Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Woo, got my e-mail from Jana, asked her a couple questions and here's what she said:

quote:

The class is conducted entirely online asynchronously. This means you are able to study at your own pace, and view the lecture videos and other uploaded course materials at your convenience. The labs are also conducted online, and your instructor will give you further information once class starts. I will need to know if you want the spot by Wednesday, July 10th by 5pm.

Not sure if she just made up the date because I was foolish enough to ask but if you're interested you better get it in gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that's the date I had in my email as well. I think that's when she moves on to the next batch of names on the waiting list.

My understanding is that this is still the 5.0 ICM course based on the textbook that the people on techexams.net are claiming they used last. The books are apparently also entirely optional since everything you need is available online. I'll play it by ear and see if I need to buy them or not come day one.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 9, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

hackedaccount posted:

Woo, got my e-mail from Jana, asked her a couple questions and here's what she said:

Not sure if she just made up the date because I was foolish enough to ask but if you're interested you better get it in gear.
When did you get on the wait list?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Are there still issues going on with vSphere SSO and child/parent domain ESX Admins group permissions not propagating correctly?

We have a child domain that the vCenter server is a member of, with members of the 'ESX Admins' being properly authenticated and allowed to manage the vCenter server/hosts. The parent domain, however, has no such luck. Even after I add the parent domain as an Identity Provider in SSO and assign it's ESX Admins group as a member of Administrators, members of that domain can authenticate, but the permissions don't work correctly and they cannot see any vCenter server at all.

I just went through all the pain (it wasn't really much pain :) ) to update vCenter to the latest release, under the assumption that these issues had been fixed.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: So I see what's wrong...when running the 'ssocli configure-riat --verbose -a discover-is -u admin -p password' command as a test, it finds the one local (child) domain, but it can't properly communicate with the parent domain. It knows about it, but all of the information it needs to add it as an IS is blank.

I was under the impression that the child DC actually contains a copy of the GC of the parent domain (which SSO could theoretically use as opposed to connecting directly to the parent domain), is that not the case?

I'll have to talk with our network guys tomorrow to see if we can open access to that DC and fix the issue...

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 9, 2013

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I have a client who wants to run a virtualized video product, Lifesize UVC Clear Sea, but they're a "Mac shop" with no virtualization infrastructure, so they're trying to go with something like this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/394841/Mac_Pro_MD771LL-A_Desktop_Computer

I'm not really enthusiastic about being expected to help support the virtualized product (with which I'm at least familiar) on an aging HW platform, plus the fact that ESX will replace the existing OS means them being a Mac shop shouldn't matter, right? If anything, a Dell tower server would be newer and consume less energy than the 45nm chips in those vintage Mac Pros. I doubt any argument I provide will prevail, but I'm hopeful.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
ESXi might(probably won't) not even be supported to install ESXi.I would definitely look into a Dell Tower, or HP ML tower.

Keep in mind many video editing programs need GPU acceleration, in which ESXi might not be the best choice unless you are going with VMware view you might not have access to the advanced vSGA driver for GPU acceleration.

Is the product a windows install or Mac install?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Martytoof posted:

That's still a really good price. Online?

It's actually been like a year and change since I even touched vSphere so this will actually be a re-learning experience for me. Hopefully for $180-something I get a good instructor online. Time to go pick up some CBT either way.

Nah, local community college system here in San Antonio got a decent sized NSF grant to teach Virtualization courses. They have Hyper-V, VMware, and OpenStack next semester. I'm taking it as a Continuing Ed student. Unfortunately my Tuesday night for 4 months is booked, but it'll be worth it I hope

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

unless you are going with VMware view you might not have access to the advanced vSGA driver for GPU acceleration.

View doesn't have a special driver that enables 3D. All View adds is PCoIP. The guest drivers for ESX/Workstation/Fusion are all the same. Although there will be slight differences and bug fixes and such.

If you are talking about the driver for ESX, it is on the nvidia site. http://www.nvidia.com/object/vmware-vsphere-esxi-5.1-304.76-driver.html

Unless they changed something, you shouldn't need View to use it. I connect to my ESX box with Workstation and use 3D all the time.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

View doesn't have a special driver that enables 3D. All View adds is PCoIP. The guest drivers for ESX/Workstation/Fusion are all the same. Although there will be slight differences and bug fixes and such.

