Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I was kind of tempted by one as a (very) poor man's X100, given the lens and APS-C (obviously, form factor is completely different). I just bought some medium format gear this morning though, so nm.

I have a friend who bought an M a few months ago as his first "real" camera and is pretty happy with it, FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I bit the bullet and bought a NEX-6 and the Sony 20mm pancake. I really like my RX100, but I have trouble justifying owning three cameras (main DSLR, backup DSLR, pocketable camera) when only two get used on any sort of regular basis. Plus, I kept using the RX100 at its widest setting, wide-open or close to it. A NEX-6 with the 20mm pancake is pretty close to that in terms of field of view, depth of field, and pocketability. The RX100 is still more pocketable, but the NEX-6 + 20mm pancake adds less than an inch onto that. It's still pocketable, but maybe not fashionable while in your jeans pocket.

The ergonomics of the NEX-6 are much better than the RX100 (even with a Franeic grip attached), but the menu system, ugh. I wish Sony would add a "pro mode" or something that makes the NEX menus more like the RX100, which is more or less their DSLR/SLT menu system. So much quicker and easier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. I can't believe Sony stuck with their "baby's first camera" menu system on the higher end NEX models. I wouldn't mind if they gave us a way to turn it off or make it more useful somehow. Oh well.

Loving my NEX-5N still, but I am longing after a built-in viewfinder. I suspect I'll be getting a 6 once its replacement comes out and people flock to upgrade.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 4, 2013

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I know it is pricey and I hate to sound like a broken record but the add on EVF is really top notch. The 6 EVF is lower quality - you would need to go to the 7 to get the same EVF and even then it is not articulating like the 5N add on. I got mine on the cheap from eBay and it really elevates the 5N's use ability and versatility a ton.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Bob Socko posted:

Plus, I kept using the RX100 at its widest setting, wide-open or close to it. The ergonomics of the NEX-6 are much better than the RX100 (even with a Franeic grip attached), but the menu system, ugh. I wish Sony would add a "pro mode" or something that makes the NEX menus more like the RX100, which is more or less their DSLR/SLT menu system. So much quicker and easier.

Sounds like the Ricoh GR would have been perfect for you.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

Sounds like the Ricoh GR would have been perfect for you.
I like the Ricoh GR's feature set, and I'd probably be happy with the camera - I'd need to hold it in my hand first and etc etc, but it definitely caught my eye. The problem is that I do shoot the occasional paid gig, so I need two DSLRs with hotshoes. I also have a toddler, so I need something light. By going with a NEX-6, I get pocketability, compatability with the rest of my lenses, and a standard hotshoe.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I wanted to go into photography as a hobby combined with photoshop as I will be seeing a lot of places in the near future.

So yesterday I went to the camera shop down the street to buy my first DSLR.
I was determined to buy the NIKON D5200 but because I have no spinal cord the clerk talked me into buying a mirrorless Panasonic Lumix G5.

He told me I could use it for 2 weeks and if not satisfied and every bit was still in a sell able condition I could just come back and get a DSLR instead.

Should I?

I'm mostly in it to shoot landscapes, buildings and planes (standing still... mostly).

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 4, 2013

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
You have nothing to lose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rio posted:

I know it is pricey and I hate to sound like a broken record but the add on EVF is really top notch. The 6 EVF is lower quality - you would need to go to the 7 to get the same EVF and even then it is not articulating like the 5N add on. I got mine on the cheap from eBay and it really elevates the 5N's use ability and versatility a ton.

Oh yeah that's definitely one option. I'm not ruling out the VF by any means, even if it looks fugly :)

There are other little things selling me on the 6 (or 7 if the price drops in the next year, or whatever comes out eventually) but this isn't a "need an upgrade RIGHT NOW" kind of thing so I can afford to bide my time. If the add-on VF works for me then I'll definitely use it :)

Thankfully, other than the lack of VF, my 5N is still working for my style of shooting. My only real complaints are "baby's first camera" user interface and the fact that I can't reassign the digital-zoom button from the awkward-to-hit bottom button to the D-pad. I'm kind of thinking of gluing some kind of rubber nipple to the digital zoom button so I can hit it without looking at the back of the camera all the time. If the buttons weren't so flush with the body this wouldn't be a problem. I don't think the 6 would really address any of these shortcomings so I'm not necessarily upgrading for that sake (down the road).

