Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
I think a game set entirely WITHIN a country/empire would be interesting. So all the players are politicians, businessmen, mercenaries, etc within, say, the Roman Empire, with a CK2 treatment for characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

a bad enough dude posted:

I think a game set entirely WITHIN a country/empire would be interesting. So all the players are politicians, businessmen, mercenaries, etc within, say, the Roman Empire, with a CK2 treatment for characters.

Even in CK2 I think it's more fun being a greedy little shithead count than god emperor of everything.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Pakled posted:

Well, I think they could. I'm pretty sure Ancient Rome is more popular among a general audience than the Victorian Era.

I'm pretty sure Rome: Total War is the most successful Total War game, though I could be completely wrong. I can't imagine a Victorian era Total War game being as successful, and I guess CA feels the same way since instead of going to the next period in history from Napoleon they're making Rome 2.

Lord knows I'd buy a Paradox Rome game that got the same treatment CK2 and EUIV got. I played the poo poo out of R:TW back in the day and EU:Rome actually had some pretty neat ideas, so I'd love to see the new and improved Paradox have a go at the era.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I was playing a game as Victoria 2 as the Papal State, I became a Great Power, and had most of Italy sphered, and got to the late 1800s when suddenly I lost all of my provinces other than Rome, to Italy. I was the only Italian GP, I had every Italian state other than Savoy sphered, which I had just gotten out of France's sphere, and I earlier turned down the Italian unification event because I wanted to stay the Papal State. Is there an event that force unifies Italy if no non-Italian GPs have an Italian nation in their sphere? I was running NNM if it changes anything.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm pretty sure Rome: Total War is the most successful Total War game, though I could be completely wrong. I can't imagine a Victorian era Total War game being as successful, and I guess CA feels the same way since instead of going to the next period in history from Napoleon they're making Rome 2.

I'm pretty sure each Total War game is more successful than the next. They just know that their games are about blocks of men marching against each other and don't want to make a game that would be completely different.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lord Windy posted:

I think they could do both a Sandbox and a really good Roman Empire. Do something like CK2, where they make the base game just about the Romans, and then release DLCs that add in functionality for Carthage, Greek city states and etc.

I couldn't agree more. I love to screw around with history (and then port it over to the next game) so being able to start at the fall of Rome (or rise :hist101:) would be even more fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

I was playing a game as Victoria 2 as the Papal State, I became a Great Power, and had most of Italy sphered, and got to the late 1800s when suddenly I lost all of my provinces other than Rome, to Italy. I was the only Italian GP, I had every Italian state other than Savoy sphered, which I had just gotten out of France's sphere, and I earlier turned down the Italian unification event because I wanted to stay the Papal State. Is there an event that force unifies Italy if no non-Italian GPs have an Italian nation in their sphere? I was running NNM if it changes anything.
AFAIK for Italy, whenever Italian Pan-Nationalists or in this case Garibaldi's Redshirts manage to successfully overthrow a government, Italy gets formed.

If none of the Italian minors are GPs, then Italy gets formed under Sardinia-Piedmont.

If any other Italian minor is a GP, then it's 50/50 between that other nation and Sardinia-Piedmont.

Probably what happened was the latter and you lost the roll.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best mod for multiplayer? AzeriMod, MiscMods or MEIOU?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Mans posted:

What's the best mod for multiplayer? AzeriMod, MiscMods, EU3Plus or MEIOU?
I'd also like to know the answer to this question, just wanted to add EU3Plus to the list.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Littlefinger posted:

I'd also like to know the answer to this question, just wanted to add EU3Plus to the list.

AzeriMod is the old name for EU3Plus

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Any way to switch primary title in CK 1? It's a bit goofy that I'm still the King of Sicily despite having taken everything aside from Piedmont. I kicked the crap out of Germany to get the title, now I want to use it haha but I dunno how to switch.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

tbp posted:

Any way to switch primary title in CK 1? It's a bit goofy that I'm still the King of Sicily despite having taken everything aside from Piedmont. I kicked the crap out of Germany to get the title, now I want to use it haha but I dunno how to switch.

Besides save game editing, no not really, you have to get rid of your old one somehow.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Beamed posted:

Besides save game editing, no not really, you have to get rid of your old one somehow.

That's retarded haha I guess that brutal war against Germany was for no reason then.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

tbp posted:

That's retarded haha I guess that brutal war against Germany was for no reason then.

You can hold multiple Kingdom titles at once.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK for Italy, whenever Italian Pan-Nationalists or in this case Garibaldi's Redshirts manage to successfully overthrow a government, Italy gets formed.

If none of the Italian minors are GPs, then Italy gets formed under Sardinia-Piedmont.

