Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OK Octopus posted:

Twelve milkmen IS theoretically possible. Thirteen is silly.

Styrofoam cup.

Bad for the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

If I had to rate the Netflix original series at the moment, I would put them in the order of House of Cards > Orange is the New Black > Hemlock Grove.
Everyone forgets about Lillyhammer, which I thought was pretty great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

martinlutherbling posted:

You're in the minority.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Netflix has been pretty open about the fact that their shows are created based on extensive datamining and laser-precise target audiences, so its not surprising that there isn't a lot of crossover appeal between them.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Lilyhammer, or "Little Steven mugs at Norwegians for 45 minutes".

I have to say though, I was kinda in awe at how much exposition they crammed into the first 10-15 minutes of the first epsiode then BAM it's off to Norway! The show did not waste any time getting underway.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

martinlutherbling posted:

I forgot about it, but I loved it and watched the entire season when it came out in a few days.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm at the last episode of S1 Lilyhammer (after slowly watching it since last year) and I like it for some silly reason, but I guess mostly for the location and some of the funny wiseguy in Norway poo poo as it is quite corny.

Watching "Casa De Mi Padre" right now and at the hallucination scene with the white tiger and I think this is supposed to be some sort of demented Tarantino parody with extra bonus shots of Will Ferrel's butt. ::yosbutt:: Nice Red Dragon (Trans Am) reference too.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished a long series and need some advice for another. Past few I have watched have been heavy on sci fi, but I enjoy any good drama or well written comedy.

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
All the big British comedy's
Sherlock
Portlandia

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Khorne Flakes posted:

Finished a long series and need some advice for another. Past few I have watched have been heavy on sci fi, but I enjoy any good drama or well written comedy.

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia

If you haven't seen it, Twin Peaks.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne Flakes posted:

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia

If you like Supernatural you might go for Fringe. It has roughly the same progression where it starts off as a monster-of-the-week show and from season two onwards finds its feet and manages to weave a serialized plot and standalone stuff pretty well.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia

Obvious stuff:

Fringe
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Lost (some rough spots, but it really is a fun ride)

Obvious stuff, comedy:

Parks and Rec
How I Met Your Mother

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia
Terriers.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Unfortunately I have an addiction to Netflix. Seen Terriers, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, HIMYM, and Twin Peaks. Tried Lost and MM, but never got into them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's anime but check out a show called Mushi-shi, its about a guy who is basically a paranormal exterminator. It's non-serial but there are a few plots that weave their way in and out of various episodes but every story is excellent.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Unfortunately I have an addiction to Netflix. Seen Terriers, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, HIMYM, and Twin Peaks. Tried Lost and MM, but never got into them.

New Girl, The Inbetweeners and The League are some great Netflix-based sitcoms, and I've been getting through Orange is the New Black just fine (I think it's worth a shot to see what you think at least).

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

From Dusk Til Dawn feels like Tarantino teaching Rodriguez to direct, then halfway through Rodriguez stops him and takes over. The baton pass scene is Salma Hayek's introduction, when Rodriguez basically gives Tarantino a handjob then kicks him in the nuts, throws his chair against the wall and sets the house on fire.

This is the most perfect summation I've seen. My understanding is that Tarantino wrote the first half and Rodriguez wrote the 2nd, which explains a lot. While the movie still ends up being awesome as an experiment in taking a HARD left turn with your story, the 1st half is so great, its a bummer that it turns into a dumb genre movie. I so want to see the 2nd half of the movie it starts out as.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is there a general 'streaming movie/tv service' thread going on, or is this the closest to it?

I've had and dumped Netflix, Amazon Instant and Hulu after having and cancelling them over the last few years at different times. However, I'm sort of tempted to try Redbox Instant, but I can't seem to find any chatter on it other than mostly reviews and opinions from months ago.

