Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

quote:

Is the Gangnam area pretty safe? I'll be staying either there or at a hotel that the surgery center recommended in Myeong-dong. I'm a trans woman who will be travelling alone and will still have male identification (although the picture doesn't really match anymore). Will the ID thing be an issue?
Koreans are prejudistic so don't show your ID unless absolutely necessary. Only show your ID when a police officer asks for it. Since you'll be having surgery I assume you won't be going around much anyway.

Both areas are safe as long as you don't get lost in the back alley somewhere in the middle of the night.

quote:

How difficult will it be to get around when a)I won't be able to speak due to my surgery and b) don't know any Korean?
a) b) asking for help from goons in Korea to get around might help. Download and run KakaoTalk (free Korean instant messenger. On mobile and Windows PC) then ask for invite by posting your id here. Think there's English version too.

quote:

Since I'm going to be alone and probably pretty scared it's likely that I'm not going to venture far from my hotel. Should grocery stores/food/other basics be found within walking distance of wherever I stay?
Convenience stores and coffee shops are everywhere in Korea. Supermarkets are mostly located where people reside though. If you're staying in Myungdong then there's a department store (Shinsegye) you can go to. Don't think you can cook at hotels though.

quote:

A side question about the food - are healthy, low-calorie, non-spicy (can't eat spicy food after surgery) meals easy to come across? I'm on a diet and would like to stick to it as much as possible.
Just don't eat in the cheap eateries or Korean/Chinese cuisine restaurants. Most are spicy or packed full of calorie and sodium.

Any questions or helps, don't hesitate to use KakaoTalk for super fast response.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Regarding phone, here're the general rules to use phones in Korea.

1. Check if your phone/company supports roaming in Korea. It mostly depends on the frequency supported on your phone but it's pretty universal anywhere. As for Korean providers, SKT and olleh (KT) use 1.8 GHz while LGT uses 2.1 GHz because HellG thinks it's god drat special.

2. Seoul is the city of free wifi. Abuse the hell out of it. Also, if you see AP named iptime that's not secured, use it :v: (iptime is a router company in Korea and most people don't set password.) If your phone's IMEI is registered to Korean provider, enjoy free wifi even on a moving subway! (LGT doesn't provide this because HellG.)

3. If you have time, do a factory unlock (IMEI unlock) before coming to Korea. It takes from couple of days to couple of weeks depending on how lovely your phone provider is, so ask or do it in advance to make sure. When you do IMEI unlock, you can register your phone's IMEI with Korean provider which in turn will let you use your phone (and free wifi). Need to make sure they register your IMEI for wifi access though.

4. Buy the SIM card, not borrow. Borrowing is expensive. Buy pre-paid SIM if your phone is unlocked, or just borrow phone from the airport (expensive).

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Aesis posted:

Koreans are prejudistic so don't show your ID unless absolutely necessary. Only show your ID when a police officer asks for it. Since you'll be having surgery I assume you won't be going around much anyway.

Both areas are safe as long as you don't get lost in the back alley somewhere in the middle of the night.

a) b) asking for help from goons in Korea to get around might help. Download and run KakaoTalk (free Korean instant messenger. On mobile and Windows PC) then ask for invite by posting your id here. Think there's English version too.

Convenience stores and coffee shops are everywhere in Korea. Supermarkets are mostly located where people reside though. If you're staying in Myungdong then there's a department store (Shinsegye) you can go to. Don't think you can cook at hotels though.

Just don't eat in the cheap eateries or Korean/Chinese cuisine restaurants. Most are spicy or packed full of calorie and sodium.

Any questions or helps, don't hesitate to use KakaoTalk for super fast response.

I'm leaning towards a suite at a hotel in Gangnam that has a kitchen and washer/dryer which is why I asked about the grocery stores.

I'll download that app you recommended, thanks for your help!

Aesis posted:

Phone stuff

I have Verizon which in the U.S. is CDMA so I won't be able to unlock it and use a local sim or anything. Verizon has great roaming capabilities but it is ridiculously expensive so I would rather rent/buy a cheap phone and use a local provider. When you say renting a phone from the airport is expensive how much are you talking about?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 12, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'm leaning towards a suite at a hotel in Gangnam that has a kitchen and washer/dryer which is why I asked about the grocery stores.

I have Verizon which in the U.S. is CDMA so I won't be able to unlock it and use a local sim or anything. Verizon has great roaming capabilities but it is ridiculously expensive so I would rather rent/buy a cheap phone and use a local provider. When you say renting a phone from the airport is expensive how much are you talking about?