If you are talking about the driver for ESX, it is on the nvidia site. http://www.nvidia.com/object/vmware-vsphere-esxi-5.1-304.76-driver.html

Unless they changed something, you shouldn't need View to use it. I connect to my ESX box with Workstation and use 3D all the time.

Ahh that is good to know I wasn't sure about that. Good to know!

Guess that makes more since after thinking about it, not sure what exactly I was thinking.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 9, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

demonachizer posted:

When did you get on the wait list?

April I think, but I heard about the whole thing pretty early and it wouldn't surprise me if it's filled up till 2015 by now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ESXi might(probably won't) not even be supported to install ESXi.I would definitely look into a Dell Tower, or HP ML tower.

You can install ESXi on a MacPro, but I can't imagine a scenario where it would be a preferable bare metal platform.

Oddhair: Even in the case of a "Mac shop", a single Dell workstation shouldn't be that big a deal. If you get a support contract with it then they don't even need to really support the hardware.

Speaking of ESXi on the Mac, I've got to get my own little lab together here in preparation for this ICM course. I've got an i7 Hackintosh with 12 gigs ram. Hopefully that's enough to run a basic virtualized esxi environment with a handful of VMs under Fusion.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 9, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

You can install ESXi on a MacPro, but I can't imagine a scenario where it would be a preferable bare metal platform.
Last time I checked you couldn't license OSX to run on non-fruit hardware.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Bah, dumb virtualization question time. Most of my VM experience was from helping manage VMware-based virtualized servers years ago so I'm totally behind on technology. I've purchased a new laptop (Dell XPS 12) and the processor has VT-x and VT-d extensions. I was already considering multi-booting it (Windows 8, ick, Linux, and experimentally, Android), and have a 256 GB drive so enough space to split it up as long as I don't go crazy installing games from Steam or something. However, the virtualization abilities have made me wonder if I would be better off with a hypervisor and VMs.

My initial research makes this is a bad idea, the common hypervisors like ESXi don't seem well suited for this task. Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? I could also consider using Windows 8 as the host, as it's more likely to need direct-hardware support (graphics acceleration, power management) where Linux will be used only for work (coding and the like) where a lack of perfect support is probably okay as long as it's functional. However, I hate windows and may not spend that much time in it, making that arrangement strange. It's an SSD as well, so rebooting may not be as painful as I'm worried it will be.

Basically I would like to be able to back up the entire OS easy (basically, back up the vm image), quickly switch between installed OSs (ideally an alt-tab sort of arrangement), and maybe even seamlessly move the images from one machine to another where the hypervisor is supported and installed, which I expect to be trivial but I could be wrong. I figured I should ask before I move in and get too comfy in the currently installed OS.

EDIT: Maybe a super-stripped down linux install and kvm? :v:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 10, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Last time I checked you couldn't license OSX to run on non-fruit hardware.

I don't know much about LifeSize ClearSea UVC something-or-other that he's trying to install, but some casual googling reveals that it's not an app that runs on MacOS, it's its own VM that runs on ESXi. So he'd be using the Mac as bare metal hardware to run a non-OSX environment under ESXi.

So basically he could run it on a MacPro, but other than "there's a picture of a fruit on the box and we're more comfortable with that", there's very little reason to pick the MacPro over something that's either on the HCL or a cheaper Dell server.

e: Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, if you NEEDED to run OSX, that's fair.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 10, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Delta-Wye posted:

Bah, dumb virtualization question time. Most of my VM experience was from helping manage VMware-based virtualized servers years ago so I'm totally behind on technology. I've purchased a new laptop (Dell XPS 12) and the processor has VT-x and VT-d extensions. I was already considering multi-booting it (Windows 8, ick, Linux, and experimentally, Android), and have a 256 GB drive so enough space to split it up as long as I don't go crazy installing games from Steam or something. However, the virtualization abilities have made me wonder if I would be better off with a hypervisor and VMs.

My initial research makes this is a bad idea, the common hypervisors like ESXi don't seem well suited for this task. Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? I could also consider using Windows 8 as the host, as it's more likely to need direct-hardware support (graphics acceleration, power management) where Linux will be used only for work (coding and the like) where a lack of perfect support is probably okay as long as it's functional. However, I hate windows and may not spend that much time in it, making that arrangement strange. It's an SSD as well, so rebooting may not be as painful as I'm worried it will be.