Unlike with my DSLR -> MILC upgrade, this won't be an upgrade of necessity. I went from DSLR because I just couldn't handle carrying a brick around anymore. This time when I upgrade it'll be because I want to, not because I have to :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 4, 2013

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

David Pratt posted:

You have nothing to lose.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to tell me.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mikojan posted:

I wanted to go into photography as a hobby combined with photoshop as I will be seeing a lot of places in the near future.

So yesterday I went to the camera shop down the street to buy my first DSLR.
I was determined to buy the NIKON D5200 but because I have no spinal cord the clerk talked me into buying a mirrorless Panasonic Lumix G5.

He told me I could use it for 2 weeks and if not satisfied and every bit was still in a sell able condition I could just come back and get a DSLR instead.

Should I?

I'm mostly in it to shoot landscapes, buildings and planes (standing still... mostly).

If you like the handling of the G5 better than the D5200 then I guess it's fine. Most people like mirrorless cameras because they weigh less and have a more compact form factor, I haven't used the G5 before but it looks rather bulky for a m4/3 camera. I'd say stick with the original plan and get a D5200 because I think that DSLRs are the best tools to use when starting out with photography because they typically offer more robust controls, but ultimately it comes to which type of camera you enjoy operating the most.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Mikojan posted:

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to tell me.

There is zero risk to trying out the G5, since the dude told you you could take it back after two weeks. Unless you really need to make the decision right now.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Should I?

That's really up to you. The G5 is a fairly capable camera, and the m4/3 lenses are rather inexpensive compared to its competitors, which is definitely a plus. That said, I don't care for the "mini-DSLR" form factor of the G5, and the ergonomics don't work for me personally. I'd rather have the Nikon 5200 between the two cameras, for the ergonomics of the 5200 and better image quality, but it will definitely be a bit heavier. There's no real wrong decision though, so you should just play with the G5 and see if you love it, and if not, go back and get the Nikon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It also depends on the price. If he sold you the g5 for close to the same price as the d5200 then you got ripped off, they go for ~350 on amazon for a kit compared to 800 for a d5200 kit.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Yeah, I mean, he definitely pushed that on you because it's old stock now that the G6 is out, and probably not selling well compared to Canikon cameras, but that doesn't make it a bad camera. You should definitely check on the price though for sure.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

I bit the bullet and bought a NEX-6 and the Sony 20mm pancake. I really like my RX100, but I have trouble justifying owning three cameras (main DSLR, backup DSLR, pocketable camera) when only two get used on any sort of regular basis. Plus, I kept using the RX100 at its widest setting, wide-open or close to it. A NEX-6 with the 20mm pancake is pretty close to that in terms of field of view, depth of field, and pocketability. The RX100 is still more pocketable, but the NEX-6 + 20mm pancake adds less than an inch onto that. It's still pocketable, but maybe not fashionable while in your jeans pocket.

The ergonomics of the NEX-6 are much better than the RX100 (even with a Franeic grip attached), but the menu system, ugh. I wish Sony would add a "pro mode" or something that makes the NEX menus more like the RX100, which is more or less their DSLR/SLT menu system. So much quicker and easier.

So how do you like the 20/2.8 pancake? While I've read that it's better than the 16mm pancake which isn't saying much, it's not amazing like the Sigma 30/2.8 or the Sony 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 primes. For what it's worth, it's DxOMark score is slightly lower than the Sigma 19/2.8.

It's really disappointing that there aren't any good, affordable, and compact E-mount primes between 20mm and 30mm or any signs of one on the lens roadmap. While I love my Sigma 30/2.8, it's a little too big to pocket and the focal length is a little too narrow for my liking. It's my main reason why I'm thinking about switching to Fuji. For about the price of the 24/1.8, I could get a Fuji XM-1 and the 27/2.8 pancake.

