Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So... you're trying to figure out if you should pay $600 a month to live with an older man and some international students or pay $500 a month and live in your own house with people your age where you can actually have fun?

I basically did option 2 in college. Rented a house with 3 friends. I can't imagine how boring college would have been if I rented a room from some random older dude and had to follow his rules. Not that we did anything bad (I'm stupidly responsible) but we had the occasional large loud party and everyone had their significant others over whenever they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

an skeleton posted:

I guess the problem is, I don't know how renting a place like that works as far as who takes responsibility for getting the 2000 dollars to the landlord. Does each person pay individually? do I rent it myself and they pay me? because being responsible for that large a sum making it to somebody is kind of scary thought-- I don't fear for myself, but for others making payments, which seems like it could be a reasonable fear with 3 strangers.

This depends on your individual arrangement with your landlord, but most will accept separate checks from each roommate.

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I understand it:

For making your roommates pay their part of the rent - well, you can't really. If you're named in the lease, you can be held legally accountable for the rent. If one of your roommates doesn't pay, your landlord will still expect the full payment - same if one of them leaves without warning. If your roommate doesn't pay his share of the rent, you can take him to court to collect, but that's on you and the other roommates - your landlord won't do this.

I am also under the impression that having everyone on the lease is better than having one person on the lease and having the others pay - for one, you won't have to deal with sublet laws. Additionally, if one of your roommates skips out on rent, the three remaining roommates will be legally accountable for paying the entire $2k, so there will be some extra motivation for them to help you hunt down the slacker and make him pay his debts.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

turing_test posted:

This depends on your individual arrangement with your landlord, but most will accept separate checks from each roommate.

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I understand it:

For making your roommates pay their part of the rent - well, you can't really. If you're named in the lease, you can be held legally accountable for the rent. If one of your roommates doesn't pay, your landlord will still expect the full payment - same if one of them leaves without warning. If your roommate doesn't pay his share of the rent, you can take him to court to collect, but that's on you and the other roommates - your landlord won't do this.

I am also under the impression that having everyone on the lease is better than having one person on the lease and having the others pay - for one, you won't have to deal with sublet laws. Additionally, if one of your roommates skips out on rent, the three remaining roommates will be legally accountable for paying the entire $2k, so there will be some extra motivation for them to help you hunt down the slacker and make him pay his debts.

Ahh, I see. I would try to seek out the 2nd arrangement as I am not in a position where I feel comfortable being potentially responsible for an extra 500-1500 dollars. The house I am looking at is so perfect, I wish I had 3 best friends that I could trust to rent it out.

razz posted:

So... you're trying to figure out if you should pay $600 a month to live with an older man and some international students or pay $500 a month and live in your own house with people your age where you can actually have fun?

I basically did option 2 in college. Rented a house with 3 friends. I can't imagine how boring college would have been if I rented a room from some random older dude and had to follow his rules. Not that we did anything bad (I'm stupidly responsible) but we had the occasional large loud party and everyone had their significant others over whenever they wanted.

Yes, this is basically my dilemma. I mean, the guy seems nice and I don't know if there is some benefit to me not being able to distract myself. But, my school is already notoriously nerdy and in a suburban area where I expect to spend most of my time studying, so it would be nice to come home to a place where I can let loose a little and not worry too much about upsetting Grandpa. :(

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I found my soon-to-be roommates on Craigslist well in advance of the school year starting. We've been talking for months, I've met up with one of them several times before now. We just got back from a four-day house hunting trip and it was awesome, we all have a great dynamic together and get along well (at least so far).

As an aside, househunting in a small, old college town where the rental market has students by the balls is an interesting experience. I've never seen so many places with weird bathrooms and oddly sloping floors. But we found a few gems and applications are how. Now, we wait.

Edit: got our first choice house!

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 12, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

RabbitMage posted:

As an aside, househunting in a small, old college town where the rental market has students by the balls is an interesting experience. I've never seen so many places with weird bathrooms and oddly sloping floors. But we found a few gems and applications are how. Now, we wait.

