Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Naramyth posted:

I'll have to check out Sabol stuff since I am also on bike all the time. But be careful with gun/camera/laptop cases. They look like they contain stuff that is easily flipped if stolen so stay with nondescript cases if you can.
Yeah, the same can also happen with tool boxes (which are another option, sturdier but a lot harder to transport.) I have used gun accessory cases for the couple of armies I transport that way, which are fairly bland-looking, but even regular warham cases are similar enough to various valuable-looking things that I know more than a few people who've had them stolen.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is there an easy way to magnetize the back door? Tempted to just glue it shut on most of them, but I do have a butt load of magnets I've had for ages. I remember someone recommending against a certain replacement razorback turret but can't recall the brand. Bitspudlo or Puppetswar are decent substitutes?
Magnetizing the back door of a Rhino is actually pretty easy if you have some small magnets and a similarly-sized drill. You can just sink a magnet into the top of the door, another one at a matching spot on the Rhino's frame, and you're good to go.

Puppetswar's turrets, while not particularly cheap, are definitely very nice. I had virtually no cleanup to do on them and they fit pretty perfectly onto the Rhino chassis; if you're looking for an alternative to the basic kit and don't mind spending a couple dollars, I'd definitely recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perfect World posted:

:pwn: Do you have any more info this? Is it available to buy?

Kingdom Death's stuff tends to go quick, but it isn't sold out yet because it doesn't have boobs... I would still jump on it quick if you want it. Avoid the pinup models/wet nurse if you don't like boobs; things like the grandmother and twilight knight are awesome (mostly sold out) models. Also, most of the site is very NSFW because of the before mentioned boobs.

Link to the model: http://shop.kingdomdeath.com/product/chosen

I also use a Studio Mcvey model for my Keeper of Secrets:

I use daemons like I use my orks: as an excuse to collect goofy models and convert them.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 13, 2013

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that model rules.

SRM posted:

Oh, I do too. I just find them to be very busy models. They're at least a lot more elegant than the Ravenwing Knights, which, while I still like them, are models with a completely unrecognizable silhouette. From some angles you can't even tell they're Marines on bikes because there's so much poo poo on them.

I hope it was tad-hug. It's been a while but man, that was a strange story. I very, very rarely talk to someone who knows me from my Dawn of Awesome cartoons and it's kinda nice.

Hm, I just built some Black Knights recently and I'm not sure if I entirely agree. The company champion is definitely way too busy and hilariously over-wrought; good thing Blades of Caliban are bad and you never have to take that guy. :v: The regular knights are more detailed than regular bikers, sure, but I think they turn out reasonably well. The extra stowage/bags they carry are cool and beyond the now-standard wing-shaped fairings I'm not sure what else stands out about them. I think the wings are kind of goofy myself and I've been limiting them to sergeants in my regular biker squads so they don't get over-played.

And I imagine it to have been tad-hig.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I am thinking mostly of the champion; you just see wings and a church and a sharp thing sticking out of there somewhere. The regular dudes are really detailed, but overall aren't too bad. I've got a box of them, so I obviously don't hate them :v:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I left off as much bling as possible and thinned the models out with regular Ravenwing parts from a Battleforce I picked up for dirt cheap. The champion is pretty useless, but I need another box now that you can run a 5-bike command squad. Attach Sammael and you have a credible deathstar that isn't too vulnerable to heldrakes, especially if you add a cheapo biker Libby to sling Prescience around with a power field generator. You can detach him before you charge, or more likely your opponent isn't Chaos Space Marines so you attach it to a regular Ravenwing squad since they don't want to be in CC anyway. Actually, you could attach Sammael to that unit as well because the command squad is powerful enough on its own. Regardless, the point is that you have options. Ravenwing can be a pretty good list in higher point games.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LordAba posted:

Avoid the pinup models/wet nurse if you don't like boobs;

Or rape!

:nms::nms:

What a lovely company.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

ghetto wormhole posted:

Or rape!