Basically I would like to be able to back up the entire OS easy (basically, back up the vm image), quickly switch between installed OSs (ideally an alt-tab sort of arrangement), and maybe even seamlessly move the images from one machine to another where the hypervisor is supported and installed, which I expect to be trivial but I could be wrong. I figured I should ask before I move in and get too comfy in the currently installed OS.

EDIT: Maybe a super-stripped down linux install and kvm? :v:

Keep windows installed and then buy VMware workstation. You can put all your Linux, ESXi, Windows and what not running in workstation in it without any gripes from windows.

For discounts just like their FB page they give them all the time https://www.facebook.com/vmwareworkstation?fref=ts

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, Workstation. Or use VirtualBox, since it may be a bit more android-friendly, depending on what VMs you've got in your hands.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if you want to just play around with other OS, virtualbox is the best solution imo. If you want hypervisor experience, Linux with KVM, Linux with Xen, or Windows 8 with Hyper-V will all be good platforms for a regularly used PC.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I've got this weird issue where every upgrade (whether to 5.1 or 5.1u1) from 4.1, 5.0, or 5.1, results in a PSOD, non-bootable, not able to boot recovery kernel error. Happening on both R410s and R610s. Really annoying when the machine is in another state and I have to work PXE to reinstall and reconfigure it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
What's the PSOD? Maybe post a screenshot?
Consider updating firmware in case a newer included driver is unhappy with the driver/firmware combination, too. And/or the BIOS. But depending on the PSOD, it could be a lot of things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There goes my plan of reducing VM's from 4 vCPU to 1 vCPU. Almost every server has some stupid program where the license or activation key breaks and renders the program unusable when you change the amount of CPU's. Ugh.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Kachunkachunk posted:

What's the PSOD? Maybe post a screenshot?
Consider updating firmware in case a newer included driver is unhappy with the driver/firmware combination, too. And/or the BIOS. But depending on the PSOD, it could be a lot of things.

It's "boot image is corrupted - could not load multiboot"
I doubt it's a driver thing, since reinstalling fixes the issue.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yup, that message doesn't hint at drivers/firmware at all.
I think you'll need to provide an actual screenshot and/or file a case, however!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Keep in mind many video editing programs need GPU acceleration, in which ESXi might not be the best choice unless you are going with VMware view you might not have access to the advanced vSGA driver for GPU acceleration.

Is the product a windows install or Mac install?

Martytoof posted:

[url=http://www.marcoach.nl/esxi-51-on-mac-pro-31/]
Oddhair: Even in the case of a "Mac shop", a single Dell workstation shouldn't be that big a deal. If you get a support contract with it then they don't even need to really support the hardware.

This is kind of the angle I took, since ESX will replace the OS, and those W35xx CPUs are a little older. I said it will probably work fine, but I'm not their VMware guy one way or the other. I explained to the sales rep the way the HW whitelist works, and that a newer machine from Dell would be able to be supported by VMware should they opt for paid support. The UVC platform has a capacity planning thingy that shows generally what you'll need based on which features you want to unlock:

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Kachunkachunk posted:

Yup, that message doesn't hint at drivers/firmware at all.
I think you'll need to provide an actual screenshot and/or file a case, however!

I don't see what else you could tell from it, but:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Well, you were right about PSOD. Reading your post, I thought it was a typo.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Serfer posted:

I don't see what else you could tell from it, but:

The PSOD is useless other than grabbing your attention. Logs are required to get any help with a bug. Always include them when you file a ticket to support.

Delta-Wye posted:

Well, you were right about PSOD. Reading your post, I thought it was a typo.

Yup, that the VMware version of a BSOD. You certainly can't miss it.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

DevNull posted:

The PSOD is useless other than grabbing your attention. Logs are required to get any help with a bug. Always include them when you file a ticket to support.
Well, it's a bit tough to get logs when it's in this state. I can't boot to anything. I guess I could boot some linux live-usb and see what I could get...

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
You can sometimes get helpful information out of a PSOD. They come in a couple different levels of detail and sometimes will spit out a hex error code like 0xBAD#####.

