Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Justin Bieber's been contracted to write and perform an original piece based on the fat pink mast scene in season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
http://imgur.com/a/nwXOq

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
3/5 it's A Game of Thrones, cartoon drawing person.

And in defense of Brienne's chapters and all the "boring" parts of the books here is an article I thought was insightful:

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/15/is_game_of_thrones_taking_its_cues_from_military_history_partner/

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Aurain posted:

Justin Bieber's been contracted to write and perform an original piece based on the fat pink mast scene in season 5.

My mast - rumble in tha jungle
Yo mast - like neeps on a nuncle

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

syscall girl posted:

3/5 it's A Game of Thrones, cartoon drawing person.

And in defense of Brienne's chapters and all the "boring" parts of the books here is an article I thought was insightful:

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/15/is_game_of_thrones_taking_its_cues_from_military_history_partner/

It's true. Brienne walks through all the poo poo while in other chapters we get to watch all the nobles feast it up with ridiculously lavish dishes and vomit and act like dickheads. The world building that goes on in her chapters are miles better than the stuff in Essos with Tyrion. I might be biased though because I don't give two shits about Essos..

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

ShaqDiesel posted:

My mast - rumble in tha jungle
Yo mast - like neeps on a nuncle

He mast - pink and stiff

She mast - dark and cavernous and warm

We mast - swampy like Myr

They mast - lookin', strokin', hatin'

You*/Ye mast - Renly

*plural

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Shoehead posted:

It's true. Brienne walks through all the poo poo while in other chapters we get to watch all the nobles feast it up with ridiculously lavish dishes and vomit and act like dickheads. The world building that goes on in her chapters are miles better than the stuff in Essos with Tyrion. I might be biased though because I don't give two shits about Essos..

Nobody does, except Dany who gives far more than two.

I'm beginning to think that if the TV show finishes before the books, GRRM will write a different ending out of spite, and as the ultimate swerve. Or he'll just continue not writing. Either way is genre-defying, I suppose.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'd be perfectly happy with the books and show forking off to be honest. If the show overtakes the books, and HBO makes it clear that this is completely their own story now, that would be my absolute preferred outcome. That way, I get AN ending, with a possible (but unlikely) book ending too. HBO could really tailor the ending to the strengths of the show and steer away from its shortcomings that way too.

I REALLY don't want to watch a neutered ending before I read it though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Would you rather "Play with her arse" than "Shits in the desert"?

At least the latter contains scenes where more than three people interact.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Would you rather "Play with her arse" than "Shits in the desert"?

At least the latter contains scenes where more than three people interact.

Both. At the same time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope the show goes Wild Cards and just totally abandons the books and wraps the whole thing up in season 5.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Shoehead posted:

IIRC what I appreciated about Brienne's stuff was that it gave the reader a view of how all the bullshit was effecting the smallfolk.

Junkenstein posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with the books and show forking off to be honest. If the show overtakes the books, and HBO makes it clear that this is completely their own story now, that would be my absolute preferred outcome.

The next book AHAHAHAHAHAHA I CANNOT BELIEVE I WROTE THAT IN SERIOUSNESS will indeed be telling.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 11, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

IIRC what I appreciated about Brienne's stuff was that it gave the reader a view of how all the bullshit was effecting the smallfolk.

No, that was Cercei.

:smugbert:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rejutka posted:

No, that was Cercei.

:smugbert:

I said smallfolk, not smugfolk.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

I said smallfolk, not smugfolk.

Hint: e != a.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure I agree with the notion of Samwell being fatter than his Gurminess.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm a little baffled people still do Simpsons versions of people. I'm sure there's an imgur gallery of GoT as South Park characters, too, which is a blast from 15 years ago.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
They could have at least done RobbWind

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm a little baffled people still do Simpsons versions of people. I'm sure there's an imgur gallery of GoT as South Park characters, too, which is a blast from 15 years ago.

This would be amazing if they just swapped Dany in for Cartman during the WoW parody episode.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well, good news/bad news:

With the season over I figured it would be best to get to writing, but...

The bad news is I just found out my vaunted notes on what I was going to right were left in the old place so I'm kind of going on memory and making stuff up as I go;

The good news is I wrote about half a chapter this evening, so that's progress. I should have a full chapter ready in about 48 hours.

Is anyone here familiar with the eastern Transylvanian dialect of Romanian? I'd hate to just use Google Translate.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arbite posted:

Is anyone here familiar with the eastern Transylvanian dialect of Romanian? I'd hate to just use Google Translate.

Are you having vampires speak Romanian? That's pretty cool.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just paste lyrics for Dragostea Din Tei for all the Romanian dialogue.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Alternatively, use something that is very clearly not Romanian. Mandarin Chinese, maybe. Or heavily accented rhyming Cockney slang. :britain:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

mkay0 posted:

GURM just wrote a blog post crying about how the TV iron throne isn't like the one he imagined.

This is apparently a representation of what he imagines:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I'm a little confused as to why he started complaining about it after the third season wrapped up. Wouldn't he have said something, like, during the concept art and/or set building parts when the series was first filmed?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Making a comment like that 2-3 years late is actually pretty timely for him.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe he's starting to regret the whole thing now that there's a distinct possibility someone else is going to finish his magnus opus before him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

We need to embroider up a set of these as thread-bearer swag.

e: also, I just want to say that imgur is full of people who, much like our favourite threadgoers, aren't reading these books. They don't act as poorly when you mention books existing, though.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 11, 2013

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

morcant posted:

I'm a little confused as to why he started complaining about it after the third season wrapped up. Wouldn't he have said something, like, during the concept art and/or set building parts when the series was first filmed?