Yeah college towns always have weird houses. Some cities have weird laws that don't allow more than 4 unrelated people to share a rental house (no idea why, that's how it was where my brother went to school) so the landlords with those big giant houses just put up extra walls and subdivide the houses into multiple lovely particle-board-wall apartments with tiny bathrooms and little pseudo-bedrooms.

My friends were telling us about a place they looked at last year that only had one bathroom. The bathroom was so small that your knees hit the wall when you were on the toilet, so you had to sit sideways!

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
One place we looked at had a really strange bathroom set up. Off of the kitchen, there was one room with a door that housed a sink and some cabinets. Next to it, still off the kitchen, there was another room that housed a bathtub. Down the hall on what was clearly an enclosed porch, there was a room with a sloping floor that housed a single toilet that was probably at least 60 years old. "Interesting" is a kind way to put it.

The house we got is very nice, if a bit on the smaller size. Includes a working washer and dryer and a massive backyard, and the landlord's pretty chill. And it's purdy and yellow outside. :3:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Goddamn lovely Tampa Electric hasn't got back to me about turning on the power at my new place since I contacted them last Monday. The request definitely says I want it connected this Monday. My lease starts Monday, but I was planning on picking up my keys Tuesday, so at least they have a day and a half to get back to me (need service turned on to get keys). Why do they not want my money?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
My apartment windows let in way too much light, even with the blinds closed. I figure I need some blackout curtains and a tension rod. The width of the recessed areas surrounding my windows is just under 42", but the height is a little less than 6'.

I saw people talking a few pages back about the need to pay for a quality tension rod. Would this be a good idea? My bigger problem is that a quick search for, say, blackout curtains at JCPenney makes it look like my curtain choices are generally 42"x84" (too long) or 42"x63" (too short). Where should I be looking for curtains?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Tension rods suck, are you allowed to drill holes and install an actual curtain rod?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

razz posted:

are you allowed to drill holes
Nope. v:shobon:v

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Get the long ones and hem them :eng99:

Also be aware that if you're using a tension rod, the blackout curtains won't work as described; they'll be smaller than the window, so light will come in all around them.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Anne Whateley posted:

Get the long ones and hem them :eng99:
No one sells light-blocking curtains at a length of 72"?

quote:

Also be aware that if you're using a tension rod, the blackout curtains won't work as described; they'll be smaller than the window, so light will come in all around them.
Well, they'll be smaller than the width of the rod, but so is the window inside of its frame, so I think it'd still do a decent job. As in, the actual glass that lets light in is only the center 31 inches.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
If your walls are beige or white, drill anyway. I always ignore those rules, and just putty the holes before I leave. No one has ever noticed.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I've found a roommate offering near school at the right price (440/month with my own bedroom/bathroom?) but there are a few concerns that I'd like to air out here and maybe get some advice on.

For one, the roomie would be an Indian National who has been living in Britain for the past few years. I've spoken with him on facebook and he seems to speak English very well/be pretty normal, but I spoke with an owner of a house who said that he had had serious problems with international students not bathing enough and stinking up the entire house. I mean, I am not at all prejudiced but I do not want my house to smell like poo poo. Just speaking with him he seems p. cool but is there any polite way to ask him if he bathes? I don't want to be a jerk.

Other than that, I guess, do you think it is better to live in an apartment for 440 a month, but I have to furnish it, or a pre-furnished house for 525 (that may not be furnished in exactly the way I like, but will sure as hell have a bigger bed than my current twin size bed that I've had since high school.) A relative has offered to purchase and ship a bed to my apartment, should I go that route, so I guess that isn't a big problem, but are there any other things you would be looking for to make your decision in this case? In addition, the lease for the apartment is only 8 months but I'm guessing it could be extended so I wouldn't have to move out in the middle of the school year. Is that a given or do I need to be concerned about the lease ending? Overall, the house seems like it is probably less hassle, but more expensive and probably less freedom (if I want to come home at midnight and cook dinner that is probably only possible at the apartment.) I will be going to see the apartment and a couple of rooms next Saturday, what should I be looking for?

