Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I hope NRS does some poo poo to superman like they did to scorpion because he is pretty much the Kabal of this game. I wouldn't mind if he was top tier on the strength of his rushdown or zoning but to have some of the absolute best in both is just ridiculous.

e: oh god top of the page :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ParanoidInc posted:

I hope NRS does some poo poo to superman like they did to scorpion because he is pretty much the Kabal of this game. I wouldn't mind if he was top tier on the strength of his rushdown or zoning but to have some of the absolute best in both is just ridiculous.

e: oh god top of the page :can:

Superman is really good but he is nowhere near as broken or dominant as Kabal. Kabal makes some matches basically as unwinnable as things get. People still have a chance against Superman, it's just hard.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Superman is a whole level above everyone else. He has better melee than the brawlers, better zoning than the zoners. It's like :psyduck:

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
That showing at EVO did not make this game look good unfortunately. Incredibly boring except for the one moment in history fighting game fans were cheering for ChrisG

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AndyElusive posted:

I don't have sound on because I'm at work, but is the John Stewart skin voiced by Phil Lamar?

Also glad to see MM isn't floating around in the Watchtower Bridge background while he's fighting there. Nice touch.

Too bad Fortress of Solitude doesn't do the same thing in a Doomsday Mirror Match.
Or does it? I forget.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Superman is really good but he is nowhere near as broken or dominant as Kabal. Kabal makes some matches basically as unwinnable as things get. People still have a chance against Superman, it's just hard.

Ah, okay. I'm not really familiar with MK as much as injustice so that was kinda me talking out of my rear end there, as usual. :blush:

^
It puts the background doomsday in the containment suit if it's a Doomsday mirror match, don't know what happens if one of the player doomsdays is wearing the suit, presumably it just goes to his 3rd unused costume.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Superman is a whole level above everyone else. He has better melee than the brawlers, better zoning than the zoners. It's like :psyduck:

He doesn't seem that broken to me. Then again, I have yet to find a Superman online that completely destroys me, so maybe if I fought a really good one I might change my mind.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Foodahn posted:

That showing at EVO did not make this game look good unfortunately. Incredibly boring except for the one moment in history fighting game fans were cheering for ChrisG

People were behind ChrisG when he first picked up MorriDoom because Morrigan was a novelty and he was beating back the hordes of Dark Weskers and Dark Phoenixes with that team.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Krad posted:

He doesn't seem that broken to me. Then again, I have yet to find a Superman online that completely destroys me, so maybe if I fought a really good one I might change my mind.

Yeah, I personally haven't fought any dominant superman, but seeing a bunch of top-tier players not playing superman getting dominated so thoroughly at EVO was pretty sick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't know about Kabal or any of that stuff. All I know is whenever I tuned into the stream it was either Superman or Batman vs. Somebody. Boring. Hope it's not like that next year.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, well I wasn't completely entertained by Injustice at Evo, but I wasn't disappointed by it either. I'm also not sure where I stand on Superman needing nerfs or if the community just needs to adapt debate either, but it would have been nice to see Chris G's Arrow take it.

It's just clear as crystal from the SA Evo thread that this game isn't going to be nabbing any new fans from the FGC anytime soon.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, well I wasn't completely entertained by Injustice at Evo, but I wasn't disappointed by it either. I'm also not sure where I stand on Superman needing nerfs or if the community just needs to adapt debate either, but it would have been nice to see Chris G's Arrow take it.

It's just clear as crystal from the SA Evo thread that this game isn't going to be nabbing any new fans from the FGC anytime soon.

People were tuning in already looking for reasons to hate the game because it's NRS.

The problem with Superman isn't that he's that much better than the rest of the cast--he's probably the best character, but the real issue is that he's also so much easier to play than comparable characters. There's no reason to pick a character like Batman or Wonder Woman when literally five minutes in training mode will let you learn a character with even-to-favorable matchups across the board.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I almost wouldn't even mind some of the other bullshit aspects of Superman if every-drat-thing he did wasn't so incredibly safe on top of it all.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Welp, Half Life 3 confirmed. MMH looks great: Carl Lumbly, the exact right intro/outro, and holy poo poo that Super. They paid all the proper respects to this weird but awesome character. Looks like he's got a Sektor teleport, Black Adam-like strings into air grabs, and a Zod charge.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Injustice at Evo was really boring today due to lack of character variety. Day 2 was much more interesting.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yeah, Day 2 was awesome. There was a lot of Hawkgirl, Doomsday, Lex and Joker. Also some killer Ravens. Raven vs Hawkgirl was probably my match of the day!