What a lovely company.

Somehow that seems more slannesh'y than the other one.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Even though they have some talented sculptors, the amount of :barf: stuff on there that dakka goes crazy for just baffles me.

Phyresis posted:

I left off as much bling as possible and thinned the models out with regular Ravenwing parts from a Battleforce I picked up for dirt cheap. The champion is pretty useless, but I need another box now that you can run a 5-bike command squad. Attach Sammael and you have a credible deathstar that isn't too vulnerable to heldrakes, especially if you add a cheapo biker Libby to sling Prescience around with a power field generator. You can detach him before you charge, or more likely your opponent isn't Chaos Space Marines so you attach it to a regular Ravenwing squad since they don't want to be in CC anyway. Actually, you could attach Sammael to that unit as well because the command squad is powerful enough on its own. Regardless, the point is that you have options. Ravenwing can be a pretty good list in higher point games.
How many Black Knights/Command Squad dudes do you usually run? I'm thinking of Sammael at some point in the future, since Ravenwing will be a fun avenue to explore with this army.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Just the one full command squad with a dakka banner and grenade launcher. Anything more is a luxury, and luxury is one of many potential first steps on the path towards heresy.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Speaking of Black Knights, I just got my Sammael figurine on Corvex, and this is my first time with Finecast, but either I'm doing something wrong or the model is just wrong. Has anyone put one of these together? The feet don't meet the footrest correctly if the waist piece is put together such that the torso fits in correctly, nor does the back of the side pieces fit together in that scenario - there are basically 3 points where the two legs each touch the main body/other leg of the model but only one of those 3 fits together at a time.

Is there some way to like bend the resin pieces? They seem to be super flimsy and I can kind of push them together but they spring back. I really can't express how frustrated I am with this, especially given the $ I paid for this guy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ghetto wormhole posted:

Or rape!

What a lovely company.

I dunno that is weird and all but it doesn't seem

*eyes follow the tail thing*

:stonk:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Direwolf posted:

Speaking of Black Knights, I just got my Sammael figurine on Corvex, and this is my first time with Finecast, but either I'm doing something wrong or the model is just wrong. Has anyone put one of these together? The feet don't meet the footrest correctly if the waist piece is put together such that the torso fits in correctly, nor does the back of the side pieces fit together in that scenario - there are basically 3 points where the two legs each touch the main body/other leg of the model but only one of those 3 fits together at a time.

Is there some way to like bend the resin pieces? They seem to be super flimsy and I can kind of push them together but they spring back. I really can't express how frustrated I am with this, especially given the $ I paid for this guy.

Finecast is utter poo poo and always needs fixing. Fortunately, it's a super soft resin so you can simply immerse it in hot (not even boiling) water for a few seconds, bend it into shape, then dunk it into cold water to set it. Unfortunately, certain casts (like the tau commander) have enough weight on relatively narrow areas that even being in an 80deg room is enough for them to bend out of shape.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Just finished the Eisenhorn omnibus. Aside from the abrupt ending I really, really liked it.

How do the Ravenor books stack up?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hixson posted:

Just finished the Eisenhorn omnibus. Aside from the abrupt ending I really, really liked it.

Most people actually like Ravenor better than Eisenhorn. I am the opposite. But Ravenor is quite good. Some of the best 40k fiction out there imho.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hixson posted:

Personally I like the characters in Eisenhorn better, but the overall story in Ravener is more cohesive. Though the major plothole in the story is how nobody in the inquisition notices that he is a tyranid creature. You would think the snake tale would give it away. Granted I'm only halfway through Ravenor right now, so I'm not sure how much it will change.

