Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Capt. Awesome posted:

That was one of the first bottles of scotch I ever had, and I really enjoyed it. Rumor has it that it's Macallan, but who knows. Mine also has some 18 yo speyside finished in Sherry right now as well, for I think 5 bucks cheaper. If I wasn't already weighed down with a crapton of other booze, I'd be performing my own science experiments!
Typically the Kirkland Macallans get labeled as such. There's been a lot of idle speculation on these and I figure these are umpteenth refill hogsheads + sherry finished Mortlach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Today was a good day. Last week in Cleveland we stopped at an area Coast Guard Exchange, I went straight to the whiskeys hoping to find a bargain and i wasn't disappointed. I scored a bottle of Jameson 18 year for the great price of 74.95. OK, so we are caught up and today me and the pops did a taste test with the 18 and a bottle of Red Breast 12 year and to say the Jameson was the winner is an understatement cause in reality we were the winners.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So for reasons I can't disclose business needs to create some whisky (mostly Irish/bourbon, I don't think scotch any time soon) palates in some of our other members.

I'm thinking of going like, Jameson/Tullamore Dew standard (maybe 10-12 year) for the Irish, and something like Jefferson's/Wild Turkey 101/Elijah Craig something or other, and they should probably at least know what Jack Daniels' and Maker's Mark taste like even if I don't like them. Everybody liked the Booker's I gave them once so there is definitely hope.

Any ways I'm totally wrong? Something I'm forgetting?

e: We are in Pennsylvania. We have a Premium Selection or whatever it is store at hand so hope isn't totally lost, but definitely keep that poo poo in mind.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 12, 2013

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Shugojin posted:

e: We are in Pennsylvania. We have a Premium Selection or whatever it is store at hand so hope isn't totally lost, but definitely keep that poo poo in mind.

Based upon what's available in PA liquor stores, I'd go for:

Jameson & Tullamore 12 (Basic "smooth" Irish, just to taste two different ones)
Maybe Connemara for peat
Someone else might be able to elaborate further as I'm not terribly familiar with Irish whiskey

Old Grand-Dad BIB or WT101 (Rye-heavy bourbon)
Weller Reserve (Wheated bourbon)
Evan Williams (Basic sour-mash/mixing bourbon)
Buffalo Trace (For a more "balanced" but rich bourbon - for comparison's sake with the above)
Jack Daniels Single Barrel (Tennessee whiskey - just for comparison's sake)
Old Overholt or WT Rye (Rye)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Shugojin posted:

So for reasons I can't disclose business needs to create some whisky (mostly Irish/bourbon, I don't think scotch any time soon) palates in some of our other members.

I'm thinking of going like, Jameson/Tullamore Dew standard (maybe 10-12 year) for the Irish, and something like Jefferson's/Wild Turkey 101/Elijah Craig something or other, and they should probably at least know what Jack Daniels' and Maker's Mark taste like even if I don't like them. Everybody liked the Booker's I gave them once so there is definitely hope.

Any ways I'm totally wrong? Something I'm forgetting?

Irish: Redbreast 12 and Jameson

Bourbon: Jim Beam Black (or Knob Creek), WT101 (or Russell's Reserve), Maker's Mark (reasoning - 3 very different but very popular taste profiles)

optional: Four Roses Small Batch, Elijah Craig 12 (very good for a baseline), Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve

American other: Russell's Reserve Rye (or other rye), George Dickel No. 12, Seagrams 7 or Kesslers.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah we ended up going with Jack and Crown (tiny bottles), Hudson Baby Bourbon and Elijah Craig 12 for this round.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I am so sorry, but what is the Whisky best for Old-Fashioned?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Reasonably good rye or bourbon. No need to break the bank, but I wouldn't use the cheap stuff either.

oldfashioned101.com

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Old Overholt for a rye, Evan Williams Small Batch for a not-rye. This is the whiskey thread but I also suggest exploring using rum's in old fashioned's. I suggest Flor de Caña 7 year as a starting point.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Smith and Cross navy strength Jamaican rum, no question.

