Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

There's no rule that says you have to buy more lenses. Personally, being used to DSLRs, I despise the tiny, dark, information-less viewfinders on the Canon G series, and would rather just view the lcd screen. The NEX-6 has a fantastic electronic viewfinder, and as you'll see from this picture, actually a bit smaller and lighter (NEX-6 weighs 471 grams with the kit lens, vs. 534 grams for G1X) despite the full APS-C sensor.

The only disadvantage is that the NEX-6 kit lens is not quite as good optically as the built-in lens on the G1X, but it's fairly negligible. And the NEX-6 has room to grow if you decide you want the best optics possible, unlike the G1X. But if you actually like the viewfinders on the Canon G series, then the G1X is probably a good choice for you. Although you might want to try out a NEX-6 and see what you're missing.

Size comparison:

Hmm now I'm kinda back peddling with this whole big sensor thing. If I need a big sensor I'll just bring my slr and a small lens. I think it's between the rx100 and the x20.

Huxley posted:

My used S90 should arrive today or tomorrow. I'm super excited.

We decided we should probably have pictures of our children that weren't taken on iPhones, but I have basically no idea how to make good things happen. About to backwards delve into the thread and hope to learn something!

Take Spime's advice, but even if you don't learn photography, the camera is pretty smart when it comes to making a good exposure. My non photographer girlfriend has one and she can tell the difference between it and cheaper cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Take Spime's advice, but even if you don't learn photography, the camera is pretty smart when it comes to making a good exposure. My non photographer girlfriend has one and she can tell the difference between it and cheaper cameras.

I actually picked up Understanding Exposure from the library on my way home that night. I've made the camera do a lot of nice things and I'm devouring anything I can on lighting, toning, composition, etc. I got a half dozen of what I consider really nice shots this weekend (and about 300 awful-to-middling ones).

Of course, all it did was make me start researching DSLRs. You get a little bit of control over things, and all of a sudden all you can think about is how much more control you COULD have.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even if you do get a DSLR the S90 is a great place to start since you'll still want something pocketable.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

And besides, the S90 gives you just as much control as a DSLR. After Understanding Exposure and maybe an introductory book on composition (The Photographer's Eye is pretty cool) I'd just take pictures and not worry about the camera or read reviews or specs for a few months or a year. If you learn to work with RAW and keep taking pictures of things you care about I guarantee you won't regret waiting to move to a bigger, heavier, and more expensive system. Take your family somewhere beautiful for the weekend instead :)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spime Wrangler posted:

And besides, the S90 gives you just as much control as a DSLR. After Understanding Exposure and maybe an introductory book on composition (The Photographer's Eye is pretty cool) I'd just take pictures and not worry about the camera or read reviews or specs for a few months or a year. If you learn to work with RAW and keep taking pictures of things you care about I guarantee you won't regret waiting to move to a bigger, heavier, and more expensive system. Take your family somewhere beautiful for the weekend instead :)

But what about shallow depth of field!

That is highly reasonable advice, of course. Thanks for the book recommendations. I know I should get more than a weekend into my "actually learning things" phase of photography before spending more money, it's just so tempting because new toys etc etc.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Starting with the S90 is a smart idea. I didn't really take up serious photography until 2007 when I could afford a DSLR. I figured that I needed a DSLR if I wanted to get into photography, which I now know is baloney. Looking back, I wish I just bought an affordable manually controllable point and shoot years earlier to learn on instead of waiting until I had money for gear.

As for upgrading to a DSLR down the road, best thing to do is to wait until your S90 feels limiting to you. That way you'll know what you want in a DSLR and you'll be able to hit the ground running once you get it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I read Understanding Exposure with my S95 and learned all about manual control with it. After a while, when I felt limited by it and wanted to try more, I upgraded. Way better route than just jumping in with a dslr and shooting on auto mode.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I have always had a passing interest in photography but I think it's time to start learning more. I have gone traveling in south east Asia but stupidly didn't bring a camera. What would you recommend I get which will produce decent shots, brush up my beginner knowledge and help me move to an intermediate level?

I am most interested in moving traffic shots and city shooting, so don't need anything for big landscape panoramas or anything like that. I am in Bangkok and have had a look for the Sony rx100 and Canon s95 but can't find either anywhere. I have seen a Canon g16 which I really liked the look and feel of but according to Google it's not been released officially yet? Thailand has a lot of 'grey market' products so that's not unusual but I don't want to shell out all that cash without advice. It was £350/$525.

