Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Stemmler posted:

I just got a kitten on the 4th of July, he is 13 1/2 weeks old. I've had cats all my life but this is the first one I've have in my own apartment.

For the most part he has been well behaved for a kitten. The one behavior we want to try to stop is him jumping up on the tables and counters. He's not big enough to get to the counter yet but can get on the chair then to the table.

We started with foil on the tables, squirting him, and shaking a can of pennies. They all seem to work well once, annoy him the 2nd or 3rd time, then after that he ignors it. I reread the beginning of this thread and will try an air can and a little vinegar in the water next. Any other things to try.

Hey got a kitten on the 4th of July Buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I got a new kitten out of the blue from my step-mom. Wasn't exactly prepared for it, but she was kind enough to provide food and a litterbox for the little one as well so I've got the basics until my next paycheck.

I'm already in love with the little guy and decided to name her Marley, but I am a little concerned about something. She is sleeping a lot. My past experience with kittens is that they are incessant little adventurers that want to get into anything and everything all day. But Marley has slept almost the entire time since I got her. She's eating and drinking just fine, going to the bathroom regularly, but when she's not doing those things she just curls up on the bed and passes out.

Should I give a vet a call or is it possible I just lucked out with a really laid back kitten?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Stemmler posted:

I just got a kitten on the 4th of July, he is 13 1/2 weeks old. I've had cats all my life but this is the first one I've have in my own apartment.

For the most part he has been well behaved for a kitten. The one behavior we want to try to stop is him jumping up on the tables and counters. He's not big enough to get to the counter yet but can get on the chair then to the table.

Lovely little tabby you have there :3:

Give up the futile resistance and just consider the little rear end rings on your surfaces as extra immune system challenges ;)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Hi everyone. New cat owner here. I adopted an adult cat (~4 years) about a month ago, and she seems to be doing great, except for the fact that her poop has been solid exactly once (the night after bringing her home) in the last month. The vet gave me some meds, and she took some stool samples to run tests, which I haven't gotten back yet.

In the meantime, random things I've tried before with little to no success:
-Canned pumpkin
-Bene-bac
-Trying with different foods (canned, wet, switching brands, grain-free)

So.. I'm waiting for the stool results to come back.. I'm thinking it might be food intolerance or something, if the tests come back normal? Does anybody have any suggestions for a cat newbie who just wants his cat's tummy to be better? (And also so I can stop spending so much of my day cleaning the soiled litter box...)

And if it is food intolerance, how do I go about finding the right food that her tummy won't reject??.

Thanks everyone.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Stemmler posted:

We started with foil on the tables, squirting him, and shaking a can of pennies. They all seem to work well once, annoy him the 2nd or 3rd time, then after that he ignors it. I reread the beginning of this thread and will try an air can and a little vinegar in the water next. Any other things to try.

I've been doing the vacuum cleaner trick with my kitten since it's the only thing that genuinely bothers her. Leave the vacuum switched on nearby the table/counter you want to discourage him from jumping on, plug it in near where you're going to be for the next while and leave it switched off at the plug. Then switch it on at the plug when he jumps up. That way he doesn't associate the scary noise with anything but jumping up where he's not meant to be. Doesn't work quite as well as it does for stopping cats scratching on bedroom doors since you have to stay in the area with the plug, but it's still pretty good.

That said, I'd suggest giving up on most tables and counters in your house and really just focusing on the kitchen and anywhere that has stuff that the cat might actually knock down or something. Cats just really love jumping up on things and if you don't have enough things for them to jump up on then they'll jump on whatever they can find.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

An Old Boot posted:

I want to say, I appreciate the comment on this one. The vet only told me to put it in his food (which he ate twice in a row without issue), but didn't mention that part of it (and to be perfectly fair, I never mentioned that I only feed him dry food). He's been drinking plenty of water and hasn't been coughing, though, nor is he showing any side effects. Is there a time that this strategy should be implemented more than others if you're just using dry food?

