Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

I had infinitely more fun playing the NWN1 OC than the NWN2 OC.

Just sayin'.

Ditto. I absolutely love the first chapter of NWN1, even though I'll agree that the rest of the OC is pretty terrible and repetitive.

I can't stand NWN2's propensity for forcing you to group with annoying characters like Grobnar or Shandra just so you can advance plot lines. Realistically, my female Blackguard would've chopped Bishop's balls off and shoved them down his throat for all of his insulting backtalk, but somehow Obsidian failed to give me that particular dialogue option. And that doesn't even address the issue that taking along so many extra NPCs kills any pretense of challenge for the vast majority of the game's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Brave New World posted:

Ditto. I absolutely love the first chapter of NWN1, even though I'll agree that the rest of the OC is pretty terrible and repetitive.

:psyduck: did you play the same OC as us? The Orc Caves aren't terrible and repetitive, but the Trial, Crossroads Keep, Jerro's Haven, etc. are?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

:psyduck: did you play the same OC as us? The Orc Caves aren't terrible and repetitive, but the Trial, Crossroads Keep, Jerro's Haven, etc. are?

He said NWN1. Personally, I found NWN1 mostly terrible with some pretty good ideas(the ghost village thing) and NWN2 pretty good with some really awful and really brilliant parts.

And it looks like Neverwinter Vault is back up. I had hopes that the release of Neverwinter Nights on Good Old Games would have brought a new surge of content, but it looks like its not be.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Brave New World posted:

I never liked the fact that you can't have a party in NWN1 and the fact that you lacked real control of your hireling. With a Wizard you could take the barbarian hireling and use a fairy familiar (which you fully control) as a rogue (a cleric was less necessary since you could rest and fully heal whenever you wanted) so you could have close to a party but otherwise it was rather limited. And at least the barbarian was a class which was simple enough to be able to run with the commands verbal you can issue; the lack of precise control was much more annoying with spellcasters and rogues.

Overall I have to say I enjoyed much more the NWN2 OC than the NWN1, though the former did have a pretty bad ending.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am curious: for those who are fans of the NWN1OC, what aspects did you enjoy?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am curious: for those who are fans of the NWN1OC, what aspects did you enjoy?

I'm kind of curious as well. I actually enjoyed the nwn2 oc. Sure, act one was a little repetitive with the orc caves, but the trial more than made up for it and MOTB owns. Is it worth picking up nwn1 from gog for a play through?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zarfol posted:

I'm kind of curious as well. I actually enjoyed the nwn2 oc. Sure, act one was a little repetitive with the orc caves, but the trial more than made up for it and MOTB owns. Is it worth picking up nwn1 from gog for a play through?

It is, but not for it's OC. The NWN1 expansions are where it's at.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Started playing the NWN2 OC today. Played through the crypts where you meet Commander Tann and saved his two men. Forgot to save before exiting the dungeon though. Ended up being slaughtered by Captain Vallis as I returned to Forte Locke. Replayed the dungeon and saved, but Vallis killed us all again.

I took out his two men easily enough, but he hits for about 25HP per swing. Is it feasible to win this fight, or are you meant to try and talk your way out of it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lolasaurusrex posted:

Started playing the NWN2 OC today. Played through the crypts where you meet Commander Tann and saved his two men. Forgot to save before exiting the dungeon though. Ended up being slaughtered by Captain Vallis as I returned to Forte Locke. Replayed the dungeon and saved, but Vallis killed us all again.

I took out his two men easily enough, but he hits for about 25HP per swing. Is it feasible to win this fight, or are you meant to try and talk your way out of it?

It's winnable. You can talk your way out of fighting his two goons though, and instead get them to help you fight the commander if you're having trouble.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's winnable. You can talk your way out of fighting his two goons though, and instead get them to help you fight the commander if you're having trouble.

That's what I'm going to try. I'm currently installing some of the mods that were recommended, I need the AI to stop acting suicidal before I can sit down and play through this whole game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So I thought of doing another playthrough of NWN2 and considered using the Plot Fixes, but I'm just not very sure. On one hand things like fixes to challenge rating or attribute checks are great to have, but on the other hand even with the Plot Fixes Fixes there are still some things on the list that seem unnecessary, like making Nasher's guards neutral to the Shadow Reaver so that the player has to kill it themselves. And looking at the readme the creator seems like he's throwing poo poo in/cutting stuff out as he pleases. So to those who have been using it, is it good or bad as a whole?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Plot fixes, even with fixes is a waste of time. The plot wasn't that broken to begin with.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Brave New World posted:

I can't stand NWN2's propensity for forcing you to group with annoying characters like Grobnar or Shandra just so you can advance plot lines.

