Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Captain Trips posted:

I have no proof and no way to confirm it, but I'm 99% sure that Kanye sampled Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle" on Guilt Trip. That little electronic crescendo you hear a couple times at the beginning, and then throughout.

Anyone else hear it, or am I losing my mind?

I thought the same thing, but it could just be a very similar synth effect and not a sample.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

setafd posted:

"Real rappers is hard to find, like a remote
Control rap is out of"

I never fail to snicker at this line

jesus, I know right? That was the first time I'd ever heard Common. Worst introduction possible

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Final version of "BlacK Skinhead"
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=iRZ2Sh5-XuM&video_start=0&audio=Oq2DVxyJcCI&audio_start=0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: I just choked on the iced tea I was drinking. Goddamn, that was fabulous.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

I thought the same thing, but it could just be a very similar synth effect and not a sample.

Cue Mike Dean saying "I've never heard of Steve Miller Band, nope, definitely didn't rip it off".

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo the stairs at the end :lol::lol::lol:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

You don't think the juxtaposition of

"Chasin' love, all the bitter-sweet hours lost"
and
"Eatin' Asian pussy all I need is sweet and sour sauce"

is clever?
saying a thing then saying something really stupid is only "juxtaposition" if you're trying really really hard but kudos for effort i guess!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

40 lbs to freedom posted:

saying a thing then saying something really stupid is only "juxtaposition" if you're trying really really hard but kudos for effort i guess!

Being so obtuse and anti-intellectual is probably far more effort than actually attempting to discern meaning from something rather than dismissing it, but whatever dude. :thumbsup:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

You don't think the juxtaposition of

"Chasin' love, all the bitter-sweet hours lost"
and
"Eatin' Asian pussy all I need is sweet and sour sauce"

is clever?

Not really. Pretty good rhyme pattern for a rapper like Kanye? Yes. Saying something clever or funny with that pattern? No.

Like I said earlier, it is simply an embarrassingly cornball line (not to mention offensive) that I daresay would wind up on the cutting room floor of a Weezy Action Bronson song. I think part of the reason it is getting so much hate is that the production kinda fades away for that part as if it is the greatest punchline ever worth highlighting. Like obviously someone was proud of that poo poo and that is part of what makes it so :ughh: (yes even for Kayne, a well known cornball)

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 11, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Brett824 posted:

Being so obtuse and anti-intellectual is probably far more effort than actually attempting to discern meaning from something rather than dismissing it, but whatever dude. :thumbsup:
You can like something while still recognizing it has problems, and that there are fair criticisms to level at it. Calling someone anti-intellectual for not thinking that line is clever is sort of ludicrous.

Honestly, it would be less embarrassing if he used any other words than "Asian pussy". It would be a non sequitur, but at least I wouldn't be rolling my eyes so hard, it would just be a non sequitur to shoehorn in a multi-syllable rhyme.

edit:

I should mention that it is one corny line on an otherwise good and cool album, I don't think there's any need to get too hung up on it

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
So when's the Yeezus tour start?

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Brett824 posted:

**throws hands in air....** Good Grief **exhale**

the line is clever if you haven't taken down your Aqua Teen Hunger Force posters. which is to say: "it's clever but like nah". Kanye's proven to be at least marginally smarter than that before (ie "i'll hit you up maņa-- nahhh" & his severe aversion to punchline rap on MBDTF during it's peak). I mean I like Yeezus a lot, and sure he may have scored 40 in the 4th quarter, but like, even Kobe will miss a shot when he scores 40.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

reflex posted:

So when's the Yeezus tour start?

It wouldn't surprise me if, like his collaborators Daft Punk, he didn't tour behind this new album.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I came in here looking for the new Jay Z album thread, stumbled across this but I will throw in my 2 cents and agree the album is a bit abrasive. I really liked Kanye's new album. This one is taking me a bit longer to get into.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Please note how many of the 'problematic' lines happen on one song, I'm in It. Considering the song is all about his older abrasive persona, he's doing it on purpose

quote:

Your titties, let 'em out, free at last
Thank God almighty, they free at last

Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce

Put my fist in her like a civil rights sign

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Because talking about fisting someone like a civil rights sign can only get better when it's meant ironically.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Because talking about fisting someone like a civil rights sign can only get better when it's meant ironically.

It's not meant "ironically," but it's definitely not meant to be shown in a positive light. I'm In It is a dark as gently caress song. He's In It, but he can't get out. He can't escape from the nightlife. It's not a positive thing. The scream at the end of that verse doesn't sound like a scream of pleasure.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Too many of you are judging Kanye as if he's a sane logical person.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh good, well as long as it's ironic.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

Oh good, well as long as it's ironic.

Do you know what irony means?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Depends on what you think he was trying to do with the lyrics and song. If he's dropping lines like that to point out how stupid/crass/bad lines like that are, then I would say that's the definition of being ironic about it.

Looking at it as just an illustrative part of a song about the disgust and evil of the nightlife that rappers talk about...bit murkier.