It sort of depends on the medication that you're using how important it is (doxycycline is one of the most well-studied with regards to how damaging it can be to the throat). Dry food might be okay as far as getting the pill down into the stomach quickly enough which will help some though so it's probably not a huge deal in most cases. One of the biggest issues is that how well things move down the throat into the stomach is dictated at least in part by the response of the throat to the actual thing that's trying to go down. A pill itself doesn't usually do a great job of kicking off the whole chain of events that leads to efficient delivery into the stomach, but if it's while the cat is eating food it's likely going to be carried down with the dry food just fine. :)

The reason I use the water with cats a lot is because many cats won't eat very well in the hospital and that's the environment in which I do most of my cat pilling. My cats at home rarely need any kind of medications.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 10, 2013

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
A small update on the cat pilling front; we found success in the two person approach, cat burrito, squirt of water to trigger swallowing, and cat treat to calm him down afterwards. Naturally, now that we're become comfortable with the process, Escobar starts vomiting roughly an hour after being dosed. :cripes: He's been switched to a week's worth of clavamox and we're under orders that if he starts vomiting again, it's back to the vet. I wish I could whine to my friends about this whole process, but they just get confused about the concept of vetting animals beyond basic legal requirements.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Trico posted:

Hi everyone. New cat owner here. I adopted an adult cat (~4 years) about a month ago, and she seems to be doing great, except for the fact that her poop has been solid exactly once (the night after bringing her home) in the last month. The vet gave me some meds, and she took some stool samples to run tests, which I haven't gotten back yet.

In the meantime, random things I've tried before with little to no success:
-Canned pumpkin
-Bene-bac
-Trying with different foods (canned, wet, switching brands, grain-free)

So.. I'm waiting for the stool results to come back.. I'm thinking it might be food intolerance or something, if the tests come back normal? Does anybody have any suggestions for a cat newbie who just wants his cat's tummy to be better? (And also so I can stop spending so much of my day cleaning the soiled litter box...)

And if it is food intolerance, how do I go about finding the right food that her tummy won't reject??.

Thanks everyone.

Quick food changes cause diarrhoea. Did you feed her her same thing she ate at the shelter, or phase her from shelter food to other food slowly? My kitten shat water for 4 months until we stabilised him with Hills I/D and weaned him on to Petcurean's Go! Dry food. I thought it was food intolerances too, but its just he is hypersensitive to diet changes. I'm surprised the vet moved to stool samples immediately without going with prescription porridge first. If it is an intolerance, your vet should be able to help you with isolation diets to work out what your mog is reacting to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally the message is out there, cat poo poo really DOES lead to crazy cat ladies!

NPR posted:

Some cats carry a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. Infected cats shed embryonic T. gondii, called oocysts, in their feces. These oocysts are easily transmitted to humans, and researchers have explored their possible link to various mental health problems, including schizophrenia.

Now a review published in Trends in Parasitology explores how substantial a public health threat the parasite poses in the United States. One thing's pretty clear: There are a lot of oocysts out there.

Shots spoke with Torrey, who says there are four factors that he believes makes this a valid health concern:

The cat population is growing.
    Every day about 1 million cats in the U.S. are actively pooping out as many as 50 million oocysts apiece.
    The oocycts are hard to kill.
    There is a well-documented correlation between mental illness and testing positive for T. gondii antibodies.

But Torrey also points out that T. gondii can sit dormant in the body for 20 years, so it may actually take a few decades to see the epidemiological effects on humans.

All hail our cat poop parasite overlords :getin:

Is this really that big of a deal? Obviously there's the whole worry about "cat poop parasites are hijacking our brain to MAKE us feel less scared of them", but should we break out the anti-poop parasite vaccines and medicines now or is the cat poop -> schizophrenia coincidence just a coincidence?