This one could be either a bad disk or quite likely some funky memory. Consider PXE booting a memtest86+ or something on the machine and letting it run.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oi, that's a pain. I was hoping for at least a backtrace or something, but this is starting to seem unsurprising enough when there's a boot issue occurring. I'll do a bit of digging, but at least to get your problem looked at and fixed, a case needs to be filed. Let Support figure out how to accurately capture data.

Edit: Not finding much. Also troubleshooting will be a fun affair - you need to set up serial line logging (use DRAC or serial over IP if you have that ability via BMC). And any possible leads so far have showed it relates to PXE, but it does look like a software problem. Try to get a case filed on it if you can, but it'll be more helpful if you can get some intact serial line logging first:
For ESXi 5.0: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1033888.
For ESXi 5.1: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2032350.

If reinstalling is necessary, try to get one of these outputs to support so they can file a bug, or maybe set aside one host/image/repro.

Edit 2: Okay, nice on filing the case.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 10, 2013

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

1000101 posted:

You can sometimes get helpful information out of a PSOD. They come in a couple different levels of detail and sometimes will spit out a hex error code like 0xBAD#####.

This one could be either a bad disk or quite likely some funky memory. Consider PXE booting a memtest86+ or something on the machine and letting it run.
Yeah, I doubt all five machines I've done so far have bad disks or funky memory.

Well, I mean, they could, but it would be unlikely.

Edit: Also, I did file a case earlier this morning, they're looking into it.

Serfer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 10, 2013

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have any experience with KVM for linux virtual machines? Also has anyone used it to host a windows machine?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Stealthgerbil posted:

Anyone have any experience with KVM for linux virtual machines? Also has anyone used it to host a windows machine?

This simply works.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea it was a dumb question, I did research and windows server 2008 will probably run just fine using KVM for virtualization. Wasn't sure if it was mainly for linux only stuff :(

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Purely out of curiosity for myself what were some of the reasons you choose KVM?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I was going to pick between KVM or Xen to learn about linux virtualization and I heard that KVM works better with centOS 6.4 which is the distro that I am using. It seems ok so far because I installed cloudmin which makes managing it way easier. I have only used vmware workstation and hyper-V before this. Probably going to learn vmware ESXI next because I didn't realize they offered that when I rented my server. My plan is just to have a windows VM or two for hosting my game servers, a linux VM for running my web sites, DNS, and FTP stuff, and maybe a few more VMs for random stuff and testing.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

How important is vt-d in a beginner homelab?

I'm starting to pick out parts and i want it small and energy effecient so i might go with something like a Shuttle XH61V SFF.. Problem is the motherboard is H61, which does not support vt-d.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends how you want to do the storage. You need it to pass the controller to a VM.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Depends how you want to do the storage. You need it to pass the controller to a VM.

Heres a screenshot taken by a guy who has the same setup.. It looks to me like you can pass a disk through?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
For those in the know, how quickly can VMware become prohibitively expensive?

I kicked off a virtualization initiative about three months ago when our parent company decided to come in with a project to build almost 150 new instances of their software for testing, without really giving us a lot of heads up. I'm not really sure what they expected to happen because A: we don't have the power, cooling or data requirements to actually put in 150 new physical servers and B: We don't have 150 new servers to put in for testing.

Fortunately we did have some spare hardware that I was able to build a new VMware cluster on, and spec it out quite beefily (192GB RAM per host in a 3 host cluster). For now we are running on the vCenter Essentials kit (the 500 dollar one), and the higher-ups (my boss) are quite impressed as to what we accomplished on such short notice. There is now an initiative to virtualize most of our office servers (maybe 20-30 other servers) when we rebuild our network.

I understand that it would be quite a leap for them to go from a 500 dollar-per-cluster cost ( we already have hardware, mostly), having not really been paying anything for virtualization at the beginning of this year (we had maybe five or six standalone vSphere servers running a total of maybe 50 VMs), to 3 (planned) standalone vCenter Essentials clusters (w/ 3 hosts each) running in the office.

I'm curious to find out how prohibitive the cost is to go from that single, standalone vCenter Essentials cluster at 500 dollars, to something that would support 3 VMware clusters running on a single vCenter instance. Do the Essentials kits even support upgrading/adding on licenses that would allow you to add hosts or would you have to start at vSphere Standard and start using the scalable licensing?

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-kits.html