Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I can vouch for black rapid side sling. They are so neat. But you would probably want a vest version as the side sling kinda lets it dangle around pretty freely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

:siren: Instax Party! :siren:

(Very close to finishing all the US trip photos)

I just bought my girlfriend one of these in bangkok as a present. Not the wide format kind though...

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Was lazy on the post-work.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 29, 2020

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Revolucion posted:

Doing my thing to make rocks look sexy.

Mount Eliza, South-west National Park

I find the vignette distracting me from the majesty of the rocks butts.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

1st AD posted:

Question for you avid hikers - is there any good gear that will allow me to carry a full frame camera somewhere accessible (i.e. not in a bag)? Maybe some kind of vest with straps that can keep the camera secure while I'm trekkin'
I've seen people use a tripod plate that has a little D-ring on it and using a carabiner hang the camera from a loop on their pack's shoulder strap. Something like this, for example, not necessarily this one:

If you have an especially heavy camera it can be a little obnoxious (say, a D800 and 21mm Zeiss). I've used the same solution for when I just need to get to a particular spot but need my hands for tools and I clip the camera to my belt.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

...if I could get on a soapbox, though, just keep everything packed away nicely and take a break, relax, and enjoy everything when you see something to photograph. Trust yourself (or learn to develop a trust) to know the difference something that just looks nice, and something that will make a great photograph. Then, drag out the camera and lenses and tripod and cable release (because you are using a tripod and cable release) to make a great loving photo of a wonderful place that speaks to you.

I've found I enjoy the experience and the photos much more that way, and that usually means other people do too.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1st AD posted:

Question for you avid hikers - is there any good gear that will allow me to carry a full frame camera somewhere accessible (i.e. not in a bag)? Maybe some kind of vest with straps that can keep the camera secure while I'm trekkin'

I don't know about "good" but one thing that worked for me was strapping my tripod to my backpack and attaching the camera to the head. The way my day bag works allows the tripod to be strapped vertically, so I did a 20 mile hike with my camera floating above my head. :haw:

This does mean I had to beg my wife to get the camera off when I wanted to take a picture, but overall it worked well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I should mention I'm going up Mt. Whitney and will be doing some massive elevation gains in a single day, so a day bag isn't going to work and I really don't want to strap a tripod on since I'll be carrying a shitload of food and water already.

I like the idea of a Blackrapid strap, but do they have anything that sits more in the middle of your body? Or maybe I should just get that vest designed for 2 cameras and attach both ends to the same body.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

1st AD posted:

I should mention I'm going up Mt. Whitney and will be doing some massive elevation gains in a single day, so a day bag isn't going to work and I really don't want to strap a tripod on since I'll be carrying a shitload of food and water already.

I like the idea of a Blackrapid strap, but do they have anything that sits more in the middle of your body? Or maybe I should just get that vest designed for 2 cameras and attach both ends to the same body.

So why not just get any old neck strap if you want to have a camera banging off your chest the whole day.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Kinda goofy looking but something like this maybe? http://optechusa.com/straps/stabilizer-strap.html

Blackrapid probably would go badly since there's nothing to secure it to your hip. When you lean upper body forward it swings off and hangs below your neck. Smashes into rocks etc...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

East Lake posted:

Kinda goofy looking but something like this maybe? http://optechusa.com/straps/stabilizer-strap.html

Blackrapid probably would go badly since there's nothing to secure it to your hip. When you lean upper body forward it swings off and hangs below your neck. Smashes into rocks etc...

Yeah this looks more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Has anybody used one of these before?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Now that I think of it you might be able to tie the blackrapid to a belt loop or something so it doesn't move.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

East Lake posted:

Photography lederhosen. Excellent.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

East Lake posted:

Now that I think of it you might be able to tie the blackrapid to a belt loop or something so it doesn't move.

Clip a good sized d-ring to a belt loop, hook blackrapid in when you don't want it swinging might work.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

East Lake posted:

Put it in your bag. Rock-face gives no fucks. At all. Seriously, most climbers who take up big gear, put it in a bag and get it out when needed. Just make sure your cams are secure before you fiddle around with your bag. Its a hassle but honestly the rock face will always win if you plan to do any serious climb and use that device. Plus your camera would get in the way.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pro 300 Lanes by Ashade76, on Flickr

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 29, 2020

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Goddamnit aliencowboy, now I want an instax.

Jooiiinnn ussssss. It's just like a Chamonix good ol' boys club, except with tighter pants and more self-loathing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Jooiiinnn ussssss. It's just like a Chamonix good ol' boys club, except with tighter pants and more self-loathing.

Noone is more self loathing than someone with a freezer full of 4x5 film. What instax ya'll got? I was thinking of getting a mini 50s since I have a land camera for all my large instant needs.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

No matter how you slice it, it's a giant blob of plastic, go for the wide.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Revolucion posted:

Doing my bit to make rocks look sexy.

Mount Eliza, South-west National Park

Goddamnit.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Portland needs more bridges

Willamette River, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Artificial Lake by alkanphel, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2013-744 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF2386.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2369.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2368.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Original by Ashade76, on Flickr

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Also, that (original) Taco House shot is awesome.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

some trees by Alex Gard, on Flickr

I got lost on my scooter in Koh samui and found this random waterfall somewhere on the Western side of the island, decided to check it out but was thoroughly disappointed by how much trash was left all over the place. The waterfall was not so crash hot (can't remember the name) but the walk to and from was alright.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 16, 2013

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
This is that Sathorn ghost building. Look at this thing. it just screams "get all up inside me"

Sathorn Tower, Bangkok by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Fish processing yards/trash yards, Bangkok by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Empty lot/trash Bangkok by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Bangkok skyline by Alex Gard, on Flickr9

It seems my screw-in kenko 10-stop filter create this vignetting... which is quite annoying. I thought I'd avoid it if I wasn't using that bracket system on a UWA lens, but apparently not. :(

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 15, 2013

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
The middle two look like Apocalypse simulators.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Falls by jpitha, on Flickr

Should I have let it go longer, or should I have tried to freeze the water? I feel like I went with neither here and the photo suffers.

Country hill by jpitha, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I personally find long-exposed waterfalls much more appealing than frozen. , but that's just me.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Sludge Tank posted:

I personally find long-exposed waterfalls much more appealing than frozen. , but that's just me.

I think it really depends on the feeling you want to evoke from the photo. That said I almost always do long exposures.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

P7150495-Edit.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150045.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150595.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150308.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150144.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Weast by Ashade76, on Flickr

DSCF1236 by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 16, 2013

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2013-757 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
6x6 is hard.

Five Star Trail, Greensburg by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Try 7x7 some time; even harder.