also if anyone has had experience rooming with international students that would be nice to hear. I think this guy is culturally adapted but I want to prepare for the worst.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 15, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

an skeleton posted:

Other than that, I guess, do you think it is better to live in an apartment for 440 a month, but I have to furnish it, or a pre-furnished house for 525 (that may not be furnished in exactly the way I like, but will sure as hell have a bigger bed than my current twin size bed that I've had since high school.)
You'd be spending an extra $1020 over the course of one year in the pre-furnished apartment, and you won't have any furniture to bring with you to your next place. You can furnish a college place for much less than that - the key is not being picky. You're in college, poo poo will happen(as will vomit, and blood, and unidentified body fluids), nice stuff is a liability. As far as I can tell, that house offers no advantage to you other than letting you put off some furniture buying(and avoiding the vague risk of an international roommate, but you're taking a risk with any roomie you don't know beforehand).

Get temporary stuff for while you're in school, then when you graduate and get your first non-college place, you can spend a few months picking out nicer furniture. Taking the furnished place means that you'll be furnishing your next apartment in a hurry, which is a recipe for overspending on stuff you won't like as much as what you'd have bought under normal circumstances.

You said you have a relative offering to buy & ship a bed for you; do you have any other relatives who could help with furnishing a place? 90% of the furniture in my college apartment was hand-me-downs from my roommate's & my own family. An old patio set(ie. our table+chairs for the dining room), bookshelves, a recliner, dressers - a bunch of stuff they didn't want anymore, but it was perfectly usable for us. It didn't look fancy, and it didn't match, but nobody's going to give a poo poo about that while you're in school.

Anything you don't get from that you can get off craigslist - a surprising amount of stuff is offered for free, and the rest is pretty damned cheap. Just try to stick to things that aren't upholstered unless you feel like playing bedbug roulette.

quote:

I will be going to see the apartment and a couple of rooms next Saturday, what should I be looking for?
-You said you're in Texas, so I'd check to see what the AC situation is like. Window units are what you'll usually find in apartments. Some places will only have one - in this case, having it in the bedroom is a huge plus. Having one in the bedroom and one in the living room is even better, but it's easier to deal with being hot during the day than when you're trying to sleep. Ceiling fans are also nice, but not as essential since you can buy your own fans.
-Look to see how well maintained their stuff is. Flick on lights, turn on faucets, see how easily every door and window opens and shuts. Don't run screaming if one or two things are slightly shoddy, but major problems ought to ring alarm bells in your mind. If they can't get their place up to snuff when they're trying to sell it to you, how well will they respond to maintenance requests after you sign the lease?
-Carpet vs hard floor. Carpet is a bitch and a half to clean, but it's also extremely common. Any sort of hard floor will be easier to clean & make it harder for the landlord to get a chunk of your security deposit, but it's also harder to find.
-Take a good, hard look at the kitchen. Layout issues in other rooms are relatively easy to get around, but a poorly set up kitchen can be a nightmare. Is there enough counter space to hold all your poo poo while you're cooking? Where will your microwave end up? How much cupboard space is there? Did some dumbass put the oven right next to the fridge?
-Talk to the people living in the building, if possible. They can shed light on issues that won't become apparent until you're actually living there. Are there cockroaches? Is the landlord hard to work with if issues arise? Do the people above you blare loud music every night?
-Is there laundry on site? You do not want to be stuck hauling laundry to and from a laundromat every week. You'll also want to see how many machines they have - it'll take more than one or two washers to handle an entire apartment complex full of college students.
-If you'll be bringing a car down, make sure you see what the parking is like. Are there assigned spots? Is it a free-for-all(if it is, how big is the lot)? How much does it cost? What are the policies for guest parking, particularly overnight guests?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
There's really no way to tell his personal hygiene habits until you move in with him, unless you hang out with him a lot before you sign the lease. One consistent complaint I've heard about living with Indians is that their food is pretty strong smelling and lingers for a while. My fiancé has Indian neighbors and when they make curry the whole floor of his building smells for a very long time.

