Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Colonel Cool posted:

Well O'Chul survived an explosion, a collapsing castle, and a fall square on his head from god knows how high so it can't be that much.

That's because he's motherfucking O'Chul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

my dad posted:

That's because he's motherfucking O'Chul.

"One saving throw at a time."

That remains the most badass line of the entire comic so far.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, I'm really surprised this strip didn't come as #900. It would have been pretty perfect.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Colon V posted:

Honestly, I'm really surprised this strip didn't come as #900. It would have been pretty perfect.

That'll be Belkar's corpse.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Magnificent. Simply magnificent.

Hrm, where did Redcloak put the real phylactery, again? I know Xykon hid the fake, but did Redcloak actually say what his plans were in that regard?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

That'll be Belkar's corpse.

It would be pretty fitting for Belkar to die right at the moment Roy finally shows trust in him (and since the rest of the team survives, probably rightly so.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nimby posted:

Ok, so that answers my question, time for a new one!

Just how much damage does an exploding pyramid do? They were standing right next to it and it looks like there's nothing left.

20dMcGuffin + Fiat.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Mundane events do quite low damage at high levels. Falling at terminal velocity does 20d6, something already survivable for a level 10 character. And a solid stone wall only has around 170 hp per thickness of a human body, also easily outclassed by appropriately geared level 15 characters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

peak debt posted:

Mundane events do quite low damage at high levels. Falling at terminal velocity does 20d6, something already survivable for a level 10 character. And a solid stone wall only has around 170 hp per thickness of a human body, also easily outclassed by appropriately geared level 15 characters.

Yeah, that too. But on the spectrum of game-plausible to story-plausible, a gate blowing up is hard on the story side. It does whatever damage fits the story.

Holy crap this has been a great arc. That pause before Roy followed Belkar was so rich.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

peak debt posted:

Also take into account Miko, who was by no accounts an epic-level character like Xykon presumably is, was at the epicenter of an enormous explosion, and she still had more than -9 HP left over.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Okay, as someone who's never had an opportunity to actually play DnD, can someone please explain to me this concept of negative hit points? I mean, if hit points are basically your health, and you have 0, then you're effectively dead, right? What's left to take away? I just don't understand.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roughly: until 0, you're okay to fight. Between -9 and 0, you're out of commission but a simple healing potion/spell will get you back. Less that -9 you're dead.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Okay, as someone who's never had an opportunity to actually play DnD, can someone please explain to me this concept of negative hit points? I mean, if hit points are basically your health, and you have 0, then you're effectively dead, right? What's left to take away? I just don't understand.

HP actually represents not your health, but your survivability to danger, that's why experience increases it. Not everything that does damage does damage to you. It represents a chance you might be hurt. 0 HP, instead of being dead, is where you are no longer able to handle any more, that manifests as unconsciousness, and no matter your level, represents being perilously close to dead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheAceOfLungs posted:

More broadly, in original D&D if you ran out of hit points you were dead, see ya, all she wrote. This often turned out to be unduly harsh in play, and was modified in various official and unofficial ways including the elaborate 3.5 rules for being on exactly 0 hitpoints (you are conscious but can only take one action - after which you start dying). This last rule was why, when Belkar stabbed Crystal after escaping from the Thieves Guild, she didn't die - she was on exactly 0 hitpoints.

As you'd expect Burlew ignores these rules when appropriate - there's no way Miko should have been able to have her dying speech, f'rex, and V probably shouldn't have been knocked unconscious by falling into the pit.

IMpO, the best rules are the 4e ones where you make a death save every round (10 or higher on a 20 sided dice) and if you fail three times cumulatively you die - but if you get a 20 you're back on your feet. Gives the player something to do, adds drama to the fight (can we get to him in time?! Should we focus on the baddie instead?!?! OMG 20!!!!!) and has roughly the same 'bleeding out' impact.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 12, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In general it's assumed that hit points is your ability to avoid crippling injury, so hit point loss until you get to 0 represents fatigue, bruising, minor cuts, light burns, and so on. Meanwhile anything that takes you to 0 or below is major life threatening trauma that will kill you if someone doesn't do something about it in a minute or less depending on how far down you are. Fourth Edition D&D took this concept to its logical extreme where hit points were morale and fatigue, making it possible to have the Warlord Class who's able to restore hit points by yelling at you, or 4E Bards who sing the pain away.

Mind you, I find the Warlord more egregious than the Bard in that respect, since the idea of magical music has a long tradition through fantasy fiction, including the Elves doing it in Lord of the Rings.

Pathfinder, which is essentially D&D 3.75 after WotC quit making 3.5 to do 4th edition, uses a decent little system where you die at negative Constitution. So if you have the human average Constitution of 10 you die at -10 like in 3.5, but if you're a burly Fighter with Con 17 you don't die until -17, while a weedy Elf Wizard might have a Con of 8 and die at -8.

