Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midrena
May 2, 2009

Begath posted:

Looks like there is more news. Hex will be at Gen Con in Indianapolis next month, hosting a league that will reward prizes in game.

http://hextcg.com/hex-at-gen-con/

Isn't it a little weird to be doing tournaments for a game that won't be released yet? :shrug:

Apparently they're charging :10bux: to get to play the game, so having a tournament with prizes sounds better than "Hey guys, pay us to try out a demo of our game."

Midrena fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Begath posted:

Looks like there is more news. Hex will be at Gen Con in Indianapolis next month, hosting a league that will reward prizes in game.

http://hextcg.com/hex-at-gen-con/

Isn't it a little weird to be doing tournaments for a game that won't be released yet? :shrug:

It worked for DOTA 2, which still hasn't officially 'launched' yet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I can't wrap my head around Comet Strike for it being very useful. Viewing it with the equipment options sheds a little light I think though:

The legendary equipment gives you a 1/4 chance of just winning... Not sure i'm a fan of that. The whisper of doom equipment makes me think maybe this would be a card to use if you wanted to use a specific champion that doesn't match the cards you are playing since they have threshold requirements.

Or maybe you use this card if you are running multicolored decks? I don't know :psyduck:. Maybe a late game card to use if you are playing a mill deck?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much the codes for the extra mercenary will go for and whether the sleeves will also be redeemable by code (they have no way of tracking users because nobody has signed up yet), kinda bummed that because I don't live in America I won't have the chance basically ever to earn bonus stuff like that for this 100% digital tcg

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

katkillad2 posted:

The legendary equipment gives you a 1/4 chance of just winning... Not sure i'm a fan of that.

Remember that equipment is for PvE only.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Zurai posted:

Remember that equipment is for PvE only.

Yea, I did forget. Still, seems like you could easily cheese PVE with that card if you had both of those pieces of equipment. Just keep restarting until you had the card in hand and see if you win during your first turn.

I think I remember reading there were "lives" in PVE while in a dungeon so maybe restarting a match counts as using a life.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, I did forget. Still, seems like you could easily cheese PVE with that card if you had both of those pieces of equipment. Just keep restarting until you had the card in hand and see if you win during your first turn.

I think I remember reading there were "lives" in PVE while in a dungeon so maybe restarting a match counts as using a life.

How do you win on the first turn with it? The thing that makes it 0 cost after revealing it shuffles it back in. Am glad now though that equipment is PvE only.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

PrinnySquadron posted:

How do you win on the first turn with it? The thing that makes it 0 cost after revealing it shuffles it back in. Am glad now though that equipment is PvE only.

I'm just bad at reading comprehension today apparently. I interpreted it, probably incorrectly, that it shuffles back in after you cast it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Technically you do draw a card after shuffling it back in, so there is a very slight chance you will draw it again and cast to maybe win on the first turn. But then that's (probability of getting it in your opening hand) * (probability of redrawing that specific card from the deck) * 25% chance to do 1000 damage to the enemy champion.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Technically you do draw a card after shuffling it back in, so there is a very slight chance you will draw it again and cast to maybe win on the first turn. But then that's (probability of getting it in your opening hand) * (probability of redrawing that specific card from the deck) * 25% chance to do 1000 damage to the enemy champion.

Chance of getting it in your opening hand, ignoring mulligans, is roughly 45% if you have 4 copies I believe.

Chance of drawing the same copy after reducing it's cost to 0 is 1/54, assuming you play a 60 card deck.

So doing what you say is roughly 1 in 470. If you want to keep restarting games until that happens, go hog wild.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I think it's a safe assumption that restarts are considered losses/lives lost for dungeons, and we already know raids don't always adhere to "kill opposing player via damage to win". I'm really not worried about Comet Strike's equipment. Argus, Herald of Doom is better as a colorless game-changer. If you're concerned about breaking PvE, Orson's Dream with both its equipment equipped is effectively an infinitely large hexproof 2-drop creature.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 6, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

If you want to break PVE there's like fifty ways to do it that we've seen so far. I think it's fair to assume that at this point they have thought of that and planned accordingly

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Even with the equipment, Comet Strike is nowhere near overpowered. Considering how long it takes to reach 10 mana, I'd say that for it to even be worth including a 10 mana card in your deck it has to be a guaranteed win condition if it's not countered. Comparing Comet Strike to something like a high-powered Eye of Creation, or Argus, or the Master Theorycrafter, or King Gabriel, or Wrath of Zakir in PVE... I don't think it comes out well. Even a 10-mana Life Siphon compares pretty favorably, honestly.