Yeah, I hated this too. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but I liked the old Baldur's Gate way of doing things where it was just your immediate party and everyone else didn't matter and you generally didn't have party members forced in/out. It feels odd having a half dozen people sitting on their rear end in your base the whole time and the developers expecting the player to care about them. I don't think I ever used Grobnar, Bishop, Sand, Qara, or the forgettable Paladin guy unless the game forced them on me. It's even more bizarre since some of these characters defect to the bad guys at the end which wouldn't have been an issue if they weren't forcing their presence on you. I guess Sand is kind of acceptable since he plays into some of the non-combat plot stuff like the trial, but come on, why don't the rest of you bums get a life. :colbert:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, I hated this too. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but I liked the old Baldur's Gate way of doing things where it was just your immediate party and everyone else didn't matter and you generally didn't have party members forced in/out. It feels odd having a half dozen people sitting on their rear end in your base the whole time and the developers expecting the player to care about them. I don't think I ever used Grobnar, Bishop, Sand, Qara, or the forgettable Paladin guy unless the game forced them on me. It's even more bizarre since some of these characters defect to the bad guys at the end which wouldn't have been an issue if they weren't forcing their presence on you. I guess Sand is kind of acceptable since he plays into some of the non-combat plot stuff like the trial, but come on, why don't the rest of you bums get a life. :colbert:
You're definitely not alone in feeling that way.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've never played NWN2 or expansions before and I'm curious if the PC's race changes any of the dialog or content.

I'm thinking of rolling an Orc or Tiefling. If race changes nothing I might just roll a crazy human wizard then.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Red Mundus posted:

I've never played NWN2 or expansions before and I'm curious if the PC's race changes any of the dialog or content.

I'm thinking of rolling an Orc or Tiefling. If race changes nothing I might just roll a crazy human wizard then.

There are like... 3 dialogs that acknowledge Tieflings. No actual gameplay impact though.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I missed Guyven of the Road's bonechewer appearance, did I just gently caress myself over on that front or can I revisit the area and talk to him anyways? Nevermind I took care of it.

edit:

CaptainPsyko posted:

There are like... 3 dialogs that acknowledge Tieflings. No actual gameplay impact though.

It always struck me as funny that you could roll a 100 year old half-celestial with flaming hair and nobody seems to find it unusual that you're living with a foster parent or competing in a fair with people 1/5th your age.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 4, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Dumb Mod Search: Is there a mod out there that allows Zen Archery (Or the Kaedrin's added Intuitive Attack) to work with Ranged (/Melee) Touch attacks?

Seems like such an oversight, but it's a frustrating one that I am too dumb to fix, and can't find a fix for on the Vault/Nexus. :(

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

So pissed off with my computer right now.

Got to the part where you meet the lizardman outside Highcliff Castle ruins. I helped him save his friends like the paragon of virtue I am, brokered a deal between the village and the clan to not fight anymore, then turned in the other relevant quests. As soon as I got back to Highcliff to hop on a boat to Neverwinter the game crashed. Hadn't saved since entering the ruins.

F12 all day everyday.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I played the base NVN game ages ago, but haven't touched the expansion. Should I skip to HoTU or play SoU first?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I played the base NVN game ages ago, but haven't touched the expansion. Should I skip to HoTU or play SoU first?

Play SoU. It feeds directly into HotU, and the two form a complete story, for which you can use one character.

Also, playing SoU first means more Deekin, which is awesome because Deekin is awesome.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Another question: I've been playing the beginning of SoU and I really like it...is multiclassing viable in this game? I've started off as a monk, but I think I'd like to try the dragon's disciple prestige class. I'm at level...four or five now. Can I take a level in bard/sorcerer and then a level in dragon's disciple, or will my PC be gimped?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

Another question: I've been playing the beginning of SoU and I really like it...is multiclassing viable in this game? I've started off as a monk, but I think I'd like to try the dragon's disciple prestige class. I'm at level...four or five now. Can I take a level in bard/sorcerer and then a level in dragon's disciple, or will my PC be gimped?
Multiclassing can be viable, but if you're not sure what you're doing, you can gimp yourself.