As for your question about pre-furnished places, a lot of the time the included furniture is pretty beat up and gross. College students don't exactly treat furniture very nicely. I'd get some cheap furniture of your own. The majority of my friends in college all had furniture donated from various relatives. None of it matched and it was all old, but hey it was free.

I'd go with rooming with the Indian dude and if you can't stand him then get out when your lease is up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Am I just gonna ruin my ordinary, no-frills washing machine if I try to wash my queen bed's comforter in it? Ordinarily I take it to the nearest dry cleaners and have them launder it, but that gets old and kinda expensive.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ciaphas posted:

Am I just gonna ruin my ordinary, no-frills washing machine if I try to wash my queen bed's comforter in it? Ordinarily I take it to the nearest dry cleaners and have them launder it, but that gets old and kinda expensive.

Will it even fit? We tried to stuff our queen comforter in a regular washer and there's no way in hell it was going to fit. I haven't tried putting it in my fancy-rear end new frontloader yet.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So... I have an opportunity to transfer at my job which would mean my wife and I could get out of rural living with my parents, finally.

What gives me pause is that all the apartments we can afford would basically leave me, post-expense, with a buffer of like $100 a month. On the other hand, the only debt I have is $8K on my car (which I could just pay off in full but the APR is 0.9% so I'm not sure that's the wisest use of my money) and I have something on the order of a year's worth of wages saved up.

Is it crazy to consider this and basically have my savings as a cushion until my wife finds a job in the area? She's just gotten her work permit (she's from Korea) so she's allowed to work now but finding one is another matter. But on the other hand, if someone told me tomorrow I had to pay the entire lease's worth of rent out of savings I could do it, so I do have some wiggle room...

e: A signifcant part of this is I'm paying like $600/mo. for healthcare because my wife's coverage is wholly unsubsidized by my employer. But it still seems like I can't beat that on the private market once you factor in the favored tax treatment

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 15, 2013

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ciaphas posted:

You might not ruin the washing machine, but you might ruin the comforter. Personal experience on that one: it fit, but during the spin cycle part of it flopped up somehow and got caught on something underneath and ripped it all to hell and back.

For the new one we bought we just take it to a friend who has one of the huge HE washers. :v: I am inherently wary of putting a comforter in a washing machine now, particularly the old ones where there's room for poo poo to go up under the metal frame work.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So... I have an opportunity to transfer at my job which would mean my wife and I could get out of rural living with my parents, finally.

I think you should do it, if your wife's English-speaking skills are already up to par. You're going to have to take this leap sometime anyway, right? And the benefit of staying at your parents would be just to increase your savings more before you made the plunge, it won't change how hard it will be to actually do it. And if you've already got that much savings, then I'd say go for this transfer opportunity since it's one job already in the bag, with a move. And of course living with parents is awful, let's not forget that.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

helopticor posted:

My apartment windows let in way too much light, even with the blinds closed. I figure I need some blackout curtains and a tension rod. The width of the recessed areas surrounding my windows is just under 42", but the height is a little less than 6'.

I saw people talking a few pages back about the need to pay for a quality tension rod. Would this be a good idea? My bigger problem is that a quick search for, say, blackout curtains at JCPenney makes it look like my curtain choices are generally 42"x84" (too long) or 42"x63" (too short). Where should I be looking for curtains?

http://www.amazon.com/Gila-PB78-Pri...nyl+window+film

This stuff doesn't use adhesive, so it's super easy to peel off when you move.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Costello Jello posted:

I think you should do it, if your wife's English-speaking skills are already up to par. You're going to have to take this leap sometime anyway, right? And the benefit of staying at your parents would be just to increase your savings more before you made the plunge, it won't change how hard it will be to actually do it. And if you've already got that much savings, then I'd say go for this transfer opportunity since it's one job already in the bag, with a move. And of course living with parents is awful, let's not forget that.

