Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Quidnose posted:

Does anyone have an extra Male-Male RGB wired SCART cable they want to sell I am tired of this :argh:

There is a place near my house that sells cheap ones with all 21 conductors present for a couple of bucks. I can send you one if you want, I'm in Europe though. It's surprising that it's so hard to find one, every discount/surplus store has them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
How am I just finding out about this game today?

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby's_Toy_Box

There was a remake of the Game Boy Kirby Pinball game for the SNES? Has anyone created a patch to put the music back in yet?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Obeast posted:

Welp, my favorite store to buy games from (see my previous posts if you don't know what I'm talking about) has finally gone insane in the best way possible...

I'm the first person to give this guy some credit? Even as a Sega guy I know that this is normally one of the last five cartridges most NES collectors need for a full set. Great find, awesome price. Well done :)

Just goo-gone that sticky part with a q-tip, then go over the same area again with a little water. Stay away from the edge of the label.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because until recently it seems like no-one could even play Sattelaview games so they just aren't generally heard from. To be honest I was really surprised to learn that a bunch of SNES classics had "extra content" made for them too a few years ago. Its a shame that that stuff has never been re-released.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Good idea: Putting down carpet powder to freshen everything up.

Bad idea: Not thinking to cover game shelves and having a THICK film of powder on everything after vacumming and kicking up a powder cloud. I had the pleasure of removing/cleaning/reorganizing virtually my entire collection because of this. It was good to clean and spiffy everything up mind you but drat it took hours upon hours.

Congrats on Snow Bros by the way! The day has barely gotten started and I've already had my "damnit I want that poo poo" moment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

Because until recently it seems like no-one could even play Sattelaview games so they just aren't generally heard from. To be honest I was really surprised to learn that a bunch of SNES classics had "extra content" made for them too a few years ago. Its a shame that that stuff has never been re-released.

I was gonna say, it seems like stellaview content wouldnt be available as roms anywhere, is it?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A few are, mostly high interest titles like the Zelda ones. Others, I believe, haven't been dumped or are still being worked on by people trying to get them running. And then there is stuff that relied on live voice actors giving cues which will probably literally never be re-released unless Nintendo and St.Giga or whoever it was want to (and even then they could have easily not saved the recordings and lost the scripts.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The idea of games ceasing to exist in a sense is still really weird and creepy to me. It's even weird to think about in online multiplayer terms. While the game itself doesn't change (usually), the nature of who you're playing with does. Did NHL 12 hit the perfect gaming sweet spot for you? Well, tough poo poo, because EA shut their servers down, and there were only 12 active players playing at that time anyway. Was Vanilla WoW just the perfect game, you and your level 60 max crew, even when people 20 levels higher than you were running around with their flying dragons? Well, some big-rear end dragon showed up and hosed up your perfect world, and everyone got free upgrades to Burning Crusade so all those level 60 instances you loved are now poo poo. In a way, it's more like life than most realize, where your favorite shop turns out to be unprofitable and closes down and your favorite malt shop from when you were a kid is now a laundromat. It's like online multiplayer games have been time-limited subscriptions all along. :lost:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Those WoW changes were part of why I stopped playing. I was fine with the expansions, was usually up to date with very high end raiding guilds, but when they went and burned up the vanilla areas I lost interest. I really enjoyed levelling a new race/class in the old areas I played in years and years ago with old friends I didn't talk to anymore, then when that was gone the game lost a big chunk of nostalgia for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

The idea of games ceasing to exist in a sense is still really weird and creepy to me. It's even weird to think about in online multiplayer terms. While the game itself doesn't change (usually), the nature of who you're playing with does. Did NHL 12 hit the perfect gaming sweet spot for you? Well, tough poo poo, because EA shut their servers down, and there were only 12 active players playing at that time anyway. Was Vanilla WoW just the perfect game, you and your level 60 max crew, even when people 20 levels higher than you were running around with their flying dragons? Well, some big-rear end dragon showed up and hosed up your perfect world, and everyone got free upgrades to Burning Crusade so all those level 60 instances you loved are now poo poo. In a way, it's more like life than most realize, where your favorite shop turns out to be unprofitable and closes down and your favorite malt shop from when you were a kid is now a laundromat. It's like online multiplayer games have been time-limited subscriptions all along. :lost:

