Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I just spent $200 on locktite and timesert kits. :saddowns:

At least the ducati will soon have a working kickstand again. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

About timeserts, if I already have a thread cutting set and appropriate drill bits, can I get away with buying a countersink bit and individual inserts? The kits are quite costly...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

About timeserts, if I already have a thread cutting set and appropriate drill bits, can I get away with buying a countersink bit and individual inserts? The kits are quite costly...

Yes, however, the insert driver is probably some kind of super hardened metal to prevent it from deforming as it finishes the final threads and seats the insert. You'd just need to buy the insert, figure out what kind of external thread it has, and make sure you can get a tap in that size.

Depending on cost in your area, it may end up being a wash anyways...they're around $70-$100 out here and that only ends up being $20-$30 more than buying the pieces individually.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 11, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I am an idiot and ordered the wrong oversized timesert kit, and didn't notice until I drilled it out that it was the wrong one. Fack - M12 kit rather than M10 kit.

But I can still make it work. Not the end of the world, just loving annoying as poo poo and a fuckup that I shouldn't have done. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Selfishly, I got excited in the beginning of your post thinking I could take it off your hands for a song until I saw that it wasn't a size I needed. Since it wasn't, I can offer my honest sympathies. :angel:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Selfishly, I got excited in the beginning of your post thinking I could take it off your hands for a song until I saw that it wasn't a size I needed. Since it wasn't, I can offer my honest sympathies. :angel:

What size do you need? I've got the standard timesert in M10 as well, that I used to repair the other one. I'll send it over to you, just send it back when you're done :) I've got an M10x1.5? thread normal time-sert kit and an M12 by 1.75 bigsert kit (double oversize for inserts into holes that have already been tapped and helicoiled or time-sert'ed

After far too much time with drill, a little JBweld to reinforce the riser on the kickstand mount, the timesert is installed, and this morning I drilled out the kickstand mount slightly so the M12 bolt fits through, ground down the M12 bolt head to fit in, and then reinstalled the bracket. The bike stands on it's own again! And far more upright now as well, which is nice.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 13, 2013

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the offer! I'd have to double check, but I think my problems are in M8 and M6 dimensions. I should just cough up for them myself though, they'll come in very handy many times in life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Thanks for the offer! I'd have to double check, but I think my problems are in M8 and M6 dimensions. I should just cough up for them myself though, they'll come in very handy many times in life.

Yeah I need to buy an M8 and M6 kit as well eventually. At least bike makers tend to be pretty consistent on what sizes and thread pitches they use.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My dad used to work with aircraft components, whenever they had a steel screw going into an aluminum piece they'd put in a steel insert - this is during fabrication. It's going to strip, might as well do the job right away.

Also, I need a drill stand. It will look good in the corner of my living room.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I hope you have wood floors or soon you will have a metal infused carpet.

I'd imagine they installed steel inserts to stop the dissimilar metals from seizing to each other? Or is it that the insert has larger threads to prevent pullthrough at a given torque value? Always A, sometimes B?

Also, if the hole isnt blind, you can install a timesert from the other side so it's collar prevents pull through...pretty cool.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yup, no carpets. And no safety goggles...need to rectify that. Sunglasses do the job, but then I can't see what I'm doing. Also I hold the vacuum cleaner next to the brush. The reason for installing inserts was that the required torque could strip the softer aluminum, particularly if it got taken apart several times.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I wonder if there's any benefit in terms of galvanic corrosion doing it that way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Probably, I should ask him more about this, but as far as I know, in mixed metal work that is exposed to risk through galvanic corrosion they can manage it with sacrificial anodes and other wizardry.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Probably, I should ask him more about this, but as far as I know, in mixed metal work that is exposed to risk through galvanic corrosion they can manage it with sacrificial anodes and other wizardry.

Yeah I'd be curious to hear about the factors it does and doesnt protect against.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'll ask. I am also considering putting inserts in my spark plug holes. Might as well, right? But that area is exposed to a lot of heat and stress, if mixed metals can cause trouble, it can case a lot of trouble there. As you maybe saw from the pic in my thread, my spark plugs rust due to mixed metals, as well as the way the head gathers water and dirt. The best way to solve it would be a sacrificial anode. Every year I would sacrifice a live anode on the altar of Oxydia, the god of corrosion.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I'll ask. I am also considering putting inserts in my spark plug holes. Might as well, right? But that area is exposed to a lot of heat and stress, if mixed metals can cause trouble, it can case a lot of trouble there. As you maybe saw from the pic in my thread, my spark plugs rust due to mixed metals, as well as the way the head gathers water and dirt. The best way to solve it would be a sacrificial anode. Every year I would sacrifice a live anode on the altar of Oxydia, the god of corrosion.