---

As for cat pills, I've had success just wrenching my cat's mouth open and shoving the pill into the back of his throat. It's mostly worked so far.

edit aaahhhh I just tried to give him a pill and that fucker made me eat my words. :saddowns: WHY WON'T YOU OPEN UP KITTY.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 10, 2013

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I'm so stupid. A year and several months relationship down the drain because I was big jerk all the time. I've spent the last several hours dealing with the reality of it. I think I'm going to be fine, but what's worse is that we have six cats. I can't take care of our six cats by myself, so she's going to take them to her parents' farm that's far from the road, out in the country, and with plenty of other cats and dogs. These were my first pets, my furry little mewing jerks that I raised from babby kittens. I have to look for another apartment, but it will have to be smaller and cheaper and that will accept pets. I don't even know if I'll ever get to pet them again or have them cuddle with me on the bed or paw my face until I wake up to feed them. I look at my cats, tell them how much I'm going to miss them, how much I love them, and it's so hard without breaking down.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My 3 year old cat has a centrally-located bump on the outside of his ear. I noticed it Sunday when it was the size of a BB. Today it's the size of a pea. It is under the fur and there is no hair loss and it doesn't hurt him when I touch it. He doesn't seem to groom it or anything. No bleeding or scabs, just a rubbery bump under the fur.

What could it be? Should I take him to the vet?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Pollyanna posted:

Is this really that big of a deal? Obviously there's the whole worry about "cat poop parasites are hijacking our brain to MAKE us feel less scared of them", but should we break out the anti-poop parasite vaccines and medicines now or is the cat poop -> schizophrenia coincidence just a coincidence?

Stories like this make the rounds every few years when a new study comes out but I think it's really just the combination of factors involved that make it a good news story (unseen organisms affecting human behavior! from pets! SCHIZOPHRENIA!) that it gets dredged up. This article from the Atlantic last year is pretty decent: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/308873/

Much like drug induced psychosis/schizophrenia, the prevailing theory on that correlation is that it can trigger it if you are already susceptible for other reasons (eg genetics).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Quick question about finding blood in a cat's stools.

We have a 1 year old spayed female cat. We found streaks of blood in her stools. We're taking her to the vet soon. I know that there are many possible causes for blood in stools, but is it possible that a 100% dry kibble diet can cause this problem (my theory is that dry kibble is causing hardened stools, which might be causing irritation and bleeding).

Now, before you jump all over me- yes, I know that a wet cat food diet is healthier (we have our other cat on a wet diet). But she absolutely won't touch wet food. We've been through about 20 different types of canned food, and she still prefers the dry. We're still experimenting with other canned food brand, but in the meantime she'll only touch the dry kibble type.

Esroc posted:

I'm already in love with the little guy and decided to name her Marley, but I am a little concerned about something. She is sleeping a lot. My past experience with kittens is that they are incessant little adventurers that want to get into anything and everything all day. But Marley has slept almost the entire time since I got her. She's eating and drinking just fine, going to the bathroom regularly, but when she's not doing those things she just curls up on the bed and passes out.

Should I give a vet a call or is it possible I just lucked out with a really laid back kitten?
Our cat (rescued at ~3 months old originally) was just like that. A trip to the vet revelead that she had a fever- our vet suspected that it was calicivirus. She made a complete, 100% recovery but I would definitely take your kitty to the vet. Lethargy in a kitten usually isn't common.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 10, 2013

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Pollyanna posted:

Finally the message is out there, cat poo poo really DOES lead to crazy cat ladies!

This is what happens when a news source runs out of things to say. None of the stuff they're talking about is new. There has been talk about some sort of relationship between schizophrenia and toxoplasmosis for at least the past 5 years (when I first read about it because of a family member who has schizophrenia).

The other thing they're trying to downplay is just how rare toxoplasmosis infections are from indoor cats. Lots of people have already been exposed to the parasite and have developed an immunity to it. I believe cats also develop an immunity, so they can only be infected once, and they usually get it by eating other infected mammals/birds. The cat then sheds parasite eggs for 2-3 weeks after becoming infected, and the eggs take another 1-30 days before they can infect humans. Then you'd have to eat cat poop to become infected. Wash your hands more often.

If you want to be really freaked out about it, it's much more likely that you'll get the disease from unwashed vegetables or contact with raw meat. So it's hilarious that California ran the "SAVE THE OTTERS" campaign and insisted that you shouldn't flush cat litter down the toilet because :byodame: Toxoplasmosis, but you're still allowed to rinse your vegetables and cutting board in the sink.