I'm pretty sure this is how everyone felt after Sony got hold of Star Wars Galaxies. I've always been resistant to multiplayer only games, even back with Ultima Online. I wish more games were designed like the D Souls series where the multiplayer aspect is seamlessly integrated into singleplayer but you're not going to lose out on an entire game without the latter.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

midge posted:

I'm the first person to give this guy some credit? Even as a Sega guy I know that this is normally one of the last five cartridges most NES collectors need for a full set. Great find, awesome price. Well done :)

Just goo-gone that sticky part with a q-tip, then go over the same area again with a little water. Stay away from the edge of the label.
Thanks! I actually never expected to get this since it's usually way too expensive for me when it comes to retro games, but that store I got it from is great since they never seem to check eBay and does the old "Mario and other popular licensed games = more expensive" routine (although they did have Mega Man 3 there for I think around $18, so I dunno if they're starting to check eBay or whoever priced it knows it goes for a little more than most common games).

I did try some Goo-Gone spray gel (I didn't spray it directly on the cart, I put a little on a q-tip) since I couldn't find my bottle of regular Goo-Gone, but it didn't work that well. I'm gonna go pick up a bottle of Goo-Gone in a couple hours and get that label residue poo poo off my new baby. :)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

univbee posted:

The idea of games ceasing to exist in a sense is still really weird and creepy to me. [...] Was Vanilla WoW just the perfect game, you and your level 60 max crew, even when people 20 levels higher than you were running around with their flying dragons? Well, some big-rear end dragon showed up and hosed up your perfect world, and everyone got free upgrades to Burning Crusade so all those level 60 instances you loved are now poo poo. In a way, it's more like life than most realize, where your favorite shop turns out to be unprofitable and closes down and your favorite malt shop from when you were a kid is now a laundromat.

And then in real life someone comes along later and reopens the shop you loved like with some of these Vanilla WoW emulated servers.

A ton of the BS-X stuff is probably gone for good. There are a bunch of magazines, special demo versions of games in addition to the serially broadcast things like the Harvest Moon and Zelda games (both with SoundLink). Not all the soundlink broadcasts would have been saved either. Dozens of dumps exist and there are people dedicated to dumping the BS-X carts that haven't been erased to look for more games, though. On the other hand a lot of the dumps that do exist now are bad in some way, usually having been hacked to run on copiers or older emulators.

The SEGA Channel has a similar issue with some of its exclusives, which might not be archived anywhere at all. The special cart for that used SRAM rather than the EEPROM of the BS-X so there's not even a chance anyone has, say, an undumped cart featuring Garfield: The Lost Levels.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

parasyte posted:

And then in real life someone comes along later and reopens the shop you loved like with some of these Vanilla WoW emulated servers.

...and you're lucky if they even have 200 players on them. WoW with less than 10 times that logged in to one server ain't WoW. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

...and you're lucky if they even have 200 players on them. WoW with less than 10 times that logged in to one server ain't WoW. :colbert:

Technically Everquest is still around, but it just isn't the same, man. :smith:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

The idea of games ceasing to exist in a sense is still really weird and creepy to me.

I am like this with most stuff. I remember reading a few years ago that the NFL lost their original footage of some football game from the late 1970s or early 80s. They had put out a $20,000 reward (I believe that was the amount) for anyone who had a tape of the game. No one had it. The story completely fascinated me even though I don't follow football at all.

When it happens with video games it's 100x worse, of course. "Permanently lost media" is an odd fascination of mine and it's interesting to see I'm not the only one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I am like this with most stuff. I remember reading a few years ago that the NFL lost their original footage of some football game from the late 1970s or early 80s. They had put out a $20,000 reward (I believe that was the amount) for anyone who had a tape of the game. No one had it. The story completely fascinated me even though I don't follow football at all.

When it happens with video games it's 100x worse, of course. "Permanently lost media" is an odd fascination of mine and it's interesting to see I'm not the only one.

It's a pretty big deal to me, and one of the main reasons I wasn't going to get an Xbox One back when they mentioned their old system; considering how much Microsoft seems to care about its legacy software, watching an entire catalog of video games vanish five or so years after the console has run its course would've pissed me off to no end when I factor how much money I'd have potentially put into it. MMORPGs change so much over the course of their run that they're never the same again, and when they die that's it, unless somebody is dedicated enough to run a private server that keeps settings as intended.