If you were mad enough to include four copies in your deck, you'd have a decent chance of getting it in your opening hand, but then to actually play it you'd have to fish it out of your deck again. Which makes it substantially less powerful than Replicator's Gambit, since the latter almost guarantees a win if you draw the relevant card while the former only gives you a 25% chance.

I just wish they'd given us more than two new cards and information about a con I can't go to... :(

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Making my whole GenCon group do this so I can have all the codes.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't really care for that red beater. I hate the idea of Hellbent in general, and I don't think that 3/3 is enough to balance it out.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Hellbent is a mechanic to give traditionally weak card advantage colors, board advantage for being out of cards. This fits in extremely well with most "red" decks because their usual strategy is to keep an extremely low mana curve and dump their whole hand and win on turn 4-5. Now this dude gives you a little bit more reach, if your plan doesn't come together the way you hoped, or if it does come together the way you hoped, he helps make that win faster.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Konstantin posted:

It worked for DOTA 2, which still hasn't officially 'launched' yet.

Yea but DotA 2 was in beta when the had the first international. Lots of people were already playing the game, including those in the tournament, and everyone interested in DotA had a context of how the game was played. Its a little weird to have a "tournament" before you have an alpha out and allow players to practice the game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I like it, pretty much creates as close to an equal footing environment the game is ever going to have.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I like it, pretty much creates as close to an equal footing environment the game is ever going to have.

I'm not sure, but I think you're talking about the gen con tourney? If so, then how is it going to make the game more equal? The cards to be competitive aren't going to be that difficult to acquire unless you are absolutely against spending money for a TCG, unless you mean skill wise? Aren't they going to allow anyone inside a guild practice with phantom copies of decks that other guild members put up? You could spend nothing and learn the inner workings of all the best PvP decks if this were the case. Of course, CZE could lock that behind VIP or something.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I don't really go to the CZ boards any more, but does anyone know if you'll be able to get multiple copies of promos at GenCon or if there is going to be a 1 per account deal? I assume everything will be codes since we don't have accounts yet.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Blazing Zero posted:

I'm not sure, but I think you're talking about the gen con tourney? If so, then how is it going to make the game more equal? The cards to be competitive aren't going to be that difficult to acquire unless you are absolutely against spending money for a TCG, unless you mean skill wise? Aren't they going to allow anyone inside a guild practice with phantom copies of decks that other guild members put up? You could spend nothing and learn the inner workings of all the best PvP decks if this were the case. Of course, CZE could lock that behind VIP or something.

You can do that right now in Magic by putting torn up pieces of paper with card names into your card sleeves.

Either way, he's taking about the fact that everyone would be going in mostly blind, and thus being the most "equal" in terms of experience.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Karnegal posted:

I don't really go to the CZ boards any more, but does anyone know if you'll be able to get multiple copies of promos at GenCon or if there is going to be a 1 per account deal? I assume everything will be codes since we don't have accounts yet.
Nothing I have seen; one of the millions of Hex sites that popped up like a mushroom has this actually useful feature that tracks every post by a CZE employee on the Hex forums so you don't need to dig through the poo poo

I too hope they make promos (all of them if possible, but at least the ones until the game goes into beta) redeemable via codes because then instead of spending thousands of dollars on flights + hotels + etc I can just scalp that poo poo

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Karnegal posted:

It kind of sounds like the alternate art card isn't guaranteed. They had more details in the article on their website.

quote:

$10 will get you a wristband to play all weekend long and a code redeemable in-game for a yet-to-be-revealed Mercenary and one free starter deck.

While you play, each game you win will earn you tickets redeemable at the league HQ for other cool in-game prizes like never before seen sleeves and this guy …

(Shows picture of alternate art card)

So you actually have to win matches to potentially get the card. You'll have to give us a trip report of the convention afterwards!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Go RV! posted:

You can do that right now in Magic by putting torn up pieces of paper with card names into your card sleeves.

Either way, he's taking about the fact that everyone would be going in mostly blind, and thus being the most "equal" in terms of experience.

MTG became immediately more fun for me and all my friends when we did this. We put Land cards into sleeves and then put printouts of the cards we would be playing with in front of the lands so they felt like actual cards. We ended up having a lot more fun because we could play whatever we wanted and it didn't cost us a small fortune. Still needed actual cards for tournaments, so we bought cards individually for this.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Karnegal posted:

The rewards are only limited in that Gen Con is the best FOUR days in gaming =)

If you want the AA Ozawa, you will be able to obtain it. We'll showcase exactly how the LAN and rewards all work before Gen Con.

If the LAN is anything like our WoWTCG events-- and I assume it is-- you'll get tickets for playing and potentially additional tickets if you win. We're very much of a "everybody gets something" mindset for events like this.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

So you actually have to win matches to potentially get the card. You'll have to give us a trip report of the convention afterwards!

