Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Is there really anything else like Donald Byrd's "A New Perspective" album? I am in love with the jazz+choir combo going on there and have probably listened to the album like a million times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Devoyniche posted:

Is there really anything else like Donald Byrd's "A New Perspective" album? I am in love with the jazz+choir combo going on there and have probably listened to the album like a million times.

Here are a few off the beaten path European choral jazz albums to check out. Getting a copy might be difficult, but they're on Spotify:

Heikki Sarmanto - New Hope Jazz Mass (1978)
http://open.spotify.com/album/23A5xH19Ha6JlSbnoSVCZy

Commissioned from Finnish composer/pianist Heikki Sarmanto for the opening of Saint Peter's Lutheran Church in New York. Features Heikki Sarmanto Ensemble with some of the top guys from Finland at the time with vocals from soprano Maija Hapuoja, Gregg Smith Vocal Quartet and Long Island Symphonic Choral Association.

Novi Singers - Torpedo (1970)
http://open.spotify.com/album/2xSvywyOvb0Kabgq9f9paP

A polish vocal group founded in 1964. Here backed by some of the hipper polish musicians of the time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DirtyDirt posted:

I am interested in what I guess you would call 70s soul or funk jazz, particularly Donald Byrd and some of the CTI records, like Milt Jackson's Sunflower, Idris Muhammed's Power of Soul (a personal favorite), Street Lady, the Crusaders, and I am just getting into Hubert Laws. Any recommendations in that genre? The funkier or groovier the better.

There's a Kenny Barron record called Peruvian Blue that I think is in print and hits the spot.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I've really been digging this lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwOipTXvNNo

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Stark Fist posted:

What's the Northwest jazz scene like? I hear that it's fairly active but I haven't heard of any real hard hitting people that are out there.

The Dead Kenny G's rock the place, jazzwise. It's Skerik's best effort to date imo, like Critter's Buggin with an actual goal in mind. They're incredible live.

The Blue Cranes are a solid modern outfit.

Esperanza Spalding is a magical wonder-lady, and I would have her babies.

Les'see.. Damien Erskine is a badass. I.. honestly, I've been losing touch with the jazz mavens in the past few years. But, yeah, it's a healthy scene.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I always forget that Esperanza grew up in Portland. Yeah, she's ridiculously awesome.

Genchan
May 15, 2010
Howdy everyone,

First off I have to comment on how awesome it is to be on a jazz forum that is mainly talking about Fussion. Its a rare thing for me find such a forum and its a good part of music history to discuss because, while some of it is wild and unlike anything else, a lot of it lacks the same punch.

I've been listening to jazz all my life, and I know enough about past artists, jazz culture, songs and different styles to fill one em' fat books. I'm unfortunately lost when it comes to more contemporary artists. Can anyone recommend those who are playing right now who I maybe able to see live someday? I like all and almost any music.
Also I live in California and I'm wondering what city has the best jazz clubs in this state.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Genchan posted:

Howdy everyone,

First off I have to comment on how awesome it is to be on a jazz forum that is mainly talking about Fussion. Its a rare thing for me find such a forum and its a good part of music history to discuss because, while some of it is wild and unlike anything else, a lot of it lacks the same punch.

I've been listening to jazz all my life, and I know enough about past artists, jazz culture, songs and different styles to fill one em' fat books. I'm unfortunately lost when it comes to more contemporary artists. Can anyone recommend those who are playing right now who I maybe able to see live someday? I like all and almost any music.
Also I live in California and I'm wondering what city has the best jazz clubs in this state.

My general recommendations are:

Gretchen Parlato
Esperanza Spalding
Taylor Eigsti

They play a lot of jazz festivals and more than a few are in California.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I finally listened to the two badbadnotgood albums. They're doing some really fresh stuff with jazz and hip hop. I'm incredibly jealous of them and I'm really siked to see what they do next.

Jazz at Lincoln Center goes to northern CA sometimes if you want to catch Wynton. Yoshi's in Oakland is kind of the gold standard for Bay Area jazz clubs.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I finally listened to the two badbadnotgood albums. They're doing some really fresh stuff with jazz and hip hop. I'm incredibly jealous of them and I'm really siked to see what they do next.

Jazz at Lincoln Center goes to northern CA sometimes if you want to catch Wynton. Yoshi's in Oakland is kind of the gold standard for Bay Area jazz clubs.

BADBADBNOTGOOD is tremendously awesome. I'm excited to see what they do next.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Hey Jazz Thread.