edit: As for whiskey I love a Sazerac 6 year rye getting the Old Fashioned treatment.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
When I visited the best local whisky bar the last time I was a little disappointed with my choices. This time I made up for it really well with a selection of Brora 30 from 2003, Port Ellen 7th release and a surprisingly cheap Dailuaine 27 from Adelphi. Both the Brora and the PE displayed such richness and variety of taste that the latest older peated OBs I've tasted (Caol Ila 25, Bunnahabhain 25, Laphroaig 25) seem pedestrian and bland in comparison. I'm actually shocked at the radical difference in quality between these releases as with the new OBs I've had considerable trouble trying to justify their price point while the Brora and the PE announced their excellence boldly at the very first nosing of the glasses and left me wishing for more. The place also had Glenmorangie Signet, which is definitely not worth the price it commands since its structure is a bit messy and too closed up for such a 'luxury item', and even adding water doesn't balance it out properly.

Tried a Laphroaig CS from 2009 at another bar over the weekend and now I'm really sad I didn't stock up on it when it was still available, because it is an excellent Laphroaig that's light years apart from the mediocre fair of the QC, TW, PX or QA Cask releases. I may like the CS even more than the 18yo.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 15, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
welp, I turned 30, and as a gift from some friends who know I buy most scotches I'm interested in, I received a bottle of whistle pig rye, (which I know I like, but not as much as the manhattan rye) and a bottle of eagle rare single barrel, 10 yr which I am tasting now.

This is delicious. One of the outright sweetest american whiskies I've had. There's a rich maple character going on -- there going to be people for whom it's just too darn sweet and the finish will feel cloying. It isn't quite as clean or as pointed as a Woodford but I'm quite enjoying it neat, will try with rocks soon. If there's a criticism it's that it's not an exceptionally nuanced flavor -- a bit one note, but a very pretty one. Probably recommend this as a good beginner bourbon.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

This is delicious. One of the outright sweetest american whiskies I've had. There's a rich maple character going on -- there going to be people for whom it's just too darn sweet and the finish will feel cloying. It isn't quite as clean or as pointed as a Woodford but I'm quite enjoying it neat, will try with rocks soon. If there's a criticism it's that it's not an exceptionally nuanced flavor -- a bit one note, but a very pretty one. Probably recommend this as a good beginner bourbon.

How is the mouth feel on the Eagle Rare? I've been interested in trying it, and I've come to find I like a thicker mouth feel. Anything I've had with a thinner mouth feel I've been disappointed in (Blantons, I'm looking at you).

VVVV: Sweet, thanks for the info.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 21, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I didn't want to say maple syrup, because syrupy is such a bad connotation for spirits, but it's definitely a full mouthfeel. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So my girlfriend clued me in on her plan to get a liquor cabinet for my birthday. Since then we've been looking around on Amazon and not finding much. My main priority is to be able to hold a decent number of bottles (maybe 25 or more) and her priority is aesthetics. Do you guys have any recommendations? I've never owned a liquor cabinet so I don't know if there are any fundamental necessities such as good temp/humidity control or anything like that. We don't have kids and no roommates so locks are not paramount.

I figure it will be cheapest to repurpose a normal cabinet but I think she has something more specific in mind. I didn't really know where else to ask so maybe you guys can help me out. Any thoughts? Maybe you all could post pics of your cabinet/storage setups to give me ideas?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Inspector 34 posted:

Maybe you all could post pics of your cabinet/storage setups to give me ideas?

Nothing beats an Art Deco liquor cabinet. They are very expensive if you get them restored on eBay or at an antiques shop but if you troll Craig's list for estate sales they are much more reasonable

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I recently started working at a bar with the largest whiskey selection in the state of OH. I've never been much of a whiskey drinker, but I've started to appreciate it at my job.

One or two nights a week I'll drink some whiskey at a shift meeting, before or after my shift. My coworkers and I will split 1.25-2oz between two or three of us.

So far my favorites are Ardbeg 10, Blanton's, Crown Reserve, and Jefferson Presidential.

This past Friday I attended a whiskey luncheon that was hosted by a local distributor, and I got to meet Jimmy Russell. He talked about all the whiskey they make at Wild Turkey, and signed a bunch of autographs for everyone. He was a very down to earth guy, and extremely knowledgeable. He's been distilling bourbon whiskey for 59 years, it's absolutely crazy to think there's people who have been doing stuff like that for so long.

