Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I was talking with some people on reddit about transitioning and I was in a women's public restroom, shaving my legs and they were only half-shaved, and a woman walked in and I started pissing myself. And some people suggested I not do that. Um, excuse me, but where am I meant to shave in public if not a bathroom stall? And for your information I was holding it so that I could gather enough fluid to make an authentic female pissing noise, as I find that unless I'm really desperate the sound is distinct from those of cis women. I was asking for advice, not for someone to poo poo all over my womanhood when in reality you're obviously not as committed to pissing as I am anyway. So I decided to post here instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazarett
Jul 9, 2013
I really like GWS and it was blocked all the time and so i gave in and bought an account so that will never happen again. I also really love the political threads because American politics amuse me to no end.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
I joined because I love reading Let's Plays and because I got a lot of info abut videogames (I was lurking since 2011). I don't have a credit card number, so I paid my brother to help me. Also got archives in order to read older LPs (I know there's the LP Archive, but sometimes the rest of the posts are part of the LP magic to me)

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I thought the Amazon Mechanical Turk thread was cool and I wanted to post in it, so I registered.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
I joined cause I've been lurking for a while and have been lurking all morning. Stuck in a supply room nearing complete insanity I thought ''you know a subscription to SA just might help me thru the day.'' An hour in and I have no regrets. Oh the limitless possibilities that await. Now all I have to do is figure out how to explain a purchase from a website called Something Awful on my bank statement to my wife. Whew! Glad that first post is out the way.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I started lurking around the time when the ancephaletic zombie baby drama was going down. That was a long time ago. I was a kid and didn't want to pay money for an Internet forum until I was in college

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Impulse buy. Visited something awful for for the first time in almost 6 years and bought an account. Still mostly spend my time lurking and sifting through megathreads. I take my time to shitpost.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I've always been a fan of let's plays ever since they first started to appear on Youtube; I don't know exactly when they started to appear to nor do I remember, it just sort of happened. Watching one or two videos of a let's play has been a part of my almost daily routine now - I tend to do it while eating. I had stumbled across some post in another forum telling about how the whole Let's Play was, essentially, started on the SomethingAwful forums. I didn't think to check out how the forums would be, because it was something only mentioned in passing, but a few days after this one of my friends happened to mention them. I asked what she was here for, and as ashamed as I am to admit it now, it turned out to be Dangan Ronpa. I don't care much for watching anime anymore, yet I obliged with at least reading the OP of what Dangan Ronpa was about since it was linked to me. And since I was already on the SomethingAwful forums, I might as well stay for a while and lurk, right? I started to do it for a few hours at a time, eventually ending up reading most of what was 10 or so most recent pages of the Leper's Colony. The, "STOP. You need a forums account to view this" on a pink background really started to drive me insane for a bit, as did a few other things for non-members, so I caved and bought an account. I didn't even need to know what FYAD was, anyways.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
A friend of mine was talking about a thread in here and showed it to me(can't remember which one now). I went to take a look a few days later and saw that things were blocked/filtered because I wasn't registered fixed that. Started hanging out with the bachelor goons which led me to Goontube and now I'm the sad pathetic neckbeard I always dreamed of being. :wotwot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't even know SA had forums until a girl I was dating mentioned them and bought my account. We broke up a long time ago but we're still friends. Pretty exciting stuff.

tomf
Jul 12, 2013
I heard about SA for over a decade ago (Jeffk-stuff), but by random chance decided to invite myself to the party just now. Been practically glued to the screen since reading threads about everything.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
I had been reading the forums for ages, but my reason for joining was to find people to play online games that didn't suck rear end.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
I read these forums on and off for the past couple of years. Then I was sick of not being able to read threads when the paywall went up so I caved and bought an account. I've been overthinking every post I make ever since.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I love fountain pens, rasslin', and playing the banjo. I like having a place to discuss and learn about all those things without having to deal much with trolls and immature 14 years out on summer break. Also, one of my co-workers is a fellow Goon.

woppy71
Sep 10, 2013

by Ralp
I joined because of the Goon culture in general and being part of what others on the outside look at with disdain.... hell, i'm over 40 and looking for a mid-life crisis so what better place to be to act out a bit :cheeky: Love playing EvE online, and maybe that's another reason why I joined, but I don't expect to be let in to Goonwaffe just because I've hung around here for a while. Been part of and posted in various other forums, but SA is the first that hasn't been a poo poo heap, in fact, its a right old laugh, together with loads of interesting poo poo as well. Rock on SA!!!

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I was getting ready to have back surgery and was looking forward to several weeks of recovery. I needed something else to do in between looking for a new job and physical therapy appointments.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I came for the lets plays and lurked lp for about a year unregistered. The thing that actually got me to register was the 0.7 dungeon crawl stone soup thread which was were I made my first post and I got my first probation. :downs:
I stay mostly for games, gws, and some of the megathreads in D&D and GBS.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I hardly post at all. I mostly became a goon to read these forums without having to deal with all the advertisements. On rare occasions (like this one I guess) I'll post, but I'd say about 95% of my account use is reading these threads. There's really a lot of interesting information on here.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013
Because this site contains (in my opinion) one of the very few decent WH40K threads

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Siselmo posted:

I joined because I love reading Let's Plays and because I got a lot of info abut videogames (I was lurking since 2011). I don't have a credit card number, so I paid my brother to help me. Also got archives in order to read older LPs (I know there's the LP Archive, but sometimes the rest of the posts are part of the LP magic to me)
This is pretty close to the reason I joined. You joined fairly recently so let me tell you, you really want to explore the various other forums. Visiting SA for LPs was nice but it became infinitely more rewarding when I started entering other discussions.