I wandered into and started cultivating an interest and taste for jazz after falling in love with Indian Classical Music and reading a book by Peter Lavezolli (who also wrote a book on the history of jazz, which I really need to read since his Dawn of Indian Classical Music in the West was so good) on the various cross-fertilizations between Western and Indian music. And so naturally, my starting off point for exploring jazz was John Coltrane, modal jazz and A Love Supreme, which I loved instantly. From there I listened to Meditations, which is like a headier, more raga-esque exploration of jazz he put out right after A Love Supreme.

Other than that and his collabo with Don Cherry, I hadn't really explored Coltrane as deeply as I'd liked until I stumbled on this thread a month or so back, and since then I've been bitten by the jazz bug bad. I've been retracing Coltrane's steps, trying to figure out when, to what degree & extent modal jazz was developing, and when Coltrane started feeling a strong influence from Indian music. At first I thought Alice Coltrane might have been a big factor, but now I think if anything she only accelerated and encouraging something that was already going on with John on his own. From what homework I've done, they connected in '62, but by the end of '61 India was evidently on his map. In the Vanguard recordings from late '61 you see him riffing around with his composition titled "India", complete with a tanpura being strummed (out of tune, to my ear, and like a guitar) in the background. Not having a chance to look back over Lavezzoli's book or find a good biography until October, I'm kind of theorizing on my own based off some googling and listening to the albums.

My theory is that Coltrane hit on the modal sounds of India before Davis did, though they both ended up exploring it at some point. Seems to me that this circle was interested in the way different countries and people were using different modes in their regional and folk musics. The interest at first seems to have been around flamenco, Spanish music, Polish folk and other european modal sounds. But while Davis was sticking to European modes and working on Sketches of Spain ('60), at the same time, Coltrane is looking much further abroad, covering flamenco modes on his Ole, but also exploring other nationalities in Africa/Brass. Perhaps spurred on by his deepening spiritual interests, Coltrane looks even further east to India's music, culminating in the explicit nod to Indian modes and improvisation on the Vanguard Recording's "India". The opening chords and long notes emulating the Indian drone, periodically reappearing and anchoring Coltrane inbetween his melodic flights.

Anyways, while looking into this I've fallen in love with the complete Vanguard Recordings. Spiritual is just awesome, one of the variants (maybe the first one that appears) has this incredible bass soloing that takes it out. Their rendition of Softly as a Morning Sunrise is also great. Its less heavier on the modal stuff and rather a jazz standard, and McCoy Tyner on the keys shines in this track. I really love it.

And so I was trying to find a youtube version of it to share with some buddies and not having any luck when I stumbled on a japanese contemporary jazz pianist, Hiromi Uehara. They have a more fusion-esque version of Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise with some splashes of atonality that is really nice and wowed me with Hiromi's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnjFOXhPwTg

This is from her quartet Hiromi's Sonic Bloom, which also features an impressive guitarist named David Fiuczynski. The other stuff of theirs I've listened to leans in heavier with the fusion and funk, but its pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyujJ7QctI

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just started checking out the Mushroom Jazz electro jazz compilations. This Beat, by the Jazzual Suspects is pretty drat good.

This was always a favorite of mine. I figured out recently that the verbal sample is Jack Kerouac (which I'd always suspected and was thrilled to find the source of) reading some of his stuff from an LP Kerouac put out "Readings on the Beat Generation". The added music is also a sort of homage to another album he put out with pianist Steve Allen titled Poetry for the Beat Generation. On this album you hear Kerouac reading his stuff backed by some jazz piano. He had another one titled Blues and Haikus that has a track called American Haikus, with Kerouacs short poems interspersed with improvised sax riffs which is really great.

From Poetry for the Beat Generation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YhveH2yuuI

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That's crazy that you posted this today, since I came across this album today as well and was completely blown away that it was recorded in 1956.

Sun Ra, Super-sonic Jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0OC-XRnu8

The first track happens to be called "India" and I can't speak to how deeply it draws from Indian classical music, but it does have interesting percussion going on and seems to be more or less a long vamp on the same chord. Interested to know what you think about it.

Opion
Oct 24, 2012
So i've been a big fan of Joe Pass ever since I heard his playing, something about how calm and serene he sounds makes me feel all sorts of lethargic. Can any goons point me in the direction of other similar, solo-Jazz guitarists in the same vein?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Check out Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue and Blue Lights are two must-listen classics. Grant Green would also be up your alley so check out Street of Dreams. Pat Metheny might be a bit far out if you aren't familiar with jazz but he put out a very chill album called One Quiet Night.

edit: Totally missed the solo guitar bit. The Pat Metheny album would be your go to, then! Bela Fleck has some great solo stuff that drifts all over the map but will have a bit of what you are looking for (though he's on banjo). I'd also recommend Davy Graham for solo guitar when you are feeling a bit more uptempo. He tended to blend jazz with middle eastern modal styles (and a lot of folk) back when Coltrane was just thinking about it!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 26, 2013

Opion
Oct 24, 2012
Loving Kenny Burrell so far! Kinda exactly what I was hoping somebody would post, though solo guitar was my main intention. Thanks a bunch, will be checking out all the others too!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The first track happens to be called "India" and I can't speak to how deeply it draws from Indian classical music, but it does have interesting percussion going on and seems to be more or less a long vamp on the same chord. Interested to know what you think about it.

