Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If not a remake of all three routes (which would honestly be pretty ambitious), I'd place my money on a pure Heaven's Feel adaptation acting essentially as a sequel to Fate/Zero.

Hopefully with Return to the Spring to annoy Rodyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

You'll get Cherry Blossom Dream and love it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

If not a remake of all three routes (which would honestly be pretty ambitious), I'd place my money on a pure Heaven's Feel adaptation acting essentially as a sequel to Fate/Zero.

I'd say Return to the Spring would be the most likely ending in the event they do a Heaven's Feel series. Having the protagonist die and the main heroine waste away in delusions for the rest of her years would be such a massive downer to end on. Return to the Spring is honestly just more complete, especially since it finishes up with Shirou vs. Kotomine, a perfectly good thematic way to end the route.

Regardless, I'll definitely be there. Remaking stay night would be kinda pointless, but they have to know that there's a lot of demand out there for the spiritual successor to zero.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Sylphid posted:

I'd say Return to the Spring would be the most likely ending in the event they do a Heaven's Feel series. Having the protagonist die and the main heroine waste away in delusions for the rest of her years would be such a massive downer to end on. Return to the Spring is honestly just more complete, especially since it finishes up with Shirou vs. Kotomine, a perfectly good thematic way to end the route.

It also has a small tie-in to Kara no Kyoukai, maybe a cameo? :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They said Fate/Stay Night and not Fate, so I doubt it's Extra or Apocrypha.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Be that as it may, I'm hoping it's an animation of Fate: Unlimited Codes, and every week we get twenty minutes of nonstop airjuggles and superflashes.

Seriously, though, I'm down with whatever. Nasu and ufotable are a match made in the Origin. :dance:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
On a related note, Prisma Ilya's surprisingly not-painful so far, (and if I recall the manga, the first episode should be the worst of it,) and we still get a lot of Rin being Rin, so that's a plus.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Sylphid posted:

Regardless, I'll definitely be there. Remaking stay night would be kinda pointless, but they have to know that there's a lot of demand out there for the spiritual successor to zero.
I largely agree that Heaven's Feel is a good segue from Fate/Zero (Especially with the introduction of Zouken, who becomes a loose end in the anime since he doesn't appear in any of the sequels as things currently stand.)
The only major problems I have (Which I would never consider obstacles big enough to warrant not making a HF anime, mind) are (VN/Heaven's Feel Big Spoilers): Saber and Gilgamesh (Especially Gilgamesh.) Having two of the central players from F/Z reduced to bit players in the sequel is an unavoidable and unpleasant fact of life if you do Heaven's Feel. Saber's story in F/Z is structured in a way where the only natural progression from there is the Fate route. Even the UBW route just abandons that as a matter of course, but HF kicks it up a notch. How will Saber's tragic destiny be resolved? By dumping her into goo and removing her from play early on! (I don't even need to get into what happens later.) Moving directly from F/Z, Gilgamesh works in either Fate or UBW, since he's built up to be this giant badass and he's basically the or at least "an" end boss in either of those.. but he really gets the short end of the stick in Heaven's Feel. As a sequel to F/Z, his fate is arguably even more anti-climatic than in the VN. At least there his introduction as a mysterious figure with an unknown purpose involving Sakura leads to :wtf: only after he gets his time in the spotlight in the other two arcs. As a straight sequel, I think his badassery in F/Z works against him.

But ultimately I think F/Z does set up enough elements at play in Heaven's Feel to make it a 'natural' sequel, since that's the only arc with Angra Mainyu and Zouken, the former of which at the end of the day is the True Final Boss (Sort of.)

And it goes without saying that even despite these issues, I hope they don't change anything or attempt to shoehorn in things from other arcs like the original anime did if they are doing Heaven's Feel.

Redcrimson posted:

It also has a small tie-in to Kara no Kyoukai, maybe a cameo? :allears:
What did? I've never watched those, I guess I should? (I'm just now getting around to reading Tsukihime.) I have no idea how those tie into the Nasu-verse.

Waffleman_ posted:

They said Fate/Stay Night and not Fate, so I doubt it's Extra or Apocrypha.
This gives me hope.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 12, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

The cameo is a single line of text that's itself only a wink wink, blink and you miss it. I wouldn't watch it just to understand the reference.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Kara no Kyoukai movies are pretty swell though worth watching anyway.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

psyer posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-12/ufotable-to-produce-new-fate/stay-night-project

ufotable confirmed they are animating Fate/Stay Night. Don't know whether it is a remake or Heaven's Feel.