Sure, this game needs more time to develop, but all the commentators could say during the pools is how the guys who play both this and MK really like this game (Aris, Perfect Legend) and want to keep it going.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

VarrosAnon posted:

Sure, this game needs more time to develop, but all the commentators could say during the pools is how the guys who play both this and MK really like this game (Aris, Perfect Legend) and want to keep it going.

It's actually a really fun, dynamic game competitively and has a lot less bullshit than plenty of other, more established games that get a pass due to their developers. Unless it falls apart in a massive way it'll be back at Evo next year.

e: Calling it now that Superman won't be nearly as big of an issue in a couple of months and everyone will be bitching about Batman instead.

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow Andy isn't kidding, went back and they are hating on this game in the EVO thread. Pages of people hoping it never comes back, what a missed opportunity for NRS. They need to do something about Superman, people universally hate his play style. They basically killed Deathstroke for the same reasons so it wouldn't be out of character.

Note that I am complete scrub tier and don't care I just want a popular dynamic fighting game that doesn't require heavy execution like all the others.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 15, 2013

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Woo J'onn and John!

Next one should be a lady. Here's hoping for Zatanna or Power Girl.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

rocket USA posted:

It's actually a really fun, dynamic game competitively and has a lot less bullshit than plenty of other, more established games that get a pass due to their developers.

I think NRS will win out in the end. They seem to be doing really interesting, new things in the wake of Capcom, Namco and Konami milking their franchises, maybe the new will win out in the end.

I mean, EVO really does showcase the most traditional, arcane fanbase for fighting games in existence. People who still celebrate a full parry that happened 9 years ago in the thirty-seventh some odd version of SF3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wow Andy isn't kidding, went back and they are hating on this game in the EVO thread. Pages of people hoping it never comes back, what a missed opportunity for NRS. They need to do something about Superman, people universally hate his play style. They basically killed Deathstroke for the same reasons so it wouldn't be out of character.

Note that I am complete scrub tier and don't care I just want a popular fighting game that doesn't require heavy execution like all the others.

We're talking people who have an OP that recommends a $100 stick as entry level. They're a little crazy.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

That's the one thing I don't get: Superman gets to keep doing everything that Deathstroke was nerfed for :raise:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rocket USA posted:

e: Calling it now that Superman won't be nearly as big of an issue in a couple of months and everyone will be bitching about Batman instead.

Seriously, every character is the broken character that has to be nerfed... until somebody finds a crack in their armor or finds some new great combo with another character and then some then THEY become the "broken" character.

But then again I'm a big baby who pretty much plays offline only and what do I know talking about the pro community. Also Manhunter looks fun as hell and I demand an old man alt.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
It's hard for me to understand the Injustice hate, it being what introduced me to the FGC. Even when I was barely beginning it was fun watching matches because you can always clearly see how someone gets punished. I have no loving clue what's going on in the other games 90% of the time. I tried to watch whatever's streaming right now and everything's just so flashy and nonstop.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Holy Calamity! posted:

It's hard for me to understand the Injustice hate, it being what introduced me to the FGC. Even when I was barely beginning it was fun watching matches because you can always clearly see how someone gets punished. I have no loving clue what's going on in the other games 90% of the time. I tried to watch whatever's streaming right now and everything's just so flashy and nonstop.

That's the thing, I think Injustice is perfect for new players and NRS is poised to be one of the best in the business for making accessible yet deep fighting titles. Just, the FGC is not the kind of community you want for newer players. I think Cross Assault showcased that, but it is getting better a lot faster. Soon enough we'll all be bowing down to MKvsDC: Even More Gods Among Us and loving every minute of it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Holy Calamity! posted:

It's hard for me to understand the Injustice hate, it being what introduced me to the FGC.

Ed Boon is involved/Capcom's not involved/It's just Mortal Kombat again!/Ewwww NRS

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Ed Boon is involved/Capcom's not involved/It's just Mortal Kombat again!/Ewwww NRS

That is part of it, but there certainly are issues.

NRS can be a bit quick to the trigger and go too far with reactionary nerfs. Also, "The MK scene tends to be somewhat isolated from the rest of the fighting game community, and they're sort of a weird, whiny bunch" isn't a terribly uncommon sentiment. To be fair, it is somewhat earned, but I've seen a lot of whining from people in other games as well.

I enjoy watching Injustice, but the Top 8 at Evo was pretty boring outside of ChrisG's matches.

We'll see what happens with it in the future. It does seem fairly popular, and may retain some of the players from other games it's picked up, but that's yet to be seen.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Wow Andy isn't kidding, went back and they are hating on this game in the EVO thread.