All I have to say is that Dan Abnett actually pisses me off sometimes. Gaunt's Ghosts, I'm looking at you. Though again how does a tyranid hormagaunt get to be commissar?!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 13, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Dan Abnett's earlier writing style, which is to say much of the Eisenhorn omnibus (though it starts to get better around the third book), grates the gently caress out of me as a writer and reader. I'm talking about the way he puts in his line and paragraph breaks, splitting off sentences randomly any which way, or so it seems. It's an annoying habit that he thankfully seems to have started to cure himself of around the time of Hereticus, and as a result Ravenor, Pariah, Brothers of the Snake and his Horus Heresy novels are approximately one billion times more readable, but it took me literally years of calendar time to finish reading the Eisenhorn omnibus because I'd get through a chunk of it and even though the plot and characters were interesting by Warhammer standards, his prose pissed me off so much that I'd put the book down for months and months. By comparison I plowed straight through Ravenor and Pariah.

I ought to try one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books that were written before or contemporary to Eisenhorn and see if those suffer from similar problems, but on the other hand I'm sort of afraid to.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

Dan Abnett's earlier writing style, which is to say much of the Eisenhorn omnibus (though it starts to get better around the third book), grates the gently caress out of me as a writer and reader. I'm talking about the way he puts in his line and paragraph breaks, splitting off sentences randomly any which way, or so it seems. It's an annoying habit that he thankfully seems to have started to cure himself of around the time of Hereticus, and as a result Ravenor, Pariah, Brothers of the Snake and his Horus Heresy novels are approximately one billion times more readable, but it took me literally years of calendar time to finish reading the Eisenhorn omnibus because I'd get through a chunk of it and even though the plot and characters were interesting by Warhammer standards, his prose pissed me off so much that I'd put the book down for months and months. By comparison I plowed straight through Ravenor and Pariah.

I ought to try one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books that were written before or contemporary to Eisenhorn and see if those suffer from similar problems, but on the other hand I'm sort of afraid to.

I don't know what it is about his earlier work that I really enjoy - but I like tha tit ISN'T polished. Ravenor is much more polished in writing style. I think I often compare it to early works of William Gibson (in the way it is written) not the actual content.

Something about it appeals to me.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Does anyone have the rules for the new gun emplacements for Apoc and regular games? Curious if they are any good in a normal game really.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just added myself to the map. Smogger you live like 2 miles from me, We've probably met already :argh:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Khorne Flakes posted:

Does anyone have the rules for the new gun emplacements for Apoc and regular games? Curious if they are any good in a normal game really.

Firestorm Redoubt
Classification: Medium bunker [STANDARD FORTIFICATION]
Cost: 200
AV: 14
Access Points: As modeled (3)
Fire Points: 1
Rules: Medium sized Bunker, and two quad lascanons. The quad lascanons are 2 shot linked Icarus lascanons. They are able to independently fire and are not target-able separate from the redoubt, however they are always fired automatically, (BS:2 CANNOT be manned) however they automatically fire at the closest flying monstrous creature or flier if one is available.

Vengeance Weapons Battery
Classification: Impassable Building [STANDARD FORTIFICATION]
Cost: 75points
AV: 14
Access Points: 0
Fire Points: 0
Weapon: Punisher Gatling Cannon (24" S5 Ap- Heavy 20)
Rules: Automated Fire without being occupied.
Options:
-Add another Battery for 75pts
-Upgrade Gatling Cannon to Battle Cannon for 10pts

Aquilla Strongpoint
Classification: Massive fortifications (Medium building w/battlements + Large building w/battlements) [APOCALYPSE UNIT]
Cost: 535pts
AV:15
Access Points: Per model
Fire Points: Per model
Rules: Macro Cannon, or Vortex Missile Battery
Macro cannon:
-Macro Shell: 72" S: D AP:1 Primary weapon 2, Large Blast
-Quake Shell: 180" S: 10/7/5 AP:1/4/6 Primary weapon 1, Apocalypse Mega-blast, Sonic-boom
Sonic boom: (simplified: draw a line from the cannon to the center of the template, any flyers, flying monstrous creatures, gargantuan flying gargantuans on the line roll a d6, crash and burn on a 1)
OR
Vortex Missile Battery:
-Vortex Missile: Infinite range, S: D AP:1 Ordinance 1, Large blast, Vortex

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

I've read all of the Gaunt's books and I just finished Malleus yesterday. I'm basically reading the Inquisitor stuff because I'm hungering for more abnett and Warmaster isn't out yet.

