Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They do exist, but generally they are in front of news agents and not up against random brick walls/ 10 Downing Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think thats a propped up newspaper though, just a corner of the comic cut out to explain the joke.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tony Jowns posted:

Are signs with the front page headline in big bold letters really that uncommon/archaic in the UK that they're what people choose to mock about his cartoons? One or two of them are out the front of pretty much every newsagent here in Australia.

It's just a pretty loving lazy way of making cartoons. Compare "Two people comment on a sign explaining the topic" to Bell or Rowson's work, or even that Torygraph guy's.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
They're pretty common, but they're not only an explanation of a joke that, if done properly, would be obvious from context, they're also an amazingly lazy and overused mechanism to explain said joke.

e:f,b

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah everything he does is basically
a) physical sign establishes topic, one person makes joke about it to one or more people doing this :stare:
b) one person makes joke to one or more people doing this :stare:, corner sign explains the joke
c) actual attempt at cartoon as visual humour (usually involving a caricature of someone famous), one person takes the corner sign role and explains the joke to someone doing this :stare:

It's not even his lack of skill, he's just an incredibly lazy cartoonist. He swaps around identikit characters in the same handful of locations because it literally doesn't matter what's happening in the image most of the time, it's just background dressing for someone making some topical observation. The fact he spends so little care and imagination on his scenes (when they could be pretty much ANYTHING so long as there's at least one living creature to spout an inanity) just shows he can't even be bothered spending more than 5 minutes working with his medium.

Honestly it makes me wonder if it informs his lovely opinions - if opportunities exist for someone as lazy and talentless as Paul Thomas to actually have a successful career, being paid to draw the same thing over and over in crayon and write the first witticism that pops into his head (all done while he's waiting for his mate to get the next round in), what must he think about people who are still out of work?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I just wanna say I've gone back 3 pages in the thread to the cartoon post on the 3rd July and I want to inform the thread that doing a quick and dirty straw poll 48 posts of 85 or so were about Paul Thomas and poo poo poo poo cartoons. I'm pretty sure the trend continues long before 3rd July.

He may be poo poo, we all hate him, but he is the most discussed cartoonist in this thread. Most of those posts are about the bird and the fox though.

That's the end of my Thread Facts! Makes you think!

fake edit: this is not a criticism just an observation

real edit: mods rename this thread to UK Political Cartoons Thread; Unofficial Paul Thomas Apprecation Station (I know it's too long)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Always easier to say "This is poo poo!" than "This is great!".

Guardian:

Ban packed lunches, head teachers urged; Plain cigarette packaging plans put on hold.

Telegraph:

Stephen Collins:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

The tories sure do have their priorities on order. :shepface:

Also in the Telegraph one, the whole "Jam tomorrow" thing, Osborne tried that before but then kept coming up with excuses when the Jam didn't come. Unless the joke is "Tomorrow never comes".

Ah ok ya, really need to get in habit of refreshing before editing.
V

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The joke of Jam Tomorrow is that you're never going to get any jam.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

The joke of Jam Tomorrow is that you're never going to get any jam.

Yeah, semi asleep :(. Love the Stephen Collins cartoon :swoon:.

Also in the Rowson, Clegg is chopsticks! :neckbeard:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

Sunday Telegraph:

[A bit presumptuous, we haven't won the cricket yet :ohdear:]

Independent on Sunday:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Riddell, you're a great artist, why do you have to cover everything in labels?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Without the union label you can't actually tell what Ed is cleaning up after. In this case it was either necessary or you had to give the horse a miners hat or whatever stereotypical union attire is over there. Although at the same time even with the complete comic I can't off the top of my head remember donors conspiring to rig a Conservative election. Do those candidates that Cameron parachuted into safe districts count?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, I admit it's a little ambiguous without that label. But you'd think it would have been pretty easy to make it clear the horse represents the unions with some sort of visual cue rather than putting it in lettering across its chest.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Make it a pit pony, and put the pig in pinstripes.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

I first assumed the horse was a unicorn and thought "oh Falkirk is in Scotland so it makes sense". Then looked again and it doesn't have a horn at all, there must be something in this tea :psyduck: So yeah, a reasonable label.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

So that's why post bikes are too dangerous to use; they attract the attention of murderous fatcats. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I first assumed the horse was a unicorn and thought "oh Falkirk is in Scotland so it makes sense". Then looked again and it doesn't have a horn at all, there must be something in this tea :psyduck: So yeah, a reasonable label.