This was a really interesting study some years ago about the sources of infections in Chile. They basically found that over 50% of the infections came from exposure to infected meat. They also found indications that the surface water itself is infected.

Another interesting study where they talk about infected drinking water. Again, they identify the main transmission modes as "(i) from mother to fetus, (ii) by consumption of undercooked meat containing tissue cysts, and (iii) by ingestion of food or water contaminated by sporulated oocysts." The water did have to become contaminated by cats, but in many cases they are talking about wild cats, like mountain lions, not house cats.

Obviously people should be diligent about washing their hands as a precaution (but not just because of toxoplasmosis), but the news may as well be running a headline that says "Scientsts discover baby diapers can transmit E. coli." It's true, has been known for years, but most people are never going to run into that problem in that way.

Edit: VVVV Oops, not a virus. :) Edited to "parasite" and hopefully that's more accurate.

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 10, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

LoreOfSerpents posted:

The other thing they're trying to downplay is just how rare toxoplasmosis infections are from indoor cats. Lots of people have already been exposed to the virus and have developed an immunity to it. I believe cats also develop an immunity, so they can only be infected once, and they usually get it by eating other infected mammals/birds. The cat then sheds virus eggs for 2-3 weeks after becoming infected, and the eggs take another 1-30 days before they can infect humans. Then you'd have to eat cat poop to become infected. Wash your hands more often.

Buried in the article is a bit about how infection rates have actually gone down in recent years, which was cut out of the portion that was posted. But yeah it's sensationalism. Also it's a protozoan, not a virus :science:

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

sage words about toxoplasmosis

Bless you, beautiful goon. I can throw myself in a hypochondria tizzy very easily, and the fact that I have a schizophrenic uncle doesn't help.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I'm so stupid. A year and several months relationship down the drain because I was big jerk all the time. I've spent the last several hours dealing with the reality of it. I think I'm going to be fine, but what's worse is that we have six cats. I can't take care of our six cats by myself, so she's going to take them to her parents' farm that's far from the road, out in the country, and with plenty of other cats and dogs. These were my first pets, my furry little mewing jerks that I raised from babby kittens. I have to look for another apartment, but it will have to be smaller and cheaper and that will accept pets. I don't even know if I'll ever get to pet them again or have them cuddle with me on the bed or paw my face until I wake up to feed them. I look at my cats, tell them how much I'm going to miss them, how much I love them, and it's so hard without breaking down.

Can you board two of the cats until you have a place? I know its not the same as having all your cats with you, but its something.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Dienes posted:

Can you board two of the cats until you have a place? I know its not the same as having all your cats with you, but its something.

I don't know. I don't know how long it will be before I get an apartment. I don't if I'll be able to get an apartment that will accept pets. The best I can do is remain on good terms with her, and if I do get an apartment that will take in cats she'll let me have one or two of them back.

Another thing I'm worried about is that they have been indoor cats since they were little kittens. I don't know how they will do being mostly outdoor cats. They've got their claws, but I'm just worried.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Trying to convince my landlord to allow for a pet in my apartment now that we changed management. I got this response from them and it is a little :psyduck:

quote:

We do not allow cats in the studios due to the small amount of space, people who have allergies etc. However, did you find a cat and are interested in keeping it?

I don't know if they are saying no or if they are considering it or what. They also haven't responded since about what they mean by that statement. Anyone think I have hope of a furry companion?

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I don't know. I don't know how long it will be before I get an apartment. I don't if I'll be able to get an apartment that will accept pets. The best I can do is remain on good terms with her, and if I do get an apartment that will take in cats she'll let me have one or two of them back.

Another thing I'm worried about is that they have been indoor cats since they were little kittens. I don't know how they will do being mostly outdoor cats. They've got their claws, but I'm just worried.

I'm sorry about the relationship breakup you're going through. If you two are still on speaking terms, I would bring up your concerns to her about the cats, and see if you can get her to at least keep them indoors until you figure out when you'll (hopefully) be able to take a few cats back to your new apartment. I would also figure out which cats you'd want ASAP so that can be one more thing settled between the two of you.