I absolutely love Abnett's writing for guilty pleasure reading. I think he gives such a better living, breathing universe feel to 40k than most of the other books.

I'm enjoying the Eisenhorn fare but it doesn't feel nearly as well written as Salvation's Reach. He's come a long way I think, both as a writer and in his conception of what the Imperium is.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Tadhg posted:

Although, I swear to god, if any of you are that creepy Fro-kid you might get a beating.

I've once had "Hi, Karandras" at a GW store. I left and my girlfriend who was with me at the time will never let me forget that moment.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Finally finished converting a Nob to a Big Mek. I may have gone overboard. Thoughts?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There is no such thing as overboard with Orks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Agreed, that Mek is awesome. Is that whole gun scratch built? It looks great, loving all the tubes and wiring coming off it.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Amazing. That thing is proper orky

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

There is no such thing as overboard with Orks.

Unless you have a battlewagon converted to look like a pirate ship and a bunch of orks are making some grits walk the plank.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Ashcans posted:

Agreed, that Mek is awesome. Is that whole gun scratch built? It looks great, loving all the tubes and wiring coming off it.

The little part where it meets the hand is a chopped up Nob slugga, the rest is all scratch built.

Thanks for the nice comments all, gets me pumped for my next project (whatever it may be).

Cataphract posted:

Unless you have a battlewagon converted to look like a pirate ship and a bunch of orks are making some grits walk the plank.

I would be ok with this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Probably not going to be able to make it to the anniversary event today dudes. Deviant's not going and that would have been my ride. Oh well! We'll get in games eventually.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

I've always been tempted to make one out of the Marienburg Class Land Ship from forgeworld.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I also added myself to the list - Adelaide, Australia - even though the majority of my first army (Eldar) is still on a container ship somewhere between Vancouver and Sydney, so I'm realistically a good couple of months away from actually being able to play.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Cool things from the Farsight Codex preview: Shas'O Riptide (Earth Caste Piloting Array), Fusion Blades, Warscraper drones, Commander Brightsword. Something about suit armies, but it's unclear, and Arthas Moloch is totally a demonworld now.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

raverrn posted:

Cool things from the Farsight Codex preview: Shas'O Riptide (Earth Caste Piloting Array), Fusion Blades, Warscraper drones, Commander Brightsword. Something about suit armies, but it's unclear, and Arthas Moloch is totally a demonworld now.

A Shas'O Riptide is enough to make me buy it. I'll even retire R'Alai for that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Schizotek, what's the gaming scene like down in Davie/Plantation? I'll be moving over that way in a couple weeks.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

raverrn posted:

That picture had it labeled "O'Vesa". According to the previous codex, the gun drones are known as Kor'Vesa. Between that and the "Earth Caste Piloting Array", I'd bet a buttcoin that it's drone a drone piloted Riptide.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

TheBlobThing posted:

Hey good idea! I'll just add my location.

Europe is kind of... sparse.
:negative:
:smith::hf::smith:
I added myself.
I'm the only one in Sweden so far. Well, I know one goon here personally, but he's in the other end of the country. :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OB_Juan posted:

That picture had it labeled "O'Vesa". According to the previous codex, the gun drones are known as Kor'Vesa. Between that and the "Earth Caste Piloting Array", I'd bet a buttcoin that it's drone a drone piloted Riptide.

Or maybe it has an earth caste pilot? :iiam:
Have those dudes ever shown up in anything before?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

I'm the only one in Sweden so far. Well, I know one goon here personally, but he's in the other end of the country. :negative:

Make that two. Added myself as well.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A full suit army is going to break my wallet far worse than anything that could go on the steam sale...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone think Dire Avenger body/heads would look way better on Shining Spears than their current makeup?

• Locked thread