I like that variation since it gives an extra layer of toughness to your meat shields, and helps distinguish between the burly guy who works out 8 hours a day versus the academic who spends his time in the library. Though I agree that the 4th Edition version gives more player agency, even if its only a 5% chance of working out.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Ok, that all makes sense. Pretty cool. Thanks, guys. :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jng2058 posted:

In general it's assumed that hit points is your ability to avoid crippling injury, so hit point loss until you get to 0 represents fatigue, bruising, minor cuts, light burns, and so on. Meanwhile anything that takes you to 0 or below is major life threatening trauma that will kill you if someone doesn't do something about it in a minute or less depending on how far down you are. Fourth Edition D&D took this concept to its logical extreme where hit points were morale and fatigue, making it possible to have the Warlord Class who's able to restore hit points by yelling at you, or 4E Bards who sing the pain away.

It's more YOU AIN'T GOT TIME TO BLEED (spins up minigun). Or Diehard, where McClane getting a few minutes to have a cigarette after a big fight is back at full deadly action hero strength.

But that path leads to ugly edition warring places so let's not take it. Both approaches have their benefits, and the 3.5 one is the only one that's relevant to OOTS (though Burlew did a funny and basically fair comparison of the editions in his Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails book.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I had taken O'Chul's being held in place to be why he survived in the way he did. I guess I could be wrong about that but I figured it prevented his skull from caving in by hitting the ground or what not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cliff Racer posted:

I had taken O'Chul's being held in place to be why he survived in the way he did. I guess I could be wrong about that but I figured it prevented his skull from caving in by hitting the ground or what not.

The rules aren't nearly that specific for such a spell/physics interaction, so it would be left up to the storyteller, the DM, to decide what to do in that situation. In that case Rich decided O'Chul wasn't going to die, and so he didn't. There are no specific rules, and equally no reason to over think it. :)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah I would assume (to :spergin: a bit) that Hold Person just literally holds every atom in one position with relation to the rest. Which makes for it's own interesting metaphysical derail (can you perceive anything if your neurons literally can't fire off, or do they fire off but you can't remember any of it because they don't create new pathways?) that I won't delve into.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Eh. It's not like you stop breathing when you're Held either. It probably just makes you stop moving around, it doesn't apply some sort of force field to your body.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yeah I would assume (to :spergin: a bit) that Hold Person just literally holds every atom in one position with relation to the rest. Which makes for it's own interesting metaphysical derail (can you perceive anything if your neurons literally can't fire off, or do they fire off but you can't remember any of it because they don't create new pathways?) that I won't delve into.

considering that the spells allows you a will save every round to shake it off, I imagine it does allow for some activity in the brain at least.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Slashrat posted:

considering that the spells allows you a will save every round to shake it off, I imagine it does allow for some activity in the brain at least.

True, but that just makes it more horrifying to be quite honest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was not held he was paralyzed by a lich. (something that is permanent until removed and looks like death normally.) Anyway Rich said that O`Chul had a con score in the mid twenties.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Except it didn't look like death (his eyes were not x'ed and he wasn't slumped over in a heap.) Rich's use of palatalization would thus differ from the official sources for the sake of having the image of O'Chul held in place with his sword above his head, I guess?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cliff Racer posted:

Except it didn't look like death (his eyes were not x'ed and he wasn't slumped over in a heap.) Rich's use of palatalization would thus differ from the official sources for the sake of having the image of O'Chul held in place with his sword above his head, I guess?

I know that that`s why I said looks like death normally (Though you can tell they are still alive because they are still breathing and the like) I am guessing he just ignored that part. Still he was not held which was my point.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was not held he was paralyzed by a lich. (something that is permanent until removed and looks like death normally.)
Ooh, I had never noticed this was permanent. You know, that makes all those remove paralysis Durkon liked to prepare a little less strange.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
And if that wasnt nasty enough, in 3E dracoliches had a passive paralyzation gaze with save DC in the high twenties.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
The whole thing with hit points just never ceases to be funny to me. So you roll dice to see if you lost any hit points and how many; and then the "hit points" are also just representative of chance/danger/morale/whatever, and not an actual thing you lost. There's no mechanic to keep track of what is actually happening to your character, and whether perchance they should have obviously died a horrible death.

I'm picturing an epic level bard being slowly squeezed by an inescapable crushing wall trap, and all the while he's singing that ooooh now you feel like number one song from Bleach which enables him to survive because his epic level singing boosts morale/ability to cope faster than the crushing wall can drain it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds perfectly fine to me. :colbert:

Seriously though even apart from "it's totally awesome", encouraging someone or himself to stay alive long enough to escape from the inescapable crushing trap sounds like 100% epic bard territory. Regular adventuring parties fall into the trap, panic and yell "oh poo poo there's no way out" and get crushed, the party with Hrogdar Honeyvoice in it survives because Hrodgar tells a tale of perseverance in direst circumstances and inspires the others to keep their wits about them and discover an anchor spot for a grappling hook just in time.

e: you can totally model that same thing using radically different mechanics than HP, though

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

Triple Elation posted:

The whole thing with hit points just never ceases to be funny to me. So you roll dice to see if you lost any hit points and how many; and then the "hit points" are also just representative of chance/danger/morale/whatever, and not an actual thing you lost. There's no mechanic to keep track of what is actually happening to your character, and whether perchance they should have obviously died a horrible death.