If it seems certain that the cats will become indoor/outdoor or outdoor cats, please try and calmly express the need for all the cats vaccines/flea/heart worm preventions to be maintained or updated. The boarding idea is also good, and keeps "your" cats separate from "hers".

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Drythe posted:

Trying to convince my landlord to allow for a pet in my apartment now that we changed management. I got this response from them and it is a little :psyduck:

I don't know if they are saying no or if they are considering it or what. They also haven't responded since about what they mean by that statement. Anyone think I have hope of a furry companion?

I don't think anyone can read their mind. I assume your lease says no pets?

I mean, to me it seems like since they asked that question, you could try and spin em a sob story, but you definitely want to get a written lease addendum or something in writing if they try to come back and change their mind later.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Drythe posted:

The end of that story is "If you'd like to keep your cat you're welcome to rent one of these units that cost more money :)"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

potee posted:

The end of that story is "If you'd like to keep your cat you're welcome to rent one of these units that cost more money :)"

And honestly I would be fine with that because it would also be bigger but moving all my poo poo probably won't happen because :effort:

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
So, if this was my cat I'd probably be off to the vet, or at least calling them. But it isn't. I'm cat sitting Pipboy for my best friend while she's away on adventures during the summer. It hasn't been as smooth as it usually is with the cats, Batman accepted there was a new cat here like it was nothing, that fat oaf doesn't care at all. But Tiggy has had a slightly harder tim with Pip, but nothing violent. Just a lot of slightly insecure kitty behavior.

So, Pipboy is a 4 or 5 year old male, fixed and I'm not sure if he's up to date on his shots. He's got a problem with a couple of his claws, they grow really thick and long. Thanks to PI last year, I got my friend to understand it can hurt him if they grow too long.

So, Pip hates getting his claws trimmed. I knew that much. But it's a neccessary evil. So me and my roomie were cutting his claws and on the big ones, he reacted like it hurt when I clipped them. And there are a lot more that have turned big since last year. And he seems to be in pain when I touched them, and especially when I tried to clip.

What could be wrong? My friend is abroad so I can't get the insurance info and such right now.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Like 90% of animals are giant babies about having their nails trimmed. As long as you aren't cutting into or very very close to the quick, it's not hurting him. He just doesn't like it. I have cut into the quick only a tiny handful of times for all the years/cats I've been doing it because it's pretty clear where the quick is. You just have to suck it up and make him deal with it and get it over with. None of my cats are thrilled about having their nails trimmed but they deal with it with the help of a cat burrito from time to time.

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
He doesn't react badly on the claws that are normal, though. Just when I try to cut the large ones. Trust me I'm used to sucking it up, since if I don't I wake up with scratches when Batman has kneeded me while I'm asleep. Pip is reacting more like Batman did the one time that I accidentally cut his paw while clipping. Maybe I'm just over sensitive right now since it's not my cat, plus both of mine recently were very sick.

God Pip, stop being such a pussy :<

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So my family have more or less adopted my sister's cat for the time being. She's been living with us for a couple of months now, while waiting for my sister to move into her new apartment, and it's all been going well. The cat is slightly arrogant, just as all the cats I've met in my 26,5 years long life have been, but lately she has been more aggressive and will bite you if you try to pet her. It just happened over night. I came home from work one day, let her in to get some food and tried to pet her afterwards, which ended with her biting me, so I stopped petting her. My mom has not stopped petting her though, and she gets bitten all the time lately. She just doesn't take the hint.

Also, this cat seems to love water. Not showering or taking baths, but she sure as hell will jump into the shower if you don't look when you enter / exit it, and her favourite place to just chill out seems to be in the sink, usually after spending 10 - 15 minutes drinking the running water.

Anyway, anyone got a clue as to why she has suddenly started biting us when we try to pet or scratch her?

For information, she's about 1 year old, neutered, quite healthy and usually active and nocturnal. She spends most of her time outdoors, and only comes indoors for food and jumping into the sink, and lately, laying on the carpet next to the sofa where my mother spends most of her day these days, biting after her hands everytime she tries to pet her.