:neckbeard:

I don't even care what they adapt, I just know I want it. This is what I've been hoping for since the moment they did Fate Zero.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Zogundar posted:

What did? I've never watched those, I guess I should? (I'm just now getting around to reading Tsukihime.) I have no idea how those tie into the Nasu-verse

There's a throwaway line in the True End for HF that mentions that (VN spoilers)Rin went to a famous dollmaster to construct Shirou's new body. The implication is that this person is Aozaki Touko, the mage that Shiki Ryougi and Mikiya work for in Kara no Kyoukai. She is also the sister of the woman who gives Shiki Tohno his glasses in Tsukihime.

KnK was basically a prototype for Tsukihime, except that it's actually good and has compelling characters. The movies were also animated by ufotable and look loving amazing. If you are even remotely interested in the Type-Moon universe, you should really watch them.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 12, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

I can definitely see your point, but I disagree about Saber getting the short straw. Saber Alter isn't Saber turning evil, per se. She's still the same person, just what she'd become if she abandoned her ideals, her affection toward anyone actually living, and of course her wish. All that remains of her is her bitter memories of becoming a distant, unapproachable king and her feelings as she surveyed her destroyed kingdom at Camlann.

Although she certainly shows remorse as her normal self, Alter is instead filled with blinding rage at the world that rejected and failed her, and it's a side of her that never really comes out during either Fate or UBW. Fleshed out a bit more during a hypothetical anime, I think Alter could be a welcome change to the usual Saber.

I do agree entirely on Gilgamesh though. It's a good way to show how strong Sakura is getting as the Shadow, but as far as bringing thematic justice to the winner of the Fourth War, to be so ignominiously killed off, doesn't sit well with me, especially as a sequel series. I'm torn on whether that's one thing ufotable should change, or keep the same. I don't know how they'd keep him alive for a while longer and keep the same general plot, but I'm sure it'll be fine either way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd really like it if they did something with Gilgamesh instead of just kill him off to show how strong Sakura is. Like yeah, he's shown prominently as a major villain in two routes, but you could've still done something different with him in Heaven's Feel. Like making him into one of the good guys or something, he was called chaotic good originally and I was hoping to see that manifest in some way, but nothing was ever really done with it. Hell, you could use him as the person who fights Saber Alter, creating a role reversal as to what their chemistry usually is. Just, something different than him getting eaten would be nice.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

On the subject of Gil: Working on the assumption that this would be a slightly reworked heavens feel to fit as a direct sequel to Fate/Zero, one thing they could do to mitigate this somewhat is to add some scenes of Kirei and Gil doing their thing behind the scenes. Since Zero has already established their characters, their existence and motivations becoming clearer earlier on would not be much of a problem. This could have the added benefit of allowing them to sneak in some of the exposition that would be missing due to the exclusion of Fate and UBW. I don't know how well that would actually work though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
:gonk: More Heaven's Feel super big spoilers, run, children! :gonk:

Sylphid posted:

I can definitely see your point, but I disagree about Saber getting the short straw. Saber Alter isn't Saber turning evil, per se. She's still the same person, just what she'd become if she abandoned her ideals, her affection toward anyone actually living, and of course her wish. All that remains of her is her bitter memories of becoming a distant, unapproachable king and her feelings as she surveyed her destroyed kingdom at Camlann.

Although she certainly shows remorse as her normal self, Alter is instead filled with blinding rage at the world that rejected and failed her, and it's a side of her that never really comes out during either Fate or UBW. Fleshed out a bit more during a hypothetical anime, I think Alter could be a welcome change to the usual Saber.
I think you raise a good point I hadn't considered. Saber Alter could be seen as a natural progression from the utter despair she experiences at the end of F/Z. Still, you've got the problem of her having a noble beginning. I think liked the rapport between Saber and Shirou early on in HF the most out of the three routes; I wonder if this is the intention because of the :smith: later or my personal taste ("Fuji-nee, Saber doesn't speak Japanese.." :3:) I'm wary about straying too far from source material considering how that's turned out so far. If you try to set up her abrupt 'death' and fall in advance to expand upon her evil state as an extension of her crisis in F/Z, you'd have to walk a fine line. Even if you just waited until after she becomes Saber Alter to flesh things out, you'd still have to be careful. You also have to consider the ending, when Shirou is faced with having to kill Saber. If you fudge their early relationship and/or push her too far toward evil in her fallen state, you risk ruining arguably one of the most important scenes in the entire story. What made it so sad was that the bond between Shirou and Saber, although not as strong as in the Fate arc, was still there even at the end. Which is what made it such an important and painful decision for Shirou to have to make. Making that decision even the slightest bit easier by making her less sympathetic would suck.

