this weekend.

Better be enough rain to cancel my open house this Saturday morning.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm torn on that. Like I really feel like people should feel free to use their actual names - the world got over (or at least around) names like Thaksin Shinowatra, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, they'll learn to deal - but then I hear some ostensibly professional newsreader or whatever say "Li Kekiang" instead of "Li Keqiang" and I want to slap someone.

I think with a lot of these names, most people settle in on a "most correct mispronunciation" that everyone agrees to use. It's also a bit different since these guys aren't really trying to engage the English speaking world as an English speaker.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
RE: Hebe and Eason
Hebe is the "English" name of a singer from the group S.H.E., that's why there's quite a few women in Asia who picked that English name.
Also, Eason Chan is a singer from Hong Kong, hence the Easons.

hitension fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 11, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Random Taiwan news I found pretty funny/awkward:

So that Taiwanese doubles player won at Wimbledon, and China is offering fat stacks of cash for her to represent China, which apparently would involve her giving up Taiwanese citizenship as well, with Taiwan scrambling to figure out how to keep her in Taiwan. On Taiwan's side, the government gave her 100 sports-themed vases.(Apple Daily's the source unfortunately, one of you who can read properly can probably translate the article instead of using google/gf)

That pink thing on the right is in fact, the vase.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

Random Taiwan news I found pretty funny/awkward:

So that Taiwanese doubles player won at Wimbledon, and China is offering fat stacks of cash for her to represent China, which apparently would involve her giving up Taiwanese citizenship as well, with Taiwan scrambling to figure out how to keep her in Taiwan. On Taiwan's side, the government gave her 100 sports-themed vases.(Apple Daily's the source unfortunately, one of you who can read properly can probably translate the article instead of using google/gf)

That pink thing on the right is in fact, the vase.

Well, that's a nice... gesture. I guess. Wouldn't blame her for going to China for all that money, but she would be reviled in Taiwan if she accepted.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hey so I'm really behind the times telephone-wise and I bought both my first ever smart phone and my first ever phone plan only after I moved to Taiwan, don't make fun of me. If I want to buy a new phone and I'm halfway through a TW Mobile contract, can I just pop my SIM card into the new phone and have it, like, be my new phone and poo poo? Keep my contract and my number, just have a fancy new phone that isn't a busted-rear end old dog?

I tried this at my local Myfone, but they told me I wouldn't be able to get the discounted rate on the new phone. And the phones at Myfone are super expensive, so I walked out, but I know a place that sells pretty cheap phones, I just wanna know if it's as easy as just sliding my SIM card into the new phone.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you need to buy a phone now? The Xiaomi m3 is coming up soon and that means you can get a discount if you buy the current model xiaomi m2s. Price/performance wise knocks everyone else out.

quadrophrenic posted:

Hey so I'm really behind the times telephone-wise and I bought both my first ever smart phone and my first ever phone plan only after I moved to Taiwan, don't make fun of me. If I want to buy a new phone and I'm halfway through a TW Mobile contract, can I just pop my SIM card into the new phone and have it, like, be my new phone and poo poo? Keep my contract and my number, just have a fancy new phone that isn't a busted-rear end old dog?

That's pretty cool, that means you never switched phones, broke your phone, lost your phones, or impulsively bought new poo poo :rock:

Yeah, just switch the sim card into your new phone and people can still call you and stuff. If you want to transfer contacts from your old phone, there should be a menu items under settings, save your contacts to sim.

That way, when you do get a new phone, all your contacts remain. But that's so 2003 :downsrim:

Just have all your contacts managed under google contacts or some online address book. That way any changes you make on your phone or computer will be synchronized. Oh and install drop box/wechat/skype/PLECO (optical chinese character reader)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Plecos little camera chinese reader is the loving poo poo. Screw every century that did not have this piece of technology.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
All phones sold in Taiwan are factory unlocked by law so if the SIM card fits it will generally work. The major carriers in Taiwan require 2100 MHz for 3G data, which all but the jankiest of phones should have, check on GSM Arena just to be sure though.

edit: If my government gave me those rear end-ugly vases as thanks, I'd consider defecting just to teach them a lesson.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 10, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

That vase got back.

Also, TYPHOON INC.

Latest update has it dipping south of what was previously estimated, landing in Yilan and going right through Taipei. Should start feeling it Thursday night.

Taiwan's weather bureau: http://www.cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm

Amalgamation of typhoon charts: http://www.typhoon2000.ph/multi/?name=SOULIK

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I bought the cheapest of cheap smartphones when I landed, an Xperia X8, and I am so loving sick of its poo poo, and I just want something that will run a version of Android that's less than 3 years old and can do things like run Pleco and poo poo, and I don't want to wait another year to get a discount. So I don't really need a 1080p display and a quad-core processor, I just want a phone that's not a gimp and I wish someone had held my hand when I bought my first big-boy phone. :(

Mostly Pleco. All my friends have Pleco and it's great and I h8 u Google Translate.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for this shill post. Being in Taiwan and China, it's great we can easily get a top dog for half price from the market.

