Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Broads getting out soon. He's engaging spaz mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Is it just me or is Watson visibly limping? Stil bowling brilliantly though, looks dangerous

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The Duke is playing another devastating innings.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How on Earth was that not out haha

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

WOW

WOW

gently caress YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That will make Broad even more popular with the Australians.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hahaha wow that umpiring

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WHAT THE gently caress

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think the ump thought the deviation was from the gloves

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
He's clearly still pissed that he had to give Trott out and is loving with Erasmus.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Decisions evening themselves out.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Quanta posted:

Decisions evening themselves out.

Yes, and England are still owed in that regard.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

did he even hit it though? we know how fallible technology is

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

did he even hit it though? we know how fallible technology is

I didn't see an edge on hotspot.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Remember Agar also gets very, very late swing. Too tough to call for the umpire as the ball looked like it just swung extremely late into Haddin's gloves.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
It really obviously deviates on the replay, and there is a spot of heat. It was really out.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Coucho Marx posted:

It really obviously deviates on the replay, and there is a spot of heat. It was really out.

We don't know that.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i'm willing to give the umpire the benefit of the doubt on this one. i mean, they got the 2 england ones wrong. what are the odds of 3 bad decisions?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
This is basically as bad as Donald v Atherton. And just as hilarious.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Well that's what happens when you waste reviews. Still gutting though. Of all the blokes to take the game away from us, Bell and Broad. Ugh.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

thehappyprince posted:

i think the ump thought the deviation was from the gloves

Nobody has quoted the rules to you yet and I'm sad

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
Some stones on that lad Broad.

(hi)

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
What would be the prevailing wisdom for a plan for England here? Bat out the day then go as long into tomorrow session to allow Broad/Bell a chance to hit the nearest 50/100 before declaring? Or just let everyone bat since you still have the better portion of two days to bowl out the Aussies so you may as well let them run around in the field as much as possible before batting?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Correction, random emailer into the TMS inbox, Broad should be dropped because he's poo poo, not because of a non-walk

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Hyperriker posted:

Nobody has quoted the rules to you yet and I'm sad

i meant the wicketkeeper gloves

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Antifreeze Head posted:

What would be the prevailing wisdom for a plan for England here? Bat out the day then go as long into tomorrow session to allow Broad/Bell a chance to hit the nearest 50/100 before declaring? Or just let everyone bat since you still have the better portion of two days to bowl out the Aussies so you may as well let them run around in the field as much as possible before batting?

just keep batting for as long as they can. there's still 2 days and the pitch is only going to get worse

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

thehappyprince posted:

just keep batting for as long as they can. there's still 2 days and the pitch is only going to get worse

Yup. If you get to a lead of 300, pick up the pace a bit, but there's no reason to leave runs on the table here.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
broad is a better allrounder than botham imo

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Broad is basically Flintoff, but whereas Flintoff concentrated all his good performances into about 18 months from the start of the 2004 season, Broad is spacing his out evenly throughout his career.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've managed to miss most of the last 2 days, but I'm glad I haven't watched any of it today. Its the sort of innings that gets Boycott tumescent.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

thehappyprince posted:

i meant the wicketkeeper gloves

aw :(

pogo posted:

Some stones on that lad Broad.

(hi)

Rudi av, how I have missed it~

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I think you mean that broads got some bells on er

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
I have a ticket for day 5 :(

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Darren Lehmann reminds me so much of Minty from Eastenders.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pogo posted:

I have a ticket for day 5 :(

I'll take it off your hands, I'd love to see Bell bat in the flesh

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

tarbrush posted:

Yup. If you get to a lead of 300, pick up the pace a bit, but there's no reason to leave runs on the table here.

Where would the point of diminishing returns be? Clearly England wouldn't ever say they would never, ever declare or Australia could just let England score a billion runs and never even have to worry about putting themselves in a position to lose by batting.

I don't follow a lot of test cricket because it is usually on at an inconvenient time so I'm not really clear where that sweet spot is for declaring.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Where would the point of diminishing returns be? Clearly England wouldn't ever say they would never, ever declare or Australia could just let England score a billion runs and never even have to worry about putting themselves in a position to lose by batting.

I don't follow a lot of test cricket because it is usually on at an inconvenient time so I'm not really clear where that sweet spot is for declaring.

When you're comfortably in front and the pitch starts getting poo poo. It depends on the captain. If you're 500 runs in front in any test it's not really worth continuing to go on as you still need to get 20 wickets.

I'd be surprised if England declared, one of the Australians will remember how to bowl I think. But after the lead got to 250 in this one it was p much over already.

Also I wasn't super duper mad (just bemused) at the Broad decision until Nasser said he showed 'great courage' to stay there. he was just being an arsey twat and got lucky.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Well there's six sessions remaining, the forecast is decent, and knowing Australia they will try to chase any target they're set (for better or worse). So it could be anywhere near as late as halfway through the evening session tomorrow. I mean, it's very unlikely England will last that long, but y'know.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

I'd have declared with a 100 lead tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
England will probably aim for 300, but it's more likely that Broad & Swann will have spastic swipes at terrible deliveries and get caught at gully.
I reckon Austrialia can actually bowl at tail-enders (or at least, Clarke will tell them what to do), so I doubt Finn & Anderson will last long, either.

• Locked thread