I'll do this! I'll try to get some pictures too, maybe video if I get ambitious.

Blinkman987 posted:

The rewards are only limited in that Gen Con is the best FOUR days in gaming =)

If you want the AA Ozawa, you will be able to obtain it. We'll showcase exactly how the LAN and rewards all work before Gen Con.

If the LAN is anything like our WoWTCG events-- and I assume it is-- you'll get tickets for playing and potentially additional tickets if you win. We're very much of a "everybody gets something" mindset for events like this.

Awesome! A friend I recruited into the KS is part of my GenCon group, and we're planning on killing a lot of down hours at the Hex LAN. So, is all of the real action happening at the LAN and the CZ booth is just a demo to rope in the uninitiated?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Karnegal posted:

I'll do this! I'll try to get some pictures too, maybe video if I get ambitious.

Awesome! A friend I recruited into the KS is part of my GenCon group, and we're planning on killing a lot of down hours at the Hex LAN. So, is all of the real action happening at the LAN and the CZ booth is just a demo to rope in the uninitiated?

Depends on some variables once we actually hit the floor in Indy. But I like to think of the booth as opportunities to bring people into the community and grow the game by showing them how awesome HEX is ;)

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Looks like they are making a few updates to symbols on the cards. No more boxed resource costs and a battle axe instead of crossed swords. The shield is a little different too.

Compared to:

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Today's card previews:

Both seem fairly solid to me, although the Living Totem is kind of expensive to pump.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Kairos posted:

Today's card previews:

Both seem fairly solid to me, although the Living Totem is kind of expensive to pump.

With the equipment it's a bargain, though.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Living Totem will be amazing to grab in limited, though.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I must have some kind of learning disability because I'm still not 100% clear on the Hex Promo stuff

Cory posted:

The mercenaries and alternate art cards will be included in the booster pack treasure chests generated during the hours of the event (in the case of Gen Con 2014, it would be 12 AM Thursday to 11:59 PM Sunday, across all four days of the convention)
So as long as a booster is opened between this time it's gonna have a special treasure chest, or as long as a booster is opened AT THE EVENT between this time it will contain a promo chest?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Any booster opened anywhere in the world during a special event time period gets the special event treasure chest loot table. This year's GenCon loot will also be distributed during the time period of GenCon 2014.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The Wizard is a real falvor win in terms of design. It looks like a solid limited card, but mainly I'm excited about it because of the theme. The totem is interesting as well.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

I like both for limited. The totem a little less because of it's cost to pump. It's a solid pick if you're looking for a win more card though. I can't say anything bad about the wizard in limited. It seems almost underpriced for what you get.

The altered chest loot tables for packs opened during events is very interesting to me. There's an official forum thread whining about it creating a situation where people only want to open packs/draft during events. What do you all think about that? Set 1 probably won't really experience much from this effect, but future sets may see a slowdown in drafting outside those events. What really excites me about it is that it will create a TF2-like crate thing. You could hoard chests from the events and resell them much later for a high price based on potential contents.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Blazing Zero posted:

The altered chest loot tables for packs opened during events is very interesting to me. There's an official forum thread whining about it creating a situation where people only want to open packs/draft during events. What do you all think about that? Set 1 probably won't really experience much from this effect, but future sets may see a slowdown in drafting outside those events. What really excites me about it is that it will create a TF2-like crate thing. You could hoard chests from the events and resell them much later for a high price based on potential contents.

Nobody's gonna wait 361 days a year to draft anything. The week before an event, yeah maybe a bit, but who cares. If you're smart you'll just arbitrage the hell out of the chests.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

That implies that gen con will be the only event with an altered loot table for the chests. I don't think this will be so. Why would they even go to the trouble of making a whole event system with altered loot tables for just one thing a year? They could easily use it for holidays, events other than gencon and game lore based events. Seeing as it motivates people to tear open packs, (reducing existing stock + motivating new purchases) I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Have they said if you get chests for packs opened via draft?

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Wait, so you get chests and you can sit on them? They're not automatically opened with the rest of your pack? So you just sit on your chests until there's an event and crack them all? Or is their loot table determined at the time you open the pack?

Edit: Thanks, I'm retarded. I actually read the entire announcement and managed to forget about that passage. Cheers.

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, so you get chests and you can sit on them? They're not automatically opened with the rest of your pack? So you just sit on your chests until there's an event and crack them all? Or is their loot table determined at the time you open the pack?

http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/
"There are also Special Events, which include holidays and conventions like Gen Con 2014. If the chest is generated (meaning you opened the pack during the event), it will have a stamp that lets you know it has a modified loot table to include the special event items."

• Locked thread