Despite my animosity towards emulators (mostly because I believe the people who support them really do so because they want FREE GAMES) I believe they're important in the preservation of games software.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The biggest find in the world of film was Metropolis. Hours of footage had been lost for 70 years until some collector realized he had a master in his loving basement. You'd think gamers would document this stuff but you have the Kill zone devs who found the original source code in a shoebox under his bed and all these big companies who have to reverse engineer their games for the HD rereleases because the original data, some of it less than 10 years old, is lost.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you're a Dr. Who fan you curse the BBC and their practices in the 1960's and 70's constantly. For those who don't know, about three-quarters of the first ten years of the series was intentionally destroyed because of their policies.

I'm not sure there are any publicly released games that are "lost" yet. Every year that passes, though, the odds of something becoming permanently destroyed just goes up.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 11, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For some reason, we're overall pretty poo poo as far as historical archiving is concerned and what we have is almost entirely because previous generation of :spergin: saw fit to preserve everything on their own time. I'm trying to find an article talking about this from a while ago, NASA was just about to throw out everything related to the original moon landing, and only one person thought this was insane and she ended up keeping everything in her garage because no one else was interested in not throwing it out.

I had a course on film history as part of my video editing degree, the professor bitched about how fragile early film was and he found it nuts that we had cave paintings from early mankind but like half of the first 20ish years of film are permanently gone. Also if you like this stuff, check out the story behind the silent film The Passion of Joan of Arc.

That NFL story is neat. I actually got a Betamax player and a box of totally random unlabeled tapes with it, and it had some weird stuff in it, made all the weirder because Betamax is very robust compared to VHS; I had a live recording of Academy Awards from somewhere in the early 80s that looked surprisingly good, had Atari 2600 commercials and everything.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Y'all are gonna hate/love me for this: http://lostmedia.wikia.com

It's like TCRF but for stuff other than videogames. Also videogames.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Bought some things from my boss today but I can't take better pics until I get home

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I don't know if its what you're thinking of but the original broadcast version of Super Bowl 1 was thought to have been lost and since it aired in the 60's before tape recorders were prevalent a home recorded version was generally thought not to exist. Just a couple of years ago tho someone came forward whose dad owned a production company and had recorded the game.

Also, I think a few years ago Gamasutra had a series of special features where they asked various game companies about their archiving practices.

edit: Here it is

Famous TV Dad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 11, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ohnoitschris posted:

That is the #1 most hipster wearable video game-related thing I've ever seen

My GB fanny pack is so drat hip it has 2 zippers AND like 6 velcro loops to help contain its awesomeness. Also if you decide to be all 21st century and put something besides a fatty GB in the back flap you now have about 200 sq feet of room that frees up.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Much daytime TV from the '70s is lost, to the point where a lot of game shows and such exist only in pilot form.

Speaking of the NFL, most famously there is no extant tape of the full Super Bowl I game any more, just highlights that NFL Films saved at the time for their programs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Random Stranger posted:

If you're a Dr. Who fan you curse the BBC and their practices in the 1960's and 70's constantly. For those who don't know, about three-quarters of the first ten years of the series was intentionally destroyed because of their policies.

I'm not sure there are any publicly released games that are "lost" yet. Every year that passes, though, the odds of something becoming permanently destroyed just goes up.

There have been a lot of rumors floating around lately that 90 of the 106 lost episodes have been found.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I took some better pictures of my game collection so have some spam. You can even check it out on tumblr. I'd post them all here but there's a bunch of them, rest are at the link. :ohdear:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's a pretty big deal to me, and one of the main reasons I wasn't going to get an Xbox One back when they mentioned their old system; considering how much Microsoft seems to care about its legacy software, watching an entire catalog of video games vanish five or so years after the console has run its course would've pissed me off to no end when I factor how much money I'd have potentially put into it.

Yeah me too. I didn't care about it having to be connected to the internet as much as I cared about the physical games I bought from the store having to be "authorized" once a day.

al-azad posted:

The biggest find in the world of film was Metropolis. Hours of footage had been lost for 70 years until some collector realized he had a master in his loving basement. You'd think gamers would document this stuff but you have the Kill zone devs who found the original source code in a shoebox under his bed and all these big companies who have to reverse engineer their games for the HD rereleases because the original data, some of it less than 10 years old, is lost.