Superman made Injustice finals less than stellar, but the Evo thread is basically another version of Twitch's stream chat, with some posters lifting lines straight from the chat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AndyElusive posted:

I don't think that's a problem for NRS.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Anyone want to play? I'm rusty as poo poo and ripe for a pounding. Make a room and post here if so (or add/msg gimea RUBDOWN)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Holy Calamity! posted:

Anyone want to play? I'm rusty as poo poo and ripe for a pounding. Make a room and post here if so (or add/msg gimea RUBDOWN)

gently caress it, I'm down. I'm gonna make a room called Oomsday.

E: Might be a while, I'm downloading Zod and the compatibility patch.

Holy Calamity! posted:

K I'll be there in a sec. XBL right?

Yep.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 15, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress it, I'm down. I'm gonna make a room called Oomsday.

e: Weird, it says "Unavailable" every time I try to challenge you.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 15, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Holy Calamity! posted:

e: Weird, it says "Unavailable" every time I try to challenge you.

Same here, and both our pings seem to be fine? I'll try to restart the Xbox.

And now it doesn't seem to be able to find the Daily Challenge or whatever. What on earth is going on?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 15, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, MM looks pretty drat cool. Did they said anything else or was just the gameplay trailer?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I really want to like injustice, but not knowing anything about what went on in the pools, I told myself that if superman won then that would be the nail in the coffin of the game for me (barring some sort of big changes). I feel like superman highlights everything that I think is bad and boring about this game, and all of the characters with cool movesets and traits dont actually end up being any good. And as dumb and reactionary as many in the FGC can be, I don't think the people hating on the game after the tournament are completely out of line. I came into this game from playing only SF and guilty gear and having no opinion on NRS whatsoever, and many of their design decisions have puzzled me. I really love the clash, trait, and interactable mechanics of the game, but I really hate the input and combo system. Just my two cents after watching evo today and seeing the SFIV finals vs the injustice finals makes me think that there's a long way to go before this game could really grab me. I would still really like to see it succeed, even if only for the sake of variety.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dracula Factory posted:

I really want to like injustice, but not knowing anything about what went on in the pools, I told myself that if superman won then that would be the nail in the coffin of the game for me (barring some sort of big changes). I feel like superman highlights everything that I think is bad and boring about this game, and all of the characters with cool movesets and traits dont actually end up being any good. And as dumb and reactionary as many in the FGC can be, I don't think the people hating on the game after the tournament are completely out of line. I came into this game from playing only SF and guilty gear and having no opinion on NRS whatsoever, and many of their design decisions have puzzled me. I really love the clash, trait, and interactable mechanics of the game, but I really hate the input and combo system. Just my two cents after watching evo today and seeing the SFIV finals vs the injustice finals makes me think that there's a long way to go before this game could really grab me. I would still really like to see it succeed, even if only for the sake of variety.

Just trying to get a different perspective here, what don't you like about the combo system of Injustice? It's pretty much the first fighting game that I've ever gotten serious in and the easy combo system is one of the main reasons for that, I was wondering why FGC people don't seem to like it as much.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

NRS can be a bit quick to the trigger and go too far with reactionary nerfs.

People say this but they've been extremely conservative with the patches this time around in comparison with MK9, where characters would go from monstrous to garbage overnight. Like the most drastic nerfs since the April day0 patch have been BA's non-MB divekick being made punishable, KF's trait getting recovery frames, and all the poo poo that happened to Scorpion/Deathstroke. The nerf to metropolis rooftop and the d2 buff were probably the most impactful changes otherwise. Superman has been "nerfed" like 4 separate times yet they are all barely worth mentioning.

If anything the complaints have been that the Scorpion nerf didn't happen until after CEO, and the upcoming salvo of Superman nerfs won't happen until after EVO. Hopefully the MMH patch hits before VxG.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm in the room nobabbiesplzjustpowerfulmen if anyone wants to fight

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

All of the characters with cool movesets and traits don't actually end up being any good.

Unless you're planning to play at tourneys and against competition-level players, this is almost a complete non-issue. Like hell man, my favorite and best character is Bane, the guy widely considered to be the bottom of the barrel. I've still managed to keep a really good record with him and it's always fun beating pubbies to a pulp with him, even Superman's and the other flavor of the month poo poo when it comes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The funny thing is I think with Supes most of his poo poo was fine. Eyelasers don't bug me. His super quick full screen special doesn't even bug me. I think if Superman didn't have those people would be all "Well this isn't a fighting Superman." the thing that seemed off just watching the stream was his f23 looked far too safe. Big lumbering looking shots and every single superman used them with impunity almost to slowly push people across the screen even while blocking. I think if that wasn't AS safe it would have been a far different tourney or at least the Supes there wouldn't just kinda strut across the finish.

• Locked thread