I got into youtube LPs a couple years ago, which lead me to Retsupurae, which lead me to SA. I think I just lurked as an unregistered user for about 6 months before I coughed up for an account. Hung around the games and LP forums for awhile before branching out into DnD, GBS and occasionally venturing into other sub forums. Nowadays I do most of my surfing by phone app while at work or in class.
As someone who spent a fair bit of time on forums other than SA before coming here I can safely say this place is of far far better quality than any I visited before now. Best :20bux: I ever spent.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 18, 2013

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
The website has a lot of good resources for generally anything, so why not join.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

Because this site contains (in my opinion) one of the very few decent WH40K threads
There's no such thing as a good 40k thread. We're just the least terrible.

Ienjoythesun
Oct 10, 2012

by garbage day
Because I am retarded.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Okay, I'm going to be the one to say it. I don't want to get probated for this, but I'm going to say it.
I got introduced to SA because of Dangan Ronpa. *Cue :fuckoff:* Don't get me wrong, I quickly realized how this site was much more than that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back in 99/2000 there wasn't that many good forums to choose from, SA was pretty small compared to some other sites but I liked the format/colors of the forum and they were pretty permissive in what you could post... whereas most other forums were so heavily moderated by power tripping nerds that there was rarely any content and the first hint of a flame war would result in thread being locked. Early on I was mostly drawn by the :420: emoticon and a few other forum invasions that my 16 year old self thought was hilarious. I think I stayed around for the :filez: and gaming community which had similar tastes in games to me.

Oh and the front page was pretty good sometimes. These were the days (way, way) before any of the link listing sites like reddit/digg/tumblr now so you really had to seek out funny pictures and generally SA had some funny poo poo.

soy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 21, 2013

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

jabro posted:

I did it for the chicks.

This.
Mission successful.
Twice.
:smug:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Started lurking back in 2007-2008 or so. Joined a year ago because I feared that the forum would be locked during the president election.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

CarForumPoster posted:

This.
Mission successful.
Twice.
:smug:

I did it for the dudes. And married one. :heysexy:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've always been a goon.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I was reading the cat pics thread in PYF and the paywall went up.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

legendsuper posted:

Okay, I'm going to be the one to say it. I don't want to get probated for this, but I'm going to say it.
I got introduced to SA because of Dangan Ronpa. *Cue :fuckoff:* Don't get me wrong, I quickly realized how this site was much more than that.
It's all good man, we had loads of people join because of that. Most of the lovely ones got banned or mocked into submission, others only got an account to lurk and still others turned into decent posters. So long as you realize not everyone wants to talk about DR and you don't... I don't know, post creepy fanfic or something you'll fit in fine.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
My brother loved browsing SA and he passed away a couple months ago. Since he's been gone I've been lurking and just recently made an account. Being here reminds me of all the times I would come up behind him and talk to him when he was lurking.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

Two reasons: theswami and bigpeeler (RIP.)

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
I followed Lowtax on PlanetQuake and his (band's?) site ArcCentral, before SA existed. Then, SA existed, I lurked for about a year and then got an account on the forums.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I used to read Seanbaby, Fark, and Portal of Evil back in high school, and gravitated toward SA from there. For quite some time I just read Comedy Goldmine—Tales from the Zoo was what hooked me, and I remember The Assboat being the most recent article around the time I started reading SA. Later it was PPPowerbook that specifically got me to start lurking the forums, which is kind of odd in retrospect as it wasn't that funny.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rollersnake posted:

I used to read Seanbaby, Fark, and Portal of Evil back in high school, and gravitated toward SA from there. For quite some time I just read Comedy Goldmine—Tales from the Zoo was what hooked me, and I remember The Assboat being the most recent article around the time I started reading SA. Later it was PPPowerbook that specifically got me to start lurking the forums, which is kind of odd in retrospect as it wasn't that funny.

PPPowerbook was brilliant :colbert:
I used to keep up with Photoshop Phriday every week in high school. It was just about my favorite thing. I didn't sink my :10bux: until like almost my fourth year of college, though, because I am terrible. I came here for Let's Play, and I stayed here for General Bullshit.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To argue about computer games.

the mattness
Oct 11, 2005
Why does it hurt when I pee?
I remember joining around the time this happened and nearly pissed my pants laughing, but remember the p-p-powerbook fiasco and started reading forums posts and a bit of the front page around the time Jeff K was posting. Lurked for a year or two before hopping on because REGDATE GET.

I remember loving the photoshop contests quality compared to Fark's, and the fact that the forums were the ONLY place on the internet any civilized discussion could be had. Plus if i'm interested in learning to play poker, fixing a car, starting a website, writing erotic slash fiction or just plain old shitposting, there's a place for everyone (apart from bronies) here.

I'm in my mid twenties, so this was all when I was in school, which was pretty inappropriate. Never post.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Because in terms of money/time this place is probably been something like $0.01/hr for me. And the best part is the money component is fixed! This place is getting more cost efficient the longer I spend reading it! Not sure about you guys but that excites me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethnic Hairstyles
May 23, 2009

I needed to find out if niggers had x-ray vision.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread