Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

tbp posted:

Hm I guess you do have a point, I hadn't really thought about that. I bet most Americans would get Canada right but the other two wrong.

I felt compelled to search for a survey and here's what I got: about 50%.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/05/11/half-of-americans-know-the-capital-of-canada-vancouver-sun/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Please, I'm Jamaican and the first thing people ask me is if I have seen Cool Runnings. You people don't know suffering.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I really like this map, just from a visual standpoint. It's a representation of shipping line density.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

iajanus posted:

To be fair this happens a lot; hell, I've lost count of the times I've heard how I live in the capital of Australia (Sydney), and my cousins live in the capital of Canada (Toronto) and New Zealand (Auckland). People just have a natural tendency to assume the largest city is the capital, irrespective of whether the one in their country is.

Australia is extra special because you get the two-fer. "Ohhhh....right, right, right--the capital's not Sydney; it's Melbourne!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

Australia is extra special because you get the two-fer. "Ohhhh....right, right, right--the capital's not Sydney; it's Melbourne!"

Heh, everyone knows it's Wien :rolleye:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Thank god I am Austrian, and not Australian. I tell you, they are the worst country in Europe.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

I really like this map, just from a visual standpoint. It's a representation of shipping line density.

This really makes you appreciate human engineering. Look at that density near the Panama and Suez Canals.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Amarkov posted:

This really makes you appreciate human engineering. Look at that density near the Panama and Suez Canals.

Look at the English channel, if you really want to see something scary. Doesn't get any worse than that.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Isn't this one technically incorrect, though? I thought that Great Britain was only the big island, and didn't include the fiddly bits like Mann and the Hebrides and such.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Unreal_One posted:

Isn't this one technically incorrect, though? I thought that Great Britain was only the big island, and didn't include the fiddly bits like Mann and the Hebrides and such.

Technically yes, though Great Britain is probably the most imprecise term of the lot of them as it very much depends on the context of what is being discussed. Most everyone in Britain will use the other terms in their technically correct sense, but Great Britain could mean the Island, England Scotland and Wales, or the UK depending on what's being discussed. But yeah definitely not the Isle of Man.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vegetable posted:

You should all move to city-states because we don't have this problem :v:

Are you posting from ancient Greece?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

Are you posting from ancient Greece?

He could be from Singapore!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Or Monaco or Vatican City! (I had thought there were more)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Unreal_One posted:

More importantly the northern bit of the Welsh border is drawn funny. The Wirral isn't part of Wales, dammit!

England, 876 AD

The border between Viking and Anglo-Saxon territory can still be seen today in place names. The Old Norse toponym "-by" or "village" is only really found in areas marked as the Danelaw here.

Place names ending in or containing "-by"

There's a couple of bits that don't match up, like I could only find two places in East Anglia and the cluster on the Wirral (the peninsula inbetween Wales and Liverpool). I can't really explain the first one, although it might have something to do with the Viking rule over East Anglia lasting significantly less time than in the northern parts. The Wirral was the site of a Viking colony apparently established around the turn of the 10th century by Vikings expelled from Ireland. It was a pretty busy port from the Iron Age because of the Dee estuary which would let you sail a ship up it when the tide was in and then turn into a giant beach when the tide went out.

Edit: Also on the Wirral is Bromborough, the most likely candidate for the site of the Battle of Brunanburh during which Æthelstan, King of the English, defeated a coalition of Norse and Scottish forces that were invading the north of England. 5 Norse kings, the son of Constantine II of Scotland and a bunch of ordinary people on both sides died.

Michael Livingston posted:

…it would be no small stretch to consider the battle the moment when Englishness came of age. The men who fought and died on that field forged a political map of the future that remains with us today, arguably making the Battle at Brunanburh one of the most significant battles in the long history not just of England but of the whole of the British Isles.
:black101:

XMNN fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 12, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PrinceRandom posted:

Huh...I'm surprised at how little traffic (relatively) Australia gets compared to a lot of other places.

I'm guessing it's because a lot of the other traffic is just stopping at points "along to way" to somewhere else, like around Africa, Indian Ocean, etc..., where if you're going to Australia, it's mostly just to go to Australia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I'm surprised at how little traffic (relatively) Australia gets compared to a lot of other places.

I'm guessing it's because a lot of the other traffic is just stopping at points "along to way" to somewhere else, like around Africa, Indian Ocean, etc..., where if you're going to Australia, it's mostly just to go to Australia.
It's because Australia is terrified of boats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It makes perfect sense. Population-wise, Australia is barely twice the size of Belgium. For me, the surprising part of that map is South America.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Or Monaco or Vatican City! (I had thought there were more)
San Marino!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It makes perfect sense. Population-wise, Australia is barely twice the size of Belgium. For me, the surprising part of that map is South America.

South America is actually the reason I went looking for this map, as I was trying to find out how widely trafficked the Strait of Magellan was. It turns out it's not... Argentina and Chile seem so lonely :(

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

PrinceRandom posted:

South America is actually the reason I went looking for this map, as I was trying to find out how widely trafficked the Strait of Magellan was. It turns out it's not... Argentina and Chile seem so lonely :(

Yeah, one of the biggest things that map illustrates is what a good investment the Panama and Suez canals were for world shipping.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm pretty surprised at how much traffic Hawaii sees.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm pretty surprised at how much traffic Hawaii sees.

The weird thing about Hawaii is that the biggest part of their traffic seems to be back-and-forth with the continental US. If it were used as a stopping point on the way to Asia/Australia/et cetera, that would seem to make more sense.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

prefect posted:

The weird thing about Hawaii is that the biggest part of their traffic seems to be back-and-forth with the continental US. If it were used as a stopping point on the way to Asia/Australia/et cetera, that would seem to make more sense.
Does this include cruises? Is Hawaii self sufficient in terms of food and other necessities?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

chippocrates posted:

Does this include cruises? Is Hawaii self sufficient in terms of food and other necessities?

Hell no.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hawaii is covered in retarded rich people.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

chippocrates posted:

No, when I was there in 2004 milk was like $8 a gallon at Safeway, which should give you an idea of what the food prices are like.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
Hawaii has like a ten day reserve of oil at any given point, and probably similar quantities of other necessities, so yeah it gets a lot of traffic just to keep it running. I suppose that's probably also why Anchorage looks to get a way disproportionate amount of traffic as well?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

prefect posted:

Modern cargo ships generally have sufficient range that they can proceed directly from Hong Kong to LA (just for example) without needing to make stops on the way, so unless a ship is picking up or dropping off something in Hawaii there's no reason to go there. I wouldn't be surprised if goods produced in Asia and sold in Hawaii were typically shipped right past Hawaii to LA, warehoused, then put on a different boat and sent to Hawaii.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, there would be zero reason for a large ship to stop off in Hawaii during a journey from Asia to North America, or vice versa. Happened a lot back in the 19th century (there was a good triangle trade going, and not despicable like that other one), but ships are far more capable these days.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

prefect posted:

If I can recall correctly, Hawaii also produces a very large amount of Sugarcane and Bananas (wiki says that 88% of the US produced bananas come from Hawaii).

The US in general seems to have a very large domestic Merchant Marine fleet , just looking at the trade from Alaska and Puerto Rico to the Mainland.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 12, 2013

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

Edit: Also on the Wirral is Bromborough, the most likely candidate for the site of the Battle of Brunanburh during which Æthelstan, King of the English, defeated a coalition of Norse and Scottish forces that were invading the north of England. 5 Norse kings, the son of Constantine II of Scotland and a bunch of ordinary people on both sides died.

:black101:

As an Englishman living in England in 2013 I can only say it's a pity they didn't wipe us all the gently caress out back then.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Regarde Aduck posted:

As an Englishman living in England in 2013 I can only say it's a pity they didn't wipe us all the gently caress out back then.

Aha, I didn't mean for that to come across all nationalistic if that's how it read, it's just one of the more interesting bits of local history from where I grew up.

On the bright side, Æthelstan was invading Wales and Scotland before that campaign, so if they hadn't fought the Saxons there, even more bits of Britain might have been filled with English people now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tbp posted:

Hm I guess you do have a point, I hadn't really thought about that. I bet most Americans would get Canada right but the other two wrong.

I am pretty sure most americans would think ottowa was a made up word if you asked them what it was.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Real hurthling! posted:

I am pretty sure most americans would think ottowa was a made up word if you asked them what it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_7xvGrU34&t=158s
Even Michael Moore agrees

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tractor fanatic posted:

I don't get why people get offended by this. They obviously don't actually think you know the person they're asking about, but on the off chance you do, it's a great small-world moment.

I think most ex-pats have actually had that line work. It gets asked at such an annoying high frequency that you kinda tune it out but when it works, WHOA. When I lived in Germany, I'd get asked, "Oh, you're from the US, do you know so-and-so or so-and-so?" all the time. All the time. Worked once. Holy gently caress was that crazy. A lot of my American buddies had similar stories. In my case it was totally a friend-of-a-friend thing, real distant. Still crazy but nothing worth bragging about. My buddy, on the other hand, she had a great story. She hooked up with a guy at a bar and found out that he knew a guy she dated in middle school.

Coming from Milwaukee, I'd often describe where I came from as "near Chicago" and when that didn't work "near Detroit". That was usually enough, though I'm fairly confident that if I asked them to point to "Chicago" or "Detroit" on a blank map of the US they'd be totally, and I mean totally, hosed. That's fair, not a big deal. But they knew what "Chicago" and "Detroit" were, you know? The trick came when people knew enough to be dangerous. Because rather than accepting "Chicago" or "Detroit" as abstractions they wanted something concrete. That pretty much always lead to me saying, "Yes, I'm from Texas." Because that was what they wanted to hear.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

PrinceRandom posted:

The significant shipping density north of Norway and south of Greenland is unexpected.

For an interesting juxtaposition, airline route map (circa 2009):

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

The significant shipping density north of Norway and south of Greenland is unexpected.

It's shipping into/out of Murmansk, which is actually ice-free year-round thanks to the peculiarity of ocean currents.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That's John Candy

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

That's John Candy

The movie was written by Michael Moore.

Shbobdb posted:

I think most ex-pats have actually had that line work. It gets asked at such an annoying high frequency that you kinda tune it out but when it works, WHOA. When I lived in Germany, I'd get asked, "Oh, you're from the US, do you know so-and-so or so-and-so?" all the time. All the time. Worked once. Holy gently caress was that crazy. A lot of my American buddies had similar stories. In my case it was totally a friend-of-a-friend thing, real distant. Still crazy but nothing worth bragging about. My buddy, on the other hand, she had a great story. She hooked up with a guy at a bar and found out that he knew a guy she dated in middle school.

Coming from Milwaukee, I'd often describe where I came from as "near Chicago" and when that didn't work "near Detroit". That was usually enough, though I'm fairly confident that if I asked them to point to "Chicago" or "Detroit" on a blank map of the US they'd be totally, and I mean totally, hosed. That's fair, not a big deal. But they knew what "Chicago" and "Detroit" were, you know? The trick came when people knew enough to be dangerous. Because rather than accepting "Chicago" or "Detroit" as abstractions they wanted something concrete. That pretty much always lead to me saying, "Yes, I'm from Texas." Because that was what they wanted to hear.

I've been an ex-pat for 3 years and I honestly don't think I've ever been asked if I know Bob from City, State yes. I did recently start teaching English so maybe it'll start.

Someone mentioned the Scots and Welsh as being red-haired which reminded me of this. Does anyone know who that is out in Russia? I thought maybe it was the Tatars but my girlfriend (who is from Yekaterinburg) doesn't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Someone mentioned the Scots and Welsh as being red-haired which reminded me of this. Does anyone know who that is out in Russia? I thought maybe it was the Tatars but my girlfriend (who is from Yekaterinburg) doesn't think so.
After doing some googling, I think it's supposed to be the Urdmurts.

Edit: GIS first result for Urdmurts:

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 13, 2013