If any other Italian minor is a GP, then it's 50/50 between that other nation and Sardinia-Piedmont.

Probably what happened was the latter and you lost the roll.

Ah, I checked Savoy again in my most recent save before Italy takes over and their relations with everyone suddenly dropped to Neutral so it seems like you're right, and they had a revolution. That is really lame that I basically lose because a nation I have no control over had rebels take over, although I guess that's kinda sorta how Italy's unification happened as I recall. I just saved after it happened, transferred all of Italy's provinces to me and I'll just go with that. It kinda ruins the while "Papal States forever" thing since now I'm basically Italy just with a different name but oh well, at least I still have Papal Hawaii going :v:.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

tbp posted:

I think you can do something like hand off King of Italy to your son/heir, which makes it his primary title and then when you die he inherits Sicily as a secondary title.

It's been a while since I played CK1.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

DrProsek posted:

Ah, I checked Savoy again in my most recent save before Italy takes over and their relations with everyone suddenly dropped to Neutral so it seems like you're right, and they had a revolution. That is really lame that I basically lose because a nation I have no control over had rebels take over, although I guess that's kinda sorta how Italy's unification happened as I recall. I just saved after it happened, transferred all of Italy's provinces to me and I'll just go with that. It kinda ruins the while "Papal States forever" thing since now I'm basically Italy just with a different name but oh well, at least I still have Papal Hawaii going :v:.

You should have kept the peace of god in the peninsula to prevent the revolution. You are a lovely pope.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Beamed posted:

You can hold multiple Kingdom titles at once.

Yeah I know, I have 6 at this point (though two are functionally useless aside from the prestige), and I guess it is anachronistic but it just makes sense to me to have the peninsula be primarily "Italian" instead of "Sicilian"

Fintilgin posted:

I think you can do something like hand off King of Italy to your son/heir, which makes it his primary title and then when you die he inherits Sicily as a secondary title.

It's been a while since I played CK1.

Thanks I'll give this a shot. Even if it doesn't work I don't really mind, the empire is getting a bit large for me to handle and the revolts are going to be bad when I don't have a bizarrely amazing king in charge.

Chessylite
Jan 21, 2009

Excretus ex fortuna

I must say that I like the sound of this idea. Something along the lines of Crusader Kings set exclusively in the Roman Empire and therefore given way more local flavour and historical accuracy than is possible in the existing games.

That said, I'm the sort who likes to then go on to become a sort of God Emperor after having achieved initial goals, including but not limited to complete dominance over my own empire, and so I would start begging Paradox for a proper saved game converter straight after release.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I've always thought that state/faction building within a collapsing state is a theme that would make a good strategy game.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If we're wishing for a limited-scope Paradox game, I'd just like to play around in Ancient Greece from the 8th to the 4th century BC. Myriads of city-states as playable factions with radically different political systems and highly shifting alliances, barbarians and Magna Graecia colonies as semi-interactive elements at the edges of the map, the Persians and later Alexander as the Mongols/Aztecs of the game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'd love to see what Paradox does with sci-fi. I really would. I'm starting to doubt that it's going to happen though.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

How hard is it to transition from CK1 to EU3? My current Sicily/Italy game is the first time I've actually been interested in seeing the end, I usually get 100 years into CK and stop playing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chief Savage Man posted:

I've always thought that state/faction building within a collapsing state is a theme that would make a good strategy game.
My wish is for a Paradox game set in 1980s USSR like Crisis in the Kremlin. But that will never happen.

Or even better, Russia in the 1990s. Crooked politicians, newly-enriched oligarchs, and the mafia. But these are just my fantasies.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 12, 2013

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well, the Steam Sale started and I used it to go ahead and get Victoria 2. I want to play an easy nation, but also mix it up a little bit. Is playing as Prussia and forming Germany viable for somebody fumbling around?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

synertia posted:

Well, the Steam Sale started and I used it to go ahead and get Victoria 2. I want to play an easy nation, but also mix it up a little bit. Is playing as Prussia and forming Germany viable for somebody fumbling around?

Kind of, controlling all your spheres before you form the North German Federation is really annoying. You'll probably enjoy Belgium, the Netherlands or the Two Sicilies.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

You could kinda ham it using the CK2 mechanics for Patricians and set all inheritance laws to None so when someone died the post becomes vacant again. However it would be a real bitch to model the Tetrarchy or the Republic era's Pro-Consul and Consul. How the armies of the Rhine. Danube and Egypt/Orient is another tricky thing. The core feudal mechanics employed for CK2 don't work for any point in Roman or Byzantine history.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

synertia posted:

What uPen said. I had fun learning the game with Two Sicilies.