And then of course you have the ending (The one true proper ending, because it has a SONG, other ending disqualified, deal with it.) :smug: Despite the darker tone of Heaven's Feel, it [the ending] is not really consistent with the Grim Darkness of F/Z, so making things even more Grim Dark would just be setting itself up for people to complain about the Everything Went Better Than Expected ending. It would be even more out of place if you gave Saber Alter extra evil deeds to do in her spare time. Next thing you know it's trying to compensate by making changes to other stuff and you end up with "Shirou decides he can't do it, but instead of Dead End Rider does it instead" and everyone would hate it. :v:

Sylphid posted:

I do agree entirely on Gilgamesh though. It's a good way to show how strong Sakura is getting as the Shadow, but as far as bringing thematic justice to the winner of the Fourth War, to be so ignominiously killed off, doesn't sit well with me, especially as a sequel series. I'm torn on whether that's one thing ufotable should change, or keep the same. I don't know how they'd keep him alive for a while longer and keep the same general plot, but I'm sure it'll be fine either way.
I say just leave it, if only because I can't think of any better way to handle it and I default against making changes. I think it's just a bitter pill everyone will have to swallow, which sucks as especially for those who haven't read the VN, it might mar what could otherwise be an anime as good or better than F/Z. How much I couldn't say.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
Whatever they do, I'm pretty sure it'll air Jan 2014 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the original Fate/Stay Night release.

This also means it's highly likely this is actually an actual Fate/stay night production, and not based on any of its spinoffs.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

The announcement does say Fate/Stay Night, so despite all joking it's almost certainly a Fate remake or HF.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Regardless of what ufotable goes with, I feel enormously confident in their ability to skillfully adapt whatever they're going to do. Nasu's odd style of writing, while well-suited to a visual novel filled with meandering exposition and long internal monologues, is tough to do justice to in animation, but Kara no Kyoukai came out excellently, and even Nasu admits Kara is not his finest work.

zero might have came out as well as it did because it was written by a different author whose story whose style and flow was more suited to an anime than Nasu's writing ever was, but it's important to keep in mind a lot of zero was Nasu's idea in the first place, by Urobuchi's admission. I think the January 2014 is a good guess, since they've also got the 8th Kara movie to work on in the meanwhile.

Plus, I'd just really like to see more Saber Alter in general. Saber Lily, too, but she's mostly on cameo duty. Too bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sylphid posted:

they've also got the 8th Kara movie to work on in the meanwhile.
They were also supposedly doing Girl's Work, but everyone, including Meteor himself, seems to be silent about that.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm STOKED. Heaven's Feel has some of the most glorious action sequences in the entire VN, and leaving them in the hands of UFO Table instead of DEEN is nothing less than a gift from on high.

I have to admit though, I'm disappointed that there's no chance we'll see Sparks Liner High. Especially given the last few posts of HF Saber chat and its thematic importance to her. After all, Taiga says outright in the Dojo that it's Saber's "Good End," for the route, and it does give her and Shirou's relationship some much needed closure given how abrupt her loss was.

But if we're willing to give up all the luck we'll ever have for the rest of our lives, maybe we'll get it as an extra scene/OVA/Mini-Episode a la the Iri Consultation Room when it comes out on DVD.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HF confirmed.

EDIT: Wait poo poo, the page linked says nothing but F/SN reanimated. I think it's just a new version of Fate.

EDIT 2: And then I scrolled down and noticed the second tweet says it's HF. I'm not particularly sure who Taki_s1217 is, but if he's anyone important I guess that's confirmed? :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 13, 2013

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I want to know if it's going to be an OVA or if they're going to stretch HF into a season or two.

On the subject of Saber and Gilgamesh in Heaven's Feel: I could see them giving Saber Alter and Gilgamesh a bigger role in the story. It has been a while since I've read HF, but I don't see why they couldn't have Gilgamesh not be anticlimactically absorbed by Sakura. I could see him sticking around for a bit longer and then being killed by Saber Alter, have them finish the fight they started in Zero. This way he isn't abruptly removed from the story, so he at least gets some sort of closure.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 13, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I was about to ironically call hollow ataraxia for this new thing. But goddamn, it's been almost ten years since I watched this first cool kids' cartoon? This adaptation had better be good if only to calm my regret over how little I'd done with my life in the past ten years. :gonk:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I'd be alright with Gilgamesh getting eaten by the shadow in the end as that's what permanently made Sakura lose control, but giving more screen time and a few fights beforehand would be a good call. They also need to work something in to show off Caster's Rule Breaker so that it actually makes sense when Shirou takes it out during the finale.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
It does get used briefly in HF when Shirou and Saber confront Caster, he sees it and knows instinctively what it does somehow.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Blhue posted:

It does get used briefly in HF when Shirou and Saber confront Caster, he sees it and knows instinctively what it does somehow.

I think the dialogue at some point said that projection involves understanding the "intention" behind whatever it is being projected, so I suppose that's as reasonable an explanation as any.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly, I'd much rather prefer an anime adaptation of UBW, because that was my favorite route of the game. However, I do understand that both Fate and UBW have already gotten quite a bit of showing, even if the movie didn't do a great job, and Heaven's Feel does connect with Zero a bit more than the others. HF really drags until like the last day where everything awesome happens, so I'm really skeptical on how ufotable's going to make it interesting and not just "THERE IS NO HOPE" for 20 episodes and then the last 6 loving rule, but I do trust them because Zero was so good. So really, it's cool with whatever they want to do.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 15, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn't mind if they did all three routes. They did a fantastic job with Zero, and if they did all 3 routes then we can pretend that Deen was never associated with the Fate/ series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They would either have to adapt all three in turn (unlikely) or find a blend that would please the fans (impossible).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Definitely not the latter. That would end up terribly. I'm hoping for 3 individual seasons, one for each route, but at the very least a redo of UBW. Most likely it will cover only HF, that's what I'm predicting.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
3 individual seasons would be a dream come true, but it's really unlikely due to budget issues. I know I'd love to see Fate get a good do-over and see UBW get an actual adaption (gently caress the terrible DEEN movie). If we can only get one though I know I want Heaven's Feel and it's probably what we're going to get.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Sylphid posted:

I'm fine with Gil getting bumped off like that. After all he gets himself killed because he underestimates his opponents in the other two routes so it makes perfect sense for it to happen in HF as well. Plus, due to his power he's an obstacle to the development of the HF storyline which is why he should be disposed of ASAP, especially if it were animated due to the time constraints of the medium.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Factor_VIII posted:

I'm fine with Gil getting bumped off like that. After all he gets himself killed because he underestimates his opponents in the other two routes so it makes perfect sense for it to happen in HF as well. Plus, due to his power he's an obstacle to the development of the HF storyline which is why he should be disposed of ASAP, especially if it were animated due to the time constraints of the medium.

He did not die due to underestimating his opponent. He died because his opponent could regenerate from anything and he had no idea they could do that. That's like saying had Archer been killed the exact same way, that's underestimating his opponent. You could definitely say the same for the previous two routes, but Gil had no way of knowing that Sakura was an unkillable servant eating monster. Especially since he's not fought anything like that even in the prior routes. The story of HF in general is filled with so little actual fighting among servants and characters until the end too that his presence does not create much of a problem in terms of power, especially since in the other routes he'd still show up and people would live despite him being so strong.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

He did not die due to underestimating his opponent. He died because his opponent could regenerate from anything and he had no idea they could do that. That's like saying had Archer been killed the exact same way, that's underestimating his opponent. You could definitely say the same for the previous two routes, but Gil had no way of knowing that Sakura was an unkillable servant eating monster. Especially since he's not fought anything like that even in the prior routes. The story of HF in general is filled with so little actual fighting among servants and characters until the end too that his presence does not create much of a problem in terms of power, especially since in the other routes he'd still show up and people would live despite him being so strong.
He lost because underestimated Sakura's regenerative ability. He knew she had some since he was surpised by the speed of her recovery, not the fact she regenerated. One blast with Ea would have erased Sakura from existence but of course as always he was too arrogant to fight her seriously. Same thing happens all the time in FSN. Since you brought it up, Archer almost died to Rider in HF in the same way (and would have done so if Sakura hadn't stopped the fight). He was overconfident because he thought she only had her fighting skills and couldn't use Bellerophon and fell victim to her Mystic Eyes. Saber vs Caster or Souichirou is the same.

And Gil had a specific agenda. His goal wasn't simply to win the war; it was to use the Grail to exterminate mankind because he thought it was unworthy of serving him. If he had been around he'd manipulate things to fulfill his agenda and nobody would be able to stop him. His decision to kill Sakura fell into that since he wanted to destroy the false grail and only leave the one he planned to use. If Gil was running around you'd expect things to turn out like Fate or UBW since he was deliberately steering things in that direction.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Factor_VIII posted:

And Gil had a specific agenda. His goal wasn't simply to win the war; it was to use the Grail to exterminate mankind because he thought it was unworthy of serving him. If he had been around he'd manipulate things to fulfill his agenda and nobody would be able to stop him. His decision to kill Sakura fell into that since he wanted to destroy the false grail and only leave the one he planned to use. If Gil was running around you'd expect things to turn out like Fate or UBW since he was deliberately steering things in that direction.

Then you change up his character a bit. If there's anything that three routes prove it's that motivations and circumstances can change from one small little thing. Gilgamesh is an rear end in a top hat, but it would not take a lot for him to go "Hey, I don't like what's going on right now and neither do these guys. So if I team up with these dudes, maybe the thing I don't like will go away faster and I can get back on track with what I've been meaning to do." It's not really fair to either the character or his fans that you'd just kill him off because that was how he was killed in the VN. There's a difference between what was appropriate for the visual novel and what's appropriate for the anime, the anime doesn't need to be a shot-for-shot remake of the VN. It can afford to take liberties with some stuff that happened in HF, especially if HF is the only thing getting adapted by ufo, especially since it also wouldn't make any sense in the context of the story or character resolutions for Gil to just die there if it's coming off of Zero.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 17, 2013

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I was about to ironically call hollow ataraxia for this new thing. But goddamn, it's been almost ten years since I watched this first cool kids' cartoon? This adaptation had better be good if only to calm my regret over how little I'd done with my life in the past ten years. :gonk:

The (bad) anime is from 2006, so you've only wasted 7 years of your life. This tenth anniversary is of course for the visual novel.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ah, that's right. I must have been thinking of the Tsukihime anime, that's what I'm so traumatized.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Honestly, I'd much rather prefer an anime adaptation of UBW, because that was my favorite route of the game. However, I do understand that both Fate and UBW have already gotten quite a bit of showing, even if the movie didn't do a great job, and Heaven's Feel does connect with Zero a bit more than the others. HF really drags until like the last day where everything awesome happens, so I'm really skeptical on how ufotable's going to make it interesting and not just "THERE IS NO HOPE" for 20 episodes and then the last 6 loving rule, but I do trust them because Zero was so good. So really, it's cool with whatever they want to do.

I don't care cause Rider gets to be completely awesome instead of being Shinji's realdoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Then you change up his character a bit. If there's anything that three routes prove it's that motivations and circumstances can change from one small little thing. Gilgamesh is an rear end in a top hat, but it would not take a lot for him to go "Hey, I don't like what's going on right now and neither do these guys. So if I team up with these dudes, maybe the thing I don't like will go away faster and I can get back on track with what I've been meaning to do." It's not really fair to either the character or his fans that you'd just kill him off because that was how he was killed in the VN. There's a difference between what was appropriate for the visual novel and what's appropriate for the anime, the anime doesn't need to be a shot-for-shot remake of the VN. It can afford to take liberties with some stuff that happened in HF, especially if HF is the only thing getting adapted by ufo, especially since it also wouldn't make any sense in the context of the story or character resolutions for Gil to just die there if it's coming off of Zero.

Why would Gilgamesh "team up" with Shirou and co.? He can deal with the shadow himself if he wants. Which is exactly what he did, and paid the price for underestimating the opponent.

He really is in a position where him not dying to the shadow severely changes the power dynamics of the story, and you can't get around that without arbitrarily portraying him as significantly weaker, sinister, and/or stupid.

• Locked thread