Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

nwin posted:

Ok guys-immersion blenders. But here's the caveat. If anyone else can suggest something different, I'm all ears.

The only thing I used my old immersion blender for was soups, maybe 3-4 times. The main function was the mini food processor. I use it to make my pizza sauce. Throw 1-2 cloves garlic, chop, then add whole peeled tomatoes, salt, oregano, crushed red pepper, basil, splash of olive oil, blend it all up.

Sadly, the processor part is cracked and done for so it's in the trash.

Anyone recommend an immersion blender with a good attachment for processing/chopping? Or maybe some other tool? I have a food processor but it's a big 7 cup one I think. I also have a Ninja Blender with the single serve attachment so I've been thinking of just using that instead.

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

What brand? I bet you can find a replacement processor part for a few bucks online. I did when I dropped and cracked the plastic processor bottom for mine. I think mine is a Kitchenaid and there were tons of sites with cheap replacements available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have a kuhn rikon garlic press, and it's honestly kind of nice. 80% of the time I need garlic I just chop it myself - I rarely use "mince" size garlic anyways - I like keeping it in larger chunks or slivers so it doesn't take that long. But my super-easy-mode garlic usage is just to throw a whole unpeeled clove into my press and go to town. No cutting board, no horrendous jarred garlic, no non-use of garlic (are you loving kidding? you'd forego garlic just because you wanted to keep things simple? skipping garlic is like skipping salt or onions or something.)

anyways, another topic : salad spinners. I have a cheap ikea one that honestly works great, but it's sort of breaking down. anyone have one they absolutely love? I use that thing with surprising frequency...

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

anyways, another topic : salad spinners. I have a cheap ikea one that honestly works great, but it's sort of breaking down. anyone have one they absolutely love? I use that thing with surprising frequency...

This is unorthodox as hell, and only works if you have a clean one but....

Toss veggies into lingerie bag, throw in washing machine on a spin cycle (turn off water at the wall first). Immaculately dry lettuce/ kale/ collards/ whatever.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

My issue with salad spinners is this: the handle to spin is always on the top. Which is stupid, because when the thing jiggles about, you want to stabilise it by holding down the top. It starts getting pretty crowded up there.

http://www.amazon.com/Starfrit-060222-001-0000-Salad-Spinner-Purple/dp/B005OLBB5S/

P. good reviews too.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

mindphlux posted:

I have a kuhn rikon garlic press, and it's honestly kind of nice. 80% of the time I need garlic I just chop it myself - I rarely use "mince" size garlic anyways - I like keeping it in larger chunks or slivers so it doesn't take that long. But my super-easy-mode garlic usage is just to throw a whole unpeeled clove into my press and go to town. No cutting board, no horrendous jarred garlic, no non-use of garlic (are you loving kidding? you'd forego garlic just because you wanted to keep things simple? skipping garlic is like skipping salt or onions or something.)

I have that same press and it rocks. Stainless plus it folds out entirely so cleaning isn't annoying. Maybe you're all just better at mincing than I am but it goes much much faster with a press.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

nwin posted:

Ok guys-immersion blenders. But here's the caveat. If anyone else can suggest something different, I'm all ears.

The only thing I used my old immersion blender for was soups, maybe 3-4 times. The main function was the mini food processor. I use it to make my pizza sauce. Throw 1-2 cloves garlic, chop, then add whole peeled tomatoes, salt, oregano, crushed red pepper, basil, splash of olive oil, blend it all up.

Sadly, the processor part is cracked and done for so it's in the trash.

Anyone recommend an immersion blender with a good attachment for processing/chopping? Or maybe some other tool? I have a food processor but it's a big 7 cup one I think. I also have a Ninja Blender with the single serve attachment so I've been thinking of just using that instead.

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Seconding the Bamix. Best, most versatile.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I bought this KitchenAid salad spinner from Costco for about $15.

AVOID THIS FLAMING PIECE OF poo poo LIKE THE PLAGUE.

The locking mechanism sticks and is on the same handle used to spin the bowl. Also, the stopper button barely works at all. This thing is a piece of garbage and if I wasn't so lazy I'd return it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

no non-use of garlic (are you loving kidding? you'd forego garlic just because you wanted to keep things simple? skipping garlic is like skipping salt or onions or something.)