Come to think of it, the last couple of days she's also been kind of scared about going outside, which we think has something to do with something (or someone) killing two adult cats in the forest behind our house. A reporter from the local newspaper found them while on a hike when she noticed a murder of crows and lots of fur all over the forest trail. The cats where about 100 meters away from each other, dead and nasty.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Drythe posted:

It sounds like the landlord assumes that, since you're asking, you must already have a cat. Some landlords get very cynical thanks to tenant horror stories and therefore assume the worst in every situation.

My fiance and I managed to talk a landlord up from one cat to two, though it's hard to say no to a sweet, adorable kitty whose name is the current cat's backwards. He was also a private landlord who rented on the side.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Can anyone recommend any techniques for solo cat hardcore wrestling applying eye medication?

My cat has a punctured eye, and the vet's decision has been to put him on antibiotics for a week to see if surgery can be avoided (he tests positive for FIV so due to potential complications they don't want to put him through it if at all possible. That means a week of eyedrops every 3-4 hours, which is fine, but I'm home alone for the weekend and despite normally being an angelically-behaved cat his eye is bothering him and he's not going to make it easy. I've been warned the medicine is extremely fragile (was told to store in the back of the fridge as even contact with room temperature is enough to make it spoil) so I'd like to make each drop count.

Here's the patient, on the right:

He's great as-is and I hope this course of treatment works out. One cyclops is enough.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Datasmurf posted:

Come to think of it, the last couple of days she's also been kind of scared about going outside, which we think has something to do with something (or someone) killing two adult cats in the forest behind our house. A reporter from the local newspaper found them while on a hike when she noticed a murder of crows and lots of fur all over the forest trail. The cats where about 100 meters away from each other, dead and nasty.

Cats are susceptible to PTSD. It's possible she encountered whatever it was that's been killing the local cats lately, or that she had a run-in with some other outdoor danger. Given that, I think you should see about keeping her inside from now on.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
My poor, dear, sweet Cave Johnson is so terrified of my visiting family that he was forced to piss on his bed rather than make the trip to his litter box. I feel awful that he is so frightened. He's holed up in our bedroom, and we made him a makeshift litter box so hopefully it won't happen again.

Fortunately I had just enough Nature's Miracle to soak the bedding and clean the floor. It looked like he held his pee for as long as possible, then had to run to the bed as he couldn't wait any longer.

Hang in there, little guy, they'll be gone on Monday.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
So one of my cats managed to run off with a piece of salt-water taffy I left out when I went to the bathroom - I came back and she was smacking her lips and half way through a piece of vanilla. I got the rest away from her. I googled and found stuff about dogs eating taffy, but nothing about cats. Do you think she'll be okay? I'm worried about the taffy making it hard for her to poop.

Female, spayed
Had her for a year now
Innova canned
Indoors only
Lives with one other male cat who is about the same age

The taffy ingredients: corn syrup, sugar, coconut oil, 1% or less of: egg whites, natural/artificial flavors, salt, malic acid, citiric acid, sodium citrate, soy lecithin.

I can't leave you alone for a second, Merida

Edit: the piece of taffy is about 6 grams, the size of a quarter

Sanguinary Novel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 14, 2013

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Cats. :allears: I'm not nearly qualified to answer your question, but if you're really concerned, you might be able to call an after-hours vet or a 24-hour animal poison control hotline. Obviously take her to a vet if she's acting weird. I would be surprised if cats couldn't digest taffy, though. I'd expect it to just be a lot more sugar than she's supposed to have.

More importantly, why is there a ghost crossing the street behind your cat? :iiam:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Two things:

Does anyone have any recommendation for those fountain-type water bowls for cats? We've been looking at getting him one.

Secondly, has anyone ever done a subscription order for pet food? I was looking at the site we order pet food from at work and I was thinking about setting up a subscription just for Ollie's wet food as we go through it pretty fast but I've never done it before.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Shnooks posted:

Two things:

Does anyone have any recommendation for those fountain-type water bowls for cats?

