Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Saturday is not only my branch's kindy graduation but also my last day at HESS. I'm not going to miss HESS at all but I am going to miss my Taiwanese co-workers quite a bit. They were all pretty great when I got to know them. Wish I could say the same about some of my fellow NST co-workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Apparently the HESS and Uncle Sam's guys in my town have started getting drunk enough in front of the 7-11 together that the police have had to come break them up. Seriously, we have a bar that doesn't give a poo poo if you get a bit rowdy within reason. No less than two goons have vomited all over themselves there!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hey could someone post the government school work closure typhoon thingy website?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

Hey could someone post the government school work closure typhoon thingy website?

http://typhoon.dgpa.gov.tw/ndse.html

English one I found posted on forumosa.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I may be reading this wrong, but CWB says there's a 78% chance that this thing will be in Keelung between 6am and 12pm tomorrow morning, so why exactly aren't they closing schools down?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My wife just called me from her work and told me that everything after 2pm was canceled today. The official site isn't reporting that yet, nor have I gotten a call from my school. Anyone else hear anything?

(For Taipei)

Edit: Yep!

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/7%E6%9C%88...-221634362.html

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 12, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, I'm canceled for after 2.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm cancelled for all day in Zhongli.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Taoyuan is off after noon. Welp, this typhoon is gonna end up costing me a lot of money. One of the bad sides of my awesome work schedule is that if any of my few work days are off, it's a huge hit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Taoyuan is off after noon. Welp, this typhoon is gonna end up costing me a lot of money. One of the bad sides of my awesome work schedule is that if any of my few work days are off, it's a huge hit.

The true cost of damage of a typhoon.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Exactly! drat, I hope I don't end up on any sensationalist news sites as "Foreigner doesn't care about the human suffering created by typhoon, also here's his dick size."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Exactly! drat, I hope I don't end up on any sensationalist news sites as "Foreigner doesn't care about the human suffering created by typhoon, also here's his dick size."

Just make sure you don't give birth to any live pandas and you should be fine.

Typhoon Checklist:
1) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2) A tallboy of Taiwan Gold
3) A mostly full fifth of Jaeger
4) Half a fifth of several year old gaoliang (does this stuff go bad?)
5) 3DS

I should be good.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Hess has us make up the day on the next Saturday. Not losing a penny here, just trading one lovely weekend of weather for one lovely weekend of a single day off.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
I got off early today, it's the weekend tomorrow, I just put together a new gaming PC, and Steam started its summer sale today. :getin:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Smart man; use something that can run off of battery power.

Oz_Bonus posted:

I got off early today, it's the weekend tomorrow, I just put together a new gaming PC, and Steam started its summer sale today. :getin:
Fuckin' right. Gaming FYI for people in general: if you want to buy a PC game on release, try Nova or Guanghua or whatever before going digital because starting retail price is usually 900ish NT. Only some games that are pricelocked or full-on imports like CoD, Blizzard stuff, or Guild Wars are full price(1590 or so).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

duckfarts posted:

Fuckin' right. Gaming FYI for people in general: if you want to buy a PC game on release, try Nova or Guanghua or whatever before going digital because starting retail price is usually 900ish NT. Only some games that are pricelocked or full-on imports like CoD, Blizzard stuff, or Guild Wars are full price(1590 or so).

Yeah, definitely. That's what I do, you can often times get the special edition of a game for less than the basic game's retail price. Just use the Steam code and it works just like normal on your account.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

duckfarts posted:

That's how I was able to get Skyrim on release day at some ridiculous low price. Something like 30% cheaper than normal.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Pretty happy I don't have a typhoon day today. Otherwise would be stuck working a Saturday which always blows.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Down here in the south there will be no day off. I enjoy teaching but always enjoy a day off. Maybe I work too much. The loss of money on a day off doesn't seem to bother me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I got to teach my class today, but all later classes are canceled. Still no word on tomorrow though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just got a text from my head NST that tomorrow is a typhoon day. I'm in the Taichung area.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah I just got the text too, and my manager LINEd me earlier. I got a friend in Nantou and he still doesn't know.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Looks like the entire island is shutting down tomorrow, basically

Which should be obvious, if you check out the satellite pictures. There's pretty much nothing the storm can do at this point other than slowly engulf the entire island over the course of the next 24 hours.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't live there anymore, so it's not like it matters to me now, but why is Tainan City always like the LAST place to call it a typhoon day or not?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Seems the storm has finally gotten started. Good thing the local bar is operating on a "rain or shine" policy.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Well I just heard an enormous crash and my apartment shook really hard. We still have power and internet and that's what's really important.

Ed: Oh I didn't hear any screams, so I guess that's good, too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Guess it's basically done at this point. Hooray!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Or, you know, the eye.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/wp201307_sat.html#JMJb3XIhT9CSRDPx.01

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

It totally fell apart.

Though if you check the satellite views, there is another something brewing out there.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/observe/satellite/Sat_EA.htm

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Still raining pretty hard here. I poked my head out onto my balcony earlier and the underpass that goes under the train tracks near my building is completely filled with water.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ravendas posted:

It totally fell apart.

Though if you check the satellite views, there is another something brewing out there.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/observe/satellite/Sat_EA.htm

huh - looking at the 48 hour projection, the mainland are brewing then gonna throw a typhoon at us....
soft power indeed!

:argh:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's not a projection, it's the past 48 hours ;)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's not a projection, it's the past 48 hours ;)

:picard:

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Family Mart now sells Vietnamese spring rolls! :woop:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

Family Mart now sells Vietnamese spring rolls! :woop:

Haha, I'll have to bring some home for my Vietnamese wife tomorrow, see what she thinks.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Ravendas posted:

Haha, I'll have to bring some home for my Vietnamese wife tomorrow, see what she thinks.

Even as a token white dude tourist in Vietnam, they aren't even close to authentic. And the lettuce/greens are a little too plentiful. But they're still tasty, and $42 so neither cheap nor highway robbery.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

USDA Choice posted:

Even as a token white dude tourist in Vietnam, they aren't even close to authentic. And the lettuce/greens are a little too plentiful. But they're still tasty, and $42 so neither cheap nor highway robbery.

You don't have a Vietnamese place close to you? The one near me sells big ones for around 80.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My parents are coming to Taiwan and they've asked for me to arrange airport transportation for them. Everyone's suggested just putting them on a bus but I'm not sure they'll find their hotel and I'm not sure they'll be able to deal well if the taxi drivers there have limited English. My current plan is to go to the airport and put them in a taxi. I'm in Zhongli so it's not too out of my way but does anyone know of any better ways?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

One possible solution is hiring a car service for your parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

gret posted:

One possible solution is hiring a car service for your parents.

I googled for something like this and got a bunch of car rental hits.