Of course, I've already invested quite a bit into the E-mount system which is making apprehensive of switching right now. LA-EA2 adapter and the Tamron 17-50/2.8 was probably my biggest investment (physically and financially). As big and expensive as the combo is, the Tamron is a great lens and the adapter gives me very fast and accurate autofocus. I'll miss it the most if I switch.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Costello Jello posted:

Yeah, I mean, he definitely pushed that on you because it's old stock now that the G6 is out, and probably not selling well compared to Canikon cameras, but that doesn't make it a bad camera. You should definitely check on the price though for sure.

He sold it to me for a rough 500€ with some stuff like cleaning kit, mem card and lens cover included. The D5200 was going to be around 800€.

So far the smaller frame is actually really convenient as I work in aviation and like to bring my camera to work.
The image quality seems to be really nice. However the standard lens (14-42) seems a bit lackluster.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edward IV posted:

So how do you like the 20/2.8 pancake? While I've read that it's better than the 16mm pancake which isn't saying much, it's not amazing like the Sigma 30/2.8 or the Sony 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 primes. For what it's worth, it's DxOMark score is slightly lower than the Sigma 19/2.8.
I'm really happy with it. The 16mm had such a bizarrely curved focal plane that it was really hard to use at wide apertures, unless you only cared about center sharpness. The 20mm fixes the focal plane and is sharper overall. It's not a be-all, end-all lens, but I'm definitely satisfied.

As for DxOMark scores, DxO says that a 10% difference in scores is negligible. The Sigma is probably better because they didn't have to manufacture around the limitation of being a pancake lens, but I'm not sure how much of that you'd see outside of pixel peeping.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A
I've been thinking of getting a more portable carry-everywhere camera to complement my Canon DSLR, (and actually bought a S100 for that purpose), but I've found that I really dislike shooting with just the back-screen LCD, and really prefer a (non-crappy) viewfinder -- to the point that I don't carry my S100 with me since I don't like using it. Since there aren't all that many P&S compacts with viewfinders, a relatively inexpensive mirrorless with a pancake lens seems like the way to go.

Unfortunately, not that many mirrorless system cameras come with viewfinders either -- without turning into bulky semi-DSLRs. From my research, I've found just a few bodies that seem to fit my bill:
- The Sony Alpha NEX-6 and NEX-7
- Nikon 1 V1 (the V2 is surprisingly much bulkier, go Nikon I guess?)
- Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X-E1
All of these have pros and cons. For most, it's the price; since I'm looking for a secondary camera, I'd rather not have the camera and lens combo go into (or even skirt) four-figure numbers when it's time to pull out the credit card -- the Fujifilm bodies are the worst offenders in this regard. The Nikon 1 V1 is cheap, but old, and has a pretty tiny sensor compared to every other mirrorless out there (except the hilarious Pentax Q) -- and to top it off, seems to have shittier controls than the S100. The NEX-6 felt OK in my hands, altough the EVF seemed to flicker, and the NEX-7 I haven't had a chance to try (and it's likely out of my intended price range in any case)

Then of course there are the Fujifilm X100 and X100S; However, the X100S I consider far too expensive, but a used X100 looks like it could be found for a reasonable price. I'm just worried about the AF and RAW files on the X100; neither LR4 or DxO8 understand the X100 RAF format, if I recall correctly, and the AF on the X100 was panned. I, however, have no idea how the X100 AF compares to AF on cameras like the NEX-6 or even Nikon 1 V1 for that matter.

I'm looking for your thoughts and recommendations on this, both on what I might have missed and your own experiences with especially the Nikon 1 V1 and Fujifilm X100.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Amok posted:

I've been thinking of getting a more portable carry-everywhere camera to complement my Canon DSLR, (and actually bought a S100 for that purpose), but I've found that I really dislike shooting with just the back-screen LCD, and really prefer a (non-crappy) viewfinder -- to the point that I don't carry my S100 with me since I don't like using it. Since there aren't all that many P&S compacts with viewfinders, a relatively inexpensive mirrorless with a pancake lens seems like the way to go.