The context implied frozen ragu which already has garlic added at initial prep time.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I've been using this model for years:

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-1071497-S...o+salad+spinner

I don't think I paid nearly that much for it, though. Anyways, it's very sturdy and well-made, and we use it multiple times a week. Very happy with it.

Re: garlic presses. I own one and don't use it very often, but when I do it's usually because I'm trying to be quick and don't want the smell of garlic on my hands/cutting board/counter/knife/etc. 99% of the time I use a microplane or a knife, but that 1% of the time it does come in handy.

GigaFool fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

novamute posted:

I have that same press and it rocks. Stainless plus it folds out entirely so cleaning isn't annoying. Maybe you're all just better at mincing than I am but it goes much much faster with a press.

Over the past two years I've gotten so much better at mincing things in general because of, well, practice. I'm not arguing against the merits of a garlic press, I have one, but just because you're slower than other people doesn't mean you can't get faster :)

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

GigaFool posted:

I've been using this model for years:

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-1071497-S...o+salad+spinner

I don't think I paid nearly that much for it, though. Anyways, it's very sturdy and well-made, and we use it multiple times a week. Very happy with it.

I use the cheaper polycarbonate version of that one and it's still pretty good. The "handle" is still on top, but because it's a broad, flat plunger, it's automatically stable when you use it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Steve Yun posted:

Says $92 to me

I guess that sale ended right after I posted it. Welp :goleft:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

One Swell Foop posted:

I use the cheaper polycarbonate version of that one and it's still pretty good. The "handle" is still on top, but because it's a broad, flat plunger, it's automatically stable when you use it.

I have this one and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-1045421-S...o+salad+spinner

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
I have the same one and honestly, it's nice, but I wouldn't have paid $30 for it. Hunt around Goodwill, I got mine for about $3.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
Really makes you think about food.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Cool, thanks guys. Dino, I completely agree - the ikea one I have has that problem of instability. they tried to fix it by putting a like 'gripping nub' on it, which works ok, but yeah it's inherently awkward spinning something on top. OXO one looks good though, I might give that a try. I like the little plunger thing as opposed to an arm - my cabinets are really crammed as is, so odd shaped things are probably best to avoid.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've got one of those oxo garlic presses which can sort out two or three garlic toes at a time. Good enough for Julia, good enough for me.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

mindphlux posted:

I have to admit, for minced garlic, I just started buying the super-huge container of minced garlic at Sam's. It lasts forever and it's easy. I end up using the garlic liquid to season steaks and pork chops since it doesn't burn.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ugh.

when I first started cooking, when I was maybe 15, my mom always had those jars of garlic in water sitting in our fridge. I happily used them for a year or so. Then on a whim when shopping with her, I bought a real head of garlic and sort of fell over myself at the difference between the two.

just go buy a head of garlic, sit down, and just eat a spoonful of your sams club prechopped garlic, and then a clove of real garlic.

there's such a huge difference, and it's so cheap - there's really no reason to do that to yourself man =(

edit: go kiss a girl afterwards it will be fun

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 13, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Changing the subject and touching back on hand blenders, I get how the Cuisinart is an amazing buy sub $30 bux but holy gently caress is my 15 year old Braun model amazing.

I had to use my brother's Cuisinart for some soup today and I can honestly tell the difference between them. Mine just seems much stronger. Then again my unit is like 15 years old (is this a bad thing?) so I am not sure if it's Gillete or P&G, and I am not sure how De'Longhi is going to mandhandle the brand.

Anyone know how good the "new" Braun stuff is?

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

Has anybody tried out the tri-ply fry pan from ikea?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90207336/
I happened to see it while I was there today, it seems pretty solid, and maybe thicker than some other triply pans.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
tri-ply is tri-ply. Go for it, decent price.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone have any experience with the Ninja 3 in 1 Cooking System? Looks like a pretty clever little combination crock pot/steamer/mini oven thing, and I'm in the market to upgrade my old, lovely, slow cooker. According to random youtube searches and poo poo people seem to like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kind of doubtful that anyone here would buy it, since it's lined with nonstick coating which everyone here will tell you doesn't bode well for its longevity.