(sorry for the dull life details here)

I mean, no one's going to mistake her for a native speaker, but she's pretty good. For better or worse, I think a lot of time spent with my parents has forced a lot of practice. Plus, even if she were gonna get a job waiting tables or being a cashier or something along those lines, it would still all be on top of the money to cover our basic expenses. So I think that it's OK for her to start out doing something like that. Since I'm working at a nonprofit I've also encouraged her to volunteer to get some experience being in an American office and hopefully make some connections.

To tell you the truth, my thinking was leaning toward the things you're saying, but my wife had misgivings... it's kind of good to hear I'm not totally losing it. I've kind of singlemindedly been saving money since I graduated with the aim of getting married to my wife (who was in Korea most of the time) so navigating the "next steps" gets a little tricky.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

(sorry for the dull life details here)

I mean, no one's going to mistake her for a native speaker, but she's pretty good. For better or worse, I think a lot of time spent with my parents has forced a lot of practice. Plus, even if she were gonna get a job waiting tables or being a cashier or something along those lines, it would still all be on top of the money to cover our basic expenses. So I think that it's OK for her to start out doing something like that. Since I'm working at a nonprofit I've also encouraged her to volunteer to get some experience being in an American office and hopefully make some connections.

To tell [quote="RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS" post="417475136"]

What gives me pause is that all the apartments we can afford would basically leave me, post-expense, with a buffer of like $100 a month. On the other hand, the only debt I have is $8K on my car (which I could just pay off in full but the APR is 0.9% so I'm not sure that's the wisest use of my money) and I have something on the order of a year's worth of wages saved up.

Is it crazy to consider this and basically have my savings as a cushion until my wife finds a job in the area? She's just gotten her work permit (she's from Korea) so she's allowed to work now but finding one is another matter. But on the other hand, if someone told me tomorrow I had to pay the entire lease's worth of rent out of savings I could do it, so I do have some wiggle room...

e: A signifcant part of this is I'm paying like $600/mo. for healthcare because my wife's coverage is wholly unsubsidized by my employer. But it still seems like I can't beat that on the private market once you factor in the favored tax treatment

Have you actually run a quote on individual coverage for her? This seems really high. Unless she has health issues and is really old, you should be able to beat that.

E: Posting from your phone while also on hold is a bad idea.

john mayer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 15, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

john mayer posted:

Have you actually run a quote on individual coverage for her? This seems really high. Unless she has health issues and is really old, you should be able to beat that.

E: Posting from your phone while also on hold is a bad idea.

We're 24 and she's in good health.

I just looked online but I saw a lot of stuff that was like, $100 cheaper but offered practically no coverage. Then again, I'm moving to a different state and the market might be totally different. And I never picked up the phone and talked to someone; maybe I should have.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

We're 24 and she's in good health.

I just looked online but I saw a lot of stuff that was like, $100 cheaper but offered practically no coverage. Then again, I'm moving to a different state and the market might be totally different. And I never picked up the phone and talked to someone; maybe I should have.

Find a broker in the state you are moving to and get a quote. They'll be able to pull plans from all the carriers that are comparable to the kind of coverage you have/are looking for. $600 is just way too much to be paying for a healthy young person. If you aren't anticipating having kids this year and have decent savings, it might be worth going for less coverage too.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

To tell you the truth, my thinking was leaning toward the things you're saying, but my wife had misgivings... it's kind of good to hear I'm not totally losing it.

Is it possible your wife's misgivings have less to do with disagreeing with your rationale, and more to do with anxiety and apprehension about starting the already-difficult process of interviewing, but in a foreign country where she feels out of place and unfamiliar with American job culture?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Costello Jello posted:

Is it possible your wife's misgivings have less to do with disagreeing with your rationale, and more to do with anxiety and apprehension about starting the already-difficult process of interviewing, but in a foreign country where she feels out of place and unfamiliar with American job culture?