In the build you're suggesting, for example, you're giving away some of the Monk's unarmed damage progression and immunities for a lovely 1x-per-rest fireball and some stats. I wouldn't think it'd be worth it in NWN1 or if you were building towards a punchy monk in general.

If you were playing NWN2 and going for an obscene dual-kama flurry-of-blows kind of character, there is a build that would have you covered.
But I think NWN1 has a hard cap of either 5 or 6 attacks per round, which rules that right out for you. Plus, you'd have to have building towards it since the very beginning for it to work.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 7, 2013

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Random Hajile posted:

Multiclassing can be viable, but if you're not sure what you're doing, you can gimp yourself.

In the build you're suggesting, for example, you're giving away some of the Monk's unarmed damage progression and immunities for a lovely 1x-per-rest fireball and some stats. I wouldn't think it'd be worth it in NWN1 or if you were building towards a punchy monk in general.

If you were playing NWN2 and going for an obscene dual-kama flurry-of-blows kind of character, there is a build that would have you covered.
But I think NWN1 has a hard cap of either 5 or 6 attacks per round, which rules that right out for you. Plus, you'd have to have building towards it since the very beginning for it to work.

Oh well...I do wish there was some neat monkish prestige classes though.

EDIT: If I try using non-kama weapons with my monk, will I get my rear end handed to me?

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 7, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Radio Talmudist posted:

EDIT: If I try using non-kama weapons with my monk, will I get my rear end handed to me?
Fighter is more fun than monk for the most part, unless you are dedicated to a full-monk build. Theres a variety of arms/armor to mess around with and the fighter (and their huge piles of feats) can play with almost of them.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Fighter is more fun than monk for the most part, unless you are dedicated to a full-monk build. Theres a variety of arms/armor to mess around with and the fighter (and their huge piles of feats) can play with almost of them.

As much as I love being an unarmed killing machine, I kind of dislike my not being able to use the huge badass weapons I keep finding. Would a monk-fighter hybrid work? Or maybe there's another class I should consider?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Oh well...I do wish there was some neat monkish prestige classes though.

At that point, there's no reason to be a monk.

You may want to look at the PRC for NWN, which adds a ton of base and prestige classes.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

The point of kamas is that they are the only dual-wieldable weapon in NWN1/2 that work with flurry of blows (technically, quarterstaves are monk weapons and you should be able to use them a as 1d6/1d6 dual weapons, but you can't do that in NWN1/2), so if you get/craft some heavily damage-enchanted ones, you can unleash a truly inspiring amount of pain.

A medium-sized race's monk fists scale to 1d20 with 20 levels of monk in NWN (in NWN2, it's 2d10 /w 20 monk levels and up to 3d10 /w 28 levels of monk). The point being, if you're not dual wielding, then after a few levels, monk fists have significantly higher base damage than all other weapons and can swing more often due to flurry of blows.

At obscene levels of strength, the 1.5x ST modifier damage bonus combined with better critical properties for scythes, two-handed swords, or greataxes might win out, but if that's what you're aiming for, fighter/barbarian/weapon master/RDD/whatever builds are much more suited to take advantage of it.

CaptainPsyko is right in that if you're not using fists or kamas, there's not much point in having any levels in monk.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 7, 2013

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Fair point. I might stick to a pure Monk build.

On a complete tangent, I'm having issues with a particular quest in SoU. I'm collecting those four artifacts in the beginning of the game and I am currently exploring that magical labyrinth past the gnoll case, with the four elementals. And I'm getting my rear end handed to me. I set the difficult to easy and am popping potions like crazy, but I am still finding the dungeon extremely difficult. And now I've encountered these earth mephits that are apparently invulernable to any weapon I try to use! (I'm an unarmed monk). Am I underleveled or something?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Radio Talmudist posted:

On a complete tangent, I'm having issues with a particular quest in SoU. I'm collecting those four artifacts in the beginning of the game and I am currently exploring that magical labyrinth past the gnoll case, with the four elementals. And I'm getting my rear end handed to me. I set the difficult to easy and am popping potions like crazy, but I am still finding the dungeon extremely difficult. And now I've encountered these earth mephits that are apparently invulernable to any weapon I try to use! (I'm an unarmed monk). Am I underleveled or something?