Scotland has unicorns? :wotwot:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

prefect posted:

Scotland has unicorns? :wotwot:

They're our national animal. It's awesome.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Liverpool care pathway, Zimmerman verdict and Belfast riots – Report expected to recommend phasing out system for terminally ill patients after claims it is being used to hasten death"

Telegraph:

JK Rowling revealed as author of The Cuckoo's Calling

Independent:

Conservatives dismiss Lynton Crosby tobacco link 'smears'

Express:

:sun: It's hot! :supaburn:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Are those underpants literally defying gravity on the edge of the washing machine?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Does the turkey in the refrigerator count as a hidden bird?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Are those underpants literally defying gravity on the edge of the washing machine?
They are being suspended by the same arcane force that is keeping that coat on the wall in the wrong shape for a hook but with no visible hanger. It is a similar force to the one that maintains Paul Thomas's career.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Liverpool care pathway, Zimmerman verdict and Belfast riots – Report expected to recommend phasing out system for terminally ill patients after claims it is being used to hasten death"

This is a work of art, painting wise. :swoon:

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Global Warming? :smug:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Better write firearms unit on this guy's back in case people don't realise this cop with a gun is a firearm cop.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

marktheando posted:

Better write firearms unit on this guy's back in case people don't realise this cop with a gun is a firearm cop.

I told you we should have brought the #yolo sacks!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Iain Duncan Smith and the benefits cap – Polling shows the move to cap benefits is the single most popular reform the government has made to the welfare system"

Telegraph:

Airport capacity: Boris Johnson announces three proposals

Express:

:sun: It's still hot! :supaburn:

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

:sun: It's still hot! :supaburn:
That swallow has clearly never heard of Icarus.

EDIT: Wait, hold up just a darn minute - since when have the Royal Family lived at the god-damned White House!?

hazza fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 16, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

hazza posted:

That swallow has clearly never heard of Icarus.

EDIT: Wait, hold up just a darn minute - since when have the Royal Family lived at the god-damned White House!?

The American Revolution was a very complicated practical joke and the Royal Family has been so charmed by how hard everyone fell for it that they've been holding off telling us all for the last 240 years.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

hazza posted:

It's a terrible rendition of the back of Buckingham Palace, I think.

(Note the lack of pool.)

quote:

"Steve Bell on Iain Duncan Smith and the benefits cap – Polling shows the move to cap benefits is the single most popular reform the government has made to the welfare system"
'People live better on benefits than in work' should not produce that end argument. It's like saying fewer unemployed people suffer work-related stress than among employed people, so their stress levels should be artificially raised accordingly.

:suicide:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'd never seen it from the end but goddamn is Palace Garden boring.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

It's basically just used for lawn parties, isn't it? I imagine a huge open space is better for security too.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
All the fun happens in the trees, where the pageboys & butlers go cottaging.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Late Independent:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on political reaction to the Keogh review – Health secretary says 11 of 14 hospitals investigated over high death rates will be put into 'special measures'"

Telegraph:

Left: Andy Burnham, former Secretary of State for Health; Right, Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Health. I think.

Independent:

Yesterday's Daily Mail:
"Heavily pregnant, Zara Phillips is causing concern by continuing to compete in show jumping events."

quote:

“I just hope sometime soon Zara Phillips will discover the heady excitement of Scrabble during pregnancy.”

Daily Mail:
"A scathing enquiry has been published on the high mortality numbers at various NHS hospitals in the country."

quote:

“Yes. Business is brisk. Location, location, location!”

Express:

:sun: It's really rather hot! :supaburn:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

String vests, Thomas? For gently caress's sake.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do like the peeping Tom shirtless copper hiding in the bushes to look in at the window...

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I like the idea of having the house number above the fire place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
How else will Santa know he's in the right place?

• Locked thread