Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just me, unpacking the car after a busy day shooting.

I want him to get arrested and go to jail sooooooo bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

I want him to get arrested and go to jail sooooooo bad.

NoneMoreNegative is a bad poster but jail is a bit much...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
When I first saw the video I was wondering why he drove a Prius .. then it all became clear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the hell is that from?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Martytoof posted:

What the hell is that from?

Lamar Odom (Khloe Kardashian's husband) was photographed by paparazzi. He then destroyed all the guys cameras, including breaking into his car and throwing his gear in the street. Being investigated for assault and destruction of property now.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

NoneMoreNegative is a bad poster but jail is a bit much...

Have you seen his flickr? Its felony bad. :haw:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
What is the ND filter kit the main guy uses from DigitalRevTV? I would love to have a set like that .. but have no clue what to get.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What is the ND filter kit the main guy uses from DigitalRevTV? I would love to have a set like that .. but have no clue what to get.

Cokin or Singh probably.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Lee or Cokin, maybe?

Edit: beaten.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a bunch of cheap knockoffs out there too if you dig around on Amazon.. if you want to try it out to see if the technique is something you want to invest in, as building a full set of quality filters could easily have you dropping a few hundred dollars.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Im not sure I need to spend anything like that .. what seems to be the most useful ND filter for water shots, etc?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Im not sure I need to spend anything like that .. what seems to be the most useful ND filter for water shots, etc?

The cheaper the filter the more tint it introduces in the photos (can be tricky to remove), as well as making shots less sharp.

The ultimate cheap ND filter is welders glass, but it introduces a wicked color tint. If you want to give it a try for as cheap as possible, go buy one and play around- then if you like it and find that you will use it a lot, buy something good. Wasting tons of time trying to fix photos after using poo poo filters is frustrating and will make you use them less often.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The big stopper maybe? It's a giant black square and is pretty popular with water photographers.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shmoogy posted:

The cheaper the filter the more tint it introduces in the photos (can be tricky to remove), as well as making shots less sharp.

The ultimate cheap ND filter is welders glass, but it introduces a wicked color tint. If you want to give it a try for as cheap as possible, go buy one and play around- then if you like it and find that you will use it a lot, buy something good. Wasting tons of time trying to fix photos after using poo poo filters is frustrating and will make you use them less often.

Oh i dont mind spending on a good filter .. just not sure if I need to spend that right now for what I am shooting. Ill try the welders glass trick for now :)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

xzzy posted:

There's a bunch of cheap knockoffs out there too if you dig around on Amazon.. if you want to try it out to see if the technique is something you want to invest in, as building a full set of quality filters could easily have you dropping a few hundred dollars.

the 20-30bux ND/Grads are meh. While the Pholder you get with them is acceptable in quality, the plastic filters are pretty bad. For color, shoot raw and twiddle with the WB a bit to help remove a slight green/purple cast you get. For b/w they are almost acceptable for use.

I would say they are ok for someone who is just tinkering a bit with them for b/w use or wants a cheap Pholder. For color they add a lot of work in post.

Welding glass is generally 14 stops, get a ND calculator for your smartphone. Ive used it with good results. It does cast green though, so be weary of that. Its not a huge issue if your doing b/w though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I know the cheap ones are meh. That's why they're cheap!

But it's one of those things that come with a lot of sticker shock if you want to get decent hardware. ND filters make landscapes a heck of a lot more fun and I think everyone should try it, so just buy something and see if you enjoy the technique so you can avoid one of those "eh I'll get them someday when I have some extra cash" situations that results in never ever actually doing it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I know the cheap ones are meh. That's why they're cheap!

But it's one of those things that come with a lot of sticker shock if you want to get decent hardware. ND filters make landscapes a heck of a lot more fun and I think everyone should try it, so just buy something and see if you enjoy the technique so you can avoid one of those "eh I'll get them someday when I have some extra cash" situations that results in never ever actually doing it.

Do you think the ones sold by B&W and the like are worthwhile, or go with the kit from the likes of conkin, etc?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Do you think the ones sold by B&W and the like are worthwhile, or go with the kit from the likes of conkin, etc?

Buy the best you're willing to spend money on.

The cheap ones are pretty much junk but they can be fun to play with as a beginner. But you will outgrow them.. you'll either decide using filters isn't your thing and stop trying, or open up your wallet and buy some quality filters.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Buy the best you're willing to spend money on.

The cheap ones are pretty much junk but they can be fun to play with as a beginner. But you will outgrow them.. you'll either decide using filters isn't your thing and stop trying, or open up your wallet and buy some quality filters.

Well, I guess what I mean is does it matter if its the conkin style kit, or a B&W screw on (like a CPL or UV style). Sorry, not typing much today as my right hand is gimped due to smashing a finger with a server. Woohoo.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Actually, the really cheap way to do it is to either shoot in low light (or use non-graduated ND filters to cut your light) to achieve a 15+ second exposure, then at the beginning of your exposure use a black piece of construction paper to cover the horizon on your photo for the first part of the exposure, spend a few seconds feathering the exposure (by slightly moving the construction paper up and down to eliminate sharp black lines), then remove the black paper entirely and finish the exposure without any obstructions.

It will have exactly the same effect as a graduated ND and it is infinitely adjustable, while at the same time being harder than just using a regular graduated ND.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just me, unpacking the car after a busy day shooting.

