Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Netflix Originals: I can't tell if I'm enjoying it, or if I'm settling for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
House of Cards is a good example of a show that I enjoyed at the time but then given some time/space from it realize it's not really all that good.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

maxnmona posted:

Netflix Originals: I can't tell if I'm enjoying it, or if I'm settling for it.

HAHA!

Honestly, you kind of have to hand it to them for trying. They're producing original content and only charging $7/mo for it. poo poo... I'll watch it just to give them numbers out of thanks.

priznat posted:

House of Cards is a good example of a show that I enjoyed at the time but then given some time/space from it realize it's not really all that good.

You're absolutely right. Why they cast Kevin Spacey for that role is absolutely beyond me.

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Yeah, my roku 3 is pretty much my netflix box but there are a couple of music and cooking channels I really like too. The headphones from the remote thing is pretty awesome too.

Do you have yours wired or do you rely on Wifi? If unwired, what kind of ranger are you getting? I'm trying to decide what to do for our bedroom. We've got a 50 inch back there but no ethernet jack (apartment) and just an old 360 Elite as the Netflix box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

I actually enjoyed it more on my second watch.

It's been up for awhile but I just now saw Please Vote For Me. It's fantastic.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Rhyno posted:

Do you have yours wired or do you rely on Wifi? If unwired, what kind of ranger are you getting? I'm trying to decide what to do for our bedroom. We've got a 50 inch back there but no ethernet jack (apartment) and just an old 360 Elite as the Netflix box.

Much better than the roku 2. It's about ~20 feet away from the router but there are a couple of old, thick walls in the way. Our old roku 2 had to have the bedroom door open to work and got three bars at best, this one keeps a solid connection no matter what. It also supports Super HD on netflix, if you're interested in that. My bedroom TV is a 32in 720p but I'm curious to try it out on the big one in the living room to see how it looks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Much better than the roku 2. It's about ~20 feet away from the router but there are a couple of old, thick walls in the way. Our old roku 2 had to have the bedroom door open to work and got three bars at best, this one keeps a solid connection no matter what. It also supports Super HD on netflix, if you're interested in that. My bedroom TV is a 32in 720p but I'm curious to try it out on the big one in the living room to see how it looks.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Need to make a decision soon, I can't take much more Say Yes to the Dress.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I have enjoyed Orange is the New Black quite a bit. I have liked House of Cards and the new season of Arrested Development as well. I tried watching Bad Samaritans but I couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes.

Hemlock Grove was terrible also.

Are there any other originals? I know they are supposed to get exclusive US rights to Derek.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tennis Ball posted:

I have enjoyed Orange is the New Black quite a bit. I have liked House of Cards and the new season of Arrested Development as well. I tried watching Bad Samaritans but I couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes.

Are there any other originals? I know they are supposed to get exclusive US rights to Derek.

Think it was mentioned earlier, but Lilyhammer. Probably my favorite of the Netflix originals so far ( I don't count Arrested Development as original )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The anime talk got me to try out a few more of what they have on offer, and Angel Beats is quite amusing. It's basically LOST meets Battle Royale meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer as imagined by Suda51. If you're into that kind of thing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Since we're recommending things: My favorite sitcom on Netflix right now is Raising Hope. It's by the same team that did My Name is Earl, so it's got that "quirky white trash reveling in being white trash" vibe to it, but since I'm pretty much white trash I love the show. Garrett Dillahunt loving kills it in a rare non-villian role, and Cloris Leachman steals scenes that she's not even in. It's worth it for those two alone, but everyone else is top notch as well. The first season has a lot of My Name is Earl callbacks and in-jokes, if you liked that show you will love Raising Hope.

I'm watching The Fall right now based on the recommendations in this thread, and remembering that I really love Gillian Anderson. She's a great actress when given the right role, I remember seeing her on Letterman or Conan years ago and coming off like a complete ditz, which makes her performances as really strong and bright female leads all that much more impressive.

I also really like Life, starring Damian Lewis, with recurring villian perfomances by Garrett Dillahunt too. It suffers from some weak writing at times, but for a sort of popcorn police drama it works, and it begins and ends really strongly.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 14, 2013

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched The House of the Devil which I'm pretty sure was recommended earlier in the thread. I was a little bit disappointed by the ending only because the tension had risen to nearly unbearable levels before that; the last 20 minutes are, by contrast, far more plain straightforward horror stuff. I'm not sure the story makes much sense in retrospect though - why bother shooting Megan? Why the elaborate ordeal of a drugged pizza if they're just going to tie her up later? . Still, pretty effective and a good movie to watch at night with the lights off :unsmigghh:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david_a posted:

I watched The House of the Devil which I'm pretty sure was recommended earlier in the thread. I was a little bit disappointed by the ending only because the tension had risen to nearly unbearable levels before that; the last 20 minutes are, by contrast, far more plain straightforward horror stuff. I'm not sure the story makes much sense in retrospect though - why bother shooting Megan? Why the elaborate ordeal of a drugged pizza if they're just going to tie her up later? . Still, pretty effective and a good movie to watch at night with the lights off :unsmigghh:

A) Because Meghan would be coming back later in the night to pick her up, thus endangering the entire ritual. Also they are evil and B) because they're just an old woman, and older demony woman, a crippled old man, and a single dude. Given that even after being drugged and tied up, Samantha fucks them up and kills most of them, they probably had the right plan.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hemlock Grove is without any hyperbole or exaggeration one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

weekly font posted:

Hemlock Grove is without any hyperbole or exaggeration one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life.

Stupid-rear end birds!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

LloydDobler posted:

I'm watching The Fall right now based on the recommendations in this thread, and remembering that I really love Gillian Anderson. She's a great actress when given the right role, I remember seeing her on Letterman or Conan years ago and coming off like a complete ditz, which makes her performances as really strong and bright female leads all that much more impressive.
Another recommendation for The Fall. It's a great show, and it made me remember why I loved the X-Files: because of Gillian Anderson. She's a really, really good actress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LloydDobler posted:

Since we're recommending things: My favorite sitcom on Netflix right now is Raising Hope. It's by the same team that did My Name is Earl, so it's got that "quirky white trash reveling in being white trash" vibe to it, but since I'm pretty much white trash I love the show. Garrett Dillahunt loving kills it in a rare non-villian role, and Cloris Leachman steals scenes that she's not even in. It's worth it for those two alone, but everyone else is top notch as well. The first season has a lot of My Name is Earl callbacks and in-jokes, if you liked that show you will love Raising Hope.

Seconded so hard, it's a show that surprised the Hell out of me (and lots of TVIV posters IIRC), one of the best recent comedies on network. I'd say it's even better than some seasons of My Name Is Earl.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Forgot that Raising Hope was on there. Yeah, it's a really fun show- Garret Dillahunt is especially great, and you've also got the recurring appearances by Kate Micucci.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Absolutely love Raising Hope. Probably my favorite sitcom ever. The last episode in season one has a ton of heart and I loved it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Dillahunt and Plimpton are both phenoms on the program, and the world building really exploded last season. I'm less than stoked that Garcia isn't involved with the upcoming season but I'm thinking it a tough feat to derail the train he got blazing along the rails.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Tennis Ball posted:

You're absolutely right. That show literally made me nauseous.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If Netflix is using some kind of ultra targeted strategy in creating these shows, I'm a little less confident of their ultimate success getting one or more monster hit shows than if their primary approach was simply hiring quality directors, cast and writers and letting them go with their vision.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Zwabu posted:

If Netflix is using some kind of ultra targeted strategy in creating these shows, I'm a little less confident of their ultimate success getting one or more monster hit shows than if their primary approach was simply hiring quality directors, cast and writers and letting them go with their vision.

