Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Velvet Day by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

This one kicks rear end.

thanks here's another

IMG_4016 by s-bothun, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Not sure if this belongs here

Up to the sky by Mijaeus, on Flickr

(there was a rock somewhere, probably).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I went to the mountains and took a ton of landscapes. These are some of my favourites:

Whistler Summer 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I think they would all look better with lower contrast. I like them though.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 10, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Yeah I think the contrast is a bit high, specially on the colour ones.

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

Finally got a remote so I can give this a try, big fan of star trails. Great shot.

May have gone a little far with my colors on these, still have so much to learn with Lightroom and photography in general, but as they say practice, practice, practice....and I know I need more.

Tampa sunset

Nipton sunset

relish_fetish fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 10, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thanks for the comments re: contrast, I'll look at fixing them today.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Krabi, Thailand by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Home from 3 weeks in Thailand, going through things now. I left my computer on downloading while we were away and it seems to have developed abandonment issues and is really making it hard to get through processing stuff. was with the gf who wasn't all keen on going urbexing or seeing the slimier side of things but ... but holy poo poo if anyone goes to bangkok please do not leave without climbing that abandoned skyscraper near Sipphan Taksim it is a freaking photo wonderworld I am so gutted I didn't scope it out sooner. Some guys asked if I wanted to climb it with them that night but I was flying out I was shattered.
Sleep dep'd as poo poo It's like 4am I have this sudden insomnia from the flight home "Generate output panorama" ...........................................:smithicide: JUST ONE MOAR

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 10, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yeah, this is pretty astounding, great job. I have an intervalometer but have yet to spend much time with it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, this is pretty astounding, great job. I have an intervalometer but have yet to spend much time with it.

So, pardon me being a photo noob, But that shot was several long exposures overnight to get those swirls?!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Marshmallow Blue posted:

So, pardon me being a photo noob, But that shot was several long exposures overnight to get those swirls?!

yes, in the old days of film it would've been one exposure most likely, but with digital you'd do a series of long exposures, maybe in the 5-30 minute range and then composite them all using either photoshop or some type of astral photography software.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

MMD3 posted:

yes, in the old days of film it would've been one exposure most likely, but with digital you'd do a series of long exposures, maybe in the 5-30 minute range and then composite them all using either photoshop or some type of astral photography software.

From what I understand, it's actually not recommended to try and do one long exposure with digital because the sensor heats up after being on for so long. I don't know if you can damage it or anything, but it actually affects the exposure (actual "hot spots" appear on the edges or bottom of the frame). That's why people take lots of shots exposures and composite, to avoid that.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Shnakepup posted:

From what I understand, it's actually not recommended to try and do one long exposure with digital because the sensor heats up after being on for so long. I don't know if you can damage it or anything, but it actually affects the exposure (actual "hot spots" appear on the edges or bottom of the frame). That's why people take lots of shots exposures and composite, to avoid that.

yeah, exactly... just causes a lot of unnecessary noise I'm pretty sure and it's so much simpler/cheaper to do multiple exposures and stack w/ digital.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Questions about hot pixels: are they resultant because the sensor physically gets hot? Are they rarer if the temperature is colder outside? And if so, is there any technology to cool down the sensor (like an air conditioner built into an extender?) I am honestly just curious if it does exist, even if it would be expensive

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
IDK about you, but my camera sensor is watercooled.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

According to his flickr it was actually 230 x 60sec exposures

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boneitis posted:

Questions about hot pixels: are they resultant because the sensor physically gets hot?
No, I don't think so.

Boneitis posted:

Are they rarer if the temperature is colder outside?
No, I don't think so.

Boneitis posted:

And if so, is there any technology to cool down the sensor (like an air conditioner built into an extender?)
See previous answers.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Boneitis posted:

is there any technology to cool down the sensor (like an air conditioner built into an extender?)

Nikon are working on it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P7100120.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I like these rocks

Wahconah Falls by jpitha, on Flickr

Power transmission by jpitha, on Flickr

Also: I had no idea about the sensor heating, thats really interesting!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sludge Tank posted:

but holy poo poo if anyone goes to bangkok please do not leave without climbing that abandoned skyscraper near Sipphan Taksim it is a freaking photo wonderworld I am so gutted I didn't scope it out sooner. Some guys asked if I wanted to climb it with them that night but I was flying out I was shattered.
I believe forums poster Ringo R posted some pics from the top.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

A few more from today.

P7100130.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7100174.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Loring Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

so paper.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I love seeing these two close to each other on the same page. I look at the first and think "Goddamn, black and white looks sexy when you have interesting textures" and then I quickly forget that and start drooling over the colors in the second one.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

I love seeing these two close to each other on the same page. I look at the first and think "Goddamn, black and white looks sexy when you have interesting textures" and then I quickly forget that and start drooling over the colors in the second one.

Thanks. Here's some more color :dominic:

Calportland by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
woo, misty.

DSC_8857-Edit-2.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8845.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8841.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8834.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm just gonna keep going here.

K. F. Jacobsen & Co. by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 12, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Quit getting your Nighttime Long Exposures in my Landscapes thread! :argh:

(Nice shots though)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 29, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leave this one alone because it owns.

Toss in some hippy lugging an acoustic guitar and you've got a John Denver album cover. Toss in some film grain and you could fool people into thinking it was shot in the 70's!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

urban landscapes

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrBlandAverage posted:

K. F. Jacobsen & Co. by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I live like... very close to this, you should hit me up for some night shooting sometime.

Great great shot by the way!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Instaxin' :homebrew:

MrBlandAverage posted:

You're on fire.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 12, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Goddamnit aliencowboy, now I want an instax.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've been having lots of fun with the Photosphere feature on my Android phone. These photos were all stitched using multiple exposures and edited in-phone.

Devil's Backbone by chazaraz, on Flickr

Atop Mt. Baldy by chazaraz, on Flickr

Question for you avid hikers - is there any good gear that will allow me to carry a full frame camera somewhere accessible (i.e. not in a bag)? Maybe some kind of vest with straps that can keep the camera secure while I'm trekkin'

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
:siren: Instax Party! :siren:

(Very close to finishing all the US trip photos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

1st AD posted:

I've been having lots of fun with the Photosphere feature on my Android phone. These photos were all stitched using multiple exposures and edited in-phone.

Devil's Backbone by chazaraz, on Flickr

Atop Mt. Baldy by chazaraz, on Flickr

Question for you avid hikers - is there any good gear that will allow me to carry a full frame camera somewhere accessible (i.e. not in a bag)? Maybe some kind of vest with straps that can keep the camera secure while I'm trekkin'

A blackrapid of some kind might be useful. Hangs the camera down on your side so that it's not so in the way. They make vest versions too (they can be pricey though!)

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rapid-FastenR-3-Curved-Camera/dp/B00460RUR6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1373695589&sr=8-11&keywords=black+rapid or http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RSD-1BB-Double-Strap-Black/dp/B003KIIQYG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1373695589&sr=8-8&keywords=black+rapid

I'm sure there are knockoffs on ebay too, but I dunno how good they are.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 13, 2013