After a few listens my instinct is not too much. I disagree a little on the percussion but that's probably just personal taste. The cymbal crashes were getting to me and everything else seems drowned out. The melody also seemed a little flat too, it felt like they were sticking to a pentatonic scale on top of those handful of chords. The melody, percussions and chords added up to what felt like a melange of middle eastern percussion with vaguely asian sounding music like you hear sometimes from riffing on a pentatonic scale. It just felt a little plodding to me, and I would have liked to listen to the melody a little more but it felt crowded out by the cymbals and drums.

I liked the second track though, it felt a little more jazzy and comfortable with itself. Going back to listen to the rest.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Shows how much I know about Indian music. I'm still apparently fooled by 1950s stereotypes. :)

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Been doing some more listening and research on my Coltrane modal jazz musings. Found some other non music listening material, one was an episode of American Routes called The Giants of Jazz, with an hour on Thelonious Monk and an hour on Coltrane, both trying to capture the span of careers. The other was a podcast I found on iTunes, Jazz Insights with Gordon Vernick. It has short episodes coverings variety of jazz topics, and had a short episode on Coltrane. Vernick talked about how Naima was one of his first compositions which exhibited a modal style. That the whole song the bass uses Db as a pedal point to anchor the melody. Well C# is a frequently used tonic in Indian modal music, and so essentially in Naima the bass is creating the drone. So maybe that connection is showing up very early in his compositional career on Giant Steps, as he was coming off his hard bop phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ii-VqrmZ0

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It really is something being involved in Kind of Blue and Giant Steps in the space of weeks. Crazy times.

Speaking of Giant Steps, this is one of my favorite Coltrane re-readings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_cvLBRxgx0

edit: and further speaking of Giant Steps, Coltrane's Giant Steps-ing of But Not For Me is still crazy. And amazing. But it has to be said that I like it because it's link to the original is so tenuous. And I like the original too, so that's saying something.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 29, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Hiromi, I'm a big fan of the album Brain. It is a really cool blend of styles that has a little something for everyone (except the smooth jazz people(lmao)). My favorite track off it has to be Desert on the Moon. Chick's got his fingerprints all over that one. I can't find it anywhere on youtube so here's a vimeo link:

http://vimeo.com/41606034

Speaking of Chick - looking for another album to check out this weekend? Take the drug of your choice and listen to An Evening With Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea. I'm a huge fan of solo piano but even if you aren't it would be a shame to miss this one. You'll be able to close your eyes and listen to two people telling stories through their playing. While we are here, might as well check out their kickass duo of "Someday My Prince Will Come" back in 74':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ovAQNNmWQ

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 1, 2013

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Can anyone ID the piano version of Flamenco Sketches in this video at 18:00? It's beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqMA4YRQCk&t=1080s

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Janelle Monae is working with Esperanza Spalding on a beautiful jazz track for her new album called "Dorothy Dandridge Eyes." Here's a snippet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqWxohWpXM

I can't wait to hear it with Spalding's voice, too. Both of them can sing jazz like it was tangible, like you could reach out and touch it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DirtyDirt posted:

I am interested in what I guess you would call 70s soul or funk jazz, particularly Donald Byrd and some of the CTI records, like Milt Jackson's Sunflower, Idris Muhammed's Power of Soul (a personal favorite), Street Lady, the Crusaders, and I am just getting into Hubert Laws. Any recommendations in that genre? The funkier or groovier the better.

This is old but I came across it in my itunes and it's too strange and too funky not to post. Cannonball is one of my favorite musicians but I have no idea what he was thinking with this. Music to bone down to I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRO93T8T0k

Possibly :nws: album cover.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I would've liked that album a lot better if there were less narration. Also, I have the original version and "Taurus" is 14 minutes long on it.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.
I've listened to this a few times before, totally engrossed in the sound, but giggling at the narration. Maybe in the right mood its less campy and more...sexy?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think you're right, but the music and spoken word combine to be a really outdated novelty of the sexual revolution. I mean, I'm down with it, but I also feel like it would be a really good track/album as instrumental.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Devoyniche posted:

Late quote, and it's not exactly the same, but try Archie Shepp's Attica Blues and The Cry Of My People. They're both pretty amazing albums with extremely powerful vocals on top of a fairly large jazz ensemble written all by a guy who used to do pretty heavy avant-garde work; basically, it doesn't get schmaltzy.