People who actively search for original shows in a 100% online format is a relatively new demographic. It might take them a bit to get it figured out.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Just wanted to add to Jarhead/FMJ/war movie chat: I was at the same unit as in Jarhead (Golf 2/7 gunfighters :whatup:). The movie came out while I was in Fallujah, but I did read the book it was based on while I was there and saw it when I came back. It was eerie how realistic it is about modern warfare, and is easily one of the best war movies ever. The bullshit busywork, 'wasted' training, horrible spouses, etc., it's all true. Watch/read Generation Kill if HBO Go carries it, the message is identical.

I think they only ran it for a week or so at the on-base theater; I believe they were expecting a gung-ho propaganda movie, but got basically a PSA about how mentally and emotionally exhausting it is. Relatedly, they only ever show the first half of FMJ during boot camp training. It's disturbing that people think war is exactly like the way video games present it.

VVV well you see he's a pussy and couldn't hack it, and the Corps is better off without him :rolleyes: It's supposed to be motivational when viewed through a certain lens.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 14, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

red19fire posted:

Relatedly, they only ever show the first half of FMJ during boot camp training.

:stare: Why would they even show that much? Did they miss the part where a drill instructor drives a kid to commit murder-suicide due to relentless bullying?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

Rushmore is arguably Wes Anderson's best movie, it's nearly perfect in my book.

Freaked is also awesome.

A few pages back, but I think you're misreading me there - it's my favorite of Wes Anderson's, and as awesome as Freaked is I can't say it's by far better than Rushmore (unlike the rest of that list).

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Who the hell thought a minute and a half intro sequence was a wise idea? Other than that Orange is the New Black is pretty alright.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

echronorian posted:

Who the hell thought a minute and a half intro sequence was a wise idea? Other than that Orange is the New Black is pretty alright.
Hate to break it to ya, but one of the best TV intros ever is 1:42:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well ya but that song is epic and not Regina Spector flatly vomiting on a microphone.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

GonSmithe posted:

Hate to break it to ya, but one of the best TV intros ever is 1:42:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

That poo poo is boring as hell and I really don't get what people find interesting about it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

echronorian posted:

But my animes have a minute and a half intro! :qq:

Sorry, that's the only answer I could think about and relate to the theme.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If there's one thing that The Greatest Event In Television History has taught me, it's that every show should have minute+ intros.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Really quality, engrossing intros can be very short and to the point. Like this one.

Incidentally, that's a show that ought to be on Netflix too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

prussian advisor posted:

Really quality, engrossing intros can be very short and to the point. Like this one.

Incidentally, that's a show that ought to be on Netflix too.

Here's a more well known example.
Even if you never watched the show you know the theme.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Here's a more well known example.
Even if you never watched the show you know the theme.

Thinking of the X Files is it worth watching? Seems like a show that would interest me and it's pretty long. Is it a pretty consistent show?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Personperson14 posted:

Thinking of the X Files is it worth watching? Seems like a show that would interest me and it's pretty long. Is it a pretty consistent show?

I don't know about 'consistent' but the quality rarely dips very far in the first six seasons. Definitely give it a go.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is clearly the best under a minute opening (also on Netflix)

That Rubicon one was god damned incredible though. I've never even heard of that show. Does it come even close to living up to that opening?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

axleblaze posted:

This is clearly the best under a minute opening (also on Netflix)

That Rubicon one was god damned incredible though. I've never even heard of that show. Does it come even close to living up to that opening?

Rubicon is phenomenal. It's a travesty that it died for The Killing.

Also the worst opening credits still goes to Homeland. Awful, awful, awful.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is my favorite intro of all time. I love the tarot cards theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

User-Friendly posted:

Rubicon is phenomenal. It's a travesty that it died for The Killing.

Also the worst opening credits still goes to Homeland. Awful, awful, awful.

Everything about this post is very true. Rubicon was so great that even when it was cancelled the endings was still great. It's almost better that its done just because they ended it so well!

And Homeland's openning is really, really bad. I don't even know what they were thinking.

• Locked thread