A cheap alternative option is just to forgo internet broswing and pick up a cheapo prepaid phone. Your hotel will have free wifi for your laptop or whatevs you bring. For on the road, you'll have a number to communicate with. If you're willing to put your full faith and trust in the internet, most goons can handle you for a couple days of caring for.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If you're going to be basically mute for a while, be absolutely sure to get Kakao. I think there is still a Korean language practice goon chat up and I imagine if any issues come up they could communicate on your behalf. Consider renting one of these: http://roaming.kt.com/renewal/eng/wibro/rental.asp , and just roll around town with 4g up.
Otherwise I'd learn numbers and how to sound out the language on the plane (shouldn't take you more than like two hours, tops) and things will go a lot more smoothly, I think.

Also you should hit a Juk restaurant (Korean congee) because it's the most throat soothing meal there is :swoon:

Fashion wise maybe check here? http://english.gmarket.co.kr/bestseller/BestSeller.asp?group_cd=1
It's not the height of Korean fashion or anything but it'll probably give you a good idea. T shirt and short shorts all day it seems.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I have't really seen a grocery shop or supermarkets in Gangnam, but I guess you could google or take a short bus/subway ride to nearest department stores if there aren't any.

I think Korea uses CDMA as well. As for renting at airport, each phone company has a booth or two to deal with renting phones to foreigners, but the rent is about $2.5 per day. Buying a pre-paid SIM costs about $10 though.

Oh and 'egg' rental is $4 per day afaik (could be less) but probably more useful than renting a phone.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 12, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Onion Knight posted:

If you're going to be basically mute for a while, be absolutely sure to get Kakao. I think there is still a Korean language practice goon chat up and I imagine if any issues come up they could communicate on your behalf. Consider renting one of these: http://roaming.kt.com/renewal/eng/wibro/rental.asp , and just roll around town with 4g up.
Otherwise I'd learn numbers and how to sound out the language on the plane (shouldn't take you more than like two hours, tops) and things will go a lot more smoothly, I think.

Also you should hit a Juk restaurant (Korean congee) because it's the most throat soothing meal there is :swoon:

Fashion wise maybe check here? http://english.gmarket.co.kr/bestseller/BestSeller.asp?group_cd=1
It's not the height of Korean fashion or anything but it'll probably give you a good idea. T shirt and short shorts all day it seems.

Oh wow that looks great, and pretty cheap too! If I'm reading that right then the 8,000 won daily rental price includes 4g data?

And great I guess I'll be able to fit in, I'm glad shorts are acceptable there.

AmbientParadox posted:

A cheap alternative option is just to forgo internet broswing and pick up a cheapo prepaid phone. Your hotel will have free wifi for your laptop or whatevs you bring. For on the road, you'll have a number to communicate with. If you're willing to put your full faith and trust in the internet, most goons can handle you for a couple days of caring for.

Yeah the only reason I want a phone is just so I can make a call in an emergency. I'm not too concerned about having data outside of the hotel room but since it seems I can rent a 4g hotspot pretty cheaply I can go that route.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yep. The deposit is kind of a bear, but, it's just a deposit I guess.

But yeah, I think in Korea - and Seoul especially - the last thing anyone would be called out on is clothing choice. Gangnam is a pretty upscale area too, so its pretty safe. I mean you gotta be careful anywhere and especially so as a foreigner, but despite the surgery you should be able to have a pretty good time here! I'll second hanging out with Kant, too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
You don't have to be in Korea to use KakaoTalk either. The reason we keep stressing it is that we respond to that almost immediately. There are a few of us who speak Korean (not me) and a few who are Korean. The data might be nice just to have the group as a person to ask questions of. Not sure how much of a company person you are, but 2 weeks of not speaking in a foreign country alone could be rough, there's always someone talking on kakao.

You'll be arriving during my vacation, if I take it, but I can take you to a grocery store when I get back, or I'm sure someone else will offer too. We can help you set yourself up with food for the week while you heal.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

DontAskKant posted:

You don't have to be in Korea to use KakaoTalk either. The reason we keep stressing it is that we respond to that almost immediately. There are a few of us who speak Korean (not me) and a few who are Korean. The data might be nice just to have the group as a person to ask questions of. Not sure how much of a company person you are, but 2 weeks of not speaking in a foreign country alone could be rough, there's always someone talking on kakao.

You'll be arriving during my vacation, if I take it, but I can take you to a grocery store when I get back, or I'm sure someone else will offer too. We can help you set yourself up with food for the week while you heal.