My budget is approx £300/$450/15,000baht but I am flexible as I get the 7% tax back and I can probably get a freebie thrown in as they love haggling here. Any suggestions?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

There is no G16 - there's a G15 and G1X - and the RX100 will probably be out of your price range. I'd keep looking for a canon S-series, which IS the camera you want. You should be able to find a S100/S110 new in the right retail shop. It sounds like Thai taxes mean you'll pay a premium to get one there, and sites are saying to expect to pay ~$400+. Seems like there's a number of spots where you should be able to get one.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Thanks for that. Got myself an s110 for £280 including tax back and haggling, which is approx $420. This isn't a good place for consumer electronics! The rx100 was extortionate so passed on that but been enjoying playing with the settings on the canon and seeing what happens. When I've got something worth showing I'll post it here first :)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for advising starting off in RAW. Fooling around yesterday we were going from inside to outside shooting and I forgot and left my WB on tungsten and took a couple of really good ones outside before I realized and swapped back over. They were bright blue, but bringing them back into PS at work this morning all I had to do was change a drop-down menu to turn them back the right balance.

And then spend a couple hours reading about post-production and fiddling with sliders and tweaking endlessly forever, of course.

I'm not sure how easy that would be to do in jpeg, but I bet not that easy.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

You can still adjust color temperature in JPEGs, but it is nowhere near as robust as your ability to do so in RAW.

chrith
Jan 7, 2009
Not exactly apples to apples here, but im noticing prices for a used x100 are dropping to around the price of a new x20. I already own an s100 and am looking to upgrade to something different just not too sure which route to go. Fixed lens or keep the zoom. Does anyone have experience with the two. Either route I'm sure image quality would be improved, just looking for some opinions.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
You will probably find a lot more x100 owners in the mirrorless thread.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Need a canon elph for my wife and I go to go on vacation to Europe. I'll have my DSLR but she will want a little thing to stick in her pocket.

Canon 110 or 130 or 320HS or or or....

I do NOT want a touch screen. What are my best options dear friends?

If it matters my SD790IS was the best point and shoot I've ever owned....

Looks like the 115 IS might be a bare bones good option?

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I have a Canon PowerShot SD950 IS that I would like to replace with something that produces photos at least as good as the ones taken on friends' smartphones. Everything I take with it comes out washed out and blurry compared to smartphone cameras, and the zoom kind of sucks. Admittedly, I am not a photographer at all so ideally the camera would provide some compensation for my lack of skills as well as satisfy me if I ever end up developing skills. The OP says the S95 or S100 are good upgrades but that was in 2011. Is this still the case?

Is this Canon PowerShot SX150 any good?

ATP5G1 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 3, 2013

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

No that's not going to be any better than the camera you already have and most likely worse, due to the long slow zoom lens that operates poorly in low light.

The canon s95, s100, s110 are still what you should be going far if you actually want a meaningful improvement over your current camera, whether you buy new or used/refurbished for your budget.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Costello Jello posted:

The canon s95, s100, s110 are still what you should be going far if you actually want a meaningful improvement over your current camera, whether you buy new or used/refurbished for your budget.

Which one? Does it matter?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

ATP5G1 posted:

Which one? Does it matter?

It doesn't really matter, they all have pretty similar image quality. The s100 and s110 are a bit better for landscape photography because they start at 24 mm wide angle, as opposed to the standard 28 mm of the s95. And the s95 records video at 720p instead of 1080p like the newer models. That's about it really.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just bought an S100 from bestbuy for $100 bucks on clearance. :negative:

It was missing the charger, but a new one on amazon is 15 bucks, so I figured why not. Worst case I can resell it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That seems like an absurdly good deal. Normally when I see clearance stuff at brick and mortar stores the most it's knocked down is something like 15%.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Best Buy isn't bad for open box stuff. Once, back when I had very little interest in photography, I bought a Canon S5, regular price $529, open box $299.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

And for the open box/display model clearance, the blue shirts sometimes have their own discretion on setting the prices. One time I was able to get a $600 receiver for $100 because it was a display model missing a box, and I told the salesman if he dropped the price another $100, I'd buy a $30 warranty from him. I actually ended up needing the warranty anyway, because one of the speaker channels went out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the official open box sticker on this camera had a price of $290, but they had a big shelf of end of lifespan cameras that were already on clearance for one way or another with just a hand written price tag on em to clear it out asap. Had some of the nicer sony's and other brands too for around 100 bucks.

I'm tempted at this point to just use the s100 as a light meter, would be nifty to have a gps tagged jpgs of the MF shots I take to have as a reference. And it's not much bigger than my light meter. Will have to see once the battery charger shows up tomorrow.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I was pointed to this thread from the Nikon thread. Forgive any dumb questions as I quite literally know next to nothing about cameras, but I'm looking for a new camera for my fiance. I noticed that Amazon has the Nikon Coolpix L820 for a very good price, but has anyone used this particular model before? She does a lot of nail polish photography, so I want to make sure this would work well specifically for that purpose.