Unfortunately, not that many mirrorless system cameras come with viewfinders either -- without turning into bulky semi-DSLRs. From my research, I've found just a few bodies that seem to fit my bill:
All of these have pros and cons. For most, it's the price; since I'm looking for a secondary camera, I'd rather not have the camera and lens combo go into (or even skirt) four-figure numbers when it's time to pull out the credit card -- the Fujifilm bodies are the worst offenders in this regard. The Nikon 1 V1 is cheap, but old, and has a pretty tiny sensor compared to every other mirrorless out there (except the hilarious Pentax Q) -- and to top it off, seems to have shittier controls than the S100. The NEX-6 felt OK in my hands, altough the EVF seemed to flicker, and the NEX-7 I haven't had a chance to try (and it's likely out of my intended price range in any case)

Then of course there are the Fujifilm X100 and X100S; However, the X100S I consider far too expensive, but a used X100 looks like it could be found for a reasonable price. I'm just worried about the AF and RAW files on the X100; neither LR4 or DxO8 understand the X100 RAF format, if I recall correctly, and the AF on the X100 was panned. I, however, have no idea how the X100 AF compares to AF on cameras like the NEX-6 or even Nikon 1 V1 for that matter.

I'm looking for your thoughts and recommendations on this, both on what I might have missed and your own experiences with especially the Nikon 1 V1 and Fujifilm X100.

Viewfinders are a good chunk of the price. Everything about your posted criteria is technical, I don't think you would like the X series at all, even the X20 which is the closest to the S100 equivalent.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Amok posted:

AF on the X100 keeps getting better and better with every update. It's still not where my Canon DSLR was, but its usable at this point - try one out in a store. I don't know about DxO8, but LR4.something supports RAF files and has for quite a long time. "Support" is something argued by pixel peepers. Supposedly Adobe can't figure out the X-Trans sensor and it results in a watercolor-type effect, but I've never seen this or been bothered by it. X100 and XE-1 owner here.

That being said, I recommend the NEX line to most of my friends.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
The pentax Q has an optical viewfinder for one of the primes that sits on the hotseat :v:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Helicity posted:

Supposedly Adobe can't figure out the X-Trans sensor and it results in a watercolor-type effect, but I've never seen this or been bothered by it. X100 and XE-1 owner here.

In a rare move, Adobe actually updated the X-Trans support a minor version or two back. Looks fine to me. Maybe there's a difference if you're printing at A2 or something, but the folk that complain are indeed pixel-peepers and have probably never made a print in their lives.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

David Pratt posted:

In a rare move, Adobe actually updated the X-Trans support a minor version or two back. Looks fine to me. Maybe there's a difference if you're printing at A2 or something, but the folk that complain are indeed pixel-peepers and have probably never made a print in their lives.

You can still get the effect, but not without severe luminance noise reduction on.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Lightroom 4.4 to current all support X-Trans sensors. DxO does not and will not http://support.dxo.com/entries/22223617-Will-the-camera-Fuji-X-Pro-1-X-E1-X10-XF1-X-S1-X-Pro1-X100s-and-X20-be-supported- . Capture One 6 does with very limited success. I cant speak for C1-7.0 pro. Lightroom RAF conversions are better than Fujis own raw converter. If thats not enough, the JPG engine in the XE1/Pro is the best in the industry. I have had good success editing jpg only lately. I feel that there is enough data to recover most jpgs if you were off on your metering. WYSIWYG in jpg mode in the EVF gives you a good indication of what exactly you are going to get.

Basically you dont NEED RAW files with the X line up for the most part. I used to shoot RAF/JPG combo but now its just jpg unless the light is really misbehaving.

