Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I’m Southern and my family is a mix of Dutch, Irish and German. That passive aggressive, guilt thing is pretty much how my entire remaining family communicates. If everyone is gathered in the same room, we all get along wonderfully. Once we split up though that’s when the behind the back talking starts. “Did ya hear about your cousin? His drinking problem is back. I’m sure he’ll blab to some doctor about who unhappy he is.” Stuff like that.

Or more recently, I took a week’s vacation to go back home a visit which I do twice a year. I drive 600 miles one way, spend over $1,000 in travel expenses (gas, hotels, dog boarding, etc.) and buy everyone lunches and dinners while I’m there. When I get back, I have emails from parents going on about how they never get to spend time with me. Meanwhile, no one in my family has even come up to visit me in 5 years.
I’m not Italian at all but this show always spoke with me that way. Livia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Snark posted:

Yeah my Italian relatives definitely color the way I look at the interactions. If you're not used to it, it can be jarring, I'm sure.

That type of confrontational yelling can actually be a great thing. They're screaming at you because they love you, and don't want you to get hurt, and you need to hear that, you big dope. Notice that the truly manipulative and self-serving women on the show, like Livia and Janice, do their damage with subtle conversation shifts or whispering in an ear. Actual face to face yelling has a certain honesty to it.

Hah, I'm the same way. My family yells constantly, every dinner almost always escalates into shouting about something or other. I hadn't even noticed it was weird until I started eating over at my friends houses when I was like 15/16 that weren't Italian, but were English, German, Jewish etc. They always mentioned it when they ate with us too.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Artie running into the car and locking all the doors when that mini-riot kicked off at the Christopher Columbus protest was probably his finest moment on the show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ooooooooooooo! Wolfgang Fuckface!

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

haljordan posted:

Artie running into the car and locking all the doors when that mini-riot kicked off at the Christopher Columbus protest was probably his finest moment on the show.

I really liked him trying to be "hip" and dancing in the Crazy Horse when it first opened. It's not a major scene but I crack up every time I see it now.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

kippa posted:

I really liked him trying to be "hip" and dancing in the Crazy Horse when it first opened. It's not a major scene but I crack up every time I see it now.

Is that before or after he got the ridiculous earring?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

haljordan posted:

I'm pretty sure it was his rehearsing his tough-guy lines when he went to collect from the French dude, and then loving it all up and getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

haljordan posted:

Is that before or after he got the ridiculous earring?

After, I think. I'm pretty sure he was wearing it during that horrible attempt to hit on Adriana at a "going away" dinner when she left Vesuvio.

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 11, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Jean-Philippe, you're home. Qu'est-ce que c'est, man? Message machine broken?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"Ralph's kid plays the dumbest game in the world" is my second-favorite part of the old 7-minute refresher video (followed by the "still fat" which punctuates every Baccala appearance)

I watched this today after seeing you post about it and its brilliant. It really is the dumbest thing ever it kind of takes me out of the show. No kid is that loving stupid.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

From the angle of the arrow lodged in his chest, I assume they just shot it straight up in the air and watched it come down?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Scott Bakula posted:

I watched this today after seeing you post about it and its brilliant. It really is the dumbest thing ever it kind of takes me out of the show. No kid is that loving stupid.

I dunno, Jackie Jr. nearly drowned in 3 inches of water. And played "THE" in Scrabble.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I dunno, Jackie Jr. nearly drowned in 3 inches of water. And played "THE" in Scrabble.

When did he almost drown in 3 inches of water? Also, he was trying to get the game over so he could cheat on Meadow, I think. Still, he should've used bigger words to get rid of his pieces quicker. He was definitely an idiot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

escape artist posted:

Also, he was trying to get the game over so he could cheat on Meadow, I think.

Probably the dumbest thing anyone in the Sopranos could do really

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Scott Bakula posted:

Probably the dumbest thing anyone in the Sopranos could do really

Besides trying to rob the card game and killing Sunshine and shooting Furio. Jackie Jr.'s death was so satisfying.

I just realized, in his final days, he hung out with Omar from The Wire learning the rules of chess. :aaa: Jackie should've realized he was just a pawn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It would have been interesting to see Tony react to her being dumped had she not wanted to do anything other than annoy him really

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Scott Bakula posted:

It would have been interesting to see Tony react to her being dumped had she not wanted to do anything other than annoy him really

It would have.

Remember that talk she tried to have with Tony about Finn's lack of interest in sex? :v: That was a great, laugh-out-loud moment.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What do you guys make of the long background arc of "Agent Harris has a parasite"? It was constantly mentioned for his final two or three seasons, as I recall. I took it to be a metaphor for how everyone in Tony's sphere of influence is corrupted and begins to rot, as we see with Agent Harris getting more involved with Tony's life and eventually being directly responsible for Phil's death. The only problem with that is that he explicitly got the parasite while doing foreign work on his new assignment, complicating the metaphor. Is there another interpretation that I'm missing?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Mahoning posted:

Jean-Philippe, you're home. Qu'est-ce que c'est, man? Message machine broken?