It has a searing mode and nonstick lining, which probably means either A) the searing mode is pretty weak so as not to damage the nonstick coating, or B) the nonstick coating will deteriorate pretty quickly.

So... maybe it's awesome but I'm really skeptical.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The nonstick could be hard anodized aluminum, which is actually really hardy. I'm out, so I'm too lazy to actually look, but hard anodized aluminum can take a beating.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've run a hard anodized 12" pan through the wash probably 200 times now, and it's still holding up nicely. I cook fish on it, and pretty much anything where I'd need to get a good sear, but want at least a little nonstick protection. it behaves basically like stainless, but just with a little extra leeway - maybe closer to cast iron. but you can't put cast iron in the wash. and it's better than nonstick because you get a better sear, and can use metal on it and scrape it down pretty good. a+ would buy again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Having seen one at the store, I'm pretty sure the Ninja slow cooker is using PTFE though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hm, that is annoying. Not really a deal breaker, but an annoyance.

Still, I got it on sale and with easy pay, so honestly if it just at least works as a decent steamer/replacement crock pot I'm gonna feel fine. Still, that is something I didn't consider.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone have experience with the Dorkfood sous vide temp controller?

http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone have experience with the Dorkfood sous vide temp controller?

http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4

it looks like it's just a prewired Ranco ETC with a submersible probe and a decal over the controls. it's an industrial quality PID controller, I have two - one in my beer fermentation fridge and one in a freezer I've converted into a kegerator. they're both rock solid and I expect will far outlast my fridges.

http://www.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-111000-Digital-Temperature-Control/dp/B0015NV5BE

honestly I don't even know if it's a submersible probe. it almost looks like they just put some heat shrink tubing over the probe that comes with the normal ranco unit. I'm sure it's fine though, but if you wanna DIY and go all the way, just look into the rancos, they're a bit cheaper.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol reviews for that thing have people complaining about 'clicking'? that's the silliest thing I've ever read. the clicks they make are like if you tapped a pencil on a desk or something.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Is Victoronix still the go-to brand for cheap 8" chef knives?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Skrill.exe posted:

Is Victoronix still the go-to brand for cheap 8" chef knives?
Yep.

Actually, I want to get rid of mine - it's about three years old and has been used a lot. I made a huge upgrade to something way way more expensive so I don't need it anymore. I'll sell it to you for $12.

Let me know if you're interested. Message me, or failing that, post your e-mail and I'll contact you.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

No Wave posted:

Yep.

Actually, I want to get rid of mine - it's about three years old and has been used a lot. I made a huge upgrade to something way way more expensive so I don't need it anymore. I'll sell it to you for $12.

Let me know if you're interested. Message me, or failing that, post your e-mail and I'll contact you.

Thanks but I'm going to head out and pick one up this afternoon so I can use it for dinner. I'm moving in with roommates and I willed my Wusthof set to my brother to avoid the inevitable day I open up the dishwasher and find one of my good knives in there.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Might be placebo but oh my god did a 20 second pass through my vitamix at full speed make my cheap Rioja taste delicious.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

deimos posted:

Might be placebo but oh my god did a 20 second pass through my vitamix at full speed make my cheap Rioja taste delicious.

I'm assuming you're talking about modernist hyperaeration of wine?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about modernist hyperaeration of wine?

Yes, Myhrvold's misnamed "hyperdecanting". I wasn't expecting much out of it but it really did seem to do wonders for the wine.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Largely thanks to this thread, we picked up a Vitamix blender last Friday through my wife's bonus program. Unfortunately, she's already starting to get jealous of how much time Blendy and I are spending together.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

deimos posted:

Yes, Myhrvold's misnamed "hyperdecanting". I wasn't expecting much out of it but it really did seem to do wonders for the wine.
I do this with all my stronger reds now (cab sauv and stronger). Much fun, and it looks super cool. Though it really lets the flaws of the cheaper stuff show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schlitzzzz
Oct 19, 2008
Any recommendations on induction burners? I am mainly interested in using it to sear steaks outside since I am sick of my condo filling up with smoke. Is using a 12" cast iron pan on an induction burner smaller than 12" a bad idea?

• Locked thread