Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They already showed that Rusty's potential could really be unlocked by being a supervillain in the Dr. Killinger episode, and Rusty rejected it. Sure, he COULD be a success as a super-villain, but he doesn't want to be.

That's he doesn't want to be a supervillain. Obviously he wants to be a success.

Well okay, so he probably thinks he already IS a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Well, Killinger did say that Rusty had a deep-seated fear of success. That may be because he wouldn't like the kind of man he would be if he was successful.

New sneak peek for this Sunday's episode :

http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/sneak-peek-bot-seeks-bot.html

Shoreleave is as hilarious as ever. What happened to Snoopy and Headshot? Did they not see Hatred go in?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
We've really not seen much of the Monarch this season, have we?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Silhouette posted:

Except that Rusty's been shown to be a brilliant biologist/geneticist. You can't make a Frankenstein without knowing your poo poo, plus in the Halloween special, Ben said that he and Jonas started the cloning program and Rusty perfected it. It's the mechanical super sciences and engineering that he's terrible at, but in which Jonas was (and J.J. is) an expert.

I think maybe part of that explains Dean's current robotics/engineering pursuits. At first, he might have started to invest more of himself into the sciences perhaps as a direct response to wanting to find something completely opposed to Triana's magical studies to distance himself from her emotionally and academically. Since discovering his nature as a clone and just one of Doc's genetics projects, he's maybe hitting harder into the robotics/engineering side of things as perhaps his personal bit of rebellion against Doc's field of study. Keep in mind, too, that when Doc was close to Dean's age, he personally thought that robotics were a dead-end.

One of the things about last episode was the theme of secrets and secrets getting revealed. Dean's secret conversations and meeting with Myra got found out, Hank's secret trickery with Teddy was shared, Dermot learned who his true dad was and Doc confessed all sorts of secrets and sins.

In some way, this episode made me think of ORB, for some reason I can't put my finger on, and that alone makes me feel that the next episode will end up being the start of a major game changer.

Also, I wouldn't be suprised at this point if Gary didn't turn out to be a Venture cousin, with his mother or father being a 'Fictel' blood relative.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

X_Toad posted:

Well, Killinger did say that Rusty had a deep-seated fear of success. That may be because he wouldn't like the kind of man he would be if he was successful.

With a full head of hair and a successful musical?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Action Tortoise posted:

With a full head of hair and a successful musical?

I kind of got the impression that that Rusty stole his musical.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn88hl1Iz64

Everyone says it, but man I wish they'd do a full song. Or even better a full Broadway like musical VOD.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I still don't understand how Dean came to be the heir to guild of calamitous intent, but that's mainly me not paying enough attention and instead enjoying the gags in that episode. LADY NIGHTSHADE.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I still don't understand how Dean came to be the heir to guild of calamitous intent, but that's mainly me not paying enough attention and instead enjoying the gags in that episode. LADY NIGHTSHADE.

Dean's great grandpa or whatever was the head of the original guild of calamitous intent. I know I know, Rusty but eh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Sovereign probably saw it as the quickest, easiest way to squash The Phantom's claims of usurpation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Phantom Limb isn't very bright these days, so the history of the guild gave the Sovereign a workable enough excuse to befuddle him.

Remember that Phantom Limb killed the Manotaur because of the Monarch's lovely excuse one time years ago...

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I see Phantom Limb as a bit like Col. Rawls from the wire if he had aspirations to cultural refinement. Smart, sometimes even brilliant at field operations. Much, much less politically savvy than he'd like to believe, but no one likes messing with him because he carries a grudge forever.

revolther
May 27, 2008
The Mighty Manotaur being mentioned has me wondering about Shadowman9: In the cradle of Destiny. Are we to assume that the ENTIRE time the Monarch has been arching Rusty he's been a Guild dropout/AWOL?

He was some low-level Guild employee while serving as a henchman, the episode kinda argues his motivations for arching were twofold, one pursuing Dr. Girlfriend, and two (presumably) not wanting to jump through hoops hench'ing under Phantom Limb for years before being able to become a villain of his own and arch Rusty properly. Did they show or mention Monarch ever being guild sanctioned in or prior to that episode?

Just seems like an odd inconsistency, having a giant palette matched hovering cocoon fortress, Dr. Girlfriend supplying "standard guild issue [gadgets]" in an episode or two, and an army of card carrying Guild henchman (don't we overhear them complain about crappy Guild medical or some such?), all while he was still a non-Guild member freelance villain? I guess Monarch did mention getting a sweet inheritance, or it could be Dr. Girlfriend who was approved to be her own villain funneling him supplies.

Total over-sperg about animated TV show supply chains, I know, I'm sorry.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Well, I just finished Season 3!

24... :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If memory serves, the season 3 premiere implies that Phantom Limb knew what the Monarch was doing and smoothed things over with the Guild. Most likely it was part of his long-term plan to get Dr. Girlfriend back.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pope Guilty posted:

If memory serves, the season 3 premiere implies that Phantom Limb knew what the Monarch was doing and smoothed things over with the Guild. Most likely it was part of his long-term plan to get Dr. Girlfriend back.