If someone here does own one, would you mind taking a picture of something glittery in macro mode? Also, can you comment on color accuracy and how easy is it to hold in only one hand, since she'll be photographing the other one. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am interested in becoming a better photographer, as a hobby. I have an older Canon A570 IS in my possession to work with. It doesn't natively support RAW images but it looks like I can use CHDK to make it support RAW. Does anyone have any experience using CHDK or input as far as that goes? I have PS so I'll be learning a little bit of both as I go.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hughmoris posted:

I am interested in becoming a better photographer, as a hobby. I have an older Canon A570 IS in my possession to work with. It doesn't natively support RAW images but it looks like I can use CHDK to make it support RAW. Does anyone have any experience using CHDK or input as far as that goes? I have PS so I'll be learning a little bit of both as I go.

I used it on my DSLR (400D).

It is a relatively simple process. You have to follow the instructions carefully but it's pretty quick. You first set the camera to make it use firmware from a card. Then you configure a card to make it bootable. After that - all you do is load a copy of the firmware onto the card and the camera will use it. Don;t like it? Format the card and all is gone.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

While I'm quite happy with my OMD, I waned something even more compact and I got a great deal on the RX100 so I grabbed it. Have to say, it's pretty good.

Dishes & Sink by alkanphel, on Flickr

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
It's supposed to be quite lovely, but I got an email from amazon offering the Kodak EasyShare C1530 for 40 dollars, half msrp, if anyone might be interested in a throwaway p&s (or maybe something to give your kids or whatever)

http://tech.woot.com/offers/kodak-e...tm_medium=email

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This looks interesting:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m2
$100 more than the normal RX100 though...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah it's a nice evolution. It sounds like the IQ increase is worth the $100, but I've seen regular RX100s for considerably less than list price recently.

Certainly couldn't justify upgrading mine.

The mark 2 is better at low-light, but the original isn't bad.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

If I didn't have a Ricoh GR, I'd be all over that. Definitely worth an extra 100 dollars for a tilt-screen and more sensitive sensor, in my opinion.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

If I didn't have a Ricoh GR, I'd be all over that. Definitely worth an extra 100 dollars for a tilt-screen and more sensitive sensor, in my opinion.

Yeah, my S95 is getting long in the tooth and while I was considering a ILC I know I wouldn't be as happy if I couldn't cram it into my poscket.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Quick question: do Canon point and shoots suffer from the same idiotic deficiency that Fuji ones [at least used to] have where taking the batteries out to charge them causes the camera to completely forget what year it is? (also please tell me the file naming is less utterly stupid, or better yet customisable. All I want is [ISO date-time].jpg! This poo poo isn't hard Fuji! :argh:)

Less quick question: I'm looking at cheap starting-point Canons, in this kind of price range. As this level, is there much difference between 3.0 and 3.4 max aperture? Other than that they seem pretty much equivalent, save that one is huge and has a proper mode wheel.

If the application wasn't clear, I'm pretty much just looking for a stop-gap until I can justify an S100, because I want to start shooting things now; is there something particular I should be looking at for less than £100, or will either of these do?

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Outside of Canon's official refurb store and Craigslist, are there any other places to pick up an S100 for under $300? I don't mind getting a factory refurb from Canon for ~$270, but wanted to know if there were perhaps any other places to check before pulling the trigger.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cpaka posted:

Outside of Canon's official refurb store and Craigslist, are there any other places to pick up an S100 for under $300? I don't mind getting a factory refurb from Canon for ~$270, but wanted to know if there were perhaps any other places to check before pulling the trigger.

Amazon's used section normally has some for around that price, and they pop up in sa mart from time to time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005MTME3U/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1372452207&sr=8-1&keywords=s100&condition=used

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I just put a Canon G12 up for sale

Same sensor as the S95, lots of controls. Definitely not as slim as the s95/S100, but good for a coat pocket or if you don't mind walking around with a big bulge in your pants.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm looking for recommendations on a point and shoot camera. There are so many different ones to choose from and lots of review sites say lots of different things. Here is what I am after:
  • Budget up to $300
  • Lighter/smaller = better
  • Fast (time to take photo after powering on)
  • Image quality (however I am not a photographer)
  • Good battery life

So from reading the OP and the last page, it seems as though the Canon S100 is still the best in category for around this price range? It is a little bit more than I wanted to spend ($360ish in AUD), but if it is that much better than the other stuff around $300, I could probably go for it.

I see there is also a S110 now, what is the difference? This actually seems to be slightly cheaper than the s100 from what I can see, why would that be?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

The s110 is cheaper because only the smaller shops still have stock of the s100 so they have poorer prices, as its a discontinued model now. So buy the s110 if it is cheaper, it is the same camera with a few added features like GPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with Samsung cameras? I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 16.3MP 21x Optical Zoom & can't decide if it's just a great gimmick for people such as myself who are going to use it to travel [Cuba] and for concert photography. I also have been wondering WHEN the new models get released because the way this has been out of stock where I live makes me suspect that I'm at the end of a product cycle.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...c/10248840.aspx

side note - I have a Luminx I'm happy with, I think its just the huge picture screen which first caught my eye.

• Locked thread