I frequent the beer thread all the time, but I'm going to start dropping in here more often to say "hi". Still a huge amateur when it comes to smelling/tasting whiskey. I have a hard time picking up on some of the nuances of the different whiskeys. Can't wait til I can fully appreciate a great whiskey!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
That's basically the only way you get into the business if you aren't born into it. Start out sweeping the warehouses and marking barrels, graduate to turning the malt or filling the mash tun, etc. Elmer T. Lee died last week at 93, he'd been continuously active at the Buffalo Trace distillery pretty much up until his death even though officially he'd retired almost three decades ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Inspector 34 posted:

So my girlfriend clued me in on her plan to get a liquor cabinet for my birthday. Since then we've been looking around on Amazon and not finding much. My main priority is to be able to hold a decent number of bottles (maybe 25 or more) and her priority is aesthetics. Do you guys have any recommendations? I've never owned a liquor cabinet so I don't know if there are any fundamental necessities such as good temp/humidity control or anything like that. We don't have kids and no roommates so locks are not paramount.

Everything you put in a liquor cabinet is in a stoppered bottle, right? I would be surprised if temperature/humidity had any effect. (Although wine needs temperature control; maybe there are liquors that are similar?)

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Every time I visit this thread I am reminded how god-drat lucky I am to both live in Edinburgh and have a significant other who works in the trade and can get whisky (wine too but I don't care about that) bottles at cost. Not trade, mates rates or some % off retail; distillery internal employee cost price.

£14 for a bottle of Lagavulin 16 is never going to get old for me :smug:

- Edit; anyone going to the Whisky Fringe this year?

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 22, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

prefect posted:

Everything you put in a liquor cabinet is in a stoppered bottle, right? I would be surprised if temperature/humidity had any effect. (Although wine needs temperature control; maybe there are liquors that are similar?)

Mostly with liquor you want to keep it out of the sun. And I guess don't store it next to the hot water heater.

For the most part, a liquor cabinet is just a cabinet.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Clamps McGraw posted:

£14 for a bottle of Lagavulin 16 is never going to get old for me :smug:

I'm trying to blow you up with my mind, is it working?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

why oh WHY posted:

I'm trying to blow you up with my mind, is it working?

The takeaway two doors down from me burned down during the night; I think your targeting is a little off.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Has anyone in here ever tried Traverse City Whiskey Co.'s Bourbon? I just picked up a bottle on a lark cause I'd never heard of it. It's really smooth, which is nice...but it's also pretty bland. I'm drinking it straight, as I usually do, but it tastes like the couple times I've accidentally mixed too much water in my glass. Do I just have a bad bottle, or is this a bad whiskey?

E: It's also 86 proof, which is confusing me cause there's very little bite.

Double E: Also, if this doesn't get better in the next couple glasses, what's a good way to dress up a mediocre bourbon? I don't really have any experience with mixed whiskey drinks outside of Jack & Cokes in college.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Mint Julep? Manhattan?

Those are my go to shite whiskey drinks

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
So a friend and I just cracked an old (purchased ~4 years ago) bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and found it tp be more satisfying than more recently purchased bottles. Has anyone else had this experience? I'd be sad to learn that ardbeg was being less than consistent in producing something I've been quite comfortable endorsing without hesitation.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

I don't have an older Uige to compare with but I think I ran into the same problem with Lagavulin 16 bottles from 2012. I recall the tarriness and smokiness of the whisky being much stronger than on the late 2012 bottle I opened some time ago, and found some other folks complaining about the same thing.

Me and 3 friends had a tasting of Caol Ilas last night. On the menu were the 12yo OB, a single cask 11yo from Adelphi, 2 different Elements of Islay bottlings, a single cask 18yo from specialty drinks, a 19yo from The Whisky Exchange, Port Askaig 19 & 25 and a MacKillop 30yo single cask distilled in 1981. The most loved two were the 30yo MacKillop and the Port Askaig 25 with the MacKillop getting a lot of comments about having the most unique taste and aroma somewhere closer to HP & Talisker than what one would expect of Caol Ila. We had no poor bottles on the menu but compared to the others the 18yo sc from specialty drinks was a little disappointing.