God, as I was reading that I heard him saying it in my head and I couldn't help but cringe.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tender Bender posted:

What do you guys make of the long background arc of "Agent Harris has a parasite"? It was constantly mentioned for his final two or three seasons, as I recall. I took it to be a metaphor for how everyone in Tony's sphere of influence is corrupted and begins to rot, as we see with Agent Harris getting more involved with Tony's life and eventually being directly responsible for Phil's death. The only problem with that is that he explicitly got the parasite while doing foreign work on his new assignment, complicating the metaphor. Is there another interpretation that I'm missing?

That's a good question.

I just took it as something that led to a few funny scenes, like him puking in the car and "I hope the parasite eats his rear end in a top hat out".

Never thought about it deeper than that.

Was it really two or three seasons long? I thought it was just in Season 6A. I really only remember it being in episode 1 of that season.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

escape artist posted:

When did he almost drown in 3 inches of water?

It wasn't on screen. I think Tony says it after Jackie Jr. dies. He was trying to convey how dumb he always was and mentions that when he was little he almost drowned in 3 in of water.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mahoning posted:

It wasn't on screen. I think Tony says it after Jackie Jr. dies. He was trying to convey how dumb he always was and mentions that when he was little he almost drowned in 3 in of water.

Indeed, Tony talks about it with Junior. It happened at the penguin enclosure :3:

And the Scrabble thing was definitely to highlight how dumb Jackie is. It happens directly sfter Meadow's roommates talk about how dumb he is, and Meadow defends him in typical melodramatic fashion.

Also, re: Agent Harris' parasite. I sort of thought of it as the corrupting influence of Tony, and a metaphor for US involvement in the Middle East and the "War on Terror" leading to corruption within the homeland, erosion of civil liberties, etc. Might be a bit fanciful, but death of the author and all that.

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 11, 2013

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jacks also played the word "poo".

Oh and "rear end. As in how about giving me some?"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bonzo posted:

Jacks also played the word "poo".

Oh and "rear end. As in how about giving me some?"

And then she says no, and he keeps pressing her. He's such a douche bag. I'd be interested in knowing specifically how Season 3 was going to play out if Nancy Merchand had lived. Would Jackie Jr. just be a tiny subplot, rather than a huge one?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
If Nancy Marchand lived, Livia's story in Season 3 would be about Tony trying to get her to not testify about the airline ticket incident at the end of Season 2.

Not sure about Jackie Jr. though.

Sassy Not Classy
Dec 21, 2007

I'm not hearing a No.
I remember watching a behind the scenes DVD extra thing where David Chase said that they had originally planned on killing off Livia at the end of the first season, but Nancy Marchand was so great in that role and she was so powerful to Tony that they decided to keep her on for one more season. I doubt they would have kept her on much past season 2 even if she had lived.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Chase had also said he didn't really see the show going past 3 seasons (but that was when her testifying would have been in the last one).

Livia being pitted against Tony by the law is something so monumental it's season defining and would entangle most every character. The fact season 3 is so disconnected with these "slice of life" and FBI hijinks episodes really speaks to how big that story would have been.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder how confused someone watching for the first time might be at the idea of being able to buy/steal a plane ticket and just hand it over to anyone to use.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Chase had also said he didn't really see the show going past 3 seasons (but that was when her testifying would have been in the last one).

Livia being pitted against Tony by the law is something so monumental it's season defining and would entangle most every character. The fact season 3 is so disconnected with these "slice of life" and FBI hijinks episodes really speaks to how big that story would have been.

I also wonder if Robert Patrick would be more involved with the show if that happened, since the tickets were bought as part of his store's liquidation.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
"Jamal Ginsberg the Hasidic homeboy" is still one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

tbp posted:

"Jamal Ginsberg the Hasidic homeboy" is still one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life
I never don't laugh a lot at that line

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I never don't laugh a lot at that line

The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am... it's gonna be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am... it's gonna be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.

Everything Lil' Carmine comes out with is solid gold. And him and Christopher are a great double act when they're stalking "Sir Kingsley".

In fact it speaks to how talented Michael Imperioli is that he works great as a duo with both Lil Carmine, and separately with Paulie. And then to have such a great dynamic with Adriana.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Everything Lil' Carmine comes out with is solid gold. And him and Christopher are a great double act when they're stalking "Sir Kingsley".

Kingsley's "gently caress" as he sees Chris on the plane is the single funniest word in the entire show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

tbp posted:

Hasid'em but I don't belive 'em

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I also wonder if Robert Patrick would be more involved with the show if that happened, since the tickets were bought as part of his store's liquidation.

Poor T-1000 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLibuybOC1w

I wonder if the "Davey....You're doing a good job" line was ad-libbed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Everything Lil' Carmine comes out with is solid gold.

It's because he's at a precipice of an enormous crossroads.

And to quote Albert Barese: He's in no position to go into the unknown not knowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3Nvi5vVxw

One of my favourite scenes.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Don't give me your Manson lamps!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Got 4 episodes into our newest re-watch today. Watching Tony grab his chest and collapse in the pilot is a little rougher than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm sure everyone reading this thread knows everything about it, but I found this handy video that explains the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjviymV08c8

I always knew what it was meant to portray, but some of the symbolism suggested by this guy went right over my head.

• Locked thread