I figure that it's maybe worth the $8 a month considering the 4 $1 kiosk rentals, but I'm sort of wondering if that will make up for deficiencies in the streaming side of it. Anyone have any thoughts and experience with the content, playback issues, etc.?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I've been curious in it myself. I love Netflix, I'm thinking about Amazon but I hate hulu. The biggest thing holding me back from Redbox is device support- I don't think they support Roku yet and I don't know if they're even planning on supporting PS3. I do have a LG smart tv but I never use the smart features. The fact that you can upgrade it to 4 blu rays for $9/month is a killer deal- you get what looks like a pretty close to netflix selection of recent run movies for $3/month.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Khorne Flakes posted:

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

I watched Bernie the other night. It is a really solid and different movie. The whole thing is presented more or less like one of those true crime shows on cable with Jack Black as the title character. It's always nice when he decides to remind everybody that he can in fact act. Matthew McConaughey shows up as, of course, a sleazy lawyer.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 13, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's anime but check out a show called Mushi-shi, its about a guy who is basically a paranormal exterminator. It's non-serial but there are a few plots that weave their way in and out of various episodes but every story is excellent.

I'll second the Mushi-shi recommendation. No magical girls, no giant robots, no sugary pop music--Just a one-eyed medicine salesman wandering feudal Japan, investigating and exorcising spirits. Kind of like Kung Fu meets the X-Files, I guess. Really cool stuff.

Don't be scared off just because it's a cartoon from Japan. You can hate anime and still love Mushi-shi.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

The biggest thing holding me back [...] is device support

Roku gets the worst out of provider deals, both Direct TV and Comcast refuse to support HBO GO on the box. Comcast at least provides for their goofy Xfinity Ipad app though.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Yeah, my roku 3 is pretty much my netflix box but there are a couple of music and cooking channels I really like too. The headphones from the remote thing is pretty awesome too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia

A lot of people either haven't seen/forget about it, but Luther is a fantastic British show that has its first two seasons on Netflix (and the third season is currently airing on BBC).

Everyone watch Luther.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

As far as I know, Redbox basically just has the same deal that Amazon and Netflix does with Epix, that's it. Maybe they've added more stuff since the last time I checked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

I'll second the Mushi-shi recommendation. No magical girls, no giant robots, no sugary pop music--Just a one-eyed medicine salesman wandering feudal Japan, investigating and exorcising spirits. Kind of like Kung Fu meets the X-Files, I guess. Really cool stuff.

Don't be scared off just because it's a cartoon from Japan. You can hate anime and still love Mushi-shi.

If we're going to open the can of worms that is recommending anime, I thoroughly enjoyed Samurai Champloo. Like, almost as much as Cowboy Bebop. It's got a similar "hip, stylized" feel to it. It's pretty much an anime Tarantino, I guess.

I watched a great documentary last night, CleanFlicks. It's about that company that used to sell "clean" versions of DVDs. It manages to be way more interesting than it sounds, and there's a lot more to the story than I had realized. Check it out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sarchasm posted:

I was on the fence about this show but based on the recommendations I'll give it a shot. Still trying to find an anime series on there that I consider genuinely good. So far it's ranged from "pretty good" (Night Raid: 1931) to "loving embarrassing" (Rin: Daughters of Mnenonmysyses).

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Jonny Retro posted:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Seconding this suggestion. Also, Longmire is drat good for what it is.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

bullet3 posted:

This is the most perfect summation I've seen. My understanding is that Tarantino wrote the first half and Rodriguez wrote the 2nd, which explains a lot. While the movie still ends up being awesome as an experiment in taking a HARD left turn with your story, the 1st half is so great, its a bummer that it turns into a dumb genre movie. I so want to see the 2nd half of the movie it starts out as.

I'm curious to see what would happen if Tarantino wrote and directed an "extended cut" of Planet Terror, and Rodriguez did the same for Death Proof. Would we be left with two movies as awesome (but schizophrenic) as From Dusk Til Dawn?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mushi-shi, Samurai Champloo, and Cowboy Bebop are the holy trinity of "I hate anime, but...". I seriously loath anime and wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend them to anyone who's looking for a good series. I saw a few episodes of Black Lagoon and, I want to say, Speed Tracer???, and those seemed kind of interesting, but I don't know what their Netflix availability is.