Printing from jpg is nbd, been doing 16x20 and 20x30 without any issues. Using FINE settings and generally anywhere between iso 100 (software based ISO for the Xe1) and iso 3200.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Musket posted:

Lightroom 4.4 to current all support X-Trans sensors. DxO does not and will not http://support.dxo.com/entries/22223617-Will-the-camera-Fuji-X-Pro-1-X-E1-X10-XF1-X-S1-X-Pro1-X100s-and-X20-be-supported- . Capture One 6 does with very limited success. I cant speak for C1-7.0 pro. Lightroom RAF conversions are better than Fujis own raw converter. If thats not enough, the JPG engine in the XE1/Pro is the best in the industry. I have had good success editing jpg only lately. I feel that there is enough data to recover most jpgs if you were off on your metering. WYSIWYG in jpg mode in the EVF gives you a good indication of what exactly you are going to get.

Basically you dont NEED RAW files with the X line up for the most part. I used to shoot RAF/JPG combo but now its just jpg unless the light is really misbehaving.

Printing from jpg is nbd, been doing 16x20 and 20x30 without any issues. Using FINE settings and generally anywhere between iso 100 (software based ISO for the Xe1) and iso 3200.

The JPEGs made by the XPro-1 are seriously good, probably better than what a novice photographer like me could make in Lightroom without a lot of training.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You could probably alllllllmost fit the v1 with the 10mm ƒ/2.8 pancake into your pocket. If the price is right and all you want the 1 system for is the pancake lens and to put it in your pocket then go for it.

The 10mm ƒ/2.8 pancake is dirt cheap as a refurb at adorama right now. Not sure where you could get a deal on the v1. I couldn't find any even on craigslist but I did see that they once went for ~$300 new on amazon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Canon M system with 22mm are on sale for 300bux. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=883304&is=REG&Q=&A=details

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Basically any camera with an optical or electric viewfinder will be too height to put it in your pants pocket.

If you want good compromise you can get a Ricoh GR with a smallish OVF like the one Sigma make for the DP1/x/m.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Amok posted:

It has a lovely viewfinder, but how about the Canon G1X?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Amok posted:

Have you looked into the Olympus OM-D at all? Has a viewfinder (that can do 120 fps refresh rate, to eliminate ghosting), isn't that bulky, there's a ton of really nice pancakes for the micro four thirds system too. Used bodies go for ~650 on keh if you can catch one that's not in LN or EX+ condition before it sells.

Hard to get much thinner than this (excuse the grip that's attached in the pic).

An E-pl5 would have the same sensor and you could mount a nice EVF to it too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The X100 is my carry around camera (and second camera on gigs as well now) and I love it. The jpeg output is great so if you just want to dick around and not worry so much about post then you have that, the lens and sensor IQ are great, excellent raw files to work with which Lightroom has no issues with.

It does feel slow compared to pretty much anything else except a film body. My NEX 5N (with the optional viewfinder, which owns, might be another option you might want to consider) outperforms it in autofocus, shooting speed, overall snappiness etc. and I am sure that if you are used to a newer DSLR you will feel that for sure. I do kind of like that, though. It makes me think a lot more and I noticed a definite lowering of pray and spray shooting (which can be very fast on the 5N, I think it is like 10 fps) after getting the X100.

The autofocus can also feel kind of antiquated compared to other cameras. Once you learn its strengths and weaknesses, though, it is fine as long as you don't expect something from it that it cannot do. After a few months I don't feel that I missed focus on any shots other than things that were my own fault.

The one thing that still really irks me is the useless manual focus mode. Other than the back button focusing, manual mode is impossible to use effectively. All of the other X cameras got peaking either at release or retroactively EXCEPT for the X100 which is a drag.

e: Also worth mentioning that while it is pocketable in a cargo pant leg, jacket pocket or some baggy pant legs I find it much easier to just keep it on a strap on my shoulder at all times. The weight is not noticeable, there is no worry of dust or scratching (I use a full leather case, Chinese knockoff of the Fuji one) and it is always nearby and ready for use.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
Hmm yeah, good points all round (altough I didn't quite get how focusing on technical details means that I'd hate the X system, maybe the X100(s) specifically?) One point that affects prices is that I live in Finland, which is it's own microcosm when it comes to camera pricing -- especially since our used camera market is so small. If anyone knows of a EU-wide reputable second-hand camera store like KEH is for the folks in the US, let me know!