Thank you all so much, you guys are ridiculously helpful and I really appreciate the generous offers of help while I'm here.

I downloaded the KakaoTalk app and my ID is abbyt89 for an invite.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where's the goons practicing Korean Kakao? Or is it just the same as normal chat?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jjuk is the poor man's porridge, if that's even possible. The pumpkin ones are decent but I don't recommend any of the others.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C76T9_fThH0

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

Where's the goons practicing Korean Kakao? Or is it just the same as normal chat?

Nobody has used it in months. I would love to get it moving again. What's your id? I'll invite you.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

erobadapazzi posted:

Nobody has used it in months. I would love to get it moving again. What's your id? I'll invite you.

Latisi

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wow this is kinda racist.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
The best part is where the order of the "pilot names" is a description of the sequence of events. :golfclap: The whole thing would have been ruined if "Bang Ting Ow" had been promoted first.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Got your poor man's porridge here and it's delicious and amazing.

Eat some juk, you won't regret it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was a 4000 x 3000 pixel of your jjuk necessary? Just trying to put it in my face? Aw hell naw.

Seems more like just a troll on the ignorance of the reporter.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
Butt Soup, I'm another Korea goon that is willing to help you out. Send me a PM if you have 'em. I live about an hour outside of Seoul but have no work obligations, just dogs.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Cameron posted:

Was a 4000 x 3000 pixel of your jjuk necessary? Just trying to put it in my face? Aw hell naw.

It was a thumbnail and you're the one who insulted the food of the working man.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Juk is good for health

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Lies. Everyone knows a real man eats meat topped with meat.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Man, have you seen that dude's post history? He talks about dinosaurs ALL the time.

I loving love dinosaurs, what can I say?

How does that anchor even get dressed in the morning? Seriously, they "confirmed" those were the names? Really? I guess "confirmed" in the News means "assumed" to everyone else.

Actually, yeah, I guess that does explain a lot.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 13, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
If you're looking for something to do in Seoul, here's some art stuff!

Alphonse Mucha Exhibit.

The other exhibit is the Studio Ghibli Layout Exhibit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is some serious top level trolling.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a strange request that may not be necessary but why not ask?

I may need someone to stay in my apartment at some point from August 5th to 16th. I live in a really nice part of Bundang within a 7 minute walk from the station (Seohyeon). You can take the bus to Yatap and from there it's only two stops away. It's about a 20 minute bus ride from south Seoul. Kant and Lummox can verify that my apartment is swanky. Rent will be giving my betta fish three pellets in the morning and three at night.

This is not a guarantee, there is a very strong chance the apt will be unavailable. Also, nothing personal, but if I haven't met you I'm probably going to be reluctant to give you my door code. Don't bank on it, but if you don't have any plans for your vacation or are already planning on Seoul what do you have to lose?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I can't do it, but I gotta ask, why do you need someone there?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Cameron posted:

I can't do it, but I gotta ask, why do you need someone there?

He doesn't want his betta fish (whatever that is) to die.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
But do they have to stay in the apartment? That seems excessive, I guess. Is there some other motive?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I can do 10th-16th if you cant find anyone.

This is like a feed your fish and bang your gf type deal?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or feed his girlfriend and bang his fish?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cameron posted:

But do they have to stay in the apartment? That seems excessive, I guess. Is there some other motive?

I'm assuming no one's going to want to make an hour commute every day to feed my fish.

I figure there's going to be someone who wants to go to Seoul for vacation. I'd rather trade favors than ask for one.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 14, 2013

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
They're fish. Can't they go stay at somebody else's place?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

erobadapazzi posted:

They're fish. Can't they go stay at somebody else's place?

You want to move an 80 pound tank with delicate animals inside? It'd be better to leave it alone and hope the betta doesn't eat my shrimp.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bettas are pretty hearty fish though... you could just overfeed them a bit the week before and they'd probably be alright. I used to have a betta in university and it could definitely go a week between feedings. It lived for almost 4 years.

Also, and 80 pound tank? That's huge! What will you do with that when you leave Korea?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Toussaint Louverture posted:

You want to move an 80 pound tank with delicate animals inside? It'd be better to leave it alone and hope the betta doesn't eat my shrimp.

I'll toss it in the back of a cab I'm sure it'll be fine.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey you guys remember talking about used clothes store and stuff in Korea?

THERE ARE TOTALLY USED CLOTHES STORES IN KOREA!!!

Right by my apartment too. Got those shirts for ₩9,000 total.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does wearing an ironically bad shirt even work in Korea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Who said anything about ironically bad?

• Locked thread