Aw, people have been complaining about hit points since the 1970's. I think Gygax got enough noise about it that he even put a handwavey explanation in the 1st ed. DMG. At the end of the day, they're just a convenient way to categorize an extremely complex concept. They represent physical damage unless they don't, now let's all roll some funny dice. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, the thing with hit points is that if you don't have them you end up with a much more realistic game that accurately models how dangerous medieval combat could be....and that's not the point. Dungeons & Dragons isn't about realistic combat, or accurate accounting of the damage a longsword does to you when it's inserted into your guts. D&D is heroic fantasy where you regularly do things that would be impossible to survive in real life because you're also battling things, like dragons, that also don't exist in reality. It's about a swashbuckling high fantasy setting where crazy poo poo happens and you roll with it because your character is just as improbable as the ten ton flying fire-breathing lizard you're going to war with.

Or to put it another way, you're cool with magic, divine intervention by gods, and dragons, but how long it takes that dragon to eat a knight is what breaks your immersion? If you can accept the all of the fantasy tropes, you should be able to get with the idea that a fighter's ability not to die is as much a part of the setting as a wizard casting fireball or the cleric healing your burns because the wizard aimed that fireball poorly.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Now I'm wondering if they'll think the pyramid exploded because they teleported next to it. It's quite a coincidence otherwise and it's not that hard to imagine that an epic level character had some sort of contingency trap rigged to explode the whole drat place if an epic caster teleported in too close.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Triple Elation posted:

I'm picturing an epic level bard being slowly squeezed by an inescapable crushing wall trap, and all the while he's singing that ooooh now you feel like number one song from Bleach which enables him to survive because his epic level singing boosts morale/ability to cope faster than the crushing wall can drain it.
Star Wars did it the best. It's not your hit points, it's your luck, making the Stormtroopers miss and your clothes just get attractively singed. When your luck runs out, that's when the next blaster bolt gets you between the eyes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

CapnAndy posted:

Star Wars did it the best. It's not your hit points, it's your luck, making the Stormtroopers miss and your clothes just get attractively singed. When your luck runs out, that's when the next blaster bolt gets you between the eyes.
Those ideas are all nice and good to prevent "how am I fighting so well at 1 HP? :sperg:" forum posts, but for the purpose of what human beings actually imagine I don't see anything that will stop players from seeing 'hit points' and thinking 'health'. It's too ingrained.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well D&D's mechanics really don't support the idea of it not actually being your health very well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nearly everything in every game system breaks down when you think too much about it. As said above, they are only there to help games run more smoothly and be more fun for everyone involved, and over-analyzing them robs them of some of that fun when done during the game. It's fine to realize, "Hey, when you really think about it the concept if spell slots are retarded" if you also simultaneously realize that they are that way to make it easier for you, the player, to understand and implement magic in the game.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

CapnAndy posted:

Someone summed up why Boba Fett went out like a bitch in Jedi. Don't remember who, though.

"Sometimes even the baddest bounty hunter in the galaxy rolls a 1."

I've always thought that the regenerating health in FPS games was similar to luck. Sure, you get close calls with a bullet, but you get behind some cover and get your breath back, you're back in the action. Until someone shoots you in the head because you weren't looking that way. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

I've always thought that the regenerating health in FPS games was similar to luck. Sure, you get close calls with a bullet, but you get behind some cover and get your breath back, you're back in the action. Until someone shoots you in the head because you weren't looking that way. :v:

There is actually a shooter that works exactly like this. Call of Jurez: Gunslinger, available right now on Steam. Your bullet-dodging is "luck" and when it runs out you get to play brief minigame which you get a chance to dodge the fatal bullet. If you do you regain your regular health but have to wait for your lucky dodge to recharge. If you don't... well, game over.

It's a really really really good game. Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Who What Now posted:

Nearly everything in every game system breaks down when you think too much about it. As said above, they are only there to help games run more smoothly and be more fun for everyone involved, and over-analyzing them robs them of some of that fun when done during the game. It's fine to realize, "Hey, when you really think about it the concept if spell slots are retarded" if you also simultaneously realize that they are that way to make it easier for you, the player, to understand and implement magic in the game.

In fact, there wouldn't even be a need for a D&D parody comic if it weren't for the inherent contradictions and nonsensical stuff within the system.

At least there wouldn't be much to work with.