When I and the owner of the Cl3 bottle started nosing and tasting it next to the Port Askaig 19 we'd assumed to be the same whisky, this time we noticed very obvious differences in taste, structure and age of the bottlings with the Cl3 feeling noticeably younger on the tongue. We were both actually a bit surprised since we thought the Cl3 tasted very different and a lot more aromatic this time, yet it was the same bottle that had already been open a long time prior to the last tasting. In the previous tasting we both thought the Cl3 had a strange ammonia-like aroma on it but this time it wasn't present. I'd blame dirty glasses if I hadn't checked them myself. As is I don't know what happened.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 28, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
On a whim I picked up some Smooth Ambler Old Scout bourbon (apparently a 6yo LDI w/ 36% rye bill). It was pretty pleasantly surprising and has a ton of rye character. It was a bit hot for it's proof, but otherwise really nice.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Sign in liquor store in kips bay, Manhattan.

How is Babby Bourbon formed?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Sign in liquor store in kips bay, Manhattan.

How is Babby Bourbon formed?
Terribly. Tuthilltown/Hudson products are vile.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone got experience with full size Caol Ila cask strength bottles? A 20cl small bottle I purchased is really unimpressive, but based on the alc vol this isn't from the same batch as the currently sold cask str. full size bottles, and I'd like to know whether a big one is a better investment.

edit:

I did the first part of a horizontal between Lagavulin 12yo 2012, 2010 and the Elements of Islay Lg2 today. I've still got enough of each to do another round tomorrow but based on my first impressions I'd definitely recommend the 2012 over the other two because its structure integrates the different aromatic components together best. The 2010 isn't far behind though, and might appeal more for those with a preference of dry taste over sweet. Compared to the OBs the Lg2 isn't a whisky for collectors or random imbibers but certainly an interesting experience for those with affinity for Lagavulin, because here you get to sample, at a very reasonable price, some component parts of what makes Lagavulin so wonderful. In my dreams I'll find a polar opposite Lagavulin single cask to the Lg2 somewhere.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 1, 2013

deathfalls
Oct 28, 2003
death cult armageddon
Is it possible to get a bad batch of whiskey? I bought another bottle of Bulleit Rye yesterday and just got around to opening it and it tastes foul, nothing like the other bottles of it that I've had. Never experienced that with whiskey before.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, that can certainly happen, and I've heard that it happens more with Bulleit than with other whiskeys at that price point for some reason. It's good whiskey, people just occasionally get lovely bottles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

deathfalls posted:

Is it possible to get a bad batch of whiskey? I bought another bottle of Bulleit Rye yesterday and just got around to opening it and it tastes foul, nothing like the other bottles of it that I've had. Never experienced that with whiskey before.

I've had the nasty Bulleit experience. It put me off that brand.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

deathfalls posted:

That's happened to me with Bulleit too. I think I'm done with them.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Today I went on a pilgrimage to the holy land of ethanol, Binnys, looking to restock my cabinet. I was pleasantly surprised when I found they finally stocked Yamazaki 12. Today is a good day. :sun:

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Yamazaki 12 is very tasty stuff. I've only had two Japanese whiskeys (Hibiki 12 and the Yamazaki 12) but found both to be very well balanced and more floral than the scotches I've bought.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
I liked it a lot better when I could get it for $30. Those days are long, long gone :(

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

"Hey guys, I found this bourbon from 1974 in my basement" is always a good way to get an evening going. It tastes like regular ol' cheap bourbon, but the classy color scheme and the fact that the bottle vaguely resembles Aunt Jemima really add to the experience. In no way do I recommend seeking this out in any other form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

deathfalls posted:

Try it again in a few days. It's really easy for something to be messing with your palate and significantly change your the flavors you perceive. I've had it happen with some of my favorite whiskies, from the same bottle, and coming back a few days later, it was as delicious as I originally remembered it. Never write off a whole bottle from a single tasting.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 5, 2013