Yeah but what he's getting at is since phantom limb killed manotaur, having bought the monarchs lovely excuse, he wasn't actually covering it. If they even bother to address something as spergy as this it'll be the monarch lied and all the guild stuff he had wasn't from the guild. That or whatever guild supplier you buy flying butterfly costumes from just assumed he was in the guild from his costume.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually considering that he stole most of his gear from Hatred and then just painted it yellow there doesn't need to be any complicated backstory for how the Monarch had standard Guild issue tech.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I figure it was one of those things like how the government can know you exist and apparently have enough money to live, but never pay your taxes and you get away with it for years and years. But then you try to file once and they come down on you with an endless universe of suffering.

Or come down on you like a storm, in Orpheus's voice.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The Halloween episode is up on adultswim.com this week. Compared with the rest of this season, it seems kinda weak.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The thing about Venture Bros. is even the weaker episodes have one or two amazing, perfect things in them. Like, State Dinner still has all the Lincoln jokes. The Halloween special has H. Jon Benjamin's voice coming out of Santa Claus, so I can't help but love it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Pope Guilty posted:

I sort of thought that explanation was put together by Dr. Girlfriend and that the Council believed it.

What makes more sense? That someone like the Monarch managed to slide through the Guild's net, so to speak, and managed to accidentally, falsely and fraudulently operate within their ranks for years without anyone catching on, or that it was another of the traitorous Limb's long game schemes to create chaos and overthrow the Guild by making him into an unknowing pawn in his plans?

In the end, everyone was ready to shift the blame of the Monarch onto Limb and they assumed the latter when in reality it was actually the former. I guess, they were more willing to accept the Limb was a genius that tricked them than believe that the Monarch was an idiot who did so on his own.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah but what he's getting at is since phantom limb killed manotaur, having bought the monarchs lovely excuse, he wasn't actually covering it. If they even bother to address something as spergy as this it'll be the monarch lied and all the guild stuff he had wasn't from the guild. That or whatever guild supplier you buy flying butterfly costumes from just assumed he was in the guild from his costume.

I think Limb killed Manotaur to make it look like he'd bought the Monarch's lie. He's not as smart as he thinks he is, but he's not that stupid.

e: Limb seems to have been fairly highly placed in the Guild, due no doubt in part to his lineage as a descendant of Fantoma. I think he was using his influence within the Guild to keep the Monarch off the radar as part of his effort to eventually frame the Monarch and get Sheila back.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 12, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Well, as we've seen with Saint Cloud you can straight out buy a guild membership, and The Monarch is supposed to be loaded. He even mentions when 24 catches him changing into his Monarch costume that he's waiting for some trust fund money before officially breaking out.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Sash! posted:

Or come down on you like a storm, in Orpheus's voice.

I literally could not help myself from hearing his music when I read that. :allears:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stop overthinking it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pope Guilty posted:

I think Limb killed Manotaur to make it look like he'd bought the Monarch's lie. He's not as smart as he thinks he is, but he's not that stupid.

e: Limb seems to have been fairly highly placed in the Guild, due no doubt in part to his lineage as a descendant of Fantoma. I think he was using his influence within the Guild to keep the Monarch off the radar as part of his effort to eventually frame the Monarch and get Sheila back.

The Monarch just made the name up on the spot. That there really was a Manotaur was purely coincidental. I think Limb absolutely believed it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

deong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn88hl1Iz64

Everyone says it, but man I wish they'd do a full song. Or even better a full Broadway like musical VOD.
I've always secretly dreamed of a Venture Bros musical episode. :allears:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

I've always secretly dreamed of a Venture Bros musical episode. :allears:

Between Doc Hammer and JG Thirlwell it's not like they're short on accomplished musicians to draw on.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Filthy Haiku posted:

I literally could not help myself from hearing his music when I read that. :allears:

Dr O is seriously the best character in the whole thing. Just thinking of him explaining how to make tacos or something with that doofy music blaring in the background brings a smile to my face.

I also like that he's one of the only more or less decent people in the series.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 12, 2013

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Dr O is seriously the best character in the whole thing. Just thinking of him explaining how to make tacos or something with that doofy music blaring in the background brings a smile to my face.

I cheered a hearty "gently caress yes" when he showed up in the last episode. I love Dr. O and the triad so drat much.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wish Dr. O weren't Triana's dad just so he could steer Dean down the right path.

Are there any people in the venture universe who marry magic to super science?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I'm starting to put the O.S.I. doctor who examined Hatred's breats in that category too. He just seems decent when we see him, less of a mad scientist than the german guy who operated on Hunter and Brock.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Are there any people in the venture universe who marry magic to super science?

Ghost Robot, maybe?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shindragon posted:

Dean's great grandpa or whatever was the head of the original guild of calamitous intent. I know I know, Rusty but eh.
Rusty AND Hank. Clearly the Guild works on the principle of ultimogeniture.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

DarkCrawler posted:

Rusty AND Hank. Clearly the Guild works on the principle of ultimogeniture.

But Hank and Dean are twins, and Hank is clearly the superior of the two. Why wasn't he Sovereign for a day? :colbert:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

No, it was a loving joke. A pretty funny one. You know, the reason people watch Venture Bros...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Protagorean posted:

But Hank and Dean are twins, and Hank is clearly the superior of the two. Why wasn't he Sovereign for a day? :colbert:

Knowing Hank, he would think it isn't Batman enough.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Knowing Hank, he would think it isn't Batman enough.

Not very Batman at all.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Protagorean posted:

Because he's older by a lousy four minutes. Not to mention, he was not available at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Protagorean posted:

The Bat would never be the Sovereign, but Enrique Matassa would be.