Just go explore another area and come back when you've leveled up a bit and have better equipment. Worst case, grab one of the henchmen; their spells should be able to help.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

isndl posted:

Just go explore another area and come back when you've leveled up a bit and have better equipment. Worst case, grab one of the henchmen; their spells should be able to help.

Figured this was what I had to do, thanks!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A Link That Should Probably Go in the OP:

NWN2 Stock Character Builds

The more hardcore folks at the nwn2db made a listing of baseline builds for the most common class combos/build concepts, as well as some solid level 30 single class yardstick builds for anything you might want to do.

If you want a build for NWN2 and are afraid of loving anything up, this is about as good as it gets; none of them use kpack stuff or weird exploits, and all of them are solidly 1-30 playable.

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
So does anyone still play NWN1/2 multiplayer? I never got a chance to try it out when I first owned it and now have an urge to coop through one of the campaigns with someone.

Lipton Iced Soup fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 10, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

CaptainPsyko posted:

A Link That Should Probably Go in the OP:

NWN2 Stock Character Builds

The more hardcore folks at the nwn2db made a listing of baseline builds for the most common class combos/build concepts, as well as some solid level 30 single class yardstick builds for anything you might want to do.

If you want a build for NWN2 and are afraid of loving anything up, this is about as good as it gets; none of them use kpack stuff or weird exploits, and all of them are solidly 1-30 playable.

Thanks! That's been added to both the first post NWN2 Resources list and into the Highly Recommended of the mods section for high visibility. :)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Without spoiling anything, can anyone tell me if plot decisions from the OC carry over to MotB? I just got to the shadow theater re-visit, where you first see all those portals and talk to the gargoyle dudes. I ask because until about an hour ago I didn't know you had to manually import your old characters so I'm starting this campaign out with a fresh new level 1 18 character and I don't know how well MotB reflects the decisions I actually made in the last campaign (assuming it does at all).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Without spoiling anything, can anyone tell me if plot decisions from the OC carry over to MotB? I just got to the shadow theater re-visit, where you first see all those portals and talk to the gargoyle dudes. I ask because until about an hour ago I didn't know you had to manually import your old characters so I'm starting this campaign out with a fresh new level 1 18 character and I don't know how well MotB reflects the decisions I actually made in the last campaign (assuming it does at all).

Not really no. It does have certain conversations where you'll tell characters what happened though, so it doesn't completely ignore the OC.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Amazing thread

Neverwinter has had a long run of greatness!

A great archive of NWN-AOL materials
http://www.bladekeep.com/nwn/index2.htm

I think they had the original goon spirit there with the KAAOS guild "Killing as an organized sport" who had a knack for causing mayhem and had the skills to justify the attitude.
Heck PvP there was never intended and figured out by players within the game mechanics, it could only be done indirectly and with spells, hence everyone ended up being a clam (cleric and magic user)

NW's were the game mods

Here is a good article on it, my favorite quote: (I ended up having to work as an AOL tech support peon to pay for my NWN addiction! Pure exploitation on AOLs part but well worth it.

"Here's a question for you: How much do you really, really have to love a game to pay $8.00 an hour to play it" Yah NWN-AOL cost a fortune to play!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/11/23/the-game-archaeologist-and-the-nights-of-old-winter/

J4Gently fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 15, 2013

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Lipton Iced Soup posted:

So does anyone still play NWN1/2 multiplayer? I never got a chance to try it out when I first owned it and now have an urge to coop through one of the campaigns with someone.

I do! Both the campaigns are immensely fun to go through in co-op, due to the highly mockable MST3K nature of the second and due to the kind-of-freeform set-up of the first.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Stuck on the final battle of MotB, I assume it's a bug. For some reason the clones seem to have trouble spawning. I got the first three to spawn after awhile but the last one won't come out and until he does Akachi's invincible.

Disregard that, just restored the screen and now he shows up fine, weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing

TerminusEst13 posted:

I do! Both the campaigns are immensely fun to go through in co-op, due to the highly mockable MST3K nature of the second and due to the kind-of-freeform set-up of the first.

Nice! If you have steam throw me a friend invite at http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980829800/

If not then we could find a time to get on Mumble and set something up.

• Locked thread