What's everyone's opinion of the Pop demand mod? I installed it the other day, seems pretty cool so far but I'm nervous to invest a lot of time into a playthrough if its got some stupid bullshit in store for me.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Prussia has a very defined set of goals in order to form Germany. Beat the poo poo out of Denmark, wait for Hannover to leave the UK, get Saxony from Austria, form NGF, get Baden, Wurtemburg and Bavaria from Austria, get Alsace-Lorraine from France, (optional) sphere Austria, then you're Germany. It's a good choice when you're more familiar with game mechanics and ready to navigate the complexities of being a first tier power. After you've started small and learned the mechanics, Prussia is a good second game choice.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

POP demand mod is pretty okay for its economy overhauls but it destroys the entire balance of unit stats and weirds the game out, so I probably wouldn't, especially for my first game.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I tried PDM very very briefly and New Nations Mod a couple of times. I think I actually like vanilla HoD better than both. The Serbia mod is a completely different beast with a bunch of mid-sized to large states that could reasonably do well. I'm anxious to give it a try once the next round of fixes are out.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

uPen posted:

Kind of, controlling all your spheres before you form the North German Federation is really annoying. You'll probably enjoy Belgium, the Netherlands or the Two Sicilies.

Thanks for that. I like playing the Netherlands in EU3 so I may go with that. I'll be sure to return for any questions, too.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

synertia posted:

Thanks for that. I like playing the Netherlands in EU3 so I may go with that. I'll be sure to return for any questions, too.

When I first started playing Victoria 2, I tried Brazil because a bunch of people suggested it to me. It's a good country to start with for a couple of reasons. You are pretty isolated from the great powers and they're generally busy doing other things to pay much attention to you, so you're relatively safe to try different things out in peace. You can easily come into conflict with your neighbors, but if you do, you're significantly stronger than them. You have to build up your industry from the ground up, raise your literacy up from rock bottom, and encourage population growth if you ever want to compete with the great powers in any meaningful way. Basically, it forces you to learn how to manage a country well while not really putting you in immediate danger of a game over.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dirt Worshipper posted:

What uPen said. I had fun learning the game with Two Sicilies.

What's everyone's opinion of the Pop demand mod? I installed it the other day, seems pretty cool so far but I'm nervous to invest a lot of time into a playthrough if its got some stupid bullshit in store for me.

PDM sucks. New Nations Mod is somewhat better because it introduces a bunch of new tags/nations and events without all the other cruft of PDM, or you can go for The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja and Friends if you want an alt-history mod that kind of rebalances the world set-up to be more playable.

Thinking about it, I do wish that nation selection for Paradox games still had the blurb like they did in HOI 2. It'd be great for telling the player what that country is about, what it needs to accomplish or how to "roleplay" it in an alt-hist context.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

PDM sucks. New Nations Mod is somewhat better because it introduces a bunch of new tags/nations and events without all the other cruft of PDM, or you can go for The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja and Friends if you want an alt-history mod that kind of rebalances the world set-up to be more playable.

Except NNM introducing a million weird tags has the side effect of making the Great Powers go to crisis over... some stupid Patagonian state.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thinking about it, I do wish that nation selection for Paradox games still had the blurb like they did in HOI 2. It'd be great for telling the player what that country is about, what it needs to accomplish or how to "roleplay" it in an alt-hist context.

Tripoli was a great nation until they were conquered by the Ottomans 5 minutes after the start date.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

I'd love to see what Paradox does with sci-fi. I really would. I'm starting to doubt that it's going to happen though.

I'd be willing to pay money for Johan Andersson's Alpha Centauri.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I dunno if this is normal but I've had two consecutive games where the USA has just suffered total disintegration. And while one could explain it the first time by me kicking their poo poo in in a Great War, in my current game my only involvement in the Americas has been sphereing Brazil and dropping some railroads in Latin America. It got to the point where the USA was forced out of GP status by... Sichuan. It's probably just bad luck but it's kind of funny.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

YouTuber posted:

The core feudal mechanics employed for CK2 don't work for any point in Roman or Byzantine history.
You're as prejudiced as the people on the official EU4 forum, who just can't see how right EU4 mechanics are for the 19th/early 20th century! :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd be willing to pay money for Johan Andersson's Alpha Centauri.

You gave Sister Miriam Godwinson a good tumble!

It's good to be the UN Commissioner.

Omi-Polari posted:

My wish is for a Paradox game set in 1980s USSR like Crisis in the Kremlin. But that will never happen.

Or even better, Russia in the 1990s. Crooked politicians, newly-enriched oligarchs, and the mafia. But these are just my fantasies.

I'm with you on this! When someone says "state/faction building within a collapsing state", I don't think Roman Empire, I'm thinking former Soviet SSRs :ussr:

• Locked thread