I don't think so. She wants to work. But she doesn't come from as privileged a background as I do so she's very conservative when it comes to money. I don't really think of myself as a spendthrift either but I'm not on the same plane as she is. (I could probably expand this into a much longer thing but I think we've mostly worked this out after living together and sharing an income stream for a while)

john mayer posted:

Find a broker in the state you are moving to and get a quote. They'll be able to pull plans from all the carriers that are comparable to the kind of coverage you have/are looking for. $600 is just way too much to be paying for a healthy young person. If you aren't anticipating having kids this year and have decent savings, it might be worth going for less coverage too.
This is useful advice. Do you have a feel for what might be reasonable?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 16, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So I missed out on a housing opportunity and I'm now feeling the sweet sting of regret :( It was the right place and stuff and I was going to finalize my decision today when I found that it had already been taken. The thing that was making the decision hard for me was the fact that the other accommodation is a little closer, but after it was taken I realized the shuttle for the school is on the apartment's street every 20 minutes. I'm finding the process of room/apartment hunting incredibly stressful.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

an skeleton posted:

So I missed out on a housing opportunity and I'm now feeling the sweet sting of regret :( It was the right place and stuff and I was going to finalize my decision today when I found that it had already been taken. The thing that was making the decision hard for me was the fact that the other accommodation is a little closer, but after it was taken I realized the shuttle for the school is on the apartment's street every 20 minutes. I'm finding the process of room/apartment hunting incredibly stressful.

Hunting is really really stressful :smith:. When I was looking for apartments, if I waited to get an apartment I wanted, it was already gone. There was only one apartment I saw that didn't get rented (it had a hideous kitchen and was in the middle of nowhere, I think its still available).

The only reason I got my current apartment is because after seeing it, I knew I wanted it and put money down right then and there. I had done my homework about the area so I already knew what I was getting into.

Just be persistent, you'll get something :3:.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Hunting is really really stressful :smith:. When I was looking for apartments, if I waited to get an apartment I wanted, it was already gone. There was only one apartment I saw that didn't get rented (it had a hideous kitchen and was in the middle of nowhere, I think its still available).

The only reason I got my current apartment is because after seeing it, I knew I wanted it and put money down right then and there. I had done my homework about the area so I already knew what I was getting into.

Just be persistent, you'll get something :3:.

Yeah. It's a delicate balance between settling and finding something you actually want, combined with having limited information about what is actually available, since I don't live in the area plus it's my first time searching. I am learning a lot, though, so that's a plus I guess.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Yeah. It's a delicate balance between settling and finding something you actually want, combined with having limited information about what is actually available, since I don't live in the area plus it's my first time searching. I am learning a lot, though, so that's a plus I guess.

I can't even imagine having to search for info when you're not even close to the area. Are you planning on living alone or do you have roommates lined up?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We live in a very competitive rental market (Boston) and you don't get a chance to think about it. Half the time by the time you get home and fill out an application the place is gone. In that sort of market, what we did was make a list of things that we really needed. So like, two bedrooms, laundry in the building, and less than 15minutes to transit. As soon as you find a place that meets your requirements, you put in an application and deposit on the spot (we carried pre-filled applications and our checkbook to any showings). If you spend time fussing over preferences (oh, this kitchen is ugly, this bathroom is small, etc.) you will end up spending months having stuff pulled from under you and end up settling on something you still don't like at the last minute instead.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I can't even imagine having to search for info when you're not even close to the area. Are you planning on living alone or do you have roommates lined up?

I have a couple of prospects, but everything is sort of flaky because there is a shortage of on campus housing so I think there is a lot of competition for rooms and stuff. So I started looking at rooms and, at first, was pleasantly surprised by the amount of availability that opened up. Then I realized I think I would prefer an apartment, I can't explain why but I have been living in a disgusting house for the past couple of years (I live with a couple of relatives who refuse to improve their living situation) and am afraid to end up in a similar situation, also a couple of the landlords of the houses I have been speaking to have given me a weird vibe, plus it's more expensive than an apartment. One was just older (47 y/o returning student) and therefore I feel uncomfortable (I am a night person, and though I will not have time to "party" much probably I would like the option of having a friend or girl over for the night). I am probably just being too picky, I should've confirmed with this international student (apt on the bus shuttle line for 439/mo) but I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to be a complete culture shock. I have also met a potential roommate (he doesnt have an apt lined up but we were gonna find one together) but it was on Reddit and this site has given me an unhealthy fear of Redditors.