He himself points out in the blog post how his true vision of the iron throne is unfeasible for tv purposes because it's too goddamned big.

Then he complains about the show's throne anyways because he's an absolute fucker.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Junkenstein posted:

Maybe he's starting to regret the whole thing now that there's a distinct possibility someone else is going to finish his magnus opus before him.

Guys, this is wrong, all wrong. We'll have to start over from season 1. I can't write the rest of the novels with the distraction of this terrible throne.

And recast that bitch who wouldn't get her tits out after the first season. loving amateurs.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

morcant posted:

Because he wasn't filing a formal complaint with Parliament?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Sorry he already finished Meathouse Man

Real post: I want to believe this...but...he's such an absolute fucker

Come on George, crank that poo poo out. I don't want to be WILDCARDS'd by the loving show

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Oberst posted:

Sorry he already finished Meathouse Man

Real post: I want to believe this...but...he's such an absolute fucker

Come on George, crank that poo poo out. I don't want to be WILDCARDS'd by the loving show

I'm just amazed that a dude that put out the first 3 books within 6 years has this much trouble. Meereeneese (sp? who fuckin knows) Knot my rear end, that doesn't turn 3 books in 6 years to two (one) book in 11 (without a climax). But now I'm already putting my brain into too much thought here. gently caress him, go David and Dan.

e: 3 incredible first books I meant to say.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
I think the GURM clearly is starting to get nervous about getting lapped by the show. Why write a blog post bitching for no reason? The show is 99 percent faithful to the books and he bitched about the changes.

I think the show Wild Carding us is very, very real at this point. Season four is already being filmed. My theory is that if TWoW is not out by the time they start on season five, they might just part ways with the stringent adherence to GURM and move towards wrapping it up. Feast/Dance are so lovely, figuratively and literally, why adapt them any more that you have to? You could easily cut the Nuncles of the Greyjoys, Doran Martel's gout and rotten-rear end Mereen without skipping a beat.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Bluedust posted:

I'm just amazed that a dude that put out the first 3 books within 6 years has this much trouble. Meereeneese (sp? who fuckin knows) Knot my rear end, that doesn't turn 3 books in 6 years to two (one) book in 11 (without a climax). But now I'm already putting my brain into too much thought here. gently caress him, go David and Dan.

e: 3 incredible first books I meant to say.

The more we think about ASoIaF as as trilogy, the better off we will be.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

mkay0 posted:

I think the GURM clearly is starting to get nervous about getting lapped by the show. Why write a blog post bitching for no reason? The show is 99 percent faithful to the books and he bitched about the changes.

Because this:

quote:

That's the Iron Throne as painted by the amazing Marc Simonetti (and if you haven't gotten his 2013 Ice & Fire calendar, better hurry, the year's half over) for the upcoming concordance, THE WORLD OF ICE & FIRE. It's a rough, not a final version, so what you see in the book will be more polished.

means it isn't really a complaint. He's just shilling product.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Potooweet posted:

means it isn't really a complaint. He's just shilling product.

Another delayed book, lol.

stille
Oct 9, 2012

Arbite posted:

It's not really distinct enough to be a dialect, and funnily enough some pockets of eastern Transylvania speak the purest accentless closest to standard Romanian you'll ever hear outside language lessons.

So yeah, I speak Romanian and am willing to help. How do I contact you, presuming you don't want to do this in this thread (I don't have PMs)?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mkay0 posted:

You could easily cut the Nuncles of the Greyjoys, Doran Martel's gout and rotten-rear end Mereen without skipping a beat.

Whoa, now. Victarion was one of the few enjoyable parts of those books.

[...] That he is unpleasant, the
more the pity, his fearful crew does witness it. But that he is,
saving your reverence, human fecal matter, that I utterly deny.
If sack and dusky women be a fault, God help the wicked. If to be
dour and violent be a sin, then many an old host that I know
is damned. If to part of an interesting plot is to be hated, then Khaleesi’s lean
kine are to be loved. No, my good lord, banish Dany,
banish Doran, banish Hizdar, but for sweet Vic
Greyjoy, kind Vic Greyjoy, true Vic Greyjoy, valiant
Vic Greyjoy, and therefore more valiant being, as he is loyal
Vic Greyjoy,
Banish not him thy GRRM’s company,
Banish not him thy GRRM’s company.
Banish violent Vic, and banish all of Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

stille posted:

It's not really distinct enough to be a dialect, and funnily enough some pockets of eastern Transylvania speak the purest accentless closest to standard Romanian you'll ever hear outside language lessons.

So yeah, I speak Romanian and am willing to help. How do I contact you, presuming you don't want to do this in this thread (I don't have PMs)?

Wow, I honestly did not think that would work. To be very specific, I'm looking for the sort of Romanian that would be spoken in the area of Bilbor, Sarului, essentially the closer to Gura Haitii down the 174F the better.

Uh, before we go any further, you are familiar with the nature of this project, correct?

I can be reached *redacted* if you're up for some translation.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 12, 2013