Regarding viewfinder compacts like the Canon G1X, I felt that the viewfinder was pretty horrible. I've held the X20 in my hands, but the display models had run out of battery juice and so I couldn't really test the transparent LCD in the OVF (or anything else at all, frankly). "Technically speaking" the X20 does seem nice though, with a fast zoom lens and a decent sensor.

With mirrorless bodies the OM-D seems to fall into the same boat with the Fujifilm X system cameras: they're more DSLR replacements than secondary cameras to me. However, I hadn't really considered an external viewfinder. The Sony NEX viewfinders seem pricey and push the price way high, but the Olympus EVFs (VF-2 and VF-3) are relatively inexpensive and are compatible with the PEN E-PL5 (and older models).

So I guess now I have to choose between a used X100 (which can be found for under 500 euros in Finland, at least -- and by the way, the X100 has an EXR CMOS instead of the Trans-X, but ACR seems to support it just fine nowadays as well) or a PEN camera with external EVF and some nice pancake. Thanks for your help all!

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
VF-3 is ok and pretty darn cheap if you really need it, but every time I use it I'm seriously missing the viewfinder on my OM-D

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Amok posted:

It kinda flew under the radar but the Panasonic DMC-LF1 is actually kind of a novel idea; A pocketable camera (ala s100/rx100) but with a built in EVF. It's just a 1/1.7" sensor (same as s100) and the EVF is pretty crap but if your criteria is literally "s100 with an EVF" then it may just appeal to you. Otherwise afaik It's not currently feasible to fit a decent EVF and large sensor into a package smaller than an x100s/NEX-6/OM-D otherwise I would probably own one.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004

feigning interest posted:

It kinda flew under the radar but the Panasonic DMC-LF1 is actually kind of a novel idea; A pocketable camera (ala s100/rx100) but with a built in EVF. It's just a 1/1.7" sensor (same as s100) and the EVF is pretty crap but if your criteria is literally "s100 with an EVF" then it may just appeal to you. Otherwise afaik It's not currently feasible to fit a decent EVF and large sensor into a package smaller than an x100s/NEX-6/OM-D otherwise I would probably own one.
Yeah, I noticed it too, but none of the local camera stores seem to stock it, so I can't get my hands on one to see if the EVF is usable or not. 200k pixels sounds like, well, not a lot, but it just might be enough (for comparison's sake, the Olympus VF-3 is a 900k+ pixel EVF, and the VF-2 is 1.4megapickles. That's many more pickles than in the Panasonic! It also is nearly half the price of the Panasonic DMC-LF1!)

Stupid local camera stores.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Got my EOS M in the mail today. Absolutely going to replace my nex 5N.

Pros:
Great IQ
Focus is fast enough (for my uses, but I have a camera for action oriented events- the right tool for the job)- The Fuji X100 had worse focus accuracy (parallax mis-focuses and slow/inaccurate low light focus) and similar/slower focusing. While I loved the X100- it was extremely frustrating that whenever I handed it off to somebody to photograph me and my girlfriend, the photograph was quite often mis-focused- both when taken with live view, and optical view finder.
Smaller than my 5N with Sigma 30 2.8
Full stop faster (2 vs 2.8).

Cons:
Even with my (smallish) hands, it's a little bit cramped. Will definitely be awkward to use when I'm taking photos all day (Much more likely to use one of my actual cameras for that though)
No built in flash- I liked this about the Fuji X100- It's nice to have. When handing off camera to a waiter or something, I'd rather stop down to 5.6 or so and turn on flash than leave it at f/2 1600 ISO and hope that they got everybody in focus.
Battery? Not sure yet, but I know I'll be getting at least 1 spare for extended trips.
The connectors to put a strap on are weird- I might have to do something to get one of my comfy straps onto it.

--

I really wanted to get a Fuji X100s, or maybe a Ricoh GR as my travel camera- but for only $300 (with lens), it's even better than I thought it would be. I suspect most people who bitch about the camera have not tried the new firmware, or are just parroting what they read/saw in videos.