Basically the lesson here is I need to quit being so loving picky but I am terrified of living with people I am incompatible with even though I am a respectful person-- my first year of college, I lived in a dorm with 2 suitemates, 2 pothead black guys, one was pretty alright but the other guy would constantly ask to borrow poo poo and like use my razor without asking, plus they just smoked weed all the time and were really a terrible influence as far as positive habits were concerned. (I have no problem with smoking weed as a rule but I don't really want that type of roommate again unless they are motivated as well)

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, seriously, suck it up. Sign a shorter lease if you are scared, or rent a month-to-month room with an established household until you find some roommates you know you can tolerate.

Students sometimes seem to forget that a year ISN'T THAT LONG. I've lived in lovely places for 6months or a year just to have the funds built up and the time to search for my PERFECT PLACE :swoon:

You most likely will not find that PERFECT PLACE while not living in the city. You have to live there long enough to get the lay of the land. Where are the buses? What are the good neighborhoods that are still affordable? Where is the only good restaurant that is open til 3am?

Take something tolerable for a year and make NEXT year your time to shine.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If a landlord or roommate gives you a weird vibe there is nothing wrong with going with your gut. Yes you should be less picky, but if you're concerned you're gonna be living in a lovely situation for a year then theres really no reason to consider that place.

Try to get to know your potential redditor-roommate. He might just go on Reddit for dumb memes and be totally chill. He might also be a horrifying monster who questionable opinions. Creep on his facebook and you'll probably get a good idea of what kind of person he is.

You can also try the LAN threads on SA to see if anyone needs a roommate! Same applies as with the redditor, not all goons are created equal. Plus two awesome great people might make lovely roommates. I think there is checklist somewhere in this thread with good questions to ask your roommate.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Thanks y'all, I'm feeling a bit better about this horrifying process now.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I live in an apartment in Baltimore and since the temperature here has been in the 90's this week, our AC has not been able to keep the temperature in the apartment under 80. We set in the lower 70's and in the morning it is at the right place, but it climbs steadily until it's 80 at midday and hasn't cooled down when we go to sleep.

We called maintenance and they sent someone over who basically said they didn't find anything wrong. So I guess it's just an extremely crappy AC system or something. This apartment complex is actually one of the nicer ones in the area - and the rent reflects that - so it's kind of difficult to take this. Especially since my wife works from home 1-2 times and week and I do often as well.

Do I have a real complaint against them, meaning can I call them and demand they do something about it? Or can they just say, "Sorry, that is the AC we have, deal with it" - ?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Doghouse posted:

I live in an apartment in Baltimore and since the temperature here has been in the 90's this week, our AC has not been able to keep the temperature in the apartment under 80.

I lived in an apartment that couldn't cool below 82 in the summer, and I didn't think it was a big deal with a ceiling fan turned on. Buy some fans. Or buy a portable AC unit, the kind that has a hose to exhaust out a window, and close yourself off in the office or bedroom during the day, if you're that heat sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could check your city/state code to see if their are temperature restrictions. For instance, in Boston a residential unit has to be capable of being heated to a certain temperature (65?) and if that isn't possible, it's not a legal unit. These are much more common for heat rather than AC, though.

The problem is that even if you win this sort of complaint, the 'victory' is usually just being allowed to break your lease and move without penalty. What you are basically saying is 'This is not a habitable space' and that means you no longer want to live there - if you just want, like, a cut off your rent you are admitting it is habitable, just that you think you're being gouged (which is legal).

You can certainly continue to make a fuss with the management, but you might not have much legal ground to work with. From a practical standpoint, you could try limiting it to one room? Pick the place you want to be during the heat, and close off other vents/etc so the AC can be focused on a smaller space.