I don't find them appealing, interesting or meaningful either way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ironically, no.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I'm In It, if you ask me, is Kanye saying "I can rap about whatever I want, and people will buy it, and I'm going to prove it with this track."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I don't think Kanye is capable of being ironic. His lyrics have always been extremely superficial.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I think a lot of people aren't separating Kanye, the actual recording artist, from Kanye, the character/narrator.

He raps pretty matter-of-factly about losing all of his money to alimony and child support a couple of times in this album and in MBDTF- and as far as I know that's never actually happened to him in real life.

To me, it's the same sort of mentality that gets people thinking that Nabokov was somehow promoting pedophilia in Lolita, or that Huck Finn is racist and should be banned because it has the n-word in it a bunch. J.D. Salinger wasn't sympathetic to Holden Caulfield and he didn't write Catcher in the Rye as a manifesto for sad teenagers.

Dismissing those verses as artistically bankrupt or going "oh he's trying to be ironic :rolleyes:" because they're ugly or abrasive reeks of laziness to me.

From all of the behind-the-scenes stuff I've read, it's pretty apparent that a tremendous amount of care, work, and curation went into making this album- so the idea that some of the narration, for lack of a better term, might be deliberately "unreliable" isn't exactly far-fetched. And it doesn't mean it's pure "shock-rock" either.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 12, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
When people start forcing Asian women down to get their pussy ate with condiments or a rash of fisting starts happening, I think people need to chill with the literalizing of metaphorical lyrics. There are a lot stronger real life misogynistic raps that reflect stuff that that happens in real life that people can criticize (but that would mean listening to hiphop).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

temple posted:

When people start forcing Asian women down to get their pussy ate with condiments or a rash of fisting starts happening, I think people need to chill with the literalizing of metaphorical lyrics. There are a lot stronger real life misogynistic raps that reflect stuff that that happens in real life that people can criticize (but that would mean listening to hiphop).
I think the issue isn't really misogyny per se, but that it seemed particularly corny/immature. I mean, there's misogyny wrapped up in that, sure, but in a broader sense it just strikes the wrong note. But like I said, it's a few lines on an otherwise very album, I think people realize that.

edit: also we knew it wasn't literal because he talked about using a blackberry in 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

temple posted:

Yeah. The backlash is kind of silly, especially considering Kanye is probably one of the most progressive rappers out there. This is another lovely opinion that pissed me off recently:

quote:

Kanye West has never advocated raping anyone. His persistent fixation on conquering white women -- the lure of white women, injuring white men via their women, etc. -- is troublingly retrograde for a multimillionaire who some consider to be the harbinger of a neo-Black Power movement. It ultimately gives lie to the fact that Kanye sees himself as "a god," as he claims on Yeezus, or, as he told Jon Caramanica in that winding New York Times interview, that he is "so credible and so influential and so relevant." I've yet to see a black man who is truly confident in his human worth and his power spend time crowing about ejaculating onto white chicks. What's more, what does it yield West in the end? As Kiese Laymon asked the other day: "Do you think the white men who run these corporations you're critiquing really give a gently caress about you dissing, loving, fisting, choking white women?"

cool. whitey will get mildly angry about misogynistic rappers but when they start coming for their white women really poo poo starts getting bad?

there's more here: http://kottke.org/13/06/the-troublingly-retrograde-yeezus

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Hey guys what's going on in this th-- :stare:

Edit: In all seriousness, "sour sauce" aside, I think I'm In It is the darkest and maybe most effective song on the album.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 12, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I look at the Asian pussy line as the same. As long as rappers are denigrating black women and instructing them on what do with parts of their anatomy, no one cares. Childish Gambino and Kanye writes some lines about Asian women and its full stop on the misogyny train.

I recognize the prickly porcupine nature of white writers criticizing black media. You see it with Tyler Perry. He is finally getting mainstream disapproval but only because of his portrayal of AIDS as being a sinner's disease. AIDS was an 'in' to address all the other dumb stuff in Perry's movies. I think the key is praising good artists and then criticizing the bad ones. You won't find that in a lot of reviews of Kanye's Yeezus. Or you will find people praising the same circle of artists (Kweli, Mos Def/Yaasin Bey, Roots, Common). There are ways to criticize hiphop artists (the artists specifically not the whole genre) without coming off as a racist as long as you actually listen to hiphop.

het posted:

I think the issue isn't really misogyny per se, but that it seemed particularly corny/immature.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips

Fayez Butts posted:

Yeah. The backlash is kind of silly, especially considering Kanye is probably one of the most progressive rappers out there.
That bothers me a lot too. Kanye used to be the weird guy that was talking about homophobia and how women are treated (back before his George Bush comments). No one cared and now that he's this huge figure, people only want to point out his flaws. He is one of the few artists that does try to address the female point of view and not only lip service. People could have encouraged that person instead of the Gold digger version of Kanye.