Well now, let's not turn this into a religious debate :v:

I was dealing with some paperwork today and found perhaps the most telling sign that I am a home for wayward bikes:

And of course the one bike with a clean title is actually just a frame and plate sitting downstairs. Of course!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 14, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does California have a law on how many vehicles can be titled in your name at a time? :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Does California have a law on how many vehicles can be titled in your name at a time? :v:

Not yet. I've always been curious as to if they will one day get mad at me for constantly buying and selling motorcycles, but I don't see any good reason for them to do that. Motorcycles are generally pretty under the radar.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They may have a yearly limit. I know in Australia you can't sell more than 5 or 6 cars a year without being classed as a dealer. Number might be off but its something like that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona is four in a 12mo rolling period, I doubt they actually enforce it unless you're abusing the system.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

They may have a yearly limit. I know in Australia you can't sell more than 5 or 6 cars a year without being classed as a dealer. Number might be off but its something like that.

CA law says you're good as long as you're not "operating as a dealer", whatever the gently caress that means. I looked into getting a dealership license just to be all nice and legal like if I did decide to start expanding the buying and selling thing but it's a huge pain the rear end and I have a day job, which I'm pretty sure is the main qualifier for being a "dealer" - if you buy and sell bikes as your primary income, you're a dealer, if you don't, you're not. I also tend to keep all my bikes for at least 3-6 months, put a few thousand miles on each one, etc. I buy them to ride them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This bike is nearly done. This will be completed, then I need to finish up the GSX-R 750, then I'll make rearsets for my daytona, and we'll supermono the MZ that this bike is replacing. Hopefully I'll have more free time coming up soon :)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I look forward to seeing the PBR mod.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Basking shark with downs syndrome - never forget

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

Basking shark with downs syndrome - never forget

Basking shark lives forever in our dreams. Now on to platypus.

Also

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Just going to put it out there that the GSX-R 750 Z3n's mentioned here a couple of times is just a little bit the best bike ever.

EDIT: HI AMERICA!

EDIT 2: Wide view:

prukinski fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 15, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want that. MMM.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

BlackMK4 posted:

I want that. MMM.

Well, I mean, yeah. If you're a fan of rocket armchairs you should want it. It flies. I have no idea what to make of it: simultaneously the fastest, most brutal and weirdly forgiving bike I've ever sat on. 150% the dumbest choice of bike for seeing America on. I'll be taking it two-up through the Pacific Northwest from tomorrow because, well, obviously, salvaged race bikes make perfect tourers. Great life choices all around, really.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You need a pit stop in Seattle, PM me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stop in wisconsin so I can ride/steal that thing. Mostly the latter.

I'll even buy you a plane ticket back to cali

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll even buy you a plane ticket back to cali

G'aww, ain't you the sweetest bike thief ever?

Spiffness posted:

You need a pit stop in Seattle, PM me.

Probs gonna be based in Portland for most of the week, but will definitely try to head up to Seattle for a day at least. I'll hit you up when we're heading your way :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

He didn't even mention the good poo poo - It's got a penske shock and racetech cartridges in the front, thusly the "most forgiving" part of it.

Pretty decent bike.

Just bought something for Spiffness. Can't say what it is though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Of all the best-worst idea's we've had so far this is certainly one of them... I think.

presidentnixon
Sep 12, 2005

No, the other Nixon.

Z3n posted:

He didn't even mention the good poo poo - It's got a penske shock and racetech cartridges in the front, thusly the "most forgiving" part of it.

Pretty decent bike.

Can't or won't?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

presidentnixon posted:

Can't or won't?

Can't, because he doesn't have a Chinese character pack installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Z3n posted:

Pretty decent bike.

Yall should hold on to it until I can make it out there again!

also I can't wait to see what the hell Spiff is getting.

edit: If you do I will bring a Lone Star beer can for it.

• Locked thread