This is the type I use. They have it in stainless steel and porcelain; avoid plastic as it can cause allergies. Really easy to clean and not over-loud.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Raimundus posted:

Cats are susceptible to PTSD. It's possible she encountered whatever it was that's been killing the local cats lately, or that she had a run-in with some other outdoor danger. Given that, I think you should see about keeping her inside from now on.

Hmm, it may be. Since I posted she's gotten better though, and spends most of her time chilling in my mother's favourite lawn chair just outside the kitchen door. Watching the rain pour down. And if she's eager to get in in the middle of the night, she knows that I sleep with my windows open so she just runs down to the first floor and sticks her head inside my window, rustling my blinds and meowing untill I wake up from the noise and let her in. Then I of course have to stay up for another 30 mins, because she will come back down and either scratch and headbutt my door till I let her out again, or if I leave it open, fart in my face. Just like a typical cat I'd say.

Originally she's an outdoors cat, but due to the cold winters in this part of Norway, she was allowed to spend most of her time as a kitten inside the house (Winter lasted from late October to late April), so now we're not sure what she is anymore. My sister really wants her to be an outdoors cat though, and she grew up more or less on an airforce base, so she's used to noise and wind and spending time outside for hours. But my mother is soft and wants her to be inside with her and not go around outside all night catching and killing mice to bring back to her as presents. It'll be interesting to see if she'll stay an outdoors cat when my sister finally is taking the cat with her when she moves into her new apartment in a couple of weeks.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

We've just started letting our cats outdoors to explore - only while we are home, as we don't have a catflap and don't really want to leave windows open or have them shut outside.

Anyway, so far they haven't explored too far, just our garden and the neighbouring couple (we are in a terrace) and have been relatively easily wrangled back in. We've been timing our letting them out with food time, so they'll have been out for a couple of hours before feeding. Any tips for training them to come back in the evenings apart from putting food down at certain times and hoping they're hungry?? We kind of want to be able to shut the doors and lock up at around 8-9pm and be certain they are in and safe.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Cats. :allears: I'm not nearly qualified to answer your question, but if you're really concerned, you might be able to call an after-hours vet or a 24-hour animal poison control hotline. Obviously take her to a vet if she's acting weird. I would be surprised if cats couldn't digest taffy, though. I'd expect it to just be a lot more sugar than she's supposed to have.

More importantly, why is there a ghost crossing the street behind your cat? :iiam:

Hah, its just paint on the screen. She seems to be okay today, but I'll have to check the litter box today and keep an eye on her. Like a cat, she doesn't think there is a drat thing wrong. Just in case I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and ask him about it.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sanguinary Novel posted:

So one of my cats managed to run off with a piece of salt-water taffy I left out when I went to the bathroom - I came back and she was smacking her lips and half way through a piece of vanilla. I got the rest away from her. I googled and found stuff about dogs eating taffy, but nothing about cats. Do you think she'll be okay? I'm worried about the taffy making it hard for her to poop.

Female, spayed
Had her for a year now
Innova canned
Indoors only
Lives with one other male cat who is about the same age

The taffy ingredients: corn syrup, sugar, coconut oil, 1% or less of: egg whites, natural/artificial flavors, salt, malic acid, citiric acid, sodium citrate, soy lecithin.

I can't leave you alone for a second, Merida

Edit: the piece of taffy is about 6 grams, the size of a quarter

My late kitty Gypsy LOVED taffy. Any flavor...she didn't care. If it was sweet she would go for it. I have always been told that cats cannot taste sweet, but apparently she never got that particular memo. She would eat anything and everything sweet: cookie dough, taffy, raw honey, sugar packets, fruit juice, ice cream/otter pops, peppermints, cinnamon bread, donuts, frosting, etc. It was hilarious to see what she got into, even though we kept it as inaccessible as we could.

So yes, some cats do like /love taffy...we never once saw her sick from it. Most she ever ate was two whole pieces she managed to grab from a bag and run off with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Even after nannying for years, I have a new respect for parents, because we are now fostering 5 kittens, all under 2 pounds. The other cats have no access to them...save when the fuckers climb out of their pen. Kitten cage/condo should be arriving tomorrow, thank every god ever.