If you posted in the forums I'm sure people would have helped :eng101: I thought you used a Nokia or something. To be honest smart phones nowadays are just passable. Couple years back they sucked compared to PC's. You do want quad core, and high resolution screens though. Nowadays web content is being altered for retina resolution, apps use more CPU and bloat, and high speed data requires faster CPU as well. A flagship phone now will last 2 years while a cheap entry level won't last as long. It's more expensive but you get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

Don't buy contract phones or get locked into a contract. You don't really save any money and pay more in the long term. Luckily, in general parts of East Asia, there's no phone locking bull poo poo.

tldr: Just buy a Xiaomi m2s and have it delivered to your office.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Last call for Poker Night:

quote:

Poker on Wednesday July 10 @ 8:00pm
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url, myself, some other goons and non-goons will be there, my number is 0920283112 and url's: 0970 22 99 02

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you don't care too much about a wide library of apps, Windows Phones are actually really good and usually pretty cheap. Most of the must-have apps are there.

I'd have a windows phone if I could :(

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

If you don't care too much about a wide library of apps, Windows Phones are actually really good and usually pretty cheap. Most of the must-have apps are there.

I gotta agree that after seeing a winphone, they're pretty nice provided you don't care about apps.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Magna Kaser posted:

duckfarts posted:

I gotta agree that after seeing a winphone, they're pretty nice provided you don't care about apps.

:glomp:

I got a Nokia 920 and it's great. Another dude at work got the smaller 820(I think) and he's super happy too.
The apps thing isn't really a bugbear for me, but, I don't know if I'm a typical use case.
I really don't care about angry birds. While it was fun to poke about the Play store and grab the random free apps - most of them were deleted around 10 minutes after install, or just forgotten about.

That said, I haven't seen an actual bona-fide native RDP tool yet, and that's a bit annoying.
(there are a couple of paid apps, but in the main they're not that great from what I can tell)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Am I gonna be able to pick out who you are or is this place gonna be inexplicably packed with goony-lookin laowai?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Double post

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I think most Android users won't really notice much of a change, to be honest. The only app I use on a regular basis that isn't a weird app I use for work and doesn't have a Windows version is Pleco, I think? People coming from an iPhone will probably notice it a great deal more since the difference between the iOS store and Google Play isn't that dissimilar from that between GP and Windows in some ways.

If you've never had a smartphone and don't have your eyes on any particular apps, I'd totally go windows. If you wanna play games, though, nothing comes close to iOS at the moment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
FWIW: USDA took all my money and we are no longer on speaking terms!

Fun was had by all I think.

Next up: 7th August 8PM kick off, which gives me enough time to replace the shirt on my back!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

All the typhoon trackers are now converging right over Taipei. The storm is huge too. Supposedly we will start feeling it tonight, so Friday and Saturday will most likely be canceled.

http://www.typhoon2000.ph/multi/?name=SOULIK

Hope you have enough noodles and beer to hold yourself over.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
7-11 tends to stay open and it's immediately outside my apartment. Should be a good time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
All those typhoons in Taiwan? You can blame Li Ka shing. He has a super force field deflecting all typhoons away from Hong Kong. That way, no one can ever have a day off :staredog:

I mean look at this :wtf: :wtf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_C_Lik-cheung

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Where is our crusader? We have another foreigner up to no good! http://www.ettoday.net/news/20130711/239232.htm?from=fb_share_web

This guy actually subbed at a school I work at and the police were there last week looking for him. Looks like they found him!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

thegoat posted:

Where is our crusader? We have another foreigner up to no good! http://www.ettoday.net/news/20130711/239232.htm?from=fb_share_web

This guy actually subbed at a school I work at and the police were there last week looking for him. Looks like they found him!

Ran that through google translate and this amused me particularly. "For up to one year, until 10 at night, Edward was arrested because of his case, was freed MILF to end this horrible exotic romance ."

RELEASE THE MILF!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

thegoat posted:

Following the previously discussed pattern, this is the first I've heard of it.

Whoa, article says the guy was 25... :tinfoil:

e: whew, 1 year off, so that's a relief

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dude looks like he probably subscribed to PUA poo poo.

And man, reading the comments makes me start to sympathize with our Uncaped Crusader, except then I realize I'll never meet these people, they will never mean poo poo to me, and they're pretty much all bitter assholes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone want to post a TLDR version for those of us who don't feel like translating word by word?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone want to post a TLDR version for those of us who don't feel like translating word by word?

Canadian douchebag on expired passport with anger management issues meets Kaohsiung woman online, moves in with her, beats her and cheats on her, makes gently caress tapes, "threatened her with sexual slavery", picks fights with people outside too, cops discover his passport's toast, he goes on the run, cops find him teaching in Kaohsiung, Dongsen uses this as opportunity to blow an entire wind section's worth of dogwhistles.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Also something in there about him facing definite prison time I think.

Good times!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So with only Yilan left to announce, no typhoon day tomorrow anywhere else.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

So with only Yilan left to announce, no typhoon day tomorrow anywhere else.

Yeah that's a let down. I have class until 9pm.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would personally prefer that we don't have typhoon days. I actually want to teach tomorrow and Saturday.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I would personally prefer that we don't have typhoon days. I actually want to teach tomorrow and Saturday.

Kindy graduation?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Did those two weeks ago. I'm in summer camp hours and I don't want to lose out on five perfectly good hours of work.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Moon Slayer posted:

Kindy graduation?

Just oral tests for the next two days. And I like the kids in those classes and promised them I would bring in my erhu (that I just bought on a whim and haven't opened since.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Bad English names watch; some guy on a quiz show is named Saker.