WTF is the context of this?

... durr I should probably have not just clicked the "last post" quick link.

Jesus christ yeah there should be some sort of legal action taken.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 12, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Verman posted:

WTF is the context of this?

From this very page.

torgeaux posted:

Lamar Odom (Khloe Kardashian's husband) was photographed by paparazzi. He then destroyed all the guys cameras, including breaking into his car and throwing his gear in the street. Being investigated for assault and destruction of property now.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have a Hoya ND-400x for one of my lenses (52mm threads) and it's something like an 8.66-stop ND filter. Doesn't cast much of a tint from what I can tell, but I shoot RAW and correct the white balance in post.

Edit: Meant to say that as soon as I can, I'll be getting it in 77mm so I can adapt it to all my lenses.

Example:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 12, 2013

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Give Lamar a break, guys. Maybe he is just super stoked cause he just recently switched to the X mount? :keke:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzOLbMPe0u8

Can we just make a "try to break camera poo poo" thread.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

fivre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzOLbMPe0u8

Can we just make a "try to break camera poo poo" thread.

:dance:

P3110007.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Since we are talking filters, what would be a cheap but decent Circular Polarizer? I lost my ten bucks one so I'm thinking about getting one that's at least decent...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Marumi (Super DHG CPL) is the best bang for the buck.

I can't find the old review that compared like 10 of them, but it's amazingly good for the price (if not better than even the ones twice it's price, but I don't recall the rankings exactly).

e: Found it:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shmoogy posted:

Marumi (Super DHG CPL) is the best bang for the buck.

I can't find the old review that compared like 10 of them, but it's amazingly good for the price (if not better than even the ones twice it's price, but I don't recall the rankings exactly).

e: Found it:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

I love mine. Just wish it was 77 instead of 67 mm ... doh

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Well, I guess what I mean is does it matter if its the conkin style kit, or a B&W screw on (like a CPL or UV style). Sorry, not typing much today as my right hand is gimped due to smashing a finger with a server. Woohoo.

Lee/Cokin have awesome graduated ND filters, whereas I haven't seen anyone recommend a screw-on graduated ND filter at all. And since the filter holder on Lee/Cokin is typically a bit wider than the lens itself, you can stack em without worrying as much about vignetting. I think that's about it.

e: vVv knowledge dropped. thanks for the info vVv

mclifford82 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 12, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

mclifford82 posted:

Lee/Cokin have awesome graduated ND filters, whereas I haven't seen anyone recommend a screw-on graduated ND filter at all. And since the filter holder on Lee/Cokin is typically a bit wider than the lens itself, you can stack em without worrying as much about vignetting. I think that's about it.

You can also make your own colour filters from theatre lighting gels (lee sell plastic frames for such use, or you can just make your own 100mm x 100mm frames.

Some people have also made their own glass filters for things like starburst.

The Lee/Cokin system is future proof(ish1) in that if you buy the 100mm set (or as Cokin call it 'Z-pro'2) then it will fit on pretty much any lens thread available.

1 There's a 150mm standard that has been gaining traction, due in part to the appearance of large (>100mm thread) ultra-wides. There are also 175mm and 200mm standards hanging around in the distance, so whether or not 150mm ends up becoming the standard above 100mm is yet to be seen.

2 There are currently 3 standards for square interchangable filters: Cokin A/68mm, Cokin P/85mm, and Cokin Z/100mm. While there are a few filters available in 85mm but not 100mm or 68mm, it's really best aiming for a 100mm setup if you can afford it, it should be possible in theory to up-mount a P filter in a Z sized frame, and have it work on lenses where a P setup would work. Also, cheap knock off 'P' systems are very cheap on ebay, and if your primary filter system is the expensive/'good' system then it's not too much of a hassle having a backup P system clone for the rarer filters.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

He didn't say "try to break poo poo cameras."

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Primo Itch posted:

Since we are talking filters, what would be a cheap but decent Circular Polarizer? I lost my ten bucks one so I'm thinking about getting one that's at least decent...

I've got a 67mm one for sale in the gear thread. Taking offers :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Going to some live buy/sell event KEH is holding at a camera store in Columbus today. Reports to follow.

Also Lamar Odom loving rules.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Has anyone ever bought a refurbished CF card off ebay before? (i.e. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SanDisk-64GB...82742f0a&_uhb=1)

Two of these new would kill my budget for an up-coming trip but losing shots to junk cards would also kill my trip.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've never done it and I never would. Don't do it. It's just not worth it. Select your shots better, selectively delete, buy a smaller card, borrow one from a friend, anything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I spent three weeks backpacking and used a total of 24GB of CF cards on a D800e. If you need 128GB of shooting on a DSLR you're doing something wrong

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I spent three weeks backpacking and used a total of 24GB of CF cards on a D800e. If you need 128GB of shooting on a DSLR you're doing something wrong
I'd wager that we probably shoot very different subjects, but still I share your concern about refurbished cards.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

I'd wager that we probably shoot very different subjects, but still I share your concern about refurbished cards.

You'd better come back with gigs of birds :colbert:

I can blow through 16 gigs in an hour shooting birds. Granted 90% of it gets chucked in post but I needed a lot on hand. If I was in a bird heavy area away from home I'd want as much space as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Fair enough.