DirtyDirt posted:

Grant Green's live album Alive!. It's got Idris Muhammed on drums and he makes the album. I love the pants off of it. These kind of albums unfortunately got commercial fast, but anything pre-'74 is amazing. Got nothing to add from the people already posting, other than make sure you also have Donald Byrd's Ethiopian Knights, those first three bass notes let you know you're in for a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuIpl_0fyg

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Devoyniche posted:

Here's another one on this topic:

Max Roach - It's Time - Max Roach's sextet with a choir. I especially like the big drum sound Roach has here.
It's on Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/7aLORVJgrIJypmIDCiYfyw
Title track on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUgEbaz64A

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I need to put together a Latin Jazz care pack for yall. That poo poo is woefully absent.

Want me to break it up into Cuban and Brazilian traditions or keep it under one umbrella?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Break it up for sure. Pancho Sanchez directed the music department where my good friend studied percussion and he is fantastic. If anyone here hasn't listened to the Havana Jam from back in 79' take some time to do so. It may have been attended by mostly high level personnel from the communist party but you sure as hell can't tell. They are digging the amazing performances so much that it sounds like any other crowd going wild.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I've always admired jazz from a distance but never really found a good way into it. That said, I've been hugely digging this album lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cE3fgdFZ8Y

Any recommendations along these lines?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not as cyclical in progression but if you are looking for some rhythmy fun check out "The Melody of Rhythm" from Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain and Edgar Meyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3-PZvA_Jjs

bonus not related to anything in particular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59ELEVYXRs

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Anyone into contemporary soul jazz? Just started checking out Jaspects. Really love this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNQFx9oLUCg

Any other suggestions for jazz like this?

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
Sit up and listen closely. In the whole history of American music there has been no one like the black Chopin, bronze Liberace, the bayou maharajah, little booker, piano prince of new orleans James Carroll Booker III:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpswBiIxNjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDJB_wbElc

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

Sit up and listen closely. In the whole history of American music there has been no one like the black Chopin, bronze Liberace, the bayou maharajah, little booker, piano prince of new orleans James Carroll Booker III:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpswBiIxNjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDJB_wbElc

Solo piano you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INlPqwl473I

I just looked your boy up and looks like a doc just came out this year. I'm gonna try to find it because he looks like a pretty interesting guy.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

crossposting this from the recommendations thread. i'm on the verge of joining a jazz forum to have this filled but i'm lazy and i have faith in you SA: i want stuff that sounds like ahmad jamal's outertimeinnerspace. the songs have an almost psychedelic quality that is missing from most of the jazz i know, but really i dont know anything 70s jazz and beyond.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So in the spirit of being adventurous people should check out Lemongrass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDSNnV5kpco

They're a mixture of Ambient, Electronic, and Jazz. This poo poo is really good and a ton of their discography is on Spotify so go check it out.

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

farmtrill posted:

crossposting this from the recommendations thread. i'm on the verge of joining a jazz forum to have this filled but i'm lazy and i have faith in you SA: i want stuff that sounds like ahmad jamal's outertimeinnerspace. the songs have an almost psychedelic quality that is missing from most of the jazz i know, but really i dont know anything 70s jazz and beyond.

Here are a couple of nice early 70's pianist-driven albums that hopefully hit the same notes:
McCoy Tyner: Extensions
McCoy Tyner: Sahara
Joe Bonner: Angel Eyes
Stanley Cowell Trio: Illusion Suite

And you probably know this, but Ahmad Jamal's Freeflight has the rest of the same concert Outertimeinnerspace was recorded at.

Impulse! put out a lot of great stuff in the early 70's so you can find a lot of nice stuff from that period just poking around their discography.

Knofle
Oct 20, 2013

Casual incarnate

Yiggy posted:

...when I stumbled on a japanese contemporary jazz pianist, Hiromi Uehara...

Here's another great performance at that same Sonic Bloom concert (I believe). In my opinion, the piece is incredibly emotional, and it reinforces my beliefs about how Hiromi never plays a note that feels out of place.

I don't know how much i enjoy the guitar shenanigans at the very end, but each to their own, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I've been getting into Sidney Bechet and Benny Goodman lately. And suggestions as far as albums I should check out?

• Locked thread