I watched Trigun with my dad a million years ago. It was okay. No creepy pseudo-pedo poo poo or insane titty physics, but it leans on what my dad tells me is the "super deformed" schtick way too much. Maybe it was just the bonding experience, but it was a fun enough story.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Man I was all set to recommend Paranoia Agent but I can't even find a listing for the discs on Netflix anymore. It does seem to be streaming on various places online if you want to look around. This is a pretty bizarre and well made horror series created by Satoshi Kon, who did Perfect Blue. It's been years since I've seen it or any other anime, but I don't remember it having any creepy stuff. Well there is "creepy" horror stuff, but nothing creepy "I feel weird watching this" creepy that I remember.

What's going on with anime lately anyway? You don't seem to hear about any huge hits like Cowboy Bebop any more. Mushishi sounds good so I'll check that out, but it looks like that's also from years ago.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

gently caress, I was all set to watch this Mushi-Shi based on the recommendations, but it's not available to stream, apparently.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

What's going on with anime lately anyway? You don't seem to hear about any huge hits like Cowboy Bebop any more.

Basically the same reason the Japanese videogame industry has been stagnant for the past decade--Production costs keep rising while the market keeps shrinking, so companies only make "safe bet" shows about moe soccer witches.

I wind up watching a lot of anime just for Japanese practice (JLPT N1 this December wooooo) so maybe one day I'll sift through Netflix's selection and make a post of Anime for People who Hate Anime or something.

Der Shovel posted:

gently caress, I was all set to watch this Mushi-Shi based on the recommendations, but it's not available to stream, apparently.

It's available on Hulu, for whatever that's worth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mushi-shi is def on netflix, I'm looking at it right now on my roku.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Khorne Flakes posted:

Supernatural
Lie to Me
Nikita
Lost Girl
Sherlock
Portlandia

The West Wing? I assume you've already watched Doctor Who since you seem heavy on the Brit stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mushi-shi is def on netflix, I'm looking at it right now on my roku.

Yeah it's on the American Netflix. Assume that guy is in Canada.

Also I would totally watch an anime about moe soccer witches. :)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Sarchasm posted:

Basically the same reason the Japanese videogame industry has been stagnant for the past decade--Production costs keep rising while the market keeps shrinking, so companies only make "safe bet" shows about moe soccer witches.

I wind up watching a lot of anime just for Japanese practice (JLPT N1 this December wooooo) so maybe one day I'll sift through Netflix's selection and make a post of Anime for People who Hate Anime or something.
Ah, that makes sense. It seemed like everything just sort of fell off a cliff somewhere around 2006-2007. Every single anime movie or TV show that I can remember enjoying (outside of the occasional Studio Ghibli release) turns out was made before then.

The streaming selection seems abysmal from what time I've spent looking through it, although most of my knowledge is like 10 years old at this point, and I base it off looking for stuff I remember like Perfect Blue, Grave of the Fireflies, Memories, and all the Studio Ghibli movies, none of which seem to be up.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Samurai Champloo is netflix, that alone is enough to make their anime selection "pretty decent" at worst.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Big thanks to those who recommended To The Ends of the Earth. I really like Napoleonic era naval fiction. This series is very well done.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
It's not a "long" series, because it's only in its 2nd season right now, but you might enjoy Continuum. I've started watching the 1st season recently, and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I've been watching "Orange is the New Black" all day, which is a relatively new Netflix original series. It's a bit touchy-feely for my taste, but it's been a good show thus far. It's by Jenji Kohan, who was behind "Weeds." It has a similar dynamic in that it's centered around a wealthy, educated woman whose involvement in illegal activity breeds comically laced misadventure.

I can't tell if I'm enjoying it, or if I'm settling for it.

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 13, 2013

• Locked thread