Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Rooster posted:

In fact, there wouldn't even be a need for a D&D parody comic if it weren't for the inherent contradictions and nonsensical stuff within the system.

At least there wouldn't be much to work with.

I would like to say that it's not the dumb rules that drive the parody OOTS has of D&D, but the cliches, and their subversion. But that's starting to sound a little too :tvtropes:, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
OOTS is kinda TVTropes-caliber in a lot of ways, especially earlier on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danzou posted:

You take that back. :mad:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Danzou posted:

That's more than a little harsh.

The forums, on the other hand...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

So is Roy dead again?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

So is Roy dead again?
You mean in the :siren: NEW COMIC!!!!:siren:?
Don't think so.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

You mean in the :siren: NEW COMIC!!!!:siren:?
Don't think so.

Oh well, NOW what the Hell?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

navyjack posted:

Oh well, NOW what the Hell?
It's the Snarl Gate. The order of the stick are going to form Snarl Gate team 1 and forever be called SG1.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nice Indiana Jones 4 reference with the cockroaches.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Interesting. The view from Azure City's gate was a distant planet, now it seems to have zoomed in a lot.

Explanation A: each rift is at a different point of the Snarlworld, so distances might vary.
Explanation B: each gate destruction brings the Snarlworld closer. (Probably the more interesting option of those two.)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I like how Belkar is actually the one to be insightful here.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I love the nonchalant reveal of what happened to Xykon. Course as a lich I suppose it doesn't really matter too much? Though he took long enough to regenerate last time so that could be the key to the order escaping this situation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I love that the MitD's battle damage is shown as damage to his umbrella. That is hilarious.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Order seems pretty hosed here if they bad guys push it. It's not like Xykon can't just fly up and start nuking them from above. Sort of wondering if they're going to have to jump through the rift to get away.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What spell did Roy just get hit with, a disintegrate? That's what, a d8 per caster level or something?(wrong eye is destruction domain)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

greatn posted:

What spell did Roy just get hit with, a disintegrate? That's what, a d8 per caster level or something?(wrong eye is destruction domain)

It's disintegrate. 2d6 per level.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FMguru posted:

Nice Indiana Jones 4 reference with the cockroaches.

One even has the hat and whip!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Colonel Cool posted:

It's a Fort save for half damage, too, and that's easily Roy's best save. There's no way he bites it from a single disintegrate. Hell, it might take three or four.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a Fort save for half damage, too, and that's easily Roy's best save. There's no way he bites it from a single disintegrate. Hell, it might take three or four.

Disintegrate actually has a special save. A pass completely neuters the spell by reducing it to 5d6 damage.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Cliff Racer posted:

I love the nonchalant reveal of what happened to Xykon. Course as a lich I suppose it doesn't really matter too much? Though he took long enough to regenerate last time so that could be the key to the order escaping this situation.

Clearly he was hit by Vorpal debris!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cool posted:

Order seems pretty hosed here if they bad guys push it. It's not like Xykon can't just fly up and start nuking them from above. Sort of wondering if they're going to have to jump through the rift to get away.

I had to go back and check, but yeah he still has his hands. The lower half of him was blown off, but yeah, hands+ voice is all he'd need, I guess. Half a lich is as dangerous as a whole one, I suppose.
Also, would he regen his body as he is, or would the rest have to be destroyed and regen out of the amulet?

I'm going to say he can regen as he is, mostly because it is waaay too early for that reveal.

But yes, the Order is in a pretty bad spot between a (pissed) high level cleric and a half of a lich(also pissed). Not to mention, that unless haley has the flying carpet in her bags, then they are stuck weeks into the desert with no means of transportation, no food and no water. Of course, this being a comic, I am sure something will happen to solve these problems.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 14, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Johnny Aztec posted:

I had to go back and check, but yeah he still has his hands. The lower half of him was blown off, but yeah, hands+ voice is all he'd need, I guess. Half a lich is as dangerous as a whole one, I suppose.
Also, would he regen his body as he is, or would the rest have to be destroyed and regen out of the amulet?

I'm going to say he can regen as he is, mostly because it is waaay too early for that reveal.

I don't think he is going to regenerate, he is literally trying to pull himself together.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There's no way they can have this fight right now without V and Durkon, and with their best two fighters in terrible shape. They'll jump through the Rift to the other world.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Colonel Cool posted:

Disintegrate actually has a special save. A pass completely neuters the spell by reducing it to 5d6 damage.

Even better, for Roy.

I guess that explains why O-Chul was able to take so many to the face. His Fort save is going to be as good as Roy's, if not better.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think it's just about time for Tarquin to show up with whatever his plan is.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Liches don't really need bodies.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Terror Sweat posted:

Liches don't really need bodies.

I guess this makes him a hemi-demilich? :downsrim:

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
where'd the roaches and that case come from?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The important thing isn't whether Xykon can fight with half a body, but whether he will. I wouldn't want to chase heroes around a desert to realise I don't know where I left my other limbs. The Order might beat a hasty retreat while he's distracted.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

spoon daddy posted:

The Land of Sight Gags and Pop-Culture.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Brannock posted:

There's no way they can have this fight right now without V and Durkon, and with their best two fighters in terrible shape. They'll jump through the Rift to the other world.

Going from being stranded in the middle of a desert(with an angry cleric and lich) to being stranded in the middle of an alien ocean.
I think they have a better chance fighting it out.

Edit: Okay , this has been bugging me. The time frame for the Soon adventure just doesn't seem to add up.
Okay, in the flash back , it says the gates were made 65 years ago. However, in this comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html it shows Soon as a white haired old man, giving leadership to Shojo's father. Shojo himself is a small child. IN the scenes of Soon while making the gates, he is shown as a younger man. At the least, there is no gray in his hair, so maaaaybe middle age.
Shojo says that after his father died, Shojo ruled for 47 years. Shojo is portrayed as an old man who's mind has left him. Demented. Both that, and how he is drawn says "Old man" to me. More than 60, I would say. In his 70's or even 80's. If he was made ruler when he was 15, that would be 62 years. However, where the hell did Soon find the time to become a wizened old man?
We know that Soon and the rest actually existed, but I'm with Belkar. Someone is yanking a chain.

Also, go back a few comics, Soon was on a diplomatic mission to the elven lands, from Azure city. Actually, looking back myself, it shows that the castle they are in wasn't built yet, and the tiny tiny rift was way up in the air, so okay I can see how that would escape notice.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 14, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Shojo is portrayed as an old man who's mind has left him. Demented. Both that, and how he is drawn says "Old man" to me.

Shojo was a lot of things but he was anything but demented. The whole thing was just an act to throw off assholes like Kobuta who wanted to off him and take the crown for themselves.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, yeah. That's what I meant. He portrays himself as that, but I use that to say he is old, because an old man being demented is more believable to the general populace.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hey, Redcloak knows who Roy is!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can I just go ahead and be the one to say I'm really surprised it wasn't Belkar who was disintegrated?

It'd be a horrific cut-short on his arc... which could have been used to make his death actually shocking. And, with a few good strips, it could actually work well with his 'accidental redemption' arc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DoctorTristan posted:

I guess this makes him a hemi-demilich? :downsrim:

:golfclap:

spoon daddy posted:

The roaches break the fourth wall all the time. And Indiana Jones sheltered in a lead fridge from an atom bomb in the last movie.

Colon V posted:

Can I just go ahead and be the one to say I'm really surprised it wasn't Belkar who was disintegrated?

It'd be a horrific cut-short on his arc... which could have been used to make his death actually shocking. And, with a few good strips, it could actually work well with his 'accidental redemption' arc.

There have been about fourteen Belkar death fake-outs, so you can chuck it on the pile - it would have been an excellent one though.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 14, 2013

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

sebmojo posted:

The roaches break the fourth wall all the time. And Indiana Jones sheltered in a lead fridge from an atom bomb in the last movie.

It also lampoons the fact that the order lampoons the fridge-nuking scene by hiding in Girard's casket.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

nimby posted:

It also lampoons the fact that the order lampoons the fridge-nuking scene by hiding in Girard's casket.

I'm sure there's some joke about the rift between Girard's buttcheeks hiding in there somewhere.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Colonel Cool posted:

Not Finger of Death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Hey, Redcloak knows who Roy is!
Of course he knows, they are both in the "our name is just the color and the name of an item we carry around our back " team. Red cloak and green hilt.