Nobody remembers this Kanye

quote:

"I'm still trying to get over my own homophobia. I still wouldn't feel comfortable at a gay bar. I wouldn't go to a gay parade. I don't know if I'm in favor of gay marriage or not. People said to me, 'Were you scared of speaking out against George Bush?' No. The bravest thing I did this year was speaking out against homophobia. That's a scarier topic, because if you bring it up, people think you must be gay. But you don't have to be gay to not gay-bash. We're a very close-minded people."

West recalls that it was a homophobic incident he was involved in with another rapper that woke him up to his own bigotry: "We started rhyming about beating up gays right in front of him. .. People always say, 'Kanye's conscious, Kanye's conscious' - well, my conscience kicked in, and it said, 'Yo, that was kinda wack.' Things have been clicking ever since. I found out my cousin was gay years ago, and even just dealing with my interior decorator, having to travel with him, I've had to deal with issues. There was a point I wouldn't even get in the car with him 'cause I didn't want people to see me with a gay person. I didn't want it to hurt my career."

https://www.towleroad.com/2005/11/kanye_west_revi.html#ixzz2YnVhjtk2

This is one of my favorite songs. He might be talking about women in the song but really, everyone feels that way at some point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQwd9dxZTn0

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

temple posted:

Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips
I don't really think that's a bad line? Like it's actually a pun, I don't think there's an actual joke to the Asian pussy line.

edit: I of course agree with your point that there's more scrutiny when rappers direct their misogyny towards white women/away from black women, and that that's lovely and wrong and should be addressed, don't get me wrong.

het fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 12, 2013

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Imagine a parallel universe where Kanye did Rick Ross' verse on UOENO. Tumblr would crash.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

het posted:

I don't really think that's a bad line? Like it's actually a pun, I don't think there's an actual joke to the Asian pussy line.
It's playing off the stereotype that Chinese people eat cats.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Scorched Spitz posted:

It's playing off the stereotype that Chinese people eat cats.

Asians eat dogs not cats

poo poo is a stretch

Stretch like an anus

I'm in it and I can't get out

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fayez Butts posted:

This is another lovely opinion that pissed me off recently:

It's interesting that you bring this up, because anybody who has even a basic understanding of 20th Century American history and race relations should understand the dead obvious historical connotation here. The sexualization of "virile, animalistic" black men, the exoticization of black women, and the fear of miscegenation- most especially of black men taking white women- has historically formed a major cornerstone of white racist ideology toward African Americans since the institution of the North American slave trade. It's a major thematic element in media like Birth of a Nation and people like James Baldwin wrote extensively on the subject- to name a few.

So either Kanye's horribly regressive and childish for trying to bait people with the whole "I'm gonna get me some white women" thing, or he's deliberately pushing a button that historically (and still today) has carried a great deal of weight within racial politics. I wonder which one it might be... :allears:

It's the same thing with sampling "Strange Fruit"- one of the most politically significant songs of the 20th Century, which is literally about a lynching. Does anybody really think that it's an accident or that he doesn't know any better?

I wonder what's more unbelieveable: that some enfant-terrible rapper would just publicly fixate on white women as a status symbol, or that the son of a Black Panther and a university professor would be aware enough of American history and race relations to know which buttons to press when making an art object about his own place within American culture?

Is it more unrealistic to assume that Kanye stuck some horribly off-putting verses in an exhaustively revised album that he worked on for months with some seriously talented, thoughtful, and intelligent people out of laziness or that the son of the chairwoman of a university's English & literature department would be capable of incorporating a fairly basic literary tool in his writing?

I'm pretty sure that Yeezy's a bit smarter than some of the people in this thread are giving him credit for.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 12, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

het posted:

The joke is that the line beforehand gives the impression of a sensitive, sympathetic guy who has failed to find love many times and then he contrasts it with the most stupid, sexual, cliched bullshit imaginable. It isn't subtle at all and the amount of people who genuinely still believe Kanye is this stupid buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing is astounding.

Or basically: the post above me is right about everything

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Brett824 posted:

except back in the day when kanye would release some stupid poo poo instead of strapping on their monocle to "discern meaning" people would just admit to themselves their favorite rapper made a whoopsie. when kanye put out drunk and hot girls no one was talking about "juxtaposition" or breaking out their numerology books or talking about black history professors or whatever holy gently caress

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I don't think you need a have a deep critical understanding of the song to understand that he's not just saying that line because he thinks it's funny

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The whole point of that first verse of that song is that is about how Kanye is ashamed of the way he treats sex. He is constantly flip flopping from belittling it to playing it up.

The line is goofy and racist, but it does serve a purpose and he probably knew exactly what he was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
One thing I'll say for Yeezus that really puts it over for me: It's concise. There might be tracks I don't like but there's absolutely no fat on the thing. It's what I also liked about Action Bronsons' SAAB Stories. You can sit down and enjoy the entire thing and when it's over you want just a bit more and it doesn't feel like an undertaking to listen to every track in order.

MBDTF is the better album in my eyes but I'm guessing I'll end up listening to Yeezus front to back waaaaay more.

Edit: My new favorite description of this album (from a friend): "This is what Alec Empire circa 2000 wished rap sounded like"

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 12, 2013

• Locked thread