I might sell my 5d2 and relegate myself to 1d2 (or 1ds2) and EOS M. The only reason I was stuck on my 5d2 was for live view usage with my tilt shift lens (something I can do with the EOS M- pocket wizards are available for use because of a real hotshoe, and I can mount EF lenses on it). After the summer is through I'll have a much more thorough idea as to whether or not this is the mirrorless for me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shmoogy posted:

Got my EOS M in the mail today. Absolutely going to replace my nex 5N.

Pros:
Great IQ
Focus is fast enough (for my uses, but I have a camera for action oriented events- the right tool for the job)- The Fuji X100 had worse focus accuracy (parallax mis-focuses and slow/inaccurate low light focus) and similar/slower focusing. While I loved the X100- it was extremely frustrating that whenever I handed it off to somebody to photograph me and my girlfriend, the photograph was quite often mis-focused- both when taken with live view, and optical view finder.
Smaller than my 5N with Sigma 30 2.8
Full stop faster (2 vs 2.8).

Yeah I think I will get rip of my NEX crap lens lineup and replace them with the EOS M as my low end system too.
+ easy access to settings w/ the touch screen
+ fast AF
+ no bullshit lens. The 22/2 is small, fast, sharp enough and focuses very close

quote:

Cons:
Even with my (smallish) hands, it's a little bit cramped. Will definitely be awkward to use when I'm taking photos all day (Much more likely to use one of my actual cameras for that though)
No built in flash- I liked this about the Fuji X100- It's nice to have. When handing off camera to a waiter or something, I'd rather stop down to 5.6 or so and turn on flash than leave it at f/2 1600 ISO and hope that they got everybody in focus.
Battery? Not sure yet, but I know I'll be getting at least 1 spare for extended trips.
The connectors to put a strap on are weird- I might have to do something to get one of my comfy straps onto it.
My main cons are mostly ergonomic stuff like
- can't shoot portrait single hanged without moving the AF point by accident.
- a bit heavy and thick
- no panorama stitching
- no flash (pretty sure this is the reason we can get it so cheap)

quote:

I really wanted to get a Fuji X100s, or maybe a Ricoh GR as my travel camera- but for only $300 (with lens), it's even better than I thought it would be. I suspect most people who bitch about the camera have not tried the new firmware, or are just parroting what they read/saw in videos.

I might sell my 5d2 and relegate myself to 1d2 (or 1ds2) and EOS M. The only reason I was stuck on my 5d2 was for live view usage with my tilt shift lens (something I can do with the EOS M- pocket wizards are available for use because of a real hotshoe, and I can mount EF lenses on it). After the summer is through I'll have a much more thorough idea as to whether or not this is the mirrorless for me.

So far its main disadvantage against the x100s is the lack of OVF.
I just need one more lens to justify owning the system. I really like the size and weight of the recent announced ultra wide zoom.
Once magic lantern is released for the new firmware, I think I will be very happy with it.

Originally I was planning to spend this year's camera budget on a Ricoh GR. But I have been hearing about the rumors of a Sony Xperia Android phone with a large rear end 20mp 2/3" sensor. If Sony can offer IQ some where between the Fuji X20 and the RX100, I think I will blow my money on it instead. The beauty of a phone camera is that you have it 24x7, and its even lower profile than the Ricoh GR.

BTW the Nokia WP 1020 is out today. They have shrinked the 808 sensor down to 2/3" with the same amount of pixels. I have seen the samples. The IQ is no good. They have made the wrong compromise on pixel size and sensor size.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Just got my EOS M as well- I've barely played with it so far but looking forward to it. Yup, the body is pretty small. I haven't tried out any lenses besides the 22mm but it seems like any ef/ef-s zoom is going to feel absolutely huge on it.

Now I need to pick up a wrist strap, case of some sort, and maybe a screen protector.

e: tried out my 3rd party adapter and it doesn't work. dang.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Maybe this Canon M discount is a clearance sale. It seems like Canon is giving up on the system in the US at least.
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-ef-m-11-22mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-lens-will-not-be-sold-in-the-usa/