Thanks for the info on the movie; I am going to check it out one day. I was obsessed for a bit with the lost original ending to Little Shop of Horrors (the '80s one with Rick Moranis), as an early pressing of the DVD accidentally included the original "sad ending"; but it was in black and white and terrible quality and had no sound effects. Someone eventually found the footage and it got released to Blu-Ray, but when Frank Oz was screaming about how no one had the original footage any longer, I was really bummed. Was so happy to hear it was found a year or two ago. (I'd also do anything to watch Back to the Future without Michael J. Fox but now I'm getting way off topic).

As for source code stuff, that doesn't freak me out as much. That just seems negligent and bites the company in the rear end (Taito with Bubble Bobble, Sega with Panzer Dragoon Saga).

It's unfortunate that prototype/beta Nintendo-made stuff is so hard to get ahold of, because I am sometimes more interested in what was cut from the game than the game itself. I'm not a fan of Ocarina of Time but the trick to get the Airwing into the game gave me a reason to fire it back up again.

univbee posted:

For some reason, we're overall pretty poo poo as far as historical archiving is concerned and what we have is almost entirely because previous generation of :spergin: saw fit to preserve everything on their own time. I'm trying to find an article talking about this from a while ago, NASA was just about to throw out everything related to the original moon landing, and only one person thought this was insane and she ended up keeping everything in her garage because no one else was interested in not throwing it out.

While that woman is a saint, it's thinking like this that leads to hoarding and is a sickness. And when it's justified (as in your example) it further perpetuates the idea that we "gotta save everything". Which I agree with; I just don't want the burden. :v:

Mammal Sauce posted:

Y'all are gonna hate/love me for this: http://lostmedia.wikia.com

It's like TCRF but for stuff other than videogames. Also videogames.

Thanks for ruining my evening. :allears:

Famous TV Dad posted:

I don't know if its what you're thinking of but the original broadcast version of Super Bowl 1 was thought to have been lost and since it aired in the 60's before tape recorders were prevalent a home recorded version was generally thought not to exist. Just a couple of years ago tho someone came forward whose dad owned a production company and had recorded the game.

Nope it was definitely a football game from like 1979 or something because it was said that it was possible someone had recorded it, if they were rich, happened to buy a VCR, happened to tape this one game, and happened to keep it all these years. I am as amazed that no tape ever surfaces as I would be amazed if one did surface. No actual record anywhere of some websites I visited in 1995/1996 is oddly creepy as well. Man I am not going to do good when I get old and friends start passing on.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hello :retrogames:

This is your friendly alert that the following thread has popped up
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?244542-FS-Neo-Geo-CD-Games-Control-Pads-Pro-Sticks-AES-Stick-NGPC-NGP-Tons-of-Imports

Most everything is overpriced however he is selling first party & hori Nintendo S-Video cables.

Have a nice day.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
The New Yorker talked to me for an article about Desert Bus (speaking of potentially lost media):

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/07/the-worst-video-game-ever-created.html

I'm Teller, if you guys didn't know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've never actually owned an NES, though I've played a few times at friend's houses.

Just got an NES from ebay in the mail, along with over 10 games. I'm gonna stay up all night playing 8-bit games like the good old days!

Also, meeting somebody from craigslist tomorrow to purchase another 10+ NES games.

Boy, that escalated quickly. :retrogames: :shepface:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

TheRedEye posted:

The New Yorker talked to me for an article about Desert Bus (speaking of potentially lost media):

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/07/the-worst-video-game-ever-created.html

Right. Sure you are.

But interesting article nevertheless.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Those WoW changes were part of why I stopped playing. I was fine with the expansions, was usually up to date with very high end raiding guilds, but when they went and burned up the vanilla areas I lost interest. I really enjoyed levelling a new race/class in the old areas I played in years and years ago with old friends I didn't talk to anymore, then when that was gone the game lost a big chunk of nostalgia for me.

Yeah me too. I loved the old areas as well. Old Ironforge and Darnassas were perfect. That and I really couldn't stand the game with the ever increasing 1% drops for drat near everything and reducing former guaranteed rewards to 1% drops either. Also they never updated the main character models which where probably more needed than redoing all the zones.

It was like I don't need to put up with this, Zelda doesn't do bullshit drop rates to do everything in the game.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

TheRedEye posted:

Prove it :colbert:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

RadicalR posted:

Right. Sure you are.

But interesting article nevertheless.

That was a joke, I'm the guy who torrented the game. In fact I did it on these very forums first!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheRedEye posted:

It's not framed yet so I can't take a picture, but a circa-1987 gigantic promo poster (like movie poster size) for the original C64 version of Maniac Mansion, which I got signed by Ron Gilbert, Gary Winnick and David Fox (the entire core development team).

Or maybe my Grim Fandango concept art.

Or the shirt I'm wearing today:

Lies.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheRedEye posted:

That was a joke, I'm the guy who torrented the game. In fact I did it on these very forums first!

I remember that thread! Thanks again for that! :)

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never actually owned an NES, though I've played a few times at friend's houses.

Just got an NES from ebay in the mail, along with over 10 games. I'm gonna stay up all night playing 8-bit games like the good old days!

Also, meeting somebody from craigslist tomorrow to purchase another 10+ NES games.

Boy, that escalated quickly. :retrogames: :shepface:

It's not often we get to experience the NES for the first time vicariously through others (since everyone had an NES growing up). Are you just super-young or are you from Brazil where the Master System reigned supreme?

Either way, definitely post your opinions since they're going to not be with rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

It was like I don't need to put up with this, Zelda doesn't do bullshit drop rates to do everything in the game.

Speaking of Zelda and MMOs, I really like the concept behind Spiral Knights and the gameplay is pretty cool as well. It's like Zelda Four Swords but with more content and a bullet hell design style but the entire thing is wrapped around this bullshit design concept where you basically have to pay to explore dungeons and the in-game currency used to explore dungeons is the same used to get better equipment. It's loving stupid!

That's the #1 thing that makes me angry about good MMOs. They have really intriguing gameplay or awesome ideas but they're hidden behind awful paywalls or grinding bullshit to squeeze every last drop out of you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Speaking of lost media and video games... In 1999 or so I visited the official Donkey Kong 64 website and they had a section on there for videos (probably .rm vids at that point in time). There was one video which was a parody of The Blair Witch Project. I remember the ending scene was the cameraman busting into a shack in the woods and finding two dudes sitting in a dark room playing DK64. It was a pretty dumb video but I've been trying to track it down for years since then because I couldn't get it out of my head.

Finding anything on google today is tough. I did find someone mentioning it in the comments section of this Deviantart page. Back in 2008, Google celebrated their tenth anniversary by letting people search using the 2001 index (with results pointing to archive.org links). I was able to find a couple articles that mentioned the parody video in passing, though I've since lost those links. I'm also not sure if it aired as a commercial at the time or if it was just a web video. It's not like it's a historically important video or anything so I doubt I'll ever see it again, but I'll never be content until I do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Quidnose posted:

This is not 20 wires, correct:

edit: also my house is dusty

That sucks duder. Keep an eye on this seller. I got my 20 wire cable from them and it works on my Bandridge. Only has 9 wire up for sale at the moment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Zelda and MMOs, I really like the concept behind Spiral Knights and the gameplay is pretty cool as well. It's like Zelda Four Swords but with more content and a bullet hell design style but the entire thing is wrapped around this bullshit design concept where you basically have to pay to explore dungeons and the in-game currency used to explore dungeons is the same used to get better equipment. It's loving stupid!

That's the #1 thing that makes me angry about good MMOs. They have really intriguing gameplay or awesome ideas but they're hidden behind awful paywalls or grinding bullshit to squeeze every last drop out of you.

Honestly I think season passes might be the way MMOs may be done on major PC/Console releases. That way you don't need monthly payments or micro transactions, you don't need extremely low rare drops or grinds either. You get people to pay for the main game and DLC and eventual expansions that way instead of needing to keep people hooked with stupid filler.

I mean the last parts of what made EQ a terrible grindfest are dying off, probably within this console/PC generations or the next they'll be a plethora of new stuff out. Games like Monster Hunter even showed you don't even need to grind levels to